DNC *Rule Change* Could Let Mini-Mike Participate In Debates--Berned!

catkinZ8a

What about Booker and Castro?

Sanders campaign blasts DNC debate rules change as an attempt to let Bloomberg 'buy his way onto the stage'

Hunter Walker White House Correspondent,Yahoo NewsJanuary 31, 2020

CRESTON, Iowa — Allies of Sen. Bernie Sanders railed against a Democratic National Committee rules change that was announced on Friday and framed it as an attempt to boost billionaire presidential candidate Michael Bloomberg.

Liberal filmmaker Michael Moore brought up the change at a Sanders campaign town hall at Iowa’s Southwestern Community College where he spoke along with the independent Vermont senator’s wife, Jane Sanders. Moore suggested the rules change could have been made because Bloomberg promised to give money to the DNC.

“I’d like to hear full transparency from the DNC and tell us how much he has offered to give in the November election if they let him on the stage,” Moore said of Bloomberg. “I just think this is what we’re so used to on our side where people that are supposed to be on our side end up being for the people with the money.”

Xochitl Hinojosa, the communications director of the DNC, told Yahoo News “there was not” a promise of any donation from Bloomberg. She also had harsh words for Moore.

“This is outrageous. These conspiracy theories divide our party. Our criteria reflects the actual votes in two states and broad support through polling. Period,” Hinojosa said.

The original rules that were announced by the DNC ahead of the Democratic presidential primary race required candidates to meet polling thresholds and have hundreds of thousands of donors in order to participate in debates. Those requirements led several major candidates to be excluded from participating. The new rules, which are in effect for the debate scheduled for Feb. 19 in Nevada, require presidential hopefuls to meet a polling threshold in multiple surveys or win a single delegate in the Iowa caucuses or New Hampshire primary.

Bloomberg donated $300,000 to the DNC two days before he entered the presidential race in November, Vice News reported. The New York billionaire has also pledged to pay roughly 500 of his staffers to continue working through Election Day, whoever wins the Democratic nomination.

Hinojosa also defended the rules change in a tweet where she pointed to past comments DNC Chairman Tom Perez made last year indicating the committee might consider changing the rules as people began casting votes in early states.

“We have said for months … that once people start voting, the debate threshold would change and the results of those contests would be reflected. We will have the results of TWO elections by the NV debate,” Hinojosa wrote, referring to Iowa and New Hampshire.

Bloomberg is self-funding his campaign with his personal fortune, which is reported to be worth more than $50 billion. He would not have been able to qualify for debates through the prior rules that counted donors. Bloomberg entered the race relatively late and will not be participating in the first four states to vote in the primary, including Iowa, which holds its caucuses on Feb. 3, and New Hampshire. While he won’t be able to meet the new delegate requirement, the polling threshold provides an avenue for Bloomberg to be included in the Feb. 19 debate. So far, Bloomberg has met the threshold in one national poll that would count under the rules change. He will need to earn similar numbers — 10 percent in four national polls or 12 percent in a pair of polls in South Carolina and Nevada — by Feb. 18 to qualify. Bloomberg’s campaign did not respond to a request for comment on this story.

Moore, who has been campaigning for Sanders in Iowa while the senator has been in Washington for President Trump’s impeachment trial, told the town hall audience that the donor requirements were a good way for candidates to show they have “enough support.” He also noted Sanders has more individual donors than any other Democratic candidate and alluded to the fact Bloomberg began his political career as a Republican.

“They removed that rule today so that they could allow Michael Bloomberg to be on the stage, to allow a billionaire who was elected the Republican mayor of New York City in 2001. They did this just for him,” Moore said of the DNC. “He doesn’t have to prove that he has any support amongst people who’d be willing to give him money, because of course, he’s just using his own money so that he could actually buy his way onto the stage.”

Moore’s comments echoed a statement from Sanders’s senior adviser, Jeff Weaver, that the campaign sent out shortly after news of the rules change broke.

“To now change the rules in the middle of the game to accommodate Mike Bloomberg, who is trying to buy his way into the Democratic nomination, is wrong. That’s the definition of a rigged system,” Weaver said.

The back and forth with the DNC echoes the 2016 presidential race when the Sanders campaign argued the committee was favoring former first lady Hillary Clinton over Sanders by, among other things, scheduling debates in poorly watched time slots. In the aftermath of that race, Sanders was allowed to select allies who helped come up with reforms to the presidential nominating process along with elements of the Democratic Party establishment.

Jane Sanders, the senator’s wife, found out about the rule change from Yahoo News just after she spoke at the town hall.

“Did they decide on it?” she asked in apparent disbelief.

Jane then let out an exasperated sigh and referenced other Democratic candidates who missed debates due to the prior requirements.

“The rules have been clear, and Cory Booker and Andrew Yang and Tulsi Gabbard have not met one of the two requirements and they haven’t gotten any breaks,” Jane said. “Is it just the billionaires who can change the rules? That doesn’t seem right.”

Booker cited missing the debates as a major factor when he dropped out of the race earlier this month. He likely could have qualified under the new requirements. Booker’s former campaign staffers have been vocal in criticizing the rules change on Twitter. Addisu Demissie, Booker’s ex-campaign manager, responded to a question about the switch by posting a GIF. It showed the pop singer Justin Timberlake staring ahead in clear frustration.

https://news.yahoo.com/sanders-campaign-blasts-dnc-debate-rules-change-as-an-attempt-to-let-bloomberg-buy-his-way-onto-the-stage-004640307.html

SaveComment66Like
Comments (66)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
queenmargo

Funny.

Save    
catkinZ8a

WOW! Democrats Change Rules to Allow Bloomberg on Stage for Debates — But Blocked Booker and Castro with Same Rule… Sounds Racist!

The DNC, via the chairman Tom Perez’ sole dictatorial decision, without any voting, drastically revised its debate requirements, opening the door for Mike Bloomberg to join the stage starting in mid-February.
The changes were announced this week. Yet, historian Jon Meacham calls our president a “king”.

The DNC drastically shifts debate requirements, opening the door for Bloomberg to join the stage starting in mid-Februaryhttps://t.co/vusk0JBTQS

— POLITICO (@politico) January 31, 2020

This same Democrat Party did not change the rules for Rep. Julian Castro or Senator Cory Booker or any of the other candidates. The remaining candidates react:

Sanders campaign on DNC debate rule change: “To now change the rules in the middle of the game to accommodate Mike Bloomberg, who is trying to buy his way into the Democratic nomination, is wrong. That’s the definition of a rigged system.”

— Dave Weigel (@daveweigel) January 31, 2020

Let’s make one thing clear: @TheDemocrats decision to change the rules now to accommodate Mike Bloomberg and not changing them in the past to ensure a more diverse debate stage is just plain wrong.https://t.co/BoCVpahWpx

— Tom Steyer (@TomSteyer) January 31, 2020

Billionaire Bloomberg just bought the @DNC. #PayToPlay #StandWithTulsi

— Tulsi Gabbard 🌺 (@TulsiGabbard) January 31, 2020

Sounds racist, huh?

Via Comfortably Smug.

Wow, they didn't change the requirements for Booker, Castro, or anyone else…..

Wanna know why? https://t.co/KemmBMOyUe

— Comfortably Smug (@ComfortablySmug) January 31, 2020

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/01/wow-democrats-change-rules-to-allow-bloomberg-on-stage-for-debates-but-blocked-booker-and-castro-with-same-rule-sounds-racist/

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

Again... funny! lol

2 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

"Stop and frisk black and Hispanic men." Mini-Mike Bloomberg

Save    
queenmargo

LOL Stan - I am a pessimist by nature.

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

The policy wasn’t racist, the execution may have been. NYC was also the cleanest and safest I’ve remembered it in my lifetime, under his watch. You have to consider the economic makeup of NYC. Hint: whites make up about 7% of the homeless shelter population. Tonight there were anti-police protests in the subways. Gee I wonder why it seems that more minorities get stopped for fare evasion.

