SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluebell66

Sansevieria - Need Advice

Bluebell66
4 years ago

I got to this plant about a month ago from a neighbor who moved. I’m not sure of the conditions it lived in before then, but I have it in a room that gets plenty of day light this time of year but no sunlight. I have removed a few brown and crisp leaves. It’s still in the original nursery plastic plant pot. Is there any reason I shouldn’t repot it? Is there anything else I can do to help it? Thank you.

Comments (12)

• Bluebell66
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank you, socks!! I appreciate your reply and will treat it accordingly.

• Related Discussions

Sansevieria trifasciata Futura? (ID Needed)

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi again Planto, I responded on the Sans thread, but pls. give folks a chance to respond, before re-posting same thread on different forum (a practice discouraged here). It's been less than 2 hrs. since the other post, pls. allow a day or 2 (at least). It's holidays, not everybody is online, pls. allow folks a bit of a chance to respond.
    ...See More

sansevieria ID needed.

Q

Comments (5)
    What it looks like to me is S. ehrenbergii but there are others that look the same to me. I am making this guess on the basis of the way it grows at the base of the plant. S. robusta grows the same way, and so does S. powellii so really its just a guess, it would depend on a lot of measurements, and channel. Tip measurment as well. Measurments must be taken, and flower examined carefully. What does the skin feel like. Sandpaper? Norma
    ...See More

Unknown Sansevieria needs identification, please, please, please

Q

Comments (10)
    Hi Esther, No offset on mine yet. I am hoping it will make one this summer. There is a small plant in the pot too, but it is a completely separate plant. This one will keep making more leaves for years and eventually trail . It would be good in a hanging basket. It needs to be out of the way though, I don't want to bump into it!
    ...See More

Sansevieria Newbie needing help identifying two species.

Q

Comments (8)
    Seems like a good idea but it's from the central growing section and with or without a bloom stock, the center is no longer a growing point. Some times the central area rots due to water in the crown and the same thing happens to the whole plant. If strong enough, it still produces pups all around it. This method is used by growers to produce more plants thru pupping. I think they use a soldering gun to kill the central growing point. Same with euphorbia to induce branching.
    ...See More
  • christine 5b
    4 years ago

I agree with Socks and would definitely wait till the weather is warmer, give it time to acclimate to its new environment. Congrats she's a nice one....

Bluebell66 thanked christine 5b
  • socks
    4 years ago

Oh, and be careful of overwatering. Don't even water for a week or so after repotting. Do you know the wooden skewer trick? If not.....to test to see if the plant is dry, insert a wooden skewer into the soil for a few minutes. When you pull it out, you can see if the potting mix is still damp or if it's dry. If damp, don't water.

Bluebell66 thanked socks
  • tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    4 years ago

Using a 'tell'

Over-watering saps vitality and is one of the most
    common plant assassins, so learning to avoid it is worth the small
    effort. Plants make and store their own energy source –
    photosynthate - (sugar/glucose). Functioning roots need energy to
    drive their metabolic processes, and in order to get it, they use
    oxygen to burn (oxidize) their food. From this, we can see that
    terrestrial plants need air (oxygen) in the soil to drive root
    function. Many off-the-shelf soils hold too much water and not enough
    air to support good root health, which is a prerequisite to a healthy
    plant. Watering in small sips leads to a build-up of dissolved solids
    (salts) in the soil, which limits a plant's ability to absorb water –
    so watering in sips simply moves us to the other horn of a dilemma.
    It creates another problem that requires resolution. Better, would be
    to simply adopt a soil that drains well enough to allow watering to
    beyond the saturation point, so we're flushing the soil of
    accumulating dissolved solids whenever we water; this, w/o the plant
    being forced to pay a tax in the form of reduced vitality, due to
    prolong periods of soil saturation. Sometimes, though, that's not a
    course we can immediately steer, which makes controlling how often we
    water a very important factor.

In many cases, we can judge whether or not a
    planting needs watering by hefting the pot. This is especially true
    if the pot is made from light material, like plastic, but doesn't
    work (as) well when the pot is made from heavier material, like clay,
    or when the size/weight of the pot precludes grabbing it with one
    hand to judge its weight and gauge the need for water.

Fingers stuck an inch or two into the soil work ok
    for shallow pots, but not for deep pots. Deep pots might have 3 or
    more inches of soil that feels totally dry, while the lower several
    inches of the soil is 100% saturated. Obviously, the lack of oxygen
    in the root zone situation can wreak havoc with root health and
    cause the loss of a very notable measure of your plant's potential.
    Inexpensive watering meters don't even measure moisture levels, they
    measure electrical conductivity. Clean the tip and insert it into a
    cup of distilled water and witness the fact it reads 'DRY'.

One of the most reliable methods of checking a
    planting's need for water is using a 'tell'. You can use a bamboo
    skewer in a pinch, but a wooden dowel rod of about 5/16” (75-85mm)
    would work better. They usually come 48” (120cm) long and can
    usually be cut in half and serve as a pair. Sharpen all 4 ends in a
    pencil sharpener and slightly blunt the tip so it's about the
    diameter of the head on a straight pin. Push the wooden tell deep
    into the soil. Don't worry, it won't harm the root system. If the
    plant is quite root-bound, you might need to try several places until
    you find one where you can push it all the way to the pot's bottom.
    Leave it a few seconds, then withdraw it and inspect the tip for
    moisture. For most plantings, withhold water until the tell comes out
    dry or nearly so. If you see signs of wilting, adjust the interval
    between waterings so drought stress isn't a recurring issue.

