SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kriss19

How to make sure my slide-in range does not stick out too much?

kriss19
4 years ago

Hi,

We are renovating our kitchen and in order to keep the budget under control we decided to handle the design work, especially that for the most part we're putting cabinets exactly where they had been before. Since we decided to go with IKEA cabinets, I am using IKEA's online kitchen planner to make sure the layout makes sense.

One thing that just jumped at me is that many of the slide-in gas ranges we are looking at (30" wide, all of them) are substantially deeper than the ~25" we'd get from pushing the base 24" deep cabinets up against the wall, and then adding a ~1" counter lip. Rather, most slide-in ranges are between 27" and 28" deep. Because the range will sit on the side of the kitchen, if it protruedes too much beyond the cabinets (as our old one did) it will be very visible, and (in my opinion) won't look good. As I understand, the range should be flush with the oven door open, such that only the door protrudes once closed/upright. (see exampel in picture below)

So, what is the way to achieve it?

• Should we push the cabinets a few inches away from the wall? If so, how do I calculate how much to push them out? For a 28" deep range, and cabinets that are 24.5" deep (with doors), should the cabinets be moved 3.5" (28 - 24.5) away from the wall? Or do I need to leave extra (insulation?) space behind the range that will add to its 28" depth, so the cabinets will have to come out even more?
  • Is there a way in which the range could potentially "cut" into the wall behind?
  • Some other solution I'm not thinking of?

Thanks in advance,

Kriss

Comments (13)