SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_647860647

redoing entryway...need help choosing floor, paint, and stain colors

V Smith
4 years ago

We're opening up our entryway closet (up to the ceiling and removing the center partition) and adding built-ins with a bench and coat hooks, along with replacing the carpet in the closet area. The closet area will look something like this inspiration photo when finished (just the right-hand side of the picture). I have a few questions about color selection for the floor, paint, and stain for the bench top.

Quintessentially Wide Open in Wayland · More Info

This is how our entryway looks now.

The entryway will be painted Behr Exclusive Ivory. Would it look best to have the built-in shelves painted the same color, or should they be a different white? There's going to be beadboard painted navy on the closet wall behind the built-in. DH thinks the navy won't look good with the ivory but they seem fine together to me. Leaning toward Behr Very Navy for the navy.

Is there any particular type of paint that would hold up well on the built-in shelves? We have 6 kids so they are hard on everything.

Also wondering about flooring colors. The carpet that's currently in the entryway will be replaced with laminate flooring. Was thinking of something grayish in tone to hopefully blend in somewhat with the existing stone flooring in the entryway, like this. The stone flooring is a mix of black, reddish brown, and gray.

Not sure about stain colors for the bench either. There are three different wood tones in the entryway already...not sure if the bench should match one. The door and door trim is a reddish brown stain which DH does NOT want to paint over. The floor trim is walnut, which is also the trim color in the living room next to the entryway (the edge of the wall that's visible on the right-hand edge of the "now" picture separates the entryway from the living room). Then there's an oak banister leading away from the entryway, and an oak column and small built-in shelf across the hall from the banister. I'm not sure if it would look ok to paint just the floor trim ivory to match the walls? But my ideal bench color is about the color of the bench in the inspiration photo, which isn't any of the existing wood colors...probably closest to the walnut. The door is a bit more reddish than it looks in my picture.

Comment (1)