BREXIT Day January 31, 2020!

catkinZ8a

Cheerio, Europe: Today, finally, is Brexit day for Britain

By JILL LAWLESS AND RAF CASERT

ASSOCIATED PRESS |JAN 31, 2020 | 9:20 AM| LONDON

Britain begins the day as a member of the European Union. Its status at the end of the day — as a proud nation that has reclaimed its sovereignty, or a diminished presence in Europe and the world — will still be up for debate.

The EU will have to bounce back from one of its biggest setbacks in its 62-year history to confront an ever more complicated world as its former member becomes a competitor, just across the English Channel.

Britain officially departs the EU at 11 p.m. local time Friday, midnight in Brussels (2300 GMT, 6 p.m. EST). The departure comes 3½ years after the country voted by a margin of 52%-48% to walk away from the club that it had joined in 1973.

It’s the first time a country has left the EU, and many in the bloc rued the day. In Brussels, EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen lamented that “as the sun rises tomorrow a new chapter for our union of 27 will start."

But she warned Brexit day would mark a major loss for the U.K. and said the island nation is heading for a lonelier existence. “Strength does not lie in splendid isolation, but in our unique union." Newspapers across the continent were marking the departure with headlines of “Adieu to Europe" and “Bye-Bye!” next to a Union Jack flag.

U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson was holding a Cabinet meeting in the pro-Brexit town of Sunderland, in northeast England. He is scheduled to deliver a pre-recorded address to the country an hour before departure, calling Brexit “not an end but a beginning.”

According to his office, he will describe it as "a moment of real national renewal and change.”

The government hopes the moment will be marked in a dignified, nontriumphalist fashion, with red, white and blue lights illuminating government buildings and a countdown clock projected onto the prime minister’s 10 Downing St. residence.

Inside, Johnson will gather with Cabinet ministers, aides, civil servants and Brexit campaigners for a reception featuring English sparkling wine and canapes including shortbread with English blue cheese and roast beef with Yorkshire pudding.

Some Brexit supporters will be holding more raucous celebrations. Arch-Brexiteer Nigel Farage and his band of devotees will gather for patriotic songs and speeches in London's Parliament Square to mark a moment that even Farage sometimes doubted would ever come.

Others do not feel like indulging in any festivities. Lawyer Alice Cole-Roberts said Friday morning she expects “more and more frustration" as Brexit unfolds.

“It's a very sad day," she said. “I'm very upset that we are leaving the European Union and I simply wish it didn't happen."

For the next 11 months, the EU and Britain will already be pitted against one another as they seek to negotiate a trade and security deal as part of their new relationship.

“It is clear that the EU will be united in defending its interests," von der Leyen said. “For all third countries, the rule is that only by recognizing the EU single market rules can you reap the rewards." Britain has already vowed it will not agree to follow an EU rule book in return for unfettered trade.

“As good friends, we can be tough and fair in negotiations," she said.

Britain was never a wholehearted EU member, but actually leaving the bloc was long considered a fringe idea. It gradually gained strength within the Conservative Party, which has a wing of fierce “euroskeptics” — opponents of EU membership. Former Prime Minister David Cameron eventually agreed to hold a referendum, saying he wanted to settle the issue once and for all.

It hasn’t worked out that way. Since the 2016 vote, the U.K. has held fractious negotiations with the EU that finally, late last year, secured a deal on divorce terms. But Britain is leaving the bloc arguably as divided as it was on referendum day.

By and large, Britain's big cities voted to stay in the EU, while small towns voted to leave. England and Wales backed Brexit, while Northern Ireland and Scotland voted to remain.

Scottish Brexit Secretary Mike Russell urged the EU to “leave a light on for Scotland” so that it could eventually return.

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said Friday her Scottish National Party will continue to pressure Britain's government to authorize a second referendum on Scottish independence.

“I believe a referendum is practical this year,” she said. “I believe it can be delivered this year and I will continue to do all that I can to bring that about.”

Johnson has ruled out a second independence vote. Scotland voted to remain in the U.K. in a 2014 referendum that the prime minister's office says was a “once in a lifetime” opportunity."

In Edinburgh, the EU flag will not be lowered outside the Scottish Parliament on Friday night. Lawmakers there voted to keep it as a symbol of their opposition to Brexit. Scotland’s pro-EU government will also light up two government buildings in the blue and yellow of the EU flag on Friday.

London, which is home to more than 1 million EU citizens, also voted by a wide margin to stay in the bloc. Mayor Sadiq Khan, who has linked the Brexit vote to a rise in xenophobic abuse, said Britain’s capital would remain “a truly global, European city.”

“We continue to be a beacon for progressive ideas, for liberal values and for decency and diversity,” Khan said in a statement. “And we will continue to welcome people from around the world, regardless of the color of their skin, the color of their passport or the colors of their national flag.”

Britain’s departure is a historic moment, but it only marks the end of the first stage of the Brexit saga. When Britons wake up on Saturday, they will notice very little change. The U.K. and the EU have given themselves an 11 month “transition period” -- in which the U.K. will continue to follow the bloc’s rules -- to strike new agreements on trade, security and a host of other areas.

Negotiations are due to start in March, and the early signs are not encouraging.

Johnson’s government hopes to negotiate a deal with the EU alongside a free trade agreement with the United States. That’s also likely to be contentious. Opposition politicians are already raising concerns about issues ranging from food-safety standards — especially the U.S. practice of chlorine-washing chicken to kill germs — to drug prices.

In the English port of Dover, just 20 miles (32 kilometers) across the Channel from France, retiree Philip Barry welcomed the new era.

