SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16245081

editing the photos of your life

User
4 years ago

I have spent days at my computer trying to organize, sort, prioritize and find a medium to deal with my photos that have been taken with my iPhone.

Our oldest grandchild is now 8 years old. It was at that time that we began to have grandchildren and that we both got smart phones that the photos began to pile up.

One grandson lives close so he has been with us a lot and I would always take a photo of what he was doing and send it to his Mommy throughout the day.

Then, we have two more that don't live close enough that we actually see them much, but their parents send almost daily videos and photos of things that they do.

Needless to say, my computer has become a place where photos are/were resting in every corner.

I had to begin to sort through and put them into some categories that made sense and to bring them all together where they can be seen. There were multiple copies of them, everywhere!!!

It was a mess!!

After days and days of gathering, placing in files by category and then editing through everything from Photo apps, to thumb drives, to external drives, to old computers. I have finally gotten them corralled and have begun to selectively edit them.

What a lot of photos that never should have been kept! Those are easy to get rid of. You know those photos. We all have them.

Then, there are those multiple quicks shots where you end up with ten photos of, basically, the same thing.

What to do with the ones that make the cut?

The idea is to take a selection of them and have them printed up and to give each of the grands a book of photos that we had taken of them.

The rest will go onto remote media and a few will remain on the computer and the phone just to have to use once in a while. I hope to clear all of my digital files and empty the trash.

What has painfully occurred to me is that, once grandpa and I are gone, who is going to ever look at them again, unless the grands maybe have a copy that is easy to access.

The idea of photos has changed in modern life. So many photos are just a flash of the monment and are not meant to be saved. That is the modern way.

These photos are but one more thing that I need to clear out so that I can appreciate what is there, so that it can be put into some medium that makes sense, and that my kids won't have to deal with after I am gone.

There are still so many photos that have to be dealt with. There are vintage ones from past lives and there are boxes of school pictures and 4x6 prints from when the kids were coming up.

What a job!!! I have been at it for days!

Anyone else care to share their experience?

What a realization that a photo does not mean what it once did. I have very few from my past life.

Comment