Comments (31)

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    4 years ago

One Last Dance (emerging for the first year in my garden):

• Related Discussions

Hosta B 2019 ......

Q

Comments (60)
    Sure I can, but my Banana Boat isn't worth posting this year, but I can crop Bobbie Sue out of a larger pic (and that's Beyond Glory behind to the right) Oh, what the heck. Here's Banana Boat just above and to the left of Ben Vernooij (which is also a "B").
    ...See More

Hosta P 2019 ....

Q

Comments (51)
    djacobz, I can understand why Paradigm is one of your favorites. It is really amazing to see the color change on a hosta when one half of it receives more sun than the other. I had that happen with my June Fever when an adjacent plant grew and partically covered some of it. Do try to get a Paul's Glory sometime djacobz. I think you will like it. Your Gold Standard is pretty! It's an oldie but a goodie! I just got one last year. Oursteelers, looking at the photo of my plantaginea, I would say that the picture was taken just at the right time to catch the hosta veining and shine. I had a look to see what time the picture was taken. It was in June at about 7:30 p.m. I think I picked up some of the remaining sunlight. Steve, that Picasso is a pretty hosta!
    ...See More

Hosta yellow 2019 ....

Q

Comments (23)
    Yes nw the Lamium is squished but still growing happily there, I should move it though before Lemon Lime devours it lol! I adore the blue of Forget-Me-Not and let them seed about freely. Ajuga has the purple flowers and is one of the only plants that I am so so about. It is useful but I rip out and toss bucket loads each year as it encroaches on more desirable plants.
    ...See More

Hosta 2 or 3 or 4 colored Margins 2019

Q

Comments (18)
    I just want to say that dog meme is hilarious! It reminded me of a lolcat that I used to love that was titled "everyone has a friend like this". But I can't find it now to put it here. Boo! Anyways...very funny! Thanks for the laugh.
    ...See More
  • Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Orange Marmalade

I can never capture the true orange of this Hosta. But it does have that vibrant center.

Olive Bailey Langdon., just a younster. Can no wait until it is mature.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    4 years ago

Beth, love that On Stage.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    4 years ago

Keep those great jokes coming!

shadow beautiful orange marmalade. Guess I need to move mine!

October Sky

Old Faithful

Old Glory

On Stage

Ooh La La

Ocean Isle

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    4 years ago

Paula I was hoping you got to sleep in! Funny jokes as always!

ConnieMay you certainly started us off with a beauty!

Beth I do love a red leg. Great shot of OMT.

Shadow that is a very nice OM, and incentive to get mine planted!

sunnywood Ooh La La is a standout. I lost my Ocean Isle in a pot. How has it been for you as far as growth rate and overall?

This is an old pic of On the Border. It grows really well and I will get a new pic this year.

Oze is a difficult mini but I will move it to a shadier spot.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    4 years ago

Peren. Ocean isle had been a very slow grower. Just started to grow after I moved it.

• old_dirt 6a
    4 years ago

Paula, love the pinata, I've got half a dozen in my garage. I collect them after the first frost.

I did a lot of hitch hiking as a teenager and some people that picked me up were rather shady. They maybe felt the same way about me...lol...I once had to jump out of a moving vehicle, he wouldn't stop for me.

Well phooey! Two tries and all my pics and posts disappeared. :-( So just a list of my O's.

Olive Bailey Langdon

Orange Star

Obsession

Orange Marmalade

Old Glory

On Stage

• mbug_gw
    4 years ago

Good morning Paula!

Olive Bailey Langdon

Obsession

One Last Dance....waiting for it to take off

Orange Marmalade

• Saija_Finland
    4 years ago

Orange Marmalade

Old Glory

Saija

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Unlike the rest of you I have no Os. I can treat you to pictures of my cats....can’t let the dogs have all the fun.

Snow

Jingle

Seurat

Kibble

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Now comments:

conniemae, One Last Dance looks fabulous! I love the green pattern and ruffling on the leaves.

beth, On Stage is in a perfect spot in your garden. It brightens that area with its gold leaves and upright nature. Also who can resist a man with red legs?

shadow, I really like the brightness of your Orange Marmalade. And from what I have seen, I love this hosta, OBL is definitely worth the wait!

sunnywood, your have so many....that October Sky has such a soft powdery blue. Very pretty. Ooh la la is a real eye catcher!

peren.all, On the Border has a great leaf shape. I will look forward to seeing it this year. I also love that little mini Oze. It is a nice variegated one.

old_dirt, I am so sorry your posts didn’t work for you. I do know what they all look like in general, but of course their can be differences among gardens. I bet all of them are beauties having seen so much of what you have already posted.

mbug, Oliver Bailey Langdon gets an A plus. Obsession is such a shiny little mini. Your Orange Marmalade really has a nice look. It shows all of the seasons colors and I spy one odd leaf. (I like to find oddities in my own garden).

saija, your Orange Marmalade is stunning! The color is amazing! And your Old Glory has such a soft color. Is it a young one?

• zkathy z7a NC
    4 years ago

Old Glory won best of garden a few years ago, but is much smaller now. This is my second attempt to protect it from voles. We’ll see what the new season brings.