Frankly, based on countless conversations of this nature we’ve had here, every Trumpster here would be arguing in Bloomberg’s defense on this topic, if they were being honest.

2 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Mini-Mike Bloomberg was toast before he began, he just doesn't know it.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Awesome response.

1 Like Save    
althea_gw

It looks like the sequel to 2016 when the presidential election primary was more like what one would expect in a banana republic than a democracy. This is a really pathetic and insulting, not just insulting to the other candidates but to voters, move by the DNC.

What network is sponsoring the upcoming charade?

3 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

This isn't about Bloomberg. This is about Bernie. The DNC and their media lapdogs have got to figure a way to take him out. They thought Biden was their savior, but they are not so sure any more, so they'll switch to Bloomberg.

5 Likes Save    
lurker111

Bernie could split the party and destroy the DNC forever. I hope he does.

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

Frankly, based on countless conversations of this nature we’ve had here,
every Trumpster here would be arguing in Bloomberg’s defense on this
topic, if they were being honest.

Stop and frisk? No, I've always said that it was unconstitutional. Understand your rights, and don't let the crats get away with their unconstitutional laws. They don't understand the constitution, our rights, or our laws, and are unfit for office.

In fact, those who were stopped and frisked have every right to sue, and I hope they do. A class action lawsuit would be a good idea.

Edit: Skin color isn't a factor. The law was unconstitutional. The judge was half right. It was a violation of the 4th and 5th amendments. I'll be happy to explain it to the late-bloomer and the judge.

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Stop and frisk? No, I've always said that it was unconstitutional. Understand your rights, and don't let the crats get away with their unconstitutional laws. They don't understand the constitution, our rights, or our laws, and are unfit for office.

Was Terry v Ohio overturned? I must have missed that news.

In fact, those who were stopped and frisked have every right to sue, and I hope they do. A class action lawsuit would be a good idea.

Everybody has every right to sue for anything. In cases where S&F was abused, probably many, I’d hope for some satisfaction for the plaintiff.

Save    
lurker111

Was Terry v Ohio overturned? I must have missed that news.

I'm not familiar with the case. No comment.

Save    
foodonastump

I'm not familiar with the case. No comment.

Might want to read it as it’s directly related to the constitutionality of S&F.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Just looked at RCP. Bloomberg has been in the top 5 of every national poll they list for the month of January, except for the very first one. Only reason he shouldn’t be on the stage at this point is if you’re afraid of him. And being as he’s pledged full support and resources to whoever wins***, no Democrat should be afraid.

*** Who pledges such support to the winner, so early on? Pretty clear indication that he’s realistic about his chances. So much for “Mini-Mike Bloomberg was toast before he began, he just doesn't know it.”

2 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

I deleted a thread I started on this. Sorry bout that catkin.

Yeah, it's interesting that the DNC is making a path for an elite, white, capitalist billionaire male.

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

foodonastump The
policy wasn’t racist, the execution may have been. NYC was also the
cleanest and safest I’ve remembered it in my lifetime, under his watch.

This is at odds with the Left's message.

It's true tho.

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

So the DNC set up rules to insure that candidates broad funding from as many people as possible, but then changed their own rules to accommodate Mr. Bloomberg because enough people like him.

This is not surprising because liberal principles are often situational and subject to change if it helps the party. Not sure what that does to their platform of overturning Citizens United and public financing of candidates.

"Yeah but Trump...!" You may proceed when ready.

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Again, he’s solidly in the top 5 in polling. No one else who has been excluded can make that claim. He belongs on stage whether you have a cute nickname for him or not. If you’re arguing against the initial criteria, was the stage not crowded enough for you? What would have been more to your liking? I’m sure you can find a suggestion box somewhere.

3 Likes Save    
bfox254

I hope Bloomberg gains traction. He's the type of candidate that moderate republicans like myself can support.

Since Bernie's not a democrat. I don't understand how or why he campaigns as one.

2 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

The chances of a brokered convention keep improving.

Save    
woodnymph2_gw

bfox, he may also be the type of candidate that moderate democrats can support....

