Senate Coverup.

Kathy

A majority of Americans think Trump should be convicted and removed. 69% say witnesses should be allowed in the Senate. how can they conduct a trial without witnesses? It’s not a trial, it’s a coverup, that’s why.

This is going to empower Trump to commit even more crimes just as he did after the Mueller report was whitewashed.

Nadler,

Above all, a fair trial must include additional documents and relevant witnesses," he said. "The American people have common sense. They know that any trial that does not allow witnesses is not a trial. It is a cover-up.

SaveComment264Like7
Comments (264)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Rather than bury the demos, Mitch would rather cover for Donald...

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

A majority of Americans think

That's where I quit reading.

3 Likes Save    
chipotle

71% of Democrats, 56% of independents and 40% of Republicans say Senate should call additional witnesses to testify.

5 Likes Save    
Toby

I almost hope they won't call witnesses because it will help us in the polls. Who besides the party faithful would vote for a Republican after the cover-up? Bolton could crucify Trump on the stand and the GOP still won't convict him, so witness testimony isn't going to remove him from office.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Even if a trial doesn't remove Trump he would be chastised and not emboldened. Dems are a majority in the US and the Senate is on trial as well as Trump imho. If they continue to coverup or conduct a fair trial it will go down in history and they will be judged.

2 Likes Save    
Toby

Trump will be embolden. If he's reelected, we'll see an emboldened Trump like we've never seen before. The GOP Senators have no idea what they're in for. They don't care about being judged. It's time that we understand that they have no morals, not a one of them. They only care about wealth. Wealth is their God. That is the GOP in a nutshell.

9 Likes Save    
Kathy

My opinion exactly

1 Like Save    
Toby

I read on WaPo this morning that the GOP is planning a closed hearing for Bolton if they have to let him testify. "National security" is the excuse.

2 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

There is only one reason to refuse to hear witnesses and it is obvious.

This won't go away, it will fester if not dealt with and November will be a reckoning for the GOP.

Best hope Pootie can save your majority Mitch.

6 Likes Save    
Kathy

Imho, holding hearings in the middle of the night means they can spin the testimony for those who didn’t see it firsthand.

4 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Mitch already publicly announced that the trial would not be fair -- he's coordinating with the White House.

9 Likes Save    
Kathy

Trump and the Republicans clearly want to make impeachment come and go as quietly as possible. They know that if the American public pays too much attention, if they’re forced to listen to the facts and the evidence against Donald Trump, it will become almost impossible for the Senate to acquit him. As we head into the trial, 51 percent of Americans already think Trump should be removed. Nearly 70 percent think additional witnesses should be called to testify to Trump’s behavior. Trump is losing the impeachment fight; McConnell’s goal is to declare Trump the winner before the loss becomes unavoidable.

2 Likes Save    
chisue

I am just a citizen, not GOP or Democrat. I want to see a fair trial, not the coverup the GOP majority in the Senate want, via a rush-rush, hurry-hurry, "we don't want nobody nobody sent" to testify. Trump was impeached on the facts that are only the tip of the iceberg.

8 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Fair?

Chairman Schiff declined to concur with a Republican subpoena for documents relating to the DNC’s communications with the Ukrainian government.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Sekulow lies in his presentation. He is a real flub-up, imho. He said Trump couldn’t question witnesses, not true.

4 Likes Save    
chipotle

9 Likes Save    
Kathy

Geez, if even I can hear the lies what about the millions much more astute than I?

Save    
HU-885118952

@LindseyGrahamSC

Quite frankly, having Adam Schiff lecture the Senate about fairness and due process is like listening to an arsonist talk about fire prevention.

3:06 PM - Jan 21, 2020

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

How can Cipllione defend the President when he is WH counsel working for the taxpayers? He isn’t Trump’s personal lawyer. He is supposed to counsel the President on the legality of his acts. He failed to do his job imho.

7 Likes Save    
chipotle

Liar, liar pants on fire Cipollone. That's why Trump likes him.

12 Likes Save    
Kathy

Republicans know their constituents are not about truth but about winning. Winning at any cost is a loss for all Americans.

8 Likes Save    
chipotle

14 Likes Save    
queenmargo

That pencil neck does not know the meaning of truth. LOL

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Both Cipollone and Sekulow told blatant lies about the investigation. They accuse Schiff of lying with no evidence. There is evidence Trump has witnesses and they were questioned by the GOP. Voters will remember this sham in Nov 2020.

9 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Everyone loves a good mystery;))

Save    
Kathy

A vote to acquit will be the biggest mistake the GOP will ever make. They will have unleashed a monster on the Democracy of the US. They will all grow to regret it. Short term win—-long term loss for Americans.

I’m wondering if Justice Roberts will have a say in these tactics.

7 Likes Save    
cattyles

Kathy, I already saw Roberts once with a look of “are you kidding? are you high” after Cipollone lied.

7 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

I’m wondering if Justice Roberts will have a say in these tactics.

If the repubs keep making stuff up he might call for a retrial, nyuk

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

No documents from the WH means they are covering up Trump’s crime.

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

I really like Val Demings saying she has never seen so much effort of someone to hide documents that prove his innocence.

9 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Right Kathy.......Trump yelling I'm innocent I tell ya and I have the documents to prove it, .............but you'll just have to take my word for it, yes your Honor, my word.

5 Likes Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

Val Demings is a rock star!

The truth always comes out. It will come out regardless of how much the republicans would like to cover it up. Right now they are playing a game of Beat the Clock. They want to suppress the truth until the election to help Trump get reelected. After that, all bets are off. So it's up to the democrats in congress and the media and the historians to make sure the truth comes out before November.

