SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katie_edwards24

Do the doors in my entryway and corridor need to match?

Katie Edwards
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hiya!

We're currently in the process of redesigning our 160yr old stone terrace house. Builders are starting on the middle floor in mid feb so it's getting very exciting.

I'm very keen on buying second hand wherever possible (I love antique furniture, its better for the environment and often cheaper too). Our middle floor plan originally only required two doors; one for a bathroom and another as a secondary hallway door. With this in mind I found a beautiful oak antique door that we got for a great price.

I thought it would be easy to find a bathroom door to match seeing as 4 panels are fairly common and we were going to get one that didnt have glazing so thought it wouldnt matter too much if they we're exactly the same. However, we've since changed the house plans which means we now need 3 doors; one bathroom, one secondary hallway door and one for the lounge which will need to be glazed too.

The plan below details roughly how I'd like the floorplan to be. (Excuse the colour/style of the doors as you are a little limited with styles on Floorplanner.

I'm struggling to find anything that matches our oak door, it seems to be an odd size and the proportion of window to wood panel is rare.

So I guess I have a couple of options and I was hoping for some input from people who know more about this than I do!

1) Use my oak door for the hallway, find two matching 4 panelled doors for the lounge and bathroom.

Cons. The heights and panel proportions are likely to be different to hall way.

Pros. At least the hallway door isnt inline with with the other two. I still get to show off my lovely door.

2) Forget about my lovely oak door and use it somewhere else in the house. Buy three matching style doors.

Cons. Might be hard to find matching used doors so will probably have to buy new. More expense.

Pros. Everything will match.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, this is our first ever refurb and currently this floor has no walls at all in it! So, it's been quite a learning curve and Im enjoying every second of it!

Thanks in advance,

Katie

Comments (5)