2 Likes Save    
bfox254

I agree woodnymph. I think he has the best chance of the bunch of beating Trump and that's what matters to me most.

4 Likes Save    
numbersjunkie

"So the DNC set up rules to insure that candidates broad funding from as many people as possible, but then changed their own rules to accommodate Mr. Bloomberg because enough people like him."

People "like" him because they see his face on TV every 5 minutes and "like" his message about defeating Trump. Most of those who "support" him in the polls have not spent 30 minutes looking at the candidates and their policies or learning about their backgrounds and achievements. Remember folks, most Americans are not into politics the way we are here on HT or on Twitter.

If he gets the nomination, it will be a lot like how Trump got the nomination and won the election - by buying air time and appealing to peoples raw emotions. Substance no longer matters.

Save    
woodnymph2_gw

bfox, I wrote the same on another thread. You and I agree on what matters most.

1 Like Save    
althea_gw

I haven't seen a single Bloomberg commercial, not having a t.v., but I did get a letter from his campaign in the mail. It was awfully sparse on policy and I didn't agree with his positions on the couple of issues he mentioned. It was mostly about beating Trump. I recycled the letter.

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

Change the rules. Screw Bernie.Get a back-up plan for Biden.

Save    
Nana H

Am not convinced Bloomberg cares if he is on the stage. From what I see of him he isn't really campaigning against the other potentials , he is already in the national and competing against Trump.

I don't have any opinion on the rule change but I do think Bloomberg would ensure an uptick in the viewing

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

I find it quite amusing that the "woke" party for diversity is likely to soon find itself hosting a 2020 primary contest between three old white males (Biden, Sanders and Bloomberg) as the only viable choices.

Convictions, schmonvictions.

Save    
numbersjunkie

So he has the best chance of beating Trump? I don't think so. In order to beat Trump we need massive turnout, and I don't think he can generate that kind of excitement among those who typically stay home on election day. You're talking about voting for the lessor of 2 evils - same spot we were in with Hillary and we lost. We need the black vote, the youth vote to win this one.

2 Likes Save    
bfox254

Unlike Trump, Bloomberg is respected, has political experience and built a wildly successful business from scratch. He's richer and more powerful than Trump. You fight fire with fire. I don't think it's at all true that Bloomberg lacks substance. He has a long history as mayor of our country's largest city and has been in the trenches battling for climate change and gun control initiatives for quite some time.

2 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

The policy [NYC's stop-and-frisk] wasn’t racist, the execution may have been.

There's no may have been, it was racist.

. . . federal judge Shira Scheindlin . . . issued a landmark ruling finding that the New York Police Department's policy of stopping and frisking mostly black and brown New Yorkers without cause violated their constitutional rights.

https://www.newsweek.com/bloomberg-defended-stop-frisk-years-now-hes-sorry-give-me-break-opinion-1474523

Save    
woodnymph2_gw

I would love to see a debate of Trump vs. Bloomberg. Trump would be utterly eviscerated. Bloomberg has the New Yorker kind of "smarts" that would really expose Trump for what he pretends to be. I agree with bfox that he has terrific background experience. In many ways, he is the opposite of Trump, in terms of philanthropy, gun control, and awareness of climate change. And he cares.

1 Like Save    
woodnymph2_gw

nancy, he apologized. It seemed genuine to me.

Save    

Bloomberg apologized after years of defending his stop-and-frisk policy -- even after a federal judge determined it was unconstitutional. And he criticized the judge for her ruling. Remind you of someone else? The authoritarian streak is disconcerting.

His formal policy came days before his official bid as a presidential candidate.

He is not the candidate to attract minority voters.

Save    
bfox254

Would love to see Bloomberg team up with Kamala Harris or Amy K. as VP

1 Like Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Exactly my thoughts bfox. We seem to be on the same page.

2 Likes Save    
bfox254

The only candidate attracting minority voters currently is Biden. I like Biden but have doubts if he can go the distance against Trump.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

Might want to read it as it’s directly related to the constitutionality of S&F.

I read a little bit and it seems the police had probable cause due to suspicious behavior. It was a nice try. I agree with the ruling. I wouldn't call this an example of S&F. Just good police work.

Save    
althea_gw

bfox, Bernie is right up there with non-white voters and leads with non-white voters under 35.

Save    
llucy

I think about how Dt won 2016 because of "electoral college" votes. He didn't win on 'non-white' votes, or 'under 35' votes, In those states DT won the electoral votes, Bloomberg may be seen as the best choice for those who don't want another 4 years of Trump.

I think many democrats overestimated HC's popularity when they pushed her as a presidential candidate. I hope they don't make the same mistake with Biden or Bernie, or another candidate this year.

1 Like Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

Prefer Mini-Mike to Doofus-Don. Someone asked Bloomberg "What do you think if the election ends up being two billionaires fighting it out against each other". Bloomberg replied "Who's the other one?" That's funny.

8 Likes Save    
Tito Milian

Touting wealth. How woke.

Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

Did you really just say that?

1 Like Save    
bfox254

Very funny, jerzeegirl. Trump compares himself to everyone by how wealthy they are. Bloomberg's richer by a mile. That will really get under Trump's skin.

2 Likes Save    
soupgirl53

Any Democrat is better than Trump and there is no way the Trumpsters or the GOP are going to succeed in this transparent effort to create divisions among Democrats.

3 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

With Bernie Sanders gaining steam a week before the Iowa caucuses, tormented Democrats are second-guessing what they say was a hands-off strategy against the Vermont senator in the 2020 primary.

They fear a repeat of 2016 is in the making — when mainstream Republicans scoffed at the idea that Donald Trump could ever win the nomination, until he became unstoppable — only this time from the left.

“The Republican money people were laughing at Trump when he came down the escalator and they kept laughing at him for way too long, until ‘holy crap’ he’s winning primaries,” Matt Bennett, co-founder of Third Way told POLITICO. Bennett said he’s attempted for weeks to find an organized effort to combat Sanders’ rise, so far, to no avail. “What I fear is one will emerge too late, as what happened with Trump.”

Many Democrats say they respect the support behind Sanders but fear a self-described Democratic socialist would cede must-win battlegrounds to Trump.

“Swing states have a higher concentration of swing voters. We need a nominee who draws them to the Democratic column,” said Rahm Emanuel, the former Chicago mayor and chief of staff to Obama. “Sanders’ theory, like Trump’s for the right, is based on the notion of a higher turnout of infrequent voters.”

Sanders is in a strong position, based on recent polls, to win Iowa and then New Hampshire. A one-two punch in the first two states could make him hard to stop. Joe Biden’s firewall — his popularity among African-Americans in South Carolina and other Southern states — would face a severe test.

But the Democratic establishment is caught in a catch-22: Attack Sanders and risk galvanizing his supporters and turning him into a martyr of the far-left. Or leave him alone and watch him continue to gather momentum.

Their bind unfolded in plain sight last week when Hillary Clinton complained that “nobody likes” Sanders and wouldn’t initially commit to backing him if he were the nominee. (She later clarified that she would do so.) Clinton suffered a backlash, and Sanders’ has only gained strength in recent days.

That’s largely why Bennett’s push for organized opposition to Sanders isn’t gaining traction.

“We’re not wanting to put our finger on the scale in any way,” said a board member of Priorities USA, the Democrats’ largest super PAC.

Sanders struggled to break out in polls for months in 2019 as fellow progressive Elizabeth Warren mounted a strong campaign. But Warren regressed after she was besieged with questions over how she would pay for Medicare for All — ironically Sanders’ signature issue, but over which he had not been pressed for similar specifics, critics said. (Last week, he again gave a vague answer about its costs to CBS’ Norah O’Donnell.)

Bennett blamed the media for not holding Sanders to the same standard as Warren.

“They let him get away with murder,” he said. “They let him bluster past hard questions.”

Sanders campaign officials did not initially respond to requests for comment. After publication, campaign manager Faiz Shakir said in a statement to POLITICO, “Let’s be clear: our growing support results from working-class Americans from diverse backgrounds demanding an agenda that transforms our country."

