Nate Silver says Senate rejecting witnesses may 'leave bitter taste"

dublinbay z6 (KS)

From 538--

----------------------

"Could the Senate's failure to call additional impeachment witnesses come back to haunt Republicans this November?

FiveThirtyEight's Nate Silver speculated as much Friday morning as the Senate appears poised to not call new witnesses in President Trump's impeachment trial. This is despite the fact that polling has shown Americans, including 75 percent of registered voters in a recent Quinnipiac poll, are supportive of new witnesses being called.

With this in mind, Silver on Friday speculated about the "electoral consequences," wondering if the impeding move might "leave a bitter taste in a lot of voters' mouths" this November.

. . . [W]hile Democrats have pushed for testimony from former National Security Adviser John Bolton, Republicans have pushed for testimony from former Vice President Joe Biden. Bump notes, then, that "Both sides support witnesses — but only in the abstract."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/nate-silver-speculates-senate-rejecting-153629371.html

-----------------------------

I can just hope that this failure comes back to haunt Repubs. in Nov.

Kate

SaveComment26Like
Comments (26)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nana H

I think this will bite the Republicans big time, especially once Bolton speaks.

1 Like Save    
paprikash

No, the well bitten are the democrats with their pathetic partisan shampeachment

2 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

The only way I see this not hurting the GOP is that the election is nine months away and people will forget by then. Dems must not let that happen!

1 Like Save    
Joaniepoanie

Morning Consult has Trump approval DOWN in EVERY state from 12-32 points.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Dunno, doesn't help that some GOP Senators are saying the Dems proved their case on wrongdoing. Time will tell.

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

Doesn't matter what a few say. This would have never made it to trial in a court of law.

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

The obstruction would never have been allowed in a court of law.

4 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

The GOP deserves to go down in flames. They will have no one to blame but themselves for trampling the Constitution in order to protect a corrupt president and their own political interests. Not to mention the 8 years they obstructed Obama and allowed the Tea Party and evangelicals to become influential. Good riddance to bad, hypocritical Republican rubbish.

10 Likes Save    
mudhouse

The GOP deserves to go down in flames. They will have no one to blame but themselves for trampling the Constitution in order to protect a corrupt president and their own political interests. Not to mention the 8 years they obstructed Obama and allowed the Tea Party and evangelicals to become influential.

Yeah, I just hate it when political parties allow American citizens to influence the direction of the country. It's outrageous, and dangerous!

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

What was it? 75% of Americans supported having witnesses? Or was it higher? Dems will be mentioning this over and over come the 2020 campaigns. As they should.

9 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

The only way I see this not hurting the GOP is that the election is nine months away and people will forget by then. Dems must not let that happen!

The Demos and everyone else can depend upon trump to remind the country weekly that he is corrupt to the core as well as the cronies which he has surrounded himself with. Lev is just the first "rat", many to follow.

7 Likes Save    
maddie260

Truth will out. . Trickle, trickle, trickle. This will bite every R running as much, if not more, than those Iran votes. Good luck with that.

4 Likes Save    
maddie260

Adding to above: just how proud are Rs of Nixon and Bush these days? I predict we’ll see the same degree of proud afforded dt- probably less.

3 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

The Tea Party and evangelicals are a small minority and should not have the sway that they do in the GOP. Neither should big money, like the NRA.

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

Trump is running this trial. McConnell has abdicated his job. He has decided he is Trump’s puppet rather than working for the people. Trump called and told McConnell he wants it ended today. 70% of the people want witnesses. It will sway a lot of moderate voters to the Dems, imho.

5 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

I disagree - McConnell is doing exactly what he needs to do to maintain his stranglehold on the Senate. He is nothing if not tenacious.

Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Joanie, I don't know where you live, but I disagree strongly that the Evangelicals are a small minority. Actually, they seem to be on the increase.

1 Like Save    
Chi

I hope McConnell loses his seat as much as I hope Trump loses the next election. Maybe even more.

4 Likes Save    
justerrilynn(10)

How many more witnesses do you want?

Democrats , 17 witnesses.

Republicans, 0 witnesses.

2 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

That is another gaslighting argument from the long list of GOP nonsensical talking points.

New witnesses are the ones who haven't testified yet, with first hand information. Wasn't that the last GOP talking point? That what good are witnesses with second hand info?

And GOP declined to call their own witnesses when offered the chance.

Keep shifting those goal posts...

3 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Woodnypmh....I meant that the Tea Party and evangelicals are a small minority of the entire US population.

Save    
leona_2008

trump can't control himself plus he will be emboldened by an acquittal, so he may do something so bad even the party of trump can't whitewash it. I just hope this country can survive until he is out of office.

6 Likes Save    
paprikash

There there, everything will be alright

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Moving the goal posts is working for them. Americans have a short attention span.

1 Like Save    
bfox254

Almost guaranteed Trump will do something else outlandish to remind everyone how badly he needs to go. Ever wonder how many other things Trump has done that we don't know about.... yet, Drip, drip, drip

7 Likes Save    
Anna

It’s really going to come back and bite everyone of those GOP cowards for sure. Count on it.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular 7 Tips to Sell Your Home Faster to a Younger Buyer
Draw today's home buyers by appealing to their tastes, with these guidelines from an expert decorator
Full Story
Color 12 Deadly Decorating Sins
Are your room designs suffering from a few old habits? It may be time to change your ways
Full Story
Features Can Tidying Up Result in Life-Changing Magic?
Organizing phenom Marie Kondo promises big results — if you embrace enormous changes and tough choices
Full Story