SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hosta Lakesides 2019 .....

Lakesides my favorites. This is the last day of my work shutdown so show us some beauties.

Have a great Sunday!

Comments (54)

• Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)
    4 years ago

Part II

Lakeside Ripples - new last fall

Lakeside Spellbinder - in June, looked a little ruff later in the season

Lakeside Stormwatch - also seams it needs fertilizer

4 years ago

Part III

Lakeside Surf Rider - new last spring

Lakeside Tee Ki

Lakeside Zinger - this is it's second season, so far not doing too much

• Related Discussions

Hosta Alphabet - Other L hostas (no Lakesides)

Q

Comments (8)
    LIBERTY - just planted last year but already a beauty! LIVERPOOL WHITE the only white I see is bird doo! LONDON FOG LOVELY RITA LOYALIST LUNAR ORBIT
    ...See More

Hosta L 2019 NO Lakesides

Q

Comments (51)
    steve..I'm behind in my hosta gardening..I've planted hosta every year since I moved in but spent more time and money on shrubs and trees..when I moved in my priority was shrubs and understory trees..I had towering trees, groundcover and some perennials but wanted screening..then I planned to fill gaps with hosta and shade plants..I'm so glad that I had the foresight to plant my shrubs and trees..they've grown and I have privacy and "good bones"..now I can work on the "eye candy" beds..
    ...See More

Hosta Lakesides 2020 .........

Q

Comments (33)
    L. Cupcake center melted out for me too. I potted it up my first winter and left it outside (apparently) for the dog to play with. I didn't bother trying to rescue it after that but I love the way it looks in the spring. Paisley Print has such variety as it matures. Debra's looks like it might be streaking/sporting. Thanks to Shadow, Little Tuft is moving up my list. I bought a full pot of L. Spellbinder and divided it into a good chunk and several smaller pieces. Here it is the next year creeping along. Some other 2nd year/small starts/slow growers for me.clockwise from top left: Storm Watch, Symphony, Dividing Line, Prophecy Fulfilled. Hoping for good growth from these this year. L. Old Smokey may be my favorite. I had a great start but the Maple Tree roots and my delayed response left me in reclamation mode. in 2017 - just slightly smaller than when I planted it the previous year. 2018 - would've been a good time to rescue it, but no. 2019 after digging, potting and later replanting. Every eye was separate so I replanted the 3 biggest ones and left the others in small pots. 2020 on the comeback trail, but not loving the frost. Still looking for Breaking News (ordered but never delivered), Cindy Cee, Frosted Mint, Little Tuft (now), Reflecting Glass, Sir Logan (passed when I had the chance), Tropical Breeze.
    ...See More

Hosta L 2022 No Lakesides

Q

Comments (31)
    In my experience the color on Luna Moth is very stable shortly after the spring flush when it starts a little muted with less color contrast. Shadow's is either very early or growing in a lot of shadow (pun intended). Once upon a time I had a row of Luna Moths with more sun (and less root competition) towards the right side of the photo.
    ...See More
  • sunnywood4bChazyNY
    4 years ago

Please overlook the slug holes!

Lakeside Black Satin

Lakeside Cha Cha

Lakeside Cupcake

Lakeside Dragonfly

Lakeside Kleidochrome

Lakeside Lollipop

Lakeside Prophecy

Lakeside Prophecy Fullfilled

Lakeside Shoremaster

Lakeside Ringmaster

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Lakeside Little Tuft .

I Love this little guy. Fast grower and the center is to die for. I have it at the edge of my front garden and Neighbours stop and always comment on how it compliments the big ones. LOL They stopped calling them the leafie plants.

Lakeside Paisley Print

My Tag was moved on me last spring .My husband had been raking and put it where there was not tag. So as the pips were coming out I was so excited. I could not believe how big it had gotten. To my surprise, I was heart broken to see Ann Kalpa looking so tiny. LOL Moral of the story.......he tried.

Paula I loved the cat at the microscope.......guess what I do for my Hosta $$$$.

Loving the Lakesides so far and I can only say I want more!!!

EnJoy and happy Sunday

• StevePA6a
    4 years ago

Beth, do your Lakesides struggle a bit like mine. In general, my LS's don't seem very vigorous here, unless they would just prefer more sun than I'm giving them.

• beverlymnz4
    4 years ago

So I own three Lakesides. Lakeside looking glass is new and I have no picture.

My favorite, Lakeside Paisley Print, has sunk. I dug it up this year and replanted it. It may also have some vole damage. I hope it will come up more symmetrically next year.

Here is Lakeside why-do-I-still-have-it. I mean Lakeside Cup Cake. It is in a premium spot (its third) and still looks like cr@p by July. I have a hard time letting a hosta go.

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    4 years ago

Lol Paula!

