SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_647860647

what artwork to hang in foyer+adjoining hallway, landing, living room

V Smith
4 years ago

We have a good-sized house with lots of wall space and I'm nearly ready to hang pictures in a few areas (waiting for painting to be finished), but I'm not sure what to hang where. The areas where I want to hang artwork are the wall above our stairway and a hallway that is perpendicular to it, the living room above the couch and above the piano, and the landing at the bottom of the stairs.

I want to hang some family photos either in canvas prints or prints in frames, but haven't ordered them yet. And we have a set of four of these Noah's Ark themed prints. Two are 27"x44", one is slightly smaller, and one is about 35"x42". I don't currently have enough artwork for all the spaces where I want to hang it.

The largest Noah's Ark print was originally hung over the stairwell. I'm not sure whether to rehang that one on the same wall, or whether to hang the two that are the same size next to each other there. The wall over the stairwell is 125" long. There's a nook attached to it and a hallway that is perpendicular to it which also has an attached nook. I tend toward a less-is-more approach to decorating and don't want to overwhelm the area visually since the whole space is visible at once.

I could hang another Noah's Ark photo over the buffet, or re-frame the sketch that's on it now in a larger frame with a mat (sketch is in the bottom picture of the buffet), or just style the buffet and skip the artwork entirely in that nook.

I want to hang family photos on the long wall of the hallway to help camouflage the thermostat. I could either hang a couple of larger canvas prints (probably 18"x24"), or do a gallery wall with half a dozen of these antique white frames I have and put a small matching frame around the thermostat. I think two larger canvases would be less visually overwhelming than a gallery wall, but might not hide the thermostat as well.

I'm thinking about ordering some small square canvas prints (either 8"x8" or 12"x12") of my 6 kids to hang in the nook next to the hallway where the gray kids' stool is (three on each wall in a vertical line), but not sure if that would look too busy with everything else in the space.

I also have this space at the bottom of the stairs to hang artwork. The ceiling line takes a jag there to hide ductwork and I can't decide whether to center the accent table and artwork on the wall, or to center it on the part of the wall with the highest ceiling. I could hang a Noah's Ark picture there or look for some new artwork.

I also want to hang artwork over the couch and over the piano in the living room. The wall above the stairwell faces the entrance to the living room. Not sure whether to hang one or two of the Noah's Ark pictures in the living room or look for new artwork. Seems like the style of the Noah's Ark frames goes along with the style of couch set, but open to suggestions.

Comments (12)