9 Likes Save    
Delilah66

I was unable to tune into any broadcasts yesterday and today and will also not be able to watch tomorrow. Any suggestions for catchups?

Save    
ubro(2a)

@LindseyGrahamSC

Quite frankly, having Adam Schiff lecture the Senate about fairness and due process is like listening to an arsonist talk about fire prevention.

Lindsay? the one who said he won't be impartial? That Lindsay? He has no credibility on truth.

6 Likes Save    
zmith

Delilah, maybe try C-span. You can watch "live" or "from the beginning"

https://www.c-span.org/video/?468163-1/senate-impeachment-trial-day-2&live

3 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Kathy

No documents from the WH means they are covering up Trump’s crime.

By that measure, you believe Obama was covering up Fast and Furious?

1 Like Save    
cattyles

I hope everyone won’t let themselves be diverted by the same old tired tactics.

8 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

@SethAbramson

If you want to know how full-on INSANE these 53-47 votes opposing amendments are, imagine a prosecutor at a trial saying, "Your Honor, we move for the admission of {checks notes} EVIDENCE..." and then losing that motion, then asking again, losing again, asking again, losing again

5 Likes Save    
Embothrium(Sunset Climate Zone 5, USDA Hardiness Zone 8)

By that measure, you believe Obama was covering up Fast and Furious?

"But Obama!"

5 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Ronna McDaniel@GOPChairwoman

.@reaDonaldTrump leads on the world stage, Dems try to undermine him.

Sept: POTUS at the UN, Pelosi starts impeachment

Dec: POTUS at NATO, Dems hold hearings

Last week, POTUS signs deal with China; Dems celebrate impeachment

Today: POTUS at Davos, Dems keep up impeachment

Save    
Kathy

Trump has to this day ignored the subpoena for documents. Obama turned them over after they were subpoenaed.

3 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

@Seth, two words; Harry Reid.

But yeah...expect a lot more tantrums from the Democrats.

Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Expecting evidence at a trial.

What a non-Republican concept.

5 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

The House managers need to call this out again and again as the cameras are rolling. "We are now about to see the GOP once again deny the Senate and the People of the United States of America the ability to see evidence, something fundamental to any kind of trial whatsoever."

8 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Uh uh, Kathy...

"

WASHINGTON — The White House said Tuesday night that it would refuse to allow its director of political strategy to testify Wednesday before a Republican-led House committee investigating whether the administration had illegally conducted political activity in the West Wing.

In a letter to Representative Darrell Issa, the chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, the president’s top lawyer said that as a member of the executive branch the political director, David Simas, had immunity from being compelled to testify before Congress.

Mr. Issa’s committee subpoenaed Mr. Simas last week, contending that the White House should not have opened the Office of Political Strategy and Outreach this year. Mr. Issa told the White House in May that “the American people have a right to know if their tax dollars are being spent to support congressional campaigns during the 2014 midterm elections in violation of federal law.”

In a statement on Tuesday, Mr. Issa said that the decision to prevent Mr. Simas from testifying was “another attack on our nation’s Constitution” and that he planned to examine whether the president intended to assert executive privilege."

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/16/us/politics/obama-official-wont-testify-to-congress.html

Save    
Kathy

No documents no witnesses and they call it a trial? Justice needs to step in.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

HU952

FYI

Trump is wrong that Obama White House refused to turn over documents in congressional probes

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2019/mar/08/donald-trump/did-obamas-white-house-refuse-turn-over-any-docume/

Washington (CNN)House Oversight Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz said Friday that the Obama administration has turned over documents related to the "Fast and Furious" operation.

The House voted in 2012 to hold then-Attorney General Eric Holder in contempt for refusing to turn over documents tied to the botched gun-running sting -- a discredited operation that had become a sharp point of contention between Democrats and Republicans.

1 Like Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Chief Justice Roberts' silence is complicity.

4 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Chief Justice Roberts' silence is complicity.

Who had this on their Bingo card?

I did!

Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Sekulow started to do the "where is the whistleblower" thing, but it felt like even he knows that's the worst possible argument. He just threw it out there to make the President happy and then sat back down, I can only hope in horrible shame.

3 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Kathy, you have a different event there. Close no cigar.

Save    
HU-885118952

Sekulow is owning Schiff. I hope he brings up the fake whistle blower many, many, many more times, and demands Schiff testify about his cabal.

2 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Trump and McConnell are proving Obstruction of Congress (the second impeachment article) by their conduct in the Senate trial proceedings through their efforts to obstruct all evidence being admitted at trial.

5 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Exercising powers of office is not obstruction, no matter how many times the Democrats repeat the lie.

1 Like Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Adam Schiff:
"You don't get credit for transparency when you get caught"
"The only corruption that Trump cared about, was what he could bring about"

5 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Schiff is high. That phone call was void of any crime. Now, Biden's explicit threat was!

Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

LOL.

2 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

McConnell wants everyone to fall asleep and dream there was a fair trial.

"McConnell’s rules only permit senators to drink water or milk during Senate trial"

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

HU 952, start your own thread on Obama if you are interested in discussing FF. I’m not.

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

I thought Sekulow sounded elementary. Repeated lies and no evidence. Schiff is miles beyond him in intelligence and style.

5 Likes Save    
Nana H

"I really like Val Demings saying she has never seen so much effort of someone to hide documents that prove his innocence."

Bears repeating.

10 Likes Save    
Kathy

She is not a lawyer but she speaks succinctly and very convincingly. She is the only one without a law degree but I am sure she knows a lot because of her previous vocation anyway.

3 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

LOL.

Remember when Obama told 16,241 lies?
Me neither.