So many great LS's. I have a bunch that I did not get pics of but I need all the rest, especially Prophecy Fulfilled, Cindy Cee and Cha Cha. My Paisley Print dwindled away in it's pot before I got it planted.

Cupcake - Beverly mine gets a lot of sun and I will move it because it gets looking somewhat like yours by July.

Dot Com

Down Sized

Looking Glass

Old Smokey changes from this

to this. I am determined to get it planted this year!

Rhapsody

• zkathy z7a NC
    4 years ago

Most Lakesides do well in my garden, I guess they just like the south. My native soil is very acid, so an acid fertilizer might help.

Lakeside Banana Bay, first full season in my garden last year.

Lakeside Cha Cha, has been in this spot since 2014. Not your fastest grower.

Lakeside Dragonfly, my absolute favorite!

Lakeside Kaleidescope, a pine tree fell on this one, so I ended up with two of them in pots after it’s rescue. This Hosta loves my garden and always looks great!

Lakeside Party Dress also new last year.

In spite of all my rah-rah about how Lakesides do so well for me, I didn’t even see LS Paisley Print last year. It dwindled every year and I guess it’s gone now.

Lakeside Lollipop is so cute! I want one!

• Karin Black Cat
    4 years ago

• mae (zone 5b On)
    4 years ago

LS Storm Watch

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    4 years ago

Paula..I wish my childhood bangs looked as nice as the cat's..mine were crooked!..

no Lakesides for me..I'll share my bluebirds that came by this morning..they were adorable..don't miss the one at the bottom of the picture..

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Paula, the cat jokes always crack me up and I am sure I had bangs like that when I was a kid too!

Saija, every day you are the first one to post......you must be up early, because as far as I can tell, Paula is posting about 5 a.m. I am the late sleeper of this group. I love your Little Tuft and Prophecy Fufilled unfurling and open is gorgeous

stevePA your Cindy Lee is huge and perfect

beth, love the color of your Cha Cha and your Ripples and Surfrider look like they will be Hugh and rise above many other hostas

sunnywood, your slug holes are nothing compared to mine, haha. I love the dark color on Lollipop and that Shoremaster is to die for. Love the leaf stripes.

shadow, I have Paisley Print, new last fall, but it looks so different when young. Love how it will look when grows up

beverly, your Paisley Print is also lovely and I am wondering if the damage on Cupcake is sun burn?

peren.all, I just love that little Dot Com! I may have to look for that one. And your garden is so lovely and full with other flowers and plants, I wish I had the sun for a yard like that....sigh

zkathy, I do so love the colors of Banana Bay and Party Dress and your Dragonfly is such a beauty as well. So perfect.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

I only have one LS and it is Paisley Print bought from a hosta vendor, NH I think. It has a long way to go.

This is when first planted.

This is a few weeks later in September

• mbug_gw
    4 years ago

Steve.....I think I need Lakeside Cindy Cee....yours is a beauty.

Always enjoy the Lakesides!

Lakeside Paisley Print

Lakeside Lollipop

Lakeside Shore Master

Lakeside Black Mama.....needs new location. Victory has grown over it!

Lakeside Color Blue....work in progress, but promising. Good color. Another that will get a spring move.

Lakeside Cupcake ....hasn't done much so far.

Lakeside Hoola Hoop

Lakeside Dragonfly on right....Ghost Spirit on left.

Lakeside Kaleidoscope

Lakeside Meter Maid

Lakeside Midnight Miss

Lakeside Neat Petite

• Saija_Finland
    4 years ago

Djacob: No I'm not early, I'm just in different continent, LOL. I am from Finland and usually I post my fotos after work.

There are so many beautiful Lakesides. I think I must try again Lakeside Paisley Print, had one but it died :(

Saija

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Karin, Mae, mbug and Nicholsworth, we were all posting at the same time!

Karin, always love your hosta photos! Today I am drawn to Breaking News and Party Dress. I constantly find myself attracted to the yellow/light green/chartreuse colors.

mae, your Storm Watch has really nice leaf ruffling and color.

nicholsworth, you can post your lovely birds anytime as far as I am concerned. Love seeing Bluebirds!

Mbug, wow! You have so many! Your Paisley Print looks so different from others, it is still lovely....just a reminder how different hostas can look from garden to garden. Shoremaster is a stunner, the colors so rich. I see Hula Hoop sent up a new pip, so cute. But of all your LS, I must say I absolutely looove the Color Blue! This may be my favorite so far. I hope it’s not difficult to find as I would really like one. What kind of light is yours in?

• mbug_gw
    4 years ago

djacobz,,,,,Thank you!.....The center variegation of my LSPP is not as pronounced as many others I've seen. Hope age will bring it out more, but don't know if that happens. Still a beauty in the garden.

LSColor Blue gets lots of morning and early afternoon sun...maybe too much. A priority in the spring is to find the right spot for it.

• sandyslopes z6 n. UT
    4 years ago

Lol, paula, I am definitely a real gardener.

Only a couple Lakesides to show this year....

Lakeside Baby Face

Lakeside Elfin Fire (mini)

• Karin Black Cat
    4 years ago

There are so many beautiful Lakesides! I wasn't lucky with my LS Paisley Print, it died after 3 years of growing backwards...maybe I give it another try.

I will have to look for Lakeside Colour Blue...

Another problem Lakeside...

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Karin, I agree about the LS Colour Blue. It’s stunning. I love your little Elfin Fire. I wish I could grow hostas in pots. I don’t think I could do the over wintering thing... too much work where I live in cold, cold Wisconsin... I do also like that Khum Kaw....awesome! What a name!

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    4 years ago

Lakeside Dragonfly:

Lakeside Little Tuft:

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Mae, I have admired everyone’s Dragonfly and Little Tuft and yours are no different. But your Dragonfly has such soft coloring and I do like that a lot.

• beverlymnz4
    4 years ago

djocobz, yes, the damage is sun damage but it gets only a very brief amount of direct sun in the morning. Any other hosta would love to have this location. I have had it in dappled shade all day but it won't grow and still had that problem:( In this location, at least, it gained some size. Maybe I should grow it to full size, a couple more years, and then move it into the dark where I can use one of those fancy lights they use in art museums, the ones that don't cause any light damage, to highlight it. lol. Well anyways, I need to face the fact that its not tough enough for my garden.

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    4 years ago

Most Lakesides grow slow for me and I have a few new ones, and they're not always treated very well, so not many looking great last year. Lakeside Cup Cake was an easy cull for me. It looked ugly, so I pulled it out, put it in a pot over the winter, started to rot, the dogs liked the smell and pulled it out of the pot where it lay outside for a while. If only they had left it on the driveway, it might have survived.

Lakeside Old Smokey looked fantastic until the Maple tree roots invaded.

Mbug did a great job capturing the color on that L. Color Blue, but I bet it looks even better in real life. I love the color on mine, but didn't get any pics last year as it got moved and is still small. The way the blue is reflected onto other leaves make it seem to glow. (From 2018)

The ones that do well for me include L. Banana Bay (planted in 2018)

L. Dragonfly was moved a couple times and never even noticed (planted and replanted in 2018) - also in my pic of June (J's)

Lakeside Full Tide - bought 3 eyes split from a gallon pot (literally just cut in half) and planted in 2018. Bounced right back.

Hopefully, next year, I'll have more to show.

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Steveduggins, all of yours look really healthy and good. Sorry about Cupcake. Yes, maybe if the dogs had left it on the driveway......you need to teach them that! :-)

I am in love with LS Color Blue. I am already looking around to purchase it. I think I already have a good spot for it. Really like Banana Bay, talk about glowing—-wow! Is it in full shade?And last but not least, that Full Tide.....I think that would cover half of my front yard! That is a big one, and is it in a pot.......?

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    4 years ago

I am having trouble posting. I'll try again.

Wonderful Lakesides on this thread!

My mom cut my hair too, but not as well as cat's mom---mine's crooked and soooo short----what was she thinking!!!! LOL

This is what a small Lakeside Down Sized looks like

Lakeside Prophecy Fulfilled

Lakeside Paisley Print

• Tiddisolo Wales UK
    4 years ago

Lakeside Baby Face

Lakeside Banana Bay

Lakeside Breaking News

Dave

• Tiddisolo Wales UK
    4 years ago

Lakeside Cindy Cee

Lakeside Cupcake

Lakeside Doodad

Dave

• Tiddisolo Wales UK
    4 years ago

Lakeside Dragonfly

Lakeside Grandee

Lakeside Kaleidoscope

Dave

• Tiddisolo Wales UK
    4 years ago

Lakeside Fancy Pants

Lakeside Doodad

Dave

• Tiddisolo Wales UK
    4 years ago

Lakeside Miss Muffet

Lakeside Old Smokey

Dave

• Tiddisolo Wales UK
    4 years ago

Lakeside Paisley Print. Mine too struggles.

Lakeside Prophecy Fulfilled

Dave

• Tiddisolo Wales UK
    4 years ago

Lakeside Ripples

Lakeside Shore Master

Dave

• Tiddisolo Wales UK
    4 years ago

Lakeside Spellbinder

Lakeside Zinger

Dave

• beverlymnz4
    4 years ago

mbug, I love Lakeside Hoola Hoop. I have nonbuyers remorse. I saw it years ago but thought I would buy it later and now it is hard to come by.

