SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
james_hutchison20

Need help with a gutter/downspout drainage issue

James H
4 years ago

Hello all. I own and have lived in an attached townhouse for roughly 20 years. Over the course of those years I have been dealing with a pretty serious problem with water runoff from the roof. The problem happens in heavy rainstorms and can and has lead to water entering my house (the kitchen is below ground level). This has caused a great deal of stress, especially for my older mother who lives with me. The issue seems to stem from the fact that I live on a row of townhouses where there seems to be a slight slope toward my downspout (see pictures.)

The Problem:

First of all, I think that the spacing of the 3 existing downspouts on the row may be spaced too far apart, leading to a an overburden of water created at the point of my downspout (farthest right circle in the picture. The spacing seems to be around 45 - 50 feet between downspouts). I suspect that this along with the fact that the water seems to slope toward my downspout is causing overflow.

In heavy rain the gutters/downspout can't handle the flow and water winds up coming off the gutters, into the yard and eventually into the house.

My Proposed Solution (along with things I've attempted already):

Now, while I am no expert, I have thought about this quite a bit. I have already widened the existing downspout (see picture below). I have also put in a tube attached to the bottom of that downspout to divert the water away from the house. These measures, however, have not solved the problem entirely. So, I am thinking that adding a downspout would be a good option.

If anyone here can help advise me as to whether another downspout is a good idea, or if another solution is called for, I would be extremely grateful. Thank you very much.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting