SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_864925000

New Kitchen Design - Cooking Areas, ventilation, and wall ovens

Christine M
4 years ago

I'm working on my kitchen design for my new house and would like some opinions. We want an open feel, which means that I have only one rather short wall for all of my built in appliances because most storage will be in a large walk in pantry. I cook a lot (7 days a week, lol, at least 2 times a day), so functionality is important. I have been planning on putting my refrigerator, wall ovens, and some cooking space on the wall. I will have two large islands; one island will have my sink and two drawer dishwashers, and the other was going to have my rangetop (was thinking 4 burner gas with griddle, although I'm now deliberating more combi sets with a mix of electric and gas...), with pop-up downdraft ventilation (we really don't want a large hood over one island). On the wall I was going to have a grill and deep fryer (and possibly a tepan yaki), under a good large hood. The grill has to be in the house...we live in Florida and work outside all day, so neither one of us has any desire to go outside in the heat to cook. I was leaning towards a Blue Star Charbroiler, but might end up going with the Miele electric grill yet since I'm looking at their deep fryer.

Now I'm worrying that the downdraft ventilation won't work enough to bother using it. I have an ancient Jenn air with slide in electric grill in my current house that cooks great but the downdraft pulls smoke from the electric grill, but grease goes everywhere. I've never had a house with a good hood (in fact the Jenn air is the first stove I've owned to actually vent outside the house!) so I really have no concept of how it should work (I will have to teach myself to use one for anything other than grilling), although I suspect some of the grease should also be managed?

Is it possible to install the wall ovens under the counter in the island, so I would then have more room on that wall for a larger hood and all of my cooking area? I want to do a plumbed steam oven and a regular convection oven. Are there downsides to doing the ovens under counter? I wanted wall ovens to avoid bending to clean and to make it easier to use. Thoughts??

Comments (16)