SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chicagodesignenthusiast

Flush Microwave drawer on face frame cabinets with overlay doors

Eva S.
4 years ago

Hello! This is my first time posting and hope I came to the right place.

My husband and I will be doing Conestoga RTA cabinets for our kitchen remodel. We are pretty handy and I've spent some time really thinking through the design and reading these helpful forums so I think we are up to the task.

My one question I can't figure out is how to specify the right cabinet opening to get this look for our peninsula:

I know conestoga doesn't offer frameless cabinets so I am wondering if this look is achievable? What I mean by that is a Microwave drawer that's flush to the cabinet and lower drawers on either side of the microwave that are in line (same height) with the bottom drawer under the microwave? I am just not sure what to even specify for what cabinets to order for that and whether the face frame affects the drawer microwave installation in any way. I tried reading the instruction guide for the microwave we picked but it honestly feels like reading Spanish and the cabinet box they show appears frameless. Do you have any advice for whether this is achievable for Conestoga cabinets? Does the microwave necessarily need to protrude with any framed cabinets? It seems like the microwave front thickness is 1 1/4" whereas most shaker style doors are 1". The 1/4" difference I can live with but I'd hate for the microwave to protrude. Anyone have any advice?

Comments (17)