SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_824761065

How to search for, ideas for, small house for lake

Marie Schatz
4 years ago

I've always loved ranches and always thought I'd build a ranch. I bought a lake lot. By this time I was sort of sick of looking at ranch plans and got enamored by the Chalet style, so wonderful for a lake. However,

I have an extremely limited budget and I understand they are more expensive to build. I was hoping that with a small downstairs (1050? 2 bedroom, 1 bath) I could leave the upstairs unfinished but plumbed and save some money but I'm not even sure that will do it. I don't need the square footage but future resale would be better with more sq ft. Just not sure the chalet build cost is feasible.

There is what I think of as "the chickent coop" style. Has a single flat sloped roof with lots of windows of high windows on one end but is a single floor. Its very gray and cold her 6 months of the year and I crave light like crazy. There is a lot of snow to consider here and I havent seen many of them so IDK.

I don't know what they are called or how to search for them? I have run into some on plan websites, many have the bedrooms up which as a single retiree I don't want.

Any other ideas?

Its 200+ a sq foot to build here and I'd prefer not to go over 200 but I'm going to have to. 1200 sq feet always seems the magic mark for a small home but that's minimum 240 then add garage, patio etc. and you start talking close to 300 for a very small home not even including what I paid for the lot.

Comments (28)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio