SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david_danaan

(Dis?)functional kitchen layout, seeking feedback

david_danaan
4 years ago

I'm getting ready to start renovating a small mid-70's rancher and would love to get some feedback on layout. The house will be gutted and interior walls moved, but I don't want to move or alter windows/exterior doors. Attached are my plan views for the kitchen and the whole house for context. Does this kitchen layout look functional in terms of work flow?

I'm still taking inventory for storage design purposes, and I should have more detailed plans including dimensions and elevations soon. Wrt aesthetics I prefer open shelving to solid banks of uppers, and I'm trying to make the space look taller by running some narrow columns of cabinets from the counter to the ceiling. The 16" deep cabinet on the left above the DW has that depth to house a microwave, and much of what comes out of the dishwasher would be put away directly into it, so I'm not too concerned about the loss of counter space there.

The kitchen we have now (different house) is a super efficient U-shape, but is so narrow that only one person can comfortably be in it at once. This layout seems spacious to me in comparison. I just want to make sure it will work and not be awkward for some reason.

One thing I'm thinking is that the fridge and the DW should switch locations, although I like being able to recess the fridge into the adjacent room (and that doesn't interfere with the doors fully opening on this model, I checked). I don't really want to give up more space in the mudroom adjacent to the DW wall though, and the fridge sticking out there would make the entry to the kitchen too pinched, I think.

We are a soon-to-be-retired couple and don't anticipate a lot of traffic in this kitchen. When cooking together we would probably be working on opposite sides of the peninsula.

Do you see anything that could be better here? Thanks for taking a look!

Here's the whole house (the room cut off at the top is an enclosed porch):

Comments (20)