Al

Bluebell66 thanked tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
  • Karen S. (7b, NYC)
    4 years ago

I'd like to add that a commercial Cactus & Succulent mix won't be fast draining enough for a Sans. When you buy the soil, pls buy a bag of Perlite as well & mix w/ the soil 50/50 (meaning equal parts of each). I agree that you shouldn't water for at least 5 days after the repot. Good luck & enjoy, Sans are great plants.

Bluebell66 thanked Karen S. (7b, NYC)
  • Bluebell66
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for all the advice! I appreciate all your suggestions. Once I get this guy on track I think it will be in pretty good shape!

• Sei Ren
    4 years ago

this is a little late, but i can add that a shallower pot is also a good idea because it will have less soil that can stay wet and because these plants have a shallow rooting system and actually like being rootbound. they almost thrive off of neglect. they enjoy a cramped pot, literally to the point of bursting out of it. if its happy it can easily double in shoots in a year, all you have to do is pull it out, divide the rhizomes and bam, you've got two plants

4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

SR - I'm sorry, but there's not much I agree with in what you said. When using media that support perched (nearly ALL commercially bagged potting media do) shallow pots are MORE difficult to grow in because the ht of a perched water column in any given medium is a constant (at container capacity, which is a measure of water retention at the point in time when a medium stops draining naturally, after having been fully saturated). See image, which uses shading to depict saturated area of the soil column.:

Too, plants that typically have root systems growing primarily in the top couple of inches of soil, will happily colonize the entire soil mass of very deep pots if the soil is well-aerated and doesn't hold water in excess.

Too, no plant 'likes', 'enjoys', or prefers to be rootbound. Please see the link for comments on that topic; and finally, the assertion that any plant 'thrives on neglect' is a contradictio in adjecto - it refutes itself. The ONLY way a plant can thrive is if cultural conditions are in the plant's sweetest of all sweet spots. I.e., if every cultural condition is perfect or close to perfect. If a plant in a pot is thriving, the grower MUST be providing exactly what the plant wants .... and one would have a difficult time squaring that with 'neglect'.

Al

• Sei Ren
    4 years ago

i agree with almost everything you said, and like you said in that link, i do use the sans in a smaller pot so that they may grow in clumps, so its a personal view/ preference for their growth. as for the neglect, this is what i meant: this plant's origins are native to africa. they don't need the codeling that other houseplants, tending to be tropical, do. if anything, that will kill them. although they may not be succulents that can survive in more dire conditions, they have no need to be watered weekly, fertilized constantly or repotted annually. its a plant that you put in bright indirect light and just let be.

4 years ago

"i do use the sans in a smaller pot so that they may grow in clumps, so its a personal view/ preference for their growth." That sans are a clumping plant is resultant of genetic coding - has nothing to do with how we prefer to grow them.

"...... as for the neglect, this is what i meant: this plant's origins are native to africa. they don't need the codeling that other houseplants, tending to be tropical, do. if anything, that will kill them. although they may not be succulents that can survive in more dire conditions, they have no need to be watered weekly, fertilized constantly or repotted annually. its a plant that you put in bright indirect light and just let be." Viewing the topic from the perspective of the grower, we all allow the grower can do whatever (s)he wants - no question about that. From the plant's perspective, it's a little more complicated. Allowing a plant to remain dry when it could do with a drink is not an appropriate fix for watering too frequently, even if the results of over-watering might be more damaging than results of under-watering. BOTH are limiting and should be avoided. Over-watering is neglectful care just as surely as allowing the soil to remain dry for neglectfully long periods is.

Vitality is the measure of how well a plant is able to deal with the cultural hand you/I deal it. In order for plants to thrive, they must be free of cultural conditions that cause stress. Long periods of dry soil are stressful to nearly all plants, even those capable of entering a consequential dormancy. Stress is always limiting (from the plant's perspective) and, for containerized plants, the result of the grower being neglectful of appropriate care. Substitute ANY adverse condition for 'stress' in the preceding sentence (over-watering, under-watering, over/under-fertilizing, too hot, too cold, not enough/too much light, et cetera), and it holds true. Neglect cannot be anything but an adversity; so, no matter how we parse the reasoning, the conclusion is, no plant thrives on neglect. BTW - watering/fertilizing/repotting ...... too frequently is as neglectful of appropriate care parameters as not watering for extended periods because you know the plant 'tolerates' it. That might be best for you, but it surely isn't best for the plant.

Al

• Sei Ren
    4 years ago

again, i agree with you, so i guess it's just me who isn't explaining myself correctly since you feel the need to further explain. my bad. sorry for the constant commenting @Bluebell66, but i do wish your plant to thrive. receiving a plant from someone else and having it flourish is always a satisfactory feeling. all in all, it is an easy plant to care for, so i'm sure you'll do well without worry. best of luck! :)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES