SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prittybritty

Which sod for Southern California lawn?

Britty LB
4 years ago

Hi all-

We moved into our house about six years ago and inherited a front lawn comprised of several different types of grass, clover, and weeds. There was a 30 year old brazilIan pepper tree on the north side that died the following year. We then had a gopher issue for a few years which has finally cleared up, so now we are looking to smooth out the ground with new soil and install sod. We have approximately 1,000 sq ft to cover. The front of the property has a tall 8ft ficus hedge, and about 10ft back from the hedge sit two large sycamores, about 30ft tall each with a wide spread to each property line. The yard gets pretty good sun, with shade under the trees, and two spots of deep shade at the corners of the hedge.

A local landscaper recommended St. Augustine, and my cousin, also a landscaper, recommended any type of fescue. We want to get a sod and install it early February. We are by the coast in Laguna Beach. My neighbor has Marathon II in her yard and it stays green year round under her mature sycamore. We were planning on Marathon I, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any suggestions. We’d like something green year round if possible. Also, we’re going to cut the ficus hedge back by about 50% when we lay the sod so allow maximum light. The hedge has become leggy so it will be sparse after the cut. The trees will stay bare for another month or so after that, so the sod will get a lot of sun (weather permitting) during that first month or so.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (7)