“My expectation is that there may be a little bump or two in the road but in the end it will even out,” he said. "Somebody once said short-term pain but long-term gain.”

https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-world/ct-nw-britain-england-brexit-20200131-xwovkw2zpzhp3il5cyw5gehusq-story.html

SaveComment33Like
Comments (33)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catkinZ8a

Save    
catkinZ8a

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

Had British neighbors over for drinks last night. They are glad the issue is settled but have no faith in Boris negotiating a deal that will leave GB better off than they were with the EU. In fact they think the end result may have GB worse off economically .

Funnily they couldn't care less if Scotland separated as a result but were very worried about Northern Ireland.

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

Of course you did.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Of course I did what?

2 Likes Save    
maddiemo

Here’s 4 headline ‘opinions’ on Brexit today from one paper.

“We remainers must now aim for Britain to do well – and the EU even better”.

“The strange thing is not that Britain is leaving the EU – it’s that we ever joined”.

“I fear the growing nastiness that Brexit is ushering in”.

“We leave the EU tonight – but Europe is still alive in people’s hearts”.

As far as the economic predictions go, all I can think of is that phrase about there being two types of economists, ones that don’t know, and the others that don’t know they don’t know.

Save    
HU-885118952

Tickety-boo!

1 Like Save    
maddiemo

I’m quite disappointed Big Ben won’t be bonging. Apparently it would cost £500,000. One MP even offered to climb up and ring it himself to save on costs.

Anyway, if all else fails, it seems the BBC might have a recording of it they could play.

We know how to do things in style.

Save    
catkinZ8a

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a
Save    
maddiemo

Thanks Catkin, that’s was supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

2 Likes Save    
Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

Looks like a Trump rally.

Save    
queenmargo

Looks like a Trump rally.

The man is infectious;))

1 Like Save    
Ann

I love the excitement in some of those pictures. Fantastic!

2 Likes Save    
terezosa / terriks

The man is infectious;))

Like the coronavirus

1 Like Save    
how2girl

catkinZ8a - why are you so happy about it?

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

Why not?

1 Like Save    
Ann

FOAS, what's the race comment about?????

1 Like Save    
Ann

Age certainly appears to have impacted voter preference.

Save    
Ann

"I find it mildly amusing."

Okay.

I find your words in that comment with the "Independent" chart inappropriate.

2 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Congrats Britain, keep your upper lip stiff, if it quivers you have only yourselves to blame.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Ann, I can’t imagine why my acknowledging a long trend of pictures a poster posts would be inappropriate, but you’re certainly entitled to your opinion.

4 Likes Save    
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Two links for those gleefully assuming that all Brits are dancing in the streets.

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/if-a-second-eu-referendum-were-held-today-how-would-you-vote/

A message for Europe from WW2 veterans

Projected on the White Cliffs of Dover last night

Furthermore, much as some posters try to make this a liberal/left versus conservative/right division it is no such thing. That shows considerable ignorance of the issues.

3 Likes Save    
Ann

FOAS, to me, the outfit of the man in the first post is far more unique and picture worthy than the color of his skin. He and the guy next to him in a different picture really dressed for the occasion, would you agree? I'll bet fans who do just that at the football game tomorrow will also be found by the cameras and make news.

You're right about me being entitled to my opinion and I think your race comment (about another poster) is out of line.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

Thank you Floral. I know it isn't a left/right issue not sure why so many seem to think it is. Perhaps it is their flawed thinking that other countries political divides mirror the American experience. They especially don' t seem to understand the profound impact of multiple parties on elections.

1 Like Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Apparently it is more complex than most Americans assume it is. Certainly way more than "left" vs. "right." I think the Brits may regret this choice down the line, but what do I know?

Hoping some of our other posters from across the pond will comment on this thread.

Save    
Ann

FOAS: "Maybe because she was once again able to find a black outlier to post?"

Ann: "You're right about me being entitled to my opinion and I think your race comment (about another poster) is out of line."

FOAS: "I did not make a race comment about another poster. I made a comment about a recurring theme of pictures posted by another poster. Please be careful with such accusations; people get touchy about such things."

I repeat, I think it was an out of line comment. "pictures" is not equal to "once again able to find a black outlier". You bet people get touchy about such things, FOAS.

3 Likes Save    
elvis

Furthermore, much as some posters try to make this a liberal/left versus conservative/right division it is no such thing

Which post was that, floral? I must have missed that one. Or is this an assumption you are making?

Ann, I wondered what a "black outlier" meant. Now that I know, you are right. It was offensive. Probably was the other FOAS, that's not normal for HT's tried and true FOAS.

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

LOL Other

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Oh stawwp gois

Save    
catkinZ8a

Save    
how2girl

They’ve got 344 days to make it work. With Farage taking credit for Brexit then he’ll have to be prepared to be responsible for any failures.

Save    
catkinZ8a

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houzz Call Tell Us Your New Year’s Resolutions for Your Home
Share your plans and dreams for your house this year — whether they involve organizing, remodeling or redecorating
Full Story
Living Rooms New This Week: 8 Ways to Place a TV in a Living Room
Different heights, angles and materials can deliver a personalized viewing experience in a space that looks good
Full Story
Remodeling Guides 8 Little Remodeling Touches That Make a Big Difference
Make your life easier while making your home nicer, with these design details you'll really appreciate
Full Story
At Iris Design Associates, our foremost goal is the creation of design that has the authentic sense of place and... Read More
Kitchen, Bath and Interior remodeling company featuring the latest bath and kitchen designs and the largest... Read More