SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrisvonsimson

Our late 1990s tract house windows: how to navigate renovation?

New poster here in this section of the forums. Long post too. I have enjoyed reading the forums and the advice given to other people on their windows. Thanks in advance for your opinions on our “window improvement” project.

My questions

1. What can be done to improve sealing when re-wrapping metal on a frame?
  2. Same question on installing the pocket replacement window (seems limited).
  3. Any recommendations on window installation services companies in the Northern Virginia area? I'd love to get 5 install quotes.
  4. Any decent mid-range window hardware companies you like? I have a low-end quote, and I have a Kolbe quote. I really liked the quality of the Kolbe operation. I'd like to get at least 2-3 more midrange quotes.
  5. What do you think of the DC area renovation average figures for 10 3x5 vinyl replacement windows installed of $17,462? Here’s the link to the general web site: https://www.remodeling.hw.net/cost-vs-value/2020/south-atlantic/washington-dc/
  6. What amount or range might I budget for the services in the DC area generally? (I looked at the 2020 cost vs. value report for their “10 window” project - but I’d like your opinion too.) Is $200-400 reasonable, depending on the wrapping needed?
  7. Anything else I’m missing? Maybe quite a lot :)

General Background.

We live in Fairfax Virginia. Our neighborhood is nice, but not “historic”; a “tract home”. Background details are here (http://levittownbeyond.com/Greenbriar.html ) We have the “Essex” model.

Our siding is white vinyl, and is in decent shape. We carefully clean it every fall. Hopefully it will last our time in this house.

Our attic is well and fully insulated.

Our time horizon in this house is 10-15 years. The front of the house faces due south. There will be a lot of sun exposure in 1-2 years time when the two old Norway Maples (invasive, non-native) die back completely and turn into log compost. Maybe a solar project is in the future, but not now.

There are a lot of windows. There are some fairly nice Andersen windows, and they will be part of a future phase to clean, restore, or renovate their hardware operation. Glass seems fine there.

Project

The focus now is on 16 windows on the house.

Almost the entire neighborhood has double-hung pocket white vinyl inserts on what appear to be OK white frames. We have the same.

The size of the windows is W 35.75” and H 49.75” . There are a couple smaller, and a couple need tempered glass for bathrooms.

Current Frames: seem OK, possibly some extra sealing would be in order to improve air-tightness. The same window veteran recommended a refresh of the exterior metal wrapping “as needed” because our current wrapping is pock-marked with a few small holes.

Current Windows: these current windows now seem somewhat compromised through old age and use. Our current windows are vinyl. The labels are very faded, and almost illegible. A few numbers are visible. They appear to have “HECH” as a recurring word. One windows veteran suggested this might mean the former hardware company Hechinger (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hechinger ) might have been the local distributor of these windows. That means the latest date of installation would be the late 1990’s; 20+ years of service from a vinyl window does not seem so bad.

The weatherstripping is of the “fur pile” kind, as is fairly degraded or flattened. There is some warping of sashes. Some glass is degraded.

Some example photos

1. Some degraded glass

Windows · More Info

2. A warp on a frame

Windows · More Info

Assumptions

Given our time horizon, the good condition of our siding, and the context of the wider neighborhood we are considering a pocket white insert window as the replacement.

We don’t need to have the “fanciest windows in the neighborhood”, but we would like them to be good quality from a decent company, very well-installed by professionals who can help us with other projects in the future (doors, other windows, etc).

I do like the idea of the windows being “nice” to operate for their lifespan, and with a good, simple, and efficient warranty. I liked the Kolbe windows for that.

I do like the concepts of the “passive house” movement on sustainability end energy efficiency.

What I have had quoted so far.

1. Local contractor recommendation: Interstate windows combined with installation. This was very cost-efficient, but the services were rated extremely poorly on review sites. $11K.
  2. Kolbe ultra pocket. $15K before services.
  3. Weather Shield pocket replacement $12K before services

Comment

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner