SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_470222349

Cuttings struggling to push through new growth

HU-470222349
4 years ago

Hi all

I received three cuttings through the post (from Singapore) in September last year and immediately put them inside on a heat mat next to a warm, South facing window. One unfortunately didn't take, whilst the other two have successfully established roots.

What I've been seeing over the last three months however, is that they are trying but are unable to begin new leaf growth, as the leaf stemlings (no, I have no idea what the proper word is for these) were darkened and became rigid during transit (assumed due to the cold of the underbelly of the plane and being in the dark for so long). On a couple of occasions fresh green was appearing on the underside of these stemlings, but they wouldn't / couldn't straighten out and subsequently gave up and dropped off. Over the last month one of the cuttings has started to develop a darkened crown like growth. I am new to plumeria (and keeping plants in general), but see little logic in how this might be helpful / useful.

Once I started seeing growth 'efforts' and the roots had established, I found that tiny splashes of water every few days do no harm / may even be encouraging new 'efforts'.

With regard to actions, shall I leave them be and sit on my hands, cut off the tops and hope that they branch out laterally (although I'd would prefer to have them grow straight up), or is there some other action that might be useful?

Uploaded are images of the two cuttings. The one with the 'crown' used to look a bit more like the one without the 'crown', although the one without now appears as though it may be going in the same direction.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks

John

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Ohio