numbersjunkie

SaveComment22Like11
Comments (22)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
numbersjunkie

Save    
Iris GW

Man, I hope young people decide to vote in a big way this year.

9 Likes Save     Thanked by numbersjunkie
vgkg (Va Z-7)

They should darn well be worried about the unending global warming and the growing federal debt of which trump doesn't give a rat's butt about, both are going to destroy their world and country as they know it.

12 Likes Save     Thanked by numbersjunkie
chipotle

^^^

Hopefully they're smarter than their parents/grandparents who couldn't give a damn.

6 Likes Save     Thanked by numbersjunkie
girlnamedgalez8a(8A)

Go Andrew Yang!!!!

3 Likes Save     Thanked by numbersjunkie
queenmargo

Hopefully they are smart enough to NOT vote for the Dems who can not even get their homeless population under control.

If you can not clean up the tent cities in our own country, how are you going to clean up the world? Get real.

4 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

And how does GOP get the homeless population under control?

Would that be by refusing to expand Medicaid, cutting social services, and destroying the ACA with nothing to replace it? That should get the population of poor people under control, don't you think?

10 Likes Save     Thanked by numbersjunkie
Toby

Homelessness is not a Democratic or Republican problem. All major cities have a homelessness problem. Several cities in red states are on the list of top 50 cities with large numbers of homeless, including most of the cities in Texas where the GOP controls almost the entire state.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/10/07/48-major-us-cities-struggling-to-shelter-growing-homeless-population/40242171/

10 Likes Save     Thanked by numbersjunkie
numbersjunkie

Why do I support Yang? Because he is focused on findng solutions and not on pointing fingers or laying blame. And this is a lesson I hope the young people learn.

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

including most of the cities in Texas where the GOP controls almost the entire state.

Those are all very blue areas and most are sanctuary cities.

3 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Good cities before liberals escaping high taxes moved in bought cheaper real estate and are now voting in higher taxes where they moved. In Austin, Florida, Virginia, DC, other locales so called compassionate liberals have priced out and forced out citizens who have owned homes for decades or lived in their entire lives because they can no longer afford the property taxes due to millennials buying next door, hot on an HGTV binge, knocking out walls, installing grey and white tile, expresso machines and dragging along a pooch or two they call baby with a phone stuck to their hand and take both everywhere, all the while claiming diversity, social awareness and compassion for the poor and their own woke selflessness.

Much of the youth get nothing but self.

Fortunately there are many who do get it.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

I just paid $28k on one property in the Houston area, 2 days ago. It was just under $8k 4 years ago. I'm out of here asap.

Save    
Chi

millennials buying next door, hot on an HGTV binge, knocking out walls, installing grey and white tile, expresso machines and dragging along a pooch or two they call baby with a phone stuck to their hand and take both everywhere, all the while claiming diversity, social awareness and compassion for the poor and their own woke selflessness.

Hmm...I'm a millennial and I've never knocked down a wall, installed gray tile, bought an espresso machine, owned a dog or have had a phone stuck to my hand! I'm curious what kind of millennials you've met to paint such a negative picture of millions and millions of people.

I have a lot of faith that the millenials and even younger voters will be inspired to show up and win this election for the Democrats. Being constantly told how terrible they are by the boomer generation is very inspiring.

6 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Some California home-owners are cashing in by selling their highly valued residences. Rising real estate values have put more than a few of us in the millionaire category in the matter of a decade or so.

A funky tear-down shack, euphemistically called a beach cottage, on a postage-stamp sized lot is $1mil+ because Google and BuzzFeed are nearby.

Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,others)(8a)

Even if Millennials are tearing down walls and installing grey tile, who cares? Homes have to be kept up and maintained. Every generation does it every decade or so.

Would it be acceptable if they were installing forest green or mauve tile like the Boomers did in the 90s?

Avocado or harvest gold like those boomers’ parents did in the 70s?

Celadon or jade or cobalt like the boomers’ grandparents desired in the 20s?

Marble? Is marble OK because it is an ancient tradition?

Or should we let those old houses fall down around us so as not to offend the aesthetic sensibilities of our elders who know so much more?

Oh, or we could do like the Gen Xs: buy a rancher on a quarter acre, bulldoze it down, put in four or eight McModern townhouses! That’s capitalism baby! (Note: this is sarcasm. I have nothing against Gen X but I do hate McModern.)

Just don’t use grey tile or you’ll be called the dreaded M word.

And don’t, under any circumstance, use an espresso machine at home. Also though don’t buy yourself a coffee everyday because then you can’t complain about falling wages and rising cost of living. It’s your own fault, you shouldn’t like coffee.

/triggered

4 Likes Save    
Chi

I used to have a Starbucks habit, but I make my lattes at home now. I was a bad millennial and didn't invest in an espresso machine but I did buy a little battery-powered whisk thing for a few bucks that makes pretty good foamed milk!

2 Likes Save    

We just received a second hand espresso machine from friends who are downsizing and got a new one for their brand new penthouse, grey and white inside.

What generation are you if you’re 80? Is that Millennial too?

1 Like Save    
chipotle

Lucky you Miss Lindsey! We should invest in one. We stop at a local coffeehouse a few times a week.

1 Like Save    

Well full disclosure we haven’t even tried it out yet; Husband just got a Keurig at a second hand store ($10!) and I’m still getting into the groove of that lol. I’m a creature of habit, I don’t transition easily :-D

2 Likes Save    
chisue

Maybe young people watched Mad Men and learned not to be *sold*. They aren't buying big cars. They value experiences more than items.

I will *never* understand the 'hot ice cream' thing with pseudo-coffee at $5 a pop. Pour-over into a thermos carafe at my house, once in the morning, no sugar.

Save    

Yeah I get that chisue.

To me it’s really no different from spending $7 on a beer or $13 on a martini. For most people who drink the sugar bomb coffee drinks it’s a sometimes treat (I think).

In Canadian dollars, at Starbucks, a regular old 16 oz dark roast coffee is under $3. (But I don’t like Starbucks coffee, so when I do go there as an outing for whatever reason I get the sugary drink basically to mask the taste of the coffee.) That’s not so bad. The real killer is what any coffee shop gouges you for tea. Like I’m going to pay $4 for a 25cent tea bag and some hot water. No thanks.

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"And how does GOP get the homeless population under control?"

By correctly identifying the problem, and reversing the devastating effects of deinstitutionalization.

Homelessness is often a mental health problem. The most vulnerable homeless people aren't on the streets because of a housing shortage. They're on the streets because a rush to deinstitutionalization did away with the beds and state-run facilities that provided for continuity of care and treatment. These people on the streets because they are trying to survive on their own, and aren't equipped to do so.

In an effort to be more "compassionate," politicians have made it more difficult to have a loved one committed. Today, even when the need for more structured care is clear, there's a shortage of beds to accommodate those most in need. The community treatment plans and anticipated development of new, better drugs for the mentally ill fell far short of meeting the needs of our population...even before politicians began the mass importation of poverty from around the globe.

Politicians took away the beds, artificially increased our population by the millions, raised our taxes, and now they blame a lack of affordable housing ...all of which absolves them of their role in creating the problem.

No reason to believe young people "understand" the role of government in creating the problem, nor that older adults understand it either.

https://www.thebalance.com/deinstitutionalization-3306067

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular 21 Things Only People Living With Kids Will Understand
Strange smells, crowded beds, ruined furniture — here’s what cohabiting with little monsters really feels like
Full Story
Decorating Guides 5 Must-Know Decorating Tips for People With Young Kids
Let’s face it: Kids can wreak havoc in the house. Take this advice to save yourself the headaches until they are grown
Full Story
Fun Houzz 10 Things People Really Don’t Want in Their Homes
No love lost over fluorescent lights? No shocker there. But some of these other hated items may surprise you
Full Story