Shakir added: "All Democrats should be ecstatic to witness this movement attracting new supporters. To win seats up and down the ballot, we need to generate excitement and enthusiasm that drives a huge voter turnout. Bernie Sanders has demonstrated over the course of this primary that this campaign is able to do that — and that’s why Donald Trump is nervous.”

Sanders’ resurgence began late last year. After suffering a heart attack, and leaving many to wonder if he would be forced from the race, he received a major boost from liberal darling Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

A raft of polls out this weekend had Sanders leading or in second place in Iowa, vying with Biden for the top spot. The enthusiasm for Sanders was on display in Iowa on Sunday, when 1,100 people, according to his campaign, turned out to a rally in Sioux City co-hosted by Ocasio-Cortez and Michael Moore.

“He’s in a position to win Iowa and New Hampshire at this point,” said Ben LaBolt, Obama’s former national press secretary. “Now’s the moment. We’re a week out from Iowa. It might be too late for some states already. But it’s not too late for the nomination.”

LaBolt said Sanders’ competitors should have hit him harder on the debate stage and on the campaign trail. He argued there’s less risk of going negative now that the field has narrowed to a four or five viable candidates in Iowa and New Hampshire.

He added, “There should be a paid media strategy that would challenge him.”

Who should do that? “I don’t have the answer to that.”

Democrats face the same trick box that Republicans faced in 2016. Attacking Sanders only gins up his already enthusiastic base.

“We’re not changing our game plan,” said a Biden associate familiar with the campaign’s strategy. “We don’t feel a need to attack Bernie or anybody else.”

The Biden super PAC has also refrained from attacking the former vice president’s rivals and is not expected to level attacks against Sanders in the days before Iowa.

LaBolt argued that Trump is pushing for Sanders to win, pointing to a recent tweet from the president alleging that the Democratic Party was “rigging the election against Bernie Sanders” to try to help Biden. On Facebook, the Committee to Defend the President, a pro-Trump dark money group is currently running ads against Biden.

Iowa Attorney General Tom Miller, who recently shifted his support from Steve Bullock to Biden, argued that Sanders would harm down-ballot Democrats in battleground districts. Miller pointed to Sanders’ support for Medicare for All and universal free college as issues that could damage other Democrats on the ballot.

“I think there's a concern among some, and I think it's fairly widespread,” he said, “that if Bernie is the nominee he may well lose and take other Democrats down with him.”

“He’s in a position to win Iowa and New Hampshire at this point,” said Ben LaBolt, Obama’s former national press secretary. “Now’s the moment. We’re a week out from Iowa. It might be too late for some states already. But it’s not too late for the nomination.”

LaBolt said Sanders’ competitors should have hit him harder on the debate stage and on the campaign trail. He argued there’s less risk of going negative now that the field has narrowed to a four or five viable candidates in Iowa and New Hampshire.

He added, “There should be a paid media strategy that would challenge him.”

Who should do that? “I don’t have the answer to that.”

Democrats face the same trick box that Republicans faced in 2016. Attacking Sanders only gins up his already enthusiastic base.

“We’re not changing our game plan,” said a Biden associate familiar with the campaign’s strategy. “We don’t feel a need to attack Bernie or anybody else.”

The Biden super PAC has also refrained from attacking the former vice president’s rivals and is not expected to level attacks against Sanders in the days before Iowa.

LaBolt argued that Trump is pushing for Sanders to win, pointing to a recent tweet from the president alleging that the Democratic Party was “rigging the election against Bernie Sanders” to try to help Biden. On Facebook, the Committee to Defend the President, a pro-Trump dark money group is currently running ads against Biden.

Iowa Attorney General Tom Miller, who recently shifted his support from Steve Bullock to Biden, argued that Sanders would harm down-ballot Democrats in battleground districts. Miller pointed to Sanders’ support for Medicare for All and universal free college as issues that could damage other Democrats on the ballot.

