SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindso1212

Layout dilemma-esp. for those with kitchen islands of all shapes!

lindso1212
4 years ago

Back a year or more ago when I started coming up with new kitchen design I thought I wanted an odd shaped island to fit my space best. There is a corner wall that I have to work around. Contractors convinced me that a regular one was probably best and that's what I ended up going with for our plans.

However, now that my space is open and I have a vision (in my head, it's completely empty) and tape on the floor I think I like the idea of a larger counterspace. But it makes my island fairly irregularly shaped and cuts out some floor space (but not a walkway). See picture below. Does anyone regret going with a larger island? It costs some more-but it gives me an extra cabinet, an extra stool, pushes seated person a bit further from sink, and more counter space at corner of island and across from the fridge (easier for two people to work there as well). We are a family of five. My kids are all under ten but they will be bigger before I know it.

Original option is 24 inch deep (cabinet underneath) plus 12 inch overhang for seating (still planning to curve out a bit in the middle-17 inches in center). Second option is to add a cabinet to one side and have 39 inches of counter plus 10 inch overhang curving out then diagonally down to other side (where there is a 8 inch overhang on very end). The length of the island is 106" total in case you're wondering and we will not have any posts under seating for either option (will use cabinet and/or steel bar). Photos in next post!

Comments (14)