8 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Schiff- "We have many unanswered questions that need to be investigated". OMG, then why didn't you do your job and investigate?

3 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Every one of Schumer's amendments voted down 53-47. I hope Mitch still has his finger on the kill switch.

I think it is very telling that every Republican, moderates and all, are voting Schumer down. Schumer was relying on those moderates and he's not getting them.

The media was leaking stories that 4-5 Republicans would defect, and as usual; fake news to prop up the Democrats' narrative.

1 Like Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Know what kind of people want all evidence to be presented?
Innocent people.

13 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

It’s not that any of the Senate GOP think he’s innocent,
it’s that they just don’t care that he’s guilty.

17 Likes Save    
Nana H

952, those moderates got McConnell to change the rules before they embarrassed him on the floor. These motions were not expected to go anywhere. The rubber will not the road on witnesses .

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

McConnell had that concession chambered.

Save    
Nana H

By that you mean that they cornered him at lunch, an hour before the official start, and told him they could not stand by the resolution....... So you better change it Mitch

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

The so called moderates have it figured out they can vote for documents later in the trial, because no one will be able to ask questions. Then they can appear sanctimonious to their constituents.

Save    
Kathy

Thoughts from an ex Republican.

8 Likes Save    
how2girl

Dems are calmly & methodically building the case that the Senate will be guilty of a #coverup if it “enables” Trump to continue to conceal 71 documents & block 12 witnesses from testifying. Conclusion: They have something to hide.

McConnell is doing his best to undermine proceedings. Controlling the broadcast timing reeks of desperation - so the believers can continue to receive their biased information from the cult TV networks. Ultimately the truth will out. If he’s innocent the trial would be held in the open, during daylight hours, for all to see. Nope, nothing to see here (s.)

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

I cannot understand how Trump’s lawyers aren’t held to contempt of court with their lies. It’s because the GOP are traitors to our Constitution.

5 Likes Save    
elvis

What lies, Kathy? Please be specific.

Save    
Kathy

Elvis, They lied Trump couldn’t have or question witnesses during the judicial hearings.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

Love Nadler. Cipollone acts outraged the GOP is accused of a coverup. What a joke.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

OMB just turned over 227 Pages of documents ordered by court before midnight. They are still holding back 120 pages.

1 Like Save    
Chi

This is a huge mistake on the Senate's part. The vast majority of Americans want to see a fair trial with testimony.

New poll results today show that even 71% of Republicans think that witnesses with firsthand knowledge should be allowed to testify. That goes up to 93% of Dems and 81% of Independents.

https://www.newsweek.com/republicans-think-witnesses-testify-trump-impeachment-mcconnell-1483264

5 Likes Save     Thanked by Kathy
lurker111

The vast majority of Americans want to see a fair trial with testimony.

Nonsense. We have laws and Americans insist that the crats follow the laws. Who care what a silly little propaganda poll claims? The senate will base everything on what was presented, as the law requires.

I watched nadler and schiff commit perjury many times, yesterday.

Save    
how2girl

...heavily redacted documents turned over 2 minutes before the deadline, confirming a flurry of emails on the day of THAT phonecall.

This is interesting...supporting documents from the US Gov’t Accountability Office (obtained under FOI) concluding there WAS a violation when Trump withheld funds from Ukraine.

It’s a 9 page PDF, will need to read past P1 below:

https://www.gao.gov/assets/710/703909.pdf

7 Likes Save    
Kathy

How2 girl. Did the GAO and the OMB both turn over documents at the last minute?

The Senate has blocked every amendment for the trial so there were no concessions to the Dems. So no witnesses and no documents will be allowed at this point by McConnell and the GOP Senate?

Trump gives the GOP his orders. He wants to be acquitted.

1 Like Save    
cattyles

Thanks for posting that how2girl.

3 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

GOP senators, as much as we might wish it otherwise (for their sake) are smart folks who do know (at least broadly speaking) how bad this is. They know the president is a criminal. Please don't think otherwise and assume their ignorance.

10 Likes Save    
how2girl

Kathy,

No, not turned over. They were obtained & released by American Oversight, under FOI.

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

I’m hearing the documents from the OMB, were heavily redacted. The GAO show wrongdoing by Trump.

Keeping in mind the OMB is a branch of the executive while the GAO is a non-partisan oversight group.

5 Likes Save    
batyabeth

Midnight trials, no witnesses, no evidence...........hmmmmm, Joe McCarthy must be so pleased.

This sounds like that trial of the Russian dissident woman who was running against Putin, a sham trial with sham evidence and a sham finding so she would be unable to speak, and the press couldn't report her views either. But gosh I wonder where the similarity started, who had the brilliant idea, "lets run a Soviet style "trial" at midnight with no witnesses and no evidence"?

What could go wrong? (she says with her head in her hands)

6 Likes Save    
Kathy

McCarthy, Roy Cohn, Trump MAGA.

4 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

How quickly the American Shining Light was extinguished.

6 Likes Save    
Kathy

It shows you what happens when we get complacent.

5 Likes Save    
Kathy

Good read, might be good thread. Where we are headed. It is depressing.

https://freedomhouse.org/report/modern-authoritarianism-conclusion

2 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Or distracted by IMPOTUS' Outrage Du Jour.

3 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

What the GOP allows Trump to get away with becomes the standard for future presidents.

We had a good run.

8 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

No witnesses allowed. Is this really true. I am frightened that is ok with the Republicans. This does not sound like the US that I am familiar with. This sounds more and more like Russia everyday. I guess Putin is doing a good job of running our country the way he wants. Just frightening.

7 Likes Save    
batyabeth

yes apparently it's true. It's terrifying

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

Trump admitted dems have no material because he has it all.

5 Likes Save    
Iris GW

It will be in the history books (probably not in public schools in TX but you know what I mean).

7 Likes Save    
Kathy

Hu886. That is a perfect analogy. A show trial. I have been reading Mitch doesn’t want witnesses. He wants a quick end to this.

2 Likes Save    

How many have sold their souls to defend and protect this malignant narcissist?

8 Likes Save    
Iris GW

No worries, their names will all be on record of how they voted, what they said and what they didn't say. Fodder for their opponent in a future re-election campaign.

5 Likes Save    
Kathy

Schiff’ s opening is so apropos and eloquent. It will go down as one of his finest moments imho.

5 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Evidence will continue to come out.

6 Likes Save    
paprikash

Schiff is about as eloquent as a monkey. I’m done with the stupid, repetitious, partisan bull, aka the democrats opening arguments, for today.

1 Like Save    
HU-699631886

you're acting like you're scared of Schiff. He's just a little too effective isn't he.

ETA: The comments I was referring to have now disappeared.

3 Likes Save    

stupid, repetitious, partisan bull

Pretty much Trump's opinion of the U.S. Constitution.

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

Schiff is impressive. American’s are listening. His motive Is to repeat for those who can’t tune in at midnight.

5 Likes Save    
Iris GW

I’m done with the stupid, repetitious, partisan bull, aka the democrats opening arguments, for today.

Don't worry, the lying counsel for Trump will be back soon.

4 Likes Save    

Schiff is impressive.

He was an Assistant United States Attorney -- he knows what he's doing.

5 Likes Save    
Kathy

It’s telling when there is no defense. The defense attacks the prosecutors.

5 Likes Save    

The Gateway Pundit is a name I recognize from posts on Hot Topics -- easily rebutted because of GP's obvious fabrications.

A brief portion of the Snopes entry:

On Sept. 29, 2019, the right-leaning website The Gateway Pundit posted a story headlined, “EXPLOSIVE REPORT: Rep. Adam Schiff Linked to Prominent Ukrainian Arms Dealer!” The purported “arms dealer” in the story is Igor Pasternak, who is neither a prominent arms dealer nor a Ukrainian.

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

Ukraine is fighting for a free and fair Democracy on the border of Russian aggression. Trump just tried to compromise Zelensky. That may be worse than his bribery to investigate Biden.

4 Likes Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

What's the source for the Taste of Ukraine Reception? Why no link?

Oh, I found it. The Son's of Liberty Media. Fake News propaganda site.

https://sonsoflibertymedia.com/bombshell-nancy-pelosi-adam-schiff-connected-to-ukrainian-arms-dealer-igor-pasternak/

Surprise, the post I was referring to has disappeared.

4 Likes Save    
HU-699631886

I watched a little of it last night on Fox and it was during the Ingraham hour.

I noticed when she didn't like what was being discussed, she jumped in and pretended to make it clearer. But what she was really doing was changing the info they just heard . Overrode it with the Fox Spin.

2 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

I was channel surfing and noticed Ingrahamramos doing that too 886

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

Surprised we didn't hear " Laura said....." here.

Coverage of the trial wth running live commentary by pundits is what is. Deliberate manipulation of the facts and it works.

1 Like Save    
Lukki Irish

McTurtle might be able to shove this cover up under the rug, but I would not be surprised and am even hopeful that Nancy Pelosi will decide to start a new impeachment process for a whole new set of offenses....she has so many to choose from. At least that way the corruption and the obstruction to cover it up will stay front and center in voters faces until November.

McTurtle and Graham need to go!!

4 Likes Save    
Nana H

I seriously doubt she will do that at this point. However, I think she will brilliantly parlay the refusal of witnesses ( should it come to that ) into a huge political win going into 2020.

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Believe me, the average person who does not live for this stuff on a daily basis will be so sick of this whole thing very very soon. My bet is they will turn on their TV and curse this impeachment, if for no other reason then it is upsetting their TV viewing lol.

Save    
maddie260

When all is said and done, Wash Po and NYT will still be the papers of record for this time; fox news all be remembered as yellow journalism. Republicans will go down in history as cowards who enabled a sick man as potus. I'm going with Wash Po's and NYT's agreements that this is a Republican cover up.

7 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Latest from Pew Research

JANUARY 22, 2020

By a Narrow Margin, Americans Say Senate Trial Should Result in Trump’s Removal

Majority says Trump has definitely or probably done things that are illegal

https://www.people-press.org/2020/01/22/by-a-narrow-margin-americans-say-senate-trial-should-result-in-trumps-removal/

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

Very interesting article was a bit surprised about younger Republican given the impression I have gotten here from Trump supporters.

"By comparison, 26% of Republicans ages 18 to 29 and 16% of those 30 to
49 say the outcome of the Senate trial should result in Trump’s removal
from office. There are no age differences in these views among
Democrats: Roughly 85% of those in all age groups say the outcome of the
Senate trial should be Trump’s removal."

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

Nana- if YOU had not told us that you would make the comment "whatever" when we brought up predictions, I would not have made the comment. LOL, don't you realize that?

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Not what I was referring to.....but whatever

Save    
queenmargo

OK, whatever it is;)

Save    
dandyfopp

Very interesting article was a bit surprised about younger Republican given the impression I have gotten here from Trump supporters.

And this Nana

Clear majorities of both black (82%) and Hispanic (66%) Americans say the Senate trial should result in Trump’s removal, while 58% of white Americans say the Senate should not remove Trump.