Orange Marmalde, what a great coloration but so hard to photograph!

Oshima Silk. Supposedly the flowers tend more toward blue than purple, I’ll post one if I find one.

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    4 years ago

Connie, One Last Dance is pretty. I like the frilly edged ones.

Saija, great pic showing the orange of Orange Marmalade!

Shadow, mbug, zkathy, your OMs are all so big. I lost mine so enjoy seeing well grown ones.

old_dirt, glad you made it through your hitchhiking years. Too bad this web site is giving you so much trouble posting pics.

djacobz, wonderful kitties! You're good to take care of so many, and they all look very happy.

peren, sunnywood, I also have an Ocean Isle. It grew slowly with subtle colors in shade. Then I moved to more sun and now it burns. Already have a 3rd home picked for the spring.

zkathy, you go to a lot of trouble for your hostas. I hope they reward you!

Onto the "Os!"

October Sky in June

....in August

Olympic Sunrise -- This one is losing its lighter center. But it's been a gradual change every year so not like I have a solid and colorful part to separate.

On Stage aka 'Choko Nishiki' ....my nickname for it is GroDammitGro!

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    4 years ago

Paula, glad you got a good sleep. No need to apologize for posting later. Love the serial killer joke.

ConnieMay your One Last Dance is a sight to behold. Looks like its going to be a good grower.

I got mine in 2018.

Beth, One Man's Treasure looks so pretty in that pot.

Shadow, your Orange Marmalade is doing so well as is OBL. I lost my Orange Marmalade. Yours is so attractive.

Sunnywood, I love, love love that Ooh la la! When I saw yours, I went to see if I had a picture of mine. Couldn't find one! Mine is just a small one. I really enjoyed seeing it last year. I loved the thickness of the leaf and the color of the leaves. I hope mine will grow as big as yours!

Peren.all, Oze doesn't look like its all that difficult to grow from the picture. You are doing a fine job of growing that mini! Very cute.

Old_dirt, thanks for sharing that story about being a hitchhiker. Scary experience! You could try what someone (kathy?) said she does when she posts. You write and add a picture or two and press submit. If it posts, then use the edit to go back and post more photos. Hope that helps you. I tried that and it works.

Mbug, perfect specimen of OBL.

Saija, you picked the right time to photograph Orange Marmalade. What a beautiful color!

djacobz, you may not have any "O's," but you have adorable cats. Love their names!

zkathy, love your Old Glory. It is a pretty one!

Sandyslopes, your hostas always look good along with your garden setting.

And as for On Stage, years ago I spotted a beautiful hosta in a front garden of a house. Somehow I figured out that it was On Stage. I always remember how beautiful it was. The ones on this thread did not disappoint!

• Tiddisolo Wales UK
    4 years ago

Orange Marmalade

Ogon Iwa

Ooh La La

On Stage

Dave

• Karin Black Cat
    4 years ago

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    4 years ago

CM, that's a nice sized OLD for its first spring. I like mine so much I bought a second, but it isn't growing as quickly as yours. I saw Ooh La La in a garden 2 years ago, so I went searching for it last year. Obscene Gesture 2nd year.

Olive Branch and Hawk Eye

Olympic Sunrise may do better with more direct sun. Here's it's sport Olympic Gold Medal. It may need more sunlight too.

My 1st One Last Dance. Still a good grower. The 2nd one I planted in more sun hoping to maintain the yellow edge better (It goes light green).

Ooh La La - enough said.

This is Outer Limits, a streaked Striptease, but not looking very streaked. Will see what this year brings.

• StevePA6a
    4 years ago

Just have to share this.

Mature clump of 'Ooh La La' in the Tiffany garden on the 2018 AHS convention tour. I think I was most wowed by this one.

Shiny, dark green, cupped, puckered, oh man! why don't I have this?

4 years ago

Thanks Steve for posting that gorgeous pic of Ooh la la from a convention tour! Drool worthy! I have to say that Ooh la la is one of those hostas that I greatly enjoy even if it is small right now. I like all my hosta, but there are some that you just love right at the start when they are young---without waiting for them to mature. Ooh la la is one of those hosta for me.

Karin, Oberland Colourful Noise, is so attractive! I see it is a Francee sport. I wish my Francee could put out a sport like that!

• Saija_Finland
    4 years ago

It's easy to capture Orange Marmalade's colors in Finnish summer (not so warm). In warm summer OM gets lighter color in August, but if we have very finnish summer = cold summer, it does stay quite orange.

Djacobz: Old Glory is one of my oldest (2016) but it has been in poor place, too much shadow and roots of trees. Last summer is moved it to better place and I hope it will get more like these great looking Old Glorys here. Cute cats you have :)

So many beautiful On Stages ( I have one but it's still small)

And I need Ooh La La and One last dance. List is getting longer :)

Saija

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Zkathy your Old Glory is perfect! Also, that picture of your Orange Marmalade looks like a late season Gold Standard. I see that most of you have problems with voles. I think, that’s something I have never had a problem with living in the city, even before the cats were here. Thank goodness because I have enough slugs to make up for that!

sandyslopes, October Sky in August is a most stunning hosta! Olympic Sunrise is very pretty.....I can see the faint coloring. Maybe a sunnier spot would help? On Stage is a really nice hosta even if slow growing for you—-it looks healthy!

Newhostalady, One Last Dance has got great color! Thanks for the compliments on my cats and their names.

tiddisolo, you have four great ones! The Orange Marmalade close-up really shows the beauty of the hosta. Nice lime green on Ogan Iwa. It’s interesting to see the difference between your Ooh La La and Sunnywood’s. Will yours darken with age? It is lovely the color that it is. Perhaps it is the continent difference. :-)

karin, that Oberland Colorful Noise is just a beautiful streaker! And I am also liking that Over the Waves. I notice you and Dave in Wales often have hostas no one else has....you must have a European source for these plants???? Thanks for compliments to my cats.

steveduggins, as the name implies and the look of the hosta, Obscene Gesture, must be a sport of Striptease, I’m guessing?? I see the subtle coloring in Olympic Gold Medal and agree maybe more sun would help it’s color. Your Ooh La La is not bad! Ok one dead leaf on the ground, cut it off and one little burn on a leaf..... cut that off, voila! Perfect hosta. Maybe it would do better in the ground?

stevePA, regarding Ooh La La......couldn’t agree more!!

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    4 years ago

old_dirt scary situation to be in. I am glad you jumped out and lived to tell the tale. Maybe you can try again, 3rd time lucky? I always copy my post and that way you can just paste if it disappears. Knock on wood I have not had issues.

mbug Obsession is very interesting, I like dark greens. Last Dance is giving you another Dancing Queen. Gotta love the twofers.

Saija beautiful colour on your OM, there are advantages to cooler summers.

djacobs your cats wonderful. You are giving them such a good life and they have clearly staked out their territory.

Kathy another great Old Glory. It will be interesting to see the flowers on Oshima Silk.

sandyslopes October sky is a pretty one. I can still see some lovely faint colouration Olympic Sunrise.

newhostalady another beautiful Last Dance.

Dave all of yours look deliriously happy.

Karin I agree Oberland Colourful Noise is very nice and another wonderful On Stage.

Steve D. Ooh La La looks great at every stage. Olive Branch is a beauty.

StevePA well if that shot of Ooh La La isn't enough to inspire those of us who don't have it to try and get it I don't know what will! Yes and why don't you have it lol!

You are all such a good/bad influence!

• Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)
    4 years ago

Sunnywood what a beautiful Ooh La La, rightly named.

mbug love your Olive Bailey Landgdon, looks very happy there.

Beautiful pictures of Orange Marmalade, I might have to add that to my wish list too. I thought it might look too much like Paul's Glory but it definitely stands out in everyone's garden.

Steve what a shot of Ooh La La, just breathtaking.

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    4 years ago

Yes, Obscene Gesture is a Strip Tease sport. My Ooh La La was new last year and I could only find it in Washingtin state, so it was a little worse for the travel and planting. It's in a spin out bag in the ground, so I expect it to grow well this coming year. That one from Steve is eye boggling. Here's the one that inspired me. Not as great, but growing under somewhat cramped conditions almost planted on the sidewalk.

• old_dirt 6a
    4 years ago

peren.all, This is how I first read your comment. lol. "old_dirt scary situation to be in. I am glad you jumped out and lived to tell the tale. Maybe you can try again, " I thought, I'm too old for that anymore.

i'll give it a whirl, one or two pics at a time.

On Stage

Old Glory

• old_dirt 6a
    4 years ago

Orange Marmalade

Obsession

• old_dirt 6a
    4 years ago

Orange Star

Olive Bailey Langdon

• Karin Black Cat
    4 years ago

djacob,

Oberland Colourful Noise is from a small nursery in Austria. The owner is Stefan Rank.

You may have noticed during the alphabet that a collect plants from hybridizers in Europe.

The Valley's are my favourites :-) They are from Jeroen Linneman in the Netherlands, he is a well known hybridizer also in the US. Unfortunately only a few of his plants have found the way over until now.

The Frisian are also from a Dutch guy, Bate Aukema. Unfortunately he is retiring and not planning to bring more new hosta.

The Chiemsee collection comes from a small nursery in Upper Bavaria. It's situated at the beautiful Chiemsee lake and I like to buy my plants there. They grow there under harsher conditions than in my garden. The owner and passionate hosta lover is Volker Eschenbach.

There are more, Dave among them, who gifted my seedlings and might have their own hosta line one day...

Two year's ago my Francee surprised me with a sport, it is only half the size of a normal Francee and has more white. I hope it will stabilize :-)

• zkathy z7a NC
    4 years ago

Old_dirt, your On Stage and Old Glory are stunning! They are just perfect!

And Ooh La La got on the list and gained 4 exclamation points in one conversation, an amazingly fast ascent toward the top!

4 years ago

Beautiful sport Karin. I hope it stabilizes too!

Steveduggins, that Ooh la la you posted a picture of is a beauty also!