“I think there's a concern among some, and I think it's fairly widespread,” he said, “that if Bernie is the nominee he may well lose and take other Democrats down with him.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/27/democrats-bernie-sanders-rise-105825

Save    
cattyles

It’s touching that y’all are so concerned about Bernie. Sweet, really.

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

Who will replace has-been, non-genius Needles Nancy?

Save    

The Democratic Party has long-standing tensions between the progressives and the DLC-types (who Moore calls "corporate" Democrats).

Nothing new here that hasn't been around for decades.

1 Like Save    
zmith

Vote blue, no matter who!!!

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

Even if once again, as in 2016, the Democrat candidate buys their nomination.

What a joke.

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

con't.

What would these incredible tax hikes do to career fields that are already known for not paying well – namely, the emergency responder community?

For the record, the vast majority in that community do what they do because they have a heart to serve, not because they are looking to make a financial windfall. But what would happen to the current work force if everyone’s pay was cut in half? What would the impact be on recruiting efforts?

For the sake of this argument, we will use the national average annual salary for a cop in the US, $48,739.

The Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget (CRFB) has done voters a favor by spelling out what kinds of new taxes it would take to come up with that much money. The following calculations and percentages are all part of a breakdown on Democratic campaign promise costs done by the CRFB.

Using Medicare for All as the primary example, this huge, single-payer government health plan backed by Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren and several other Democratic presidential candidates, say it’s time to think big and move to a health plan that covers everyone.

Getting there is a bit tricky, however. A variety of analyses estimate that Medicare for All would require at least $3 trillion in new spending. That’s about as much revenue as the government currently generates. So, if paid for through new taxes, federal rates would have to theoretically double.

Warren justifies many of her programs by saying all it would take is “two cents” from the wealthy. That’s a reference to her 2% wealth tax on ultra-millionaires.

But Medicare for All would be so expensive that if you taxed top earners at 100%, yes, take every penny, of people earning more than $408,000 per year—you’d still fall far short. And everybody getting taxed at 100% would obviously stop working.

But that scenario would not only not be possible, it would also eliminate most law enforcement officers from the conversation.

Moving on to methods that have been discussed, the CRFB outlined a variety of options.

A 42% national sales tax (known as a valued-added tax) would generate about $3 trillion in revenue. It would also destroy the consumer spending that’s the backbone of the U.S. economy. A tax of that magnitude would be like 42% inflation, wrecking consumer budgets and the many companies that depend on them, from Walmart and Amazon to your local car dealer.

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/bernie-sanders-plan-for-free-stuff-would-cost-at-least-60-trillion/

Save    
catkinZ8a

After years of brutal dictatorship and running Venezuela -- a formerly rich and prosperous country -- into the ground, the reign of socialist Nicolas Maduro is coming to an end.

But as Maduro desperately tries to hold onto power by ordering military forces to shoot protestors in the streets, lets take a look at the American politicians who have endorsed his disastrous policies.

First up, Bernie Sanders. On his official Senate website, Sanderstouts a "must read" op-ed that declares the American Dream more reachable in Venezuela than the United States.

These days, the American dream is more apt to be realized in South America, in places such as Ecuador, Venezuela and Argentina, where incomes are actually more equal today than they are in the land of Horatio Alger. Who's the banana republic now?

Oh my...

This didn’t age well...

Bernie Sanders’ “Must Read” section: “These days, the American dream is more apt to be realized in... Venezuela.” pic.twitter.com/pNAvaWsfcN— Kayleigh McEnany (@kayleighmcenany) January 24, 2019

Next, newly minted Congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez:

And there it is, @AOC opposing the Venezuelan movement to depose evil dictator Maduro pic.twitter.com/HkDbniZIBo— Ben Shapiro (@benshapiro) January 24, 2019

And her freshman colleague Ilhan Omar:

We cannot hand pick leaders for other countries on behalf of multinational corporate interests. The legislature cannot seize power from the President, and Venezuela's Supreme Court has declared their actions unconstitutional.https://t.co/rK5tG5CdAv https://t.co/mfkkcFWgIc— Ilhan Omar (@IlhanMN) January 25, 2019

Congresswoman Omar is of course ignoring the people of Venezuela.

#Update: Another massive video of protestors gathering in #Caracas in #Venezuela. pic.twitter.com/17aTZ5bIv3— Sotiri Dimpinoudis (@sotiridi) January 23, 2019

As a reminder, Venezuelans have been breaking into zoos and eating the animals due to starvation under Maduro. They've been left to hunt cats and dogs in the streets and desperately smuggle milk on their bodies as drug smugglers do with narcotics. Medical care is non-existent.

Maduro's land confiscation left farms decimated and his Marxist policies of abolishing property rights, inheritance and centralization of credit to the state have led to mass poverty. Rationing of electricity and other utilities is severe.

This is what everything comes down to, from the CATO Institute:

Despite frequent references to the late Hugo Chavez’s “Bolivarian” revolution, the Maduro playbook is nothing more than a rehashing of Marx and Engels’ ten-point plan. This was laid out in the Communist Manifesto– a crystal-clear road map of where they wanted to take their adherents. Once you reflect on the Manifesto’s ten-point plan, you realize that Maduro (and many other politicians elsewhere) aren’t very original.

The results of these Manifesto-like policies are clear. The World Bank ranked Venezuela a dismal 181 out of 189 in its 2014 “Doing Business” rankings. This puts Venezuela well behind such war-torn nations as Syria, Iraq, and Afghanistan.

While Maduro may think of himself as modern-day Robin Hood, he has a lot more in common with Edward John Smith, captain of the RMS Titanic. That said, the economic misery created by adherence to the Communist Manifesto can take a long time to sink a ship (think USSR).

The left, unsurprisingly, continues to back Maduro's ideology and his devastating tyranny.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2019/01/25/flashback-when-bernie-sanders-said-america-should-be-like-venezuela-n2540180

Save    
cattyles

Is the point of all that a change of heart about Bernie? Is he back to being a scary socialist that will have us eating zoo animals? You lost me somewhere between paragraph 2 and 89.

3 Likes Save    
how2girl

woodnymph2_gw

I would love to see a debate of Trump vs. Bloomberg. Trump would be utterly eviscerated. Bloomberg has the New Yorker kind of "smarts" that would really expose Trump for what he pretends to be. I agree with bfox that he has terrific background experience. In many ways, he is the opposite of Trump, in terms of philanthropy, gun control, and awareness of climate change. And he cares.

Totally, can’t wait for that debate!

1 Like Save    
lurker111

So much diversity. Nothing but old white men.

2 Likes Save    
cattyles

Why would we not love a billionaire sinking his own money into poking trump in the eye?

1 Like Save    
justerrilynn(10)

Why would we not love a billionaire sinking his own money into poking trump in the eye?

Can he reach Trumps eye?

3 Likes Save    
zmith

Someone doesn't know the difference between 6'-2" and 5'-8".

Save    
queenmargo

Maybe with a box, lol

2 Likes Save    

Is there something humorous about being 5'8"?

Bloomberg is taller than my father and my husband.

Save    
queenmargo

Lots of jokes out there about tall people, fat people, blonde people.... humor is all abound;)

Save    
zmith

Nancy, being tall is a measure of a man's machismo, which is a very important quality in a president. Apparently someone 6 inches shorter than Trump wouldn't be able to reach to stick him in the eye.

Save    
queenmargo

I stood up in a bar one day. I think I was in my 30's. When I got off the bar stool, a guy slowly looked at me from my feet to my eyes and said " basketball", I looked him up and down and said "jockey".

Tit for tat;)

2 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular Could Techies Get a Floating Home Near California?
International companies would catch a big business break, and the apartments could be cool. But what are the odds of success? Weigh in here
Full Story
Features Can Tidying Up Result in Life-Changing Magic?
Organizing phenom Marie Kondo promises big results — if you embrace enormous changes and tough choices
Full Story
Cleaning Dishwasher vs. Hand-Washing Debate Finally Solved — Sort Of
Readers in 8 countries weigh in on whether an appliance saves time, water and sanity or if washing by hand is the only saving grace
Full Story