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I also noted in Dandy's source (PEW Research) this bit of info:

"There is a stark difference in these views by education, particularly among white Americans. Nearly two-thirds of white Americans without a college degree (64%) say Trump should remain in office following the Senate trial. But the balance of opinion is reversed among white Americans with a college degree or more education: 53% say the outcome of the Senate trial should be that Trump is removed from office."

----------------------------

I haven't read this long thread completely, so I don't know if the CNN poll published today has been mentioned. If not, here are some interesting findings that parallel the PEW Research findings above:

-------------------

"A slender majority of Americans in a new CNN poll said the Senate should vote to convict President Donald Trump and remove him from office.

Fifty-one percent of Americans — a majority within the poll's margin of error — said the Senate should vote to remove Trump, while 45% said the Senate should vote to acquit him.

CNN's poll, which was conducted Thursday to Sunday by SSRS and interviewed 1,156 adults by phone with a margin of error of plus or minus 3.4 percentage points, also found that 58% of Americans believed the president abused his power and 57% believed he obstructed the inquiry by Congress into the matter."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/poll-eve-trumps-impeachment-trial-001816243.html

------------------------------

Kate

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

Schiff is high. That phone call was void of any crime. Now, Biden's explicit threat was!

Again, you don't need a crime.

1 Like Save    
Lukki Irish

Nana, I’ve actually heard it mentioned a couple of times by some of the media. I know that doesn’t mean much but then again, lawyers at the table at least confirmed there are no laws to prevent it. I thought it was an interesting idea.

Make no mistake, McTurtle is working the trial the way he is so he can eventually move to dismiss the charges. He’s just as evil as frumpy is, if not more....his wife is just like him too.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

One heard it too but I think Pelosi is too smart to do that as the election approaches.

BTW this O' Grady gal loves your handle

Save    

Clear majorities of both black (82%) and Hispanic (66%) Americans say the Senate trial should result in Trump’s removal

But Blacks and Latinos are supporting Trump in numbers greater than ever!

It has to be true because I read that right here on Hot Topics.

4 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

But Blacks and Latinos are supporting Trump in numbers greater than ever!

Tis' True, supporting his removal from office.

5 Likes Save    
cattyles

Nancy, I remember when all sides and political parties we’re mostly about posting facts.

6 Likes Save    
Kathy

We live in a world where pundits are taken seriously. Many can not distinguish between them and the facts.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

We've all seen enough of the nuthouse crats. No one listens to them. It is a crime to lie to the senate. The crats are under oath.

Save    
socks(10a)

I would love to know what’s going on in Roberts’ head.

Schiff was phenomenal!

Maybe anyone who sleeps, leaves or does puzzles should be excluded from the vote. I hope everyone listens carefully to the gop presentation in spite of possible/probable lies.

Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

If they leave the floor then they broke their oath and should not be allowed to vote.

1 Like Save    
zmith

Lurker: "The crats are under oath."

Funny, I thought everyone took an oath, not just the Democrats.

3 Likes Save    
Kitchenwitch111

stupid, repetitious, partisan bull

Pretty much Trump's opinion of the U.S. Constitution.

Trump also thinks the US Constitution is a foreign language!

1 Like Save    
Kathy

The Republicans are doing pretzel turns spinning this story into a valid investigation by Trump. It’s a bitter pill to swallow to realize not only Trump but the AG and SOS are covering for crimes the President committed.

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

Funny, I thought everyone took an oath, not just the Democrats.

Yes, and the crats have committed perjury.

Save    
Kathy

The Rep lawyers are lying about facts. The facts are there but the pubs don’t want to see them. They cry no new evidence but they vote against admitting new evidence.😬

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

You have to "want" to see the facts. That explains it.

Save    
haydayhayday

From another thread:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5855971/could-we-have-a-chat-about-fnm-please#n=44

kathy:

"I’m fine with whatever you do Maddie. You are more than kind with your effort to please. I just hide the ones I don’t want to see and it works for me."

Would you mind sharing with us how you "hide the ones I don’t want to see"

Not demonstrate it on this post, but share just how you do it?

Thanks.

Hay

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Hay, from what I understand you can hide comments you don’t want to see by clicking the don’t like it. it removes it from my view but others can still see it.

Save    
cattyles

Click the flag, click “don’t like it”, click submit.

Save    
queenmargo

Some are experts on this stuff lol lol

Save    
haydayhayday

Margo's just-now post disappeared.

How did you make that happen?

Hay

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

LOL- I have to laugh at this stuff

Usually takes 2 to tango

Save    
Kathy

Hay what comment are you talking about? I still see it.

Save    
haydayhayday

"Hay what comment are you talking about? I still see it."

The one that was right right after my initial question. Not the one about tango.

Tell me what you say you see.

Please

Hay

Save    
Kathy

After your initial question I answered you.

Save    
queenmargo

It's gone Hay, as I noticed my avatar was no longer in line on the front page

Save    
haydayhayday

"After your initial question I answered you."

I know. And then Margo made a comment. I turn around and it's gone.

In the blink of an eye.

Kind of hard to have a conversation when posts go missing, isn't it.?

Hay

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Yup. POOF

Save    
haydayhayday

"Kind of hard to have a conversation when posts go missing, isn't it.?"

Do you have an answer or comment about that question?

Thanks.

Hay

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

Now, Margo's comment is back!

"Some are experts on this stuff lol lol"

Strange world we live in.

Hay

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

Strange = obvious.

Save    
haydayhayday

How did it disappear and suddenly reappear?

Hay

Save    
Kathy

Hay

People who have access to two computers or devices can flag their own comments with another device. Then they can claim someone else flagged them. I think too many are playing head games on HTs. They are not interested in serious discussions as we see from so many not able to concentrate on the impeachment hearings. They want sound bites and entertainment.

yes, it does make conversations hard to follow.

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Kathy if you are inferring that I flagged my own comment, you are wrong.

Save    
haydayhayday

"People who have access to two computers or devices can flag their own comments with another device. "

If something like that happened... Margo flagged her own comment... somehow...how, then did it just as quickly return?

"yes, it does make conversations hard to follow."

For the record, I agree.
Which is why I don't flag.

Never have.

Never expect to unless it gets really, really necessary. Hasn't happened yet.

I don't like someone deciding for me what I should see. I extend the same courtesy to all of you.

Hay

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Margo it didn’t necessarily mean you. Anyone can click I don’t like it and undo the click later. That is the option. Gameplayers. .

Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

I just clicked on the flag for the first time, never knew it offered choices.

Save    
haydayhayday

"Margo it didn’t necessarily mean you. Anyone can click I don’t like it and undo the click later. That is the option. Gameplayers."

That can't explain why margo's post would disapprear FOR ME and then reappear.

Can I flag your posts as 'spam" or "abusive" and then unflag them?

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

vgkg;

I just clicked on the flag for the first time, never knew it offered choices."

Good for you for never ever using it!

I can remember a conversation from a while back where people were pretty open about their flagging. I was very much surprised at

A) How many people did it.

B) Didn't hide that fact.

C) And that they were from "both" sides around here. "conservatives", "progressives" and everything in between.

I happen to think it's very much an "Abuse of Power" as it's generally used.

Power corrupts.

Thanks for trying to help me understand it.

I'm outta here for a while.

Hasta La Vista!

Hay

Save    
Joaniepoanie

Izzy Mn(4)

If they leave the floor then they broke their oath and should not be allowed to vote.

How are a group of R senators allowed to leave the floor? Why can’t/didn’t Roberts hold them in contempt?

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

I don’t know Hay. I just know what I do. You can click I don’t like my post and then I click it as far as I know. I don’t know how things happen. I just post and if someone wants to flag it go ahead. I’m not really into keeping track of what others do. Some are more interested in that than me. I am responsible for me and I am not here to play games. That’s all I can say.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

The Reps just don’t want to hear evidence. McConnell has only allowed water or milk on the floor. No coffee. That alone is ridiculous and will make people leave for a while.

I also think they leave to confer, even if it’s in the restrooms.

Save    
Joaniepoanie

No coffee allowed? The only liquid not allowed should be alcohol. McConnell is so transparent—-does he really think he’s fooling anyone with all his nonsense?

And I would think they couldn't just get up and leave en masse. Guess we’ll see if Dems do it when R’s have the floor.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Who drinks milk? It puts you to sleep. They should have to sign out for breaks. Then we would see who is abusing the breaks.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

I think some of those late afternoon and nighttime breaks are for a swig and I don't mean milk, water or coffee.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

I agree listening for hours can be tiring but McConnell didn’t make it any easier, that’s for sure. The GOP claims it is repetitive and yet they keep voting down new evidence. They are counting the minutes to dismissal. It is a major coverup.

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

At this point I'm thinking that its ( hee hee... ) smarter for the Republicans to dismiss than go to a vote on witnesses.

Save    
Joaniepoanie

Repubs are deservedly backed into a corner for protecting Trump. McConnell is just treading water. No way can they “win” here.

No witnesses/documents/dismissal = a coverup.

Witnesses/documents proving irrefutable guilt but they all vote to acquit = blatant partisan corruption.

Either way—-the GOP has sunk its own ship.

5 Likes Save    
queenmargo

It is a major coverup.

No witnesses/documents/dismissal = a coverup.

Cover up- left wing propaganda network buzz word of the trial, they are preparing .....

1 Like Save    
Kathy

A trial with no witnesses or documents is called what? A coverup. It’s not a trial that’s for sure.

4 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

GOP Defense:

everyone in America who knows about the Ukraine scandal is lying except the guy who's told 16,000 lies as president.

9 Likes Save    
lurker111

This isn't fantasy land at the nuthouse. The crats are going to need strong evidence that proves their case beyond any reasonable doubt. They have none. This will be thrown out as an unconstitutional attack on America.

Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

It's not a criminal trial.

Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

If you or I were subpoenaed for a trial your boss was involved in and you refused to come to court what would happen? What would happen in the "real world" if subpoenaed but we're told by our boss you don't have to testify and pressure, not blatant, but pressure none the less, to not testify. What would happen in the real world?

1 Like Save    
Kathy

There is no evidence Ukraine meddled in the 2016 elections. Only Trump and his conspiracy theorists want to blame Ukraine to please Putin who has been proven to interfere.

3 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

Trump brags about obstructing Congress, which is the second article of impeachment:

“We’re doing very well. I got to watch enough. I thought our team did a very good job. But, honestly, we have all the material; they don’t have the material.”

7 Likes Save    
chipotle

Someone should play that on a loop at the trial.

4 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Russia has been pushing that piece of propaganda about Ukraine since 2016, I believe, to muddy the waters and misdirect scrutiny.

4 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

A confession like that would end any trial.

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

Trump said it was Putin who told him it was Ukraine. Talk about Gullible!

3 Likes Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

But there were those love letters!

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Confession? Some people hear "material" and think they heard "incriminating evidence"? How sad.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Documents the WH is holding and won’t release are material to the case.

4 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

“I’m innocent, I’m innocent——but don’t let any witnesses testify on my behalf and don’t turn the documents over which prove my innocence.”

Makes perfect sense, huh?....unless...... you have no witnesses who can truthfully testify on your behalf and there aren’t any documents that prove your innocence.

3 Likes Save    
margaritadina

''

chipotle

71% of Democrats, 56% of independents and 40% of Republicans say Senate should call additional witnesses to testify.
''

No one asked me. So, where an I in your layout? ))))

Actually, I would like to have Joe on a stand to testify under oath. And Hunter.

Save    
Kathy

Biden would blow away their lies and they know it. They will never call him.

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

Malarkey!

2 Likes Save    
paprikash
  • Opinions are not evidence. Not necessary to prove one’s innocence. Prove guilt without hearsay, without opinion, without guessing what our POTUS was thinking, without relying on disgruntled people with axes to grind or political partisans, without making up the substance of phone calls —prove it! And, if we are going to impeach a POTUS, make sure it’s a high crime and misdemeanor not a political tantrum by either political party just because they are unhappy that their side didn’t win the presidency.
1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

Actually, I would like to have Joe on a stand to testify under oath. And Hunter.

Actually, we should get the terrorists in GITMO, fly them to The Swamp, sit them in those awful chairs, give them a glass of milk, and to get them to talk by forcing them to listen to Schiff, Nadler and the other Democrat managers in the Senate trial. They will beg for mercy, and give it up.

Although, it might be condemned by The Hague.

Save    
Kathy

The proof has been spelled out, shown and testified to by witnesses. The only thing they don’t have is a confession.

Save    
HU-885118952

Prove guilt without hearsay, without opinion, without guessing
what our POTUS was thinking, without relying on disgruntled people with
axes to grind or political partisans,

The Democrats would have us be in the dark about who in this equation is to be treated fairly. It's not whomever Trump fired. It's the accused.

It's Trump.

2 Likes Save    
paprikash

Opinions and hearsay is not proof

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

Listen to the evidence. You are behind the curve with disinformation.

6 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

paprikash

Opinions and hearsay is not proof

Rhetoric and brow beating aren't either.

What the Dems lack in facts they make up for with narrative.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

The WH has no defense. The lawyers are all sham and no substance. They can’t even vouch for Trump’s character because it is so bad.

5 Likes Save    
margaritadina

''

Kathy

Biden would blow away their lies and they know it. They will never call him. ''

And that's exactly why Dems don't want him to testify )))

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Biden is not relevant. That is just a dog and pony show to divert. Trump was not concerned with an investigation into corruption. He only wanted Zelensky to SAY he was conducting an investigation. He knew there was no corruption.

2 Likes Save    
paprikash

There goes that mind reading again

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

No pap that is a fact.

2 Likes Save    
paprikash

He knew there was no corruption. How do you know that?

Save    
cattyles

You’d know the answer if you read real news and listened to the evidence. It’s fine if you don’t want to know but that’s not a factual basis for defending trump.

6 Likes Save    
Kathy

If he thought there was corruption he would have had the FBI on it. He only wanted the perception of corruption.

1 Like Save    

It's not Democrats keeping our rightward marching comrades in the dark...

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

Schiff spelled it out. Trump will do what is good for Trump. You cannot count on him. He chose Giuliani over the FBI. He did what was good for him. His own interests will always come first.

3 Likes Save    
elvis

Kathy

The proof has been spelled out, shown and testified to by witnesses.

Only in dreamland. I'm beyond being surprised by that mindset. It's creepy. Carry on, though.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Elvis, What have you heard that isn't truth?

Save    
lurker111

Schiff just contradicted the whole impeachment and exposed the treachery. He isn't aware of what he just did. What a moron. This is what happens when you try to embellish a story. You get lost in the lies and don't realize that your story doesn't add up.

Goodnight. :^)

Save    
Kathy

One thing is for sure. Schiff is no moron.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

History will be the judge.

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

One thing is for sure. Schiff is no moron.

lol, You are entitled to your opinion. I'm going to contact the republican senators today. No one caught what he said because no one was listening to the moron. Read your meme for more evidence. I'm sorry to tell that moron that his paranoid delusions are not constitutional reasons for impeaching a president.

History will be the judge.

No, the senate will be the judge.

Save    
lurker111

The WH has no defense.

The crats don't have a case.

1 Like Save    

Maybe not the last one...

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

The Senate is on trial too. History is judging them too. Don’t kid yourself. A party that has only 4 Senators who MIGHT break from the pact isn’t a party, it’s a cult.

Save    
olliesmom

How can anyone believe Schiffty? I heard Schiffty say "The Senate hasn't called the Dems on any lies, and why is that?" What?1?1? The man is such a liar. I have heard a number of times the Senate call him out on his lies.

https://thegreggjarrett.com/rep-jim-jordan-delivers-knockout-blow-to-schiffs-reputation/?jwsource=cl

Save    
Kathy

If anyone can believe the man who told 16,000 lies they obviously have no idea what is a lie and what is the truth.

3 Likes Save    

What are the lies Rep. Schiff has told, please?

Is it the one about President Trump wanting Ukraine's president to announce an investigation of the Bidens? The one about the 'perfect' phone call?

Or the one about the president obstructing Congress?

Save    
lurker111

Jim Jordan has a list. Feel free to look it up. 12 outright lies the last time I checked.

1 Like Save    
Del Phinium

Kathy

"A party that has only 4 Senators who MIGHT break from the pact isn’t a party, it’s a cult."

Interesting thought, Kathy.

Here's another one for you:

What would you call a party where only 3 Democrats out of 232 (in the House of Representatives) voted against this impeachment? Are the Democrats in the House "a cult" too?

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

They seem to fit her description. Maybe not advanced enough to be a cult. Tribal might be a better word.

