SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hana_lynn

How to update a 60s Ranch Exterior

Hana Lynn
4 years ago

My husband and I recently purchased a single story ranch with a detached garage built in the 60s. We love the house and have quite a few ideas for the inside that we have already started (down with some walls, up with some paint!), but are really lost when it comes to the exterior.

Currently the garage is the focal point as it sits in front of the house, and the house itself is pretty blah. There are 2 front doors and we are planning on removing the one in the center to make use of the unused "entryway" that is currently there. The door on the left is much more usable. I have already removed all the tall shrubs as they were holding too much water close to the foundation.

We have tossed around the idea of enclosing the walkway to make a mudroom, or moving the front door to the wall perpendicular to the entrance on the left to make use of the covered porch but I am less convinced on that one.

Looking for ideas on exterior materials, landscaping, garage, ways to add visual interest to the front of the house. West coast, modern ranch, with a touch of mid century warmth is the style we are going for.

Thanks!!

Comments (11)