SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_97931389

Help! Thoughts about what you'd do with this living room layout?

Alison M
4 years ago

Hi there - I've recently moved and I'm afraid I'll never get my new furniture in the living room to look good. I feel so out of my depth and I'd love some input from this community.

The room is a rectangle (13'8" x 11'1").

The fireplace is on one of the long walls. The new sofa is currently across from it but there is also a doorway on that wall, which means the sofa just squeezes into it's space.

The chair and a half is on the wall perpendicular to the fireplace. The wall across from it is the entry to the den.

The TV stand is just a placeholder. I don't have any coffee or other tables right now. Ignore the moving blanket on the floor.

Here are the options I can see and what I'm struggling with:

1. Do I leave the chair & a half and sofa where they currently are? The upsides of this option are: having the sofa across from the fireplace and that the entranceway from the hall feels nice and open because the chair and a half is far from it. The downside is the sofa is tight in it's space.

Question: If I went this route, what do I do with all the space on either side of the chair and a half (about 40 inches per side - one side is slightly longer than the other). The TV would have to go on one side. Do I try and do something symmetrical and balanced? Other?

2. Do I reverse the positioning of the chair and a half and sofa? (This means the tv would need to be mounted on the wall beside the entrance to the den.) The upsides of this option are: the sofa has more breathing room and can have end tables, but the sofa does appear a big from the entrance.

3. Do I ask the vendor to exchange the chair and a half for just a chair and put it on a diagonal beside the fireplace? (The chair and a half won't work in that position because of a heating vent.)

Other ideas?

Thanks for any thoughts anyone has.

Alison

Comments (13)