Save    
Kathy

Dems don’t vote in a pact because they are being threatened and controlled by the President. There will come a day though, I believe, because of the extreme partisanship that we will have a Dem President and Congress and the shoe will be on the other foot. It’s time for everyone in Congress to vote their conscience.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

tribal is a more neutral word but it fits too.

Save    
Iris GW

What would you call a party where only 3 Democrats out of 232 (in the House of Representatives) voted against this impeachment?

People who see this president and his behavior for the train wreck it is? Those are 229 people who put their next election on the line and voted for impeachment anyway.

Save    
lurker111

It’s time for everyone in Congress to vote their conscience.

That wouldn't be constitutional. They have to vote on the no evidence and no crime.

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

They should vote on the evidence, I agree.

Save    
Kathy

There is no exculpatory evidence so they will attack the prosecutors.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

I wonder if the " defense" will introduce new evidence that supports Trump's "innocence". That should blow the top right off the witness and documents resolution.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

They brought up FISA as one example of wrong doing. They tried to push Zelensky saying the call was fine but that was disproved by their govt contacting US after the call asking where was the aid? We also know Trump was withholding the aid for a long time knowing Ukraine was under Russia’s thumb. Never did Trump say he was concerned about Ukraine corruption. He was always only concerned about the Bidens being trashed in the media by Zelensky.

Save    
lurker111

You wish.

Save    
ubro(2a)

That wouldn't be constitutional. They have to vote on the no evidence and no crime.

Again, no evidence because of refusal to release relevant documents does not mean no crime, obstruction itself can be a reason for removal.

1 Like Save    
elvis

^^^You obviously didn't listen to Dershowitz's presentation. If you're going to opine about American politics, do it right.

Save    
Joaniepoanie

Only Trumpers would listen or believe Dershowitz. He’s become a laughingstock along with Giuliani. Starr already was one.

2 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

Dershowitz wasn't believable, neither are any of Trump's lawyers because they cannot defend him with testimony or factual documents. When both those are presented then maybe their opinion would mean something

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

Dershowitz claimed he thought statutory rape shouldn’t be a crime. Did Epstein convince him of that? What a jerk!

Save    
paprikash

Somehow I kind of believe - no, know - Dershowitz et al are a great deal more knowledgeable than any of us posting here. The President’s attorneys are doing a great job. It may not be what the dems want to hear but it is factual and legal.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

What was factual? They gave a history of previous impeachments then went on to say why it doesn’t apply now. They changed their minds since then. Or are they just defending their previous and current lies? It was more about taking up time talking about nothing pertinent to Trump.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

Might be more knowledgeable but that doesn't make him right. Many equally as knowledgeable lawyers disagree.

4 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

Dershowitz thinks its A Okay for a leader to ask a foreign power to interfere in elections. No matter what country you are from that is a scary thought.

5 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Dershowitz et al are a great deal more knowledgeable than any of us posting here.

More knowlegable alright, on how to twist the facts and the law to make the guilty seem innocent, a good trick on how to fool people, some people.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

Lev Parnas has asked a judge for permission to attend the Senate trial. Schumer has given him tickets.

edited

“Parnas can attend Trump's impeachment trial, but judge won't let him take off ankle monitor”

Save    
Nana H

If true Schumer is a jerk.

Save    
Kathy

I think desperate times call for desperate measures. It might make some Republicans think about their oath.

Save    
queenmargo

Well, we know the Dems ARE desperate.

Save    
momofdoxies

Nana H

If true Schumer is a jerk.

Multiple sources are reporting that Schummers' office did provide the tickets.

(Edited to correct spelling)

Link

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Like I said, if he did he's a jerk.

Save    
paprikash

Well, that’s a given

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

Dershowitz thinks its A Okay for a leader to ask a foreign power to interfere in elections.

More knowlegable alright, on how to twist the facts and the law to make
the guilty seem innocent, a good trick on how to fool people, some
people.

He is a democrat.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Dershowitz claims to be Independent . He is Trump’s lawyer. He says whatever will work for him.

Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

What does that matter? He works twisting the law and facts for trump today.

Besides lurker, you think all demos lie (you trust putin more), so you are proving my point.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

GOP thinking is witnesses would be a waste of time since their minds are made up already.

1 Like Save    
olliesmom

I am ready for all to get back to work for America! This has been such a waste of time and money and good for the country! When I think of all that could have been done, it's just shameful!

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

Actually this is the most work the Senate has done all year. They stopped legislating the day the Dems won the House. The House on the other hand has passed significant legislation and continues to do so.

7 Likes Save    
Toby

How long have those 400 pieces of legislation been sitting on McConnell's desk?

Furthermore, the GOP have already said that they won't touch some of the most important issues until after the election because they know it will be unpopular with the voters. GOPers won't know what they voted for until after the election.

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

400 bills in that amount of time? Talk about an agenda! The house is dysfunctional under pelosi.

Save    
Joaniepoanie

Just think of all that could have gotten done during the what?.....11 Benghazi investigations, which turned up NOTHING. But Trump bribes a foreign leader for his personal benefit , abuses power and obstructs justice and it’s no biggie, let’s just get back to work.

6 Likes Save    
Iris GW

Agree. Anyone who supported multiple Benghazi hearings is a hypocrite to say that we need to just get back to business and stop wasting time and money.

2 Likes Save    
elvis

Kathy

I think desperate times call for desperate measures. It might make some Republicans think about their oath.

Ankle monitors are worn around the ankle, where they are not clearly visible.

Not around the neck, Kathy.

Save    
Kathy

Elvis, Trump is the one with strings attached.

Save    
elvis

Huh?

Save