SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Early Spring in my garden today - roses and other flowers

jacqueline9CA
4 years ago

I just took all of these pictures a half hour ago. January is "early Spring" where I live - it has been raining for 2 months, after our (normal) 6-7 month drought, and our climate is so mild that the garden has woken up, even though our temps have not gone over the 50s F yet. In addition to the below, the narcissus are blooming all over, and many other roses are putting out scattered bloom, but they are mostly the ones which never stop blooming in the first place.

Here is what we think is the china hybrid rose Cramoisi Superior, which was planted in the 1970s, and is just beginning to start its first Spring flush:

Here is Safrano, which was also planted in the 1970s, and is one of those roses which never stops blooming:

Here is iris Crimson King (1890s) - this iris is blooming all over our garden right now - it does that every January, and continues to bloom through about March: I love its color, and also that it is so short that it does NOT fall over when it rains (which it is doing a LOT!):

Hellebores - of course, they are supposed to bloom in January, and all of ours are:

More hellebores:

Cerinth:

Lastly, Japanese quince - I had no idea this was blooming until I took a walk (in the rain) to the post box. This is what made me look around to see what else is blooming at the end of Jan!

Jackie

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!