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    4 years ago

Nonbuyers remorse, I know that feeling. Especially after seeing those L. Cindy Cees.

Honestly, L. Cup Cake looked ratty enough I didn't mind losing it.

(And that's when it looked good).

L. Old Smokey after being invaded by Maple tree roots.

and the year before

The leaves were less than 1/2 the size and even shorter than that.

The L. Full Tide is planted in a spin out bag under some maple trees.

4 years ago

newhostalady..so cute!..I can't believe our mothers couldn't cut our bangs better than this Lol..I think my mom wanted to make each trim last as long as possible..she didn't worry about how I looked at first..haha

4 years ago

I know about nonbuyer's remorse too. For me, I didn't take the opportunity to purchase Luna Moth, unfortunately.

Steve Duggins, I can empathize---I have experienced the dreaded maple tree roots too. The tree roots can be so aggressive.

You know what I figured out nicholsworth---I think it was the "style" in the 1950's to have short bangs. Look at a photo of these girls taken in the 50's.

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    4 years ago

Lakeside Surf Rider

Lakeside Symphony

Lakeside Breaking News

Lakeside Prophecy

4 years ago

newhostalady..I bet you're right..now that I think about it my mother and her sisters had very short bangs in their graduation pics..and unlike a little girl I would think they decided how to cut their own hair..

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    4 years ago

Lakeside Meadow Ice

Lakeside Full Tide

Lakeside AlexAndra

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Tiddisolo, holy smokes!! I counted 19—-are There more?? my favorites out of those 19 are , Banana Bay,Cupcake, Old Smokey, Shoremaster (amazing) and Spellbinder. Such an amazing collection!!

steveduggins, ah....Cupcake is such a cutie, maybe throw it on the driveway and replant it so it knows whose boss? Your Full Tide is amazing!

lindaliana, LS Prophecy.....the amount of rugosity in those leaves is so intenose. Breaking News has such nice color and ruffling. And that AlexAndra has a wonderful glowing color.

• Tiddisolo Wales UK
    4 years ago

djacobz, they are a bit of a collecting project.

As of today 43.

The alphabet always give me others to look for and there are lots of beauties here this year.

I'm hoping to add to that number but so few are available to me in the UK.

A fun project all the same.

Dave

• zkathy z7a NC
    4 years ago

I left out one of my favorite LS’s: Surf Runner. The first pic is this season, the second to show forms from 2018.

nhl and nw, being the oldest of three sisters I got the bang treatment , but also watched it being inflicted upon the younger ones. Mothers were told to put a piece of tape over the bangs and use it as a guide for cutting. I watched my mom cut above the tape. Below the tape was the right way to do it, but that didn’t occur to her and we have an Easter picture of us all in homemade dresses with home done haircuts that look just like that.

4 years ago

kathy, I have never heard of the tape method. I still cut my adult daughter's bangs. Maybe I should try it! LOL

• lindalana 5b Chicago
    4 years ago

Lakeside scamp, fuzzy pic, but am practicing uploading from my account. I still have to figure out finer details.

Adding up to prior conversation on Lakesides, I have many and my soil rus around pH of 7.0. Lakesides do well here thus I collect them and love them the most.

My next step is upload several pics to one post.

DJ, I highly recommend LS Prophecy to any garden. Yes it is green but shape and rugose texture are so attractive, it is easily one of favorites in the family. This one is next to Simply Sharon.

• StevePA6a
    4 years ago

zkathy, nice LS Surf Rider, it reminds me of 'Komodo Dragon'. Judging by the Library pics, though, it looks like LS SR is more dimpled at maturity, and possibly larger than KD.

lindalana, hopefully you will bless us with many Lakeside photos in next years alphabet, and show us what they should really look like.

4 years ago

zkathy..we had tape too!..I'm not sure if my mother couldn't tape straight..or if she couldn't cut straight..I'm also the oldest of 3 sisters..Surf Rider is a beauty..

newhostalady..unless your daughter's bangs look worse than the posted pics I wouldn't try the tape..Lol

• djacob Z6a SE WI
    4 years ago

Nice hostas Linda. The scamp is so cute. Prophecy is one I will add at some point

4 years ago

zkathy thanks for the words of advice on Lakesides.

Mae your LS Storm Watch is beautiful, I hope mine ends up looking like yours.

nicholsworth, so nice to see Bluebirds in January. They are long gone from our area.

mbug your LS Paisley Print is picture perfect. It looks like it is in it's happy spot

sandyslopes and Karin love the subtle streaking in your LS Elfin Fire.

Steve your LS Full Tide looks like it will be a beauty soon!

newhostalady, that is also how my bangs looked. My Mom would cut them and recut them and recut them in the end they were still crooked.

Love all the pictures of Lakeside Prophecy Fulfilled it has a little bit of everything.