SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peacehope68

What Color Cabinets with this Quartzite?

peacehope68
4 years ago

We are in love with this Alexandria Quartzite. I have long wanted a kitchen with white perimeter cabinets, green cabinets for the island and a green subway tile backsplash to tie it together. Would the green island cabinets and backsplash be too much green with this Quartzite? Should we consider a wood finish on the island or all white perimeter and island? Flooring will be a medium brown wood. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Comments (57)

• Nidnay
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Gorgeous, gorgeous slab. I wouldn’t hesitate at all...just take that baby home! You can do exactly as you stated (white perimeter, green island...and you can see how that comes together before making your backsplash decision). I don’t think it would be too much green.

It’s reading a bit aqua on my screen as well, but either way, put down a deposit!

Love that second kitchen with the basket pendants.

peacehope68 thanked Nidnay
  • peacehope68
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks everyone! I’m so glad to hear I’m heading in the right direction. I do believe that aqua might be a better choice than green, but I love aqua a well. @Beth, I will absolutely need help choosing a backsplash. I still need to get a sample and do the etching and glass test. They swore it was a super durable Quartzite, but I know from reading these forums to take that with a grain of salt. BTW, they are calling it Alexandrita. Spell check changed it in my original post.

• Related Discussions

What white cabinet paint color for Super White quartzite?

Q

Comments (1)
    White Dove and Super White quartz…and you want another white? I don’t think I would go in that direction because 3 whites are going to fight with each other. If the white dove is presenting with some yellow, it is the natural light doing that to it, as white dove tends to have gray undertones. So, I would paint the cabinets white dove with the gray/white quartzite. For color, put it on the wall. Something like Seattle Gray…just enough blue in it.
    ...See More

Cristallo quartzite, need help with cabinet color

Q

Comments (5)
    I don't think the slab is too modern (meaning it can go in many different style directions), but I understand about the grain. You will need them professionally painted in order to get rid of the grain. You could go white, light taupe/grey/griege, soft green, blue or navy or even charcoal/ black. Depends on the overall look you are going for. Look through some photos to get a better idea of the look and feel you want for the kitchen when finished. Good luck!
    ...See More

Cabinet color for Taj Mahal Quartzite Kraftmaid Dove or Warm white?

Q

Comments (58)
    Laurie, Here is a picture of the bathroom with translucent driftwood and Taj. I can't find one right now of the island and we're actually not home. If you want one of the island, I'm more than happy to do that when we get back in a couple of days. Are you looking at Kraftmaid cabinets? I will tell you, we've had ALL kinds of issues! If I were to do this again, which we never will, I would NOT get KM! Especially from the box store we went through. UGH The finished project looks nice, but ........................................ Also, this piece of Taj in the bath is a different slab than the kitchen. It doesn't have as much gray as the kitchen. The kitchen is a nice blend of cool AND warm colors. Bobbi
    ...See More

Need ideas for cabinet color with our quartzite!

Q

Comments (7)
    Yes, still have to pick floor! I was always set on greige cabinets for surrounds (this countertop is also the backsplash and we have no uppers) and a very dark island. Like a BM soot or soft black with blue undertones. The stone seems to work well with the dark color but the greiges all seem to wash out the stone. I was hoping to find some sort of nice off white because I’m worried about white cabinets going out of style
    ...See More
  • traci_from_seattle
    4 years ago

That is a gorgeous slab! Definitely go with green/aqua cabinets, it won’t be too much. Can’t wait to see the finished kitchen!

• cpartist
    4 years ago

Absolutely stunning stone.

I love it! how nice to do something diff. what a stunning piece of stone. however, I don't think it's a true quartzite. (I'm going with marble) If it stains or etches, then it's more of a marble. (true quartzite will not have any calcite or marble, deposits in it)

I do believe it is a true quartzite.

I had debated with my stone with doing exactly what you're doing with the green island but in the end did my island in dark stained quarter sawn oak. For me it was the right decision because it picks up the same wood and stain on my fireplace wall which is visible from the kitchen.

I did however do a green backsplash color and love it with my Fascination Quartzite which is also mostly greens. Here's alink to my kitchen. Absolutely go for it as that quartzite will be the star of the show and I love the idea of picking up the green/aqua.

peacehope68 thanked cpartist
  • Gcubed
    4 years ago

Beautiful stone! Can’t wait to see what you decide

• One Devoted Dame
    4 years ago

I will never tire of seeing CP's kitchen. Never. <3

OP, that stone is so gorgeous. Have you snagged it yet??? lol

• peacehope68
    Original Author
    4 years ago

No, I haven’t snagged it yet. Waiting for quote to come back. (gulp). They did have about 6 slabs of it. I’m not sure if this is the norm, but the stone yard said they won’t give us pricing, so they have sent our choice to the fabricator and the fabricator will give us the final price?

• peacehope68
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Cpartist, thanks for the link. Absolutely love your kitchen, and had trouble finding it earlier. We actually looked at Fascination today too, but it wasn’t as pretty as yours. I thought of you and wanted to show my husband, your kitchen.

• One Devoted Dame
    4 years ago

[...] but the stone yard said they won’t give us pricing, so they have sent our choice to the fabricator and the fabricator will give us the final price?

Huh. I didn't know that prices weren't attached to slabs. Dang. I'd have to pick out like 5 different slabs and get quotes for all 5, lol.

How strange!

(Says she who has never built a custom house before, lol.)

• chispa
    4 years ago

peacehope, the whole stone yard pricing thing is very regional. In some states buyers pay the slab yard directly and then hire a fabricator to go pick it up. In other states the slab yards are "wholesalers" and will only sell to the fabricator, but you get to pick them out.

I'm in CA and bought my slabs directly and was given pricing on the spot.

If you give your general area, people will be able to tell you if that is the norm for your area.

• peacehope68
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’m in the Orlando, Florida area. They were nice, but flat out told me they only give pricing to the fabricators.

• cpartist
    4 years ago

No, I haven’t snagged it yet. Waiting for quote to come back. (gulp).

When my quote came back for the slab (My builder bought the slab and had it shipped to the fabricator.) I gulped quite a few times. However I took that price and divided it up over the number of years I expected to live here and it made it feel a bit more palatable. Additionally, I then found some "bargains" on other things that weren't as important to me. Things like the knobs and pulls, and even my backsplash tile.

Know that every single time I walk into my kitchen, my counters still make me smile and I still love finding new patterns within the stone.

They did have about 6 slabs of it. I’m not sure if this is the norm, but the stone yard said they won’t give us pricing, so they have sent our choice to the fabricator and the fabricator will give us the final price?

Did they at least hold it for you until pricing came in?

Cpartist, thanks for the link. Absolutely love your kitchen, and had trouble finding it earlier. We actually looked at Fascination today too, but it wasn’t as pretty as yours.

Thank you. Your Alexandrita is just as gorgeous!

I thought of you and wanted to show my husband, your kitchen.

Yes I wanted to show you mine just because the choice of colors is similar.

peacehope68 thanked cpartist
  • Kristin S
    4 years ago

I live in another market where pricing is only available through fabricators. (As a side note, it's an incredibly frustrating way to shop!) You can put slabs on hold while you're waiting to hear back, though, and both the fabricator and warehouse encouraged us to do that. If you love it, make sure you have a hold on the number of slabs your fabricator recommends while awaiting pricing.

• traci_from_seattle
    4 years ago

The stone yard wouldn’t give me pricing either but they did have the slabs labeled by grade (A,B,C,D,E). My Fusion was a D+ so I knew it was going to be expensive but it is my favorite part of my kitchen and worth the splurge. It’s green and bold like yours.

peacehope68 thanked traci_from_seattle
  • strategery
    4 years ago

Gorgeous slab and photos! Following.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

The pinkish tones in the stone are one reason to stick with a greyed green rather than the blue-greens or aqua.

• katinparadise
    4 years ago

Beautiful slab. I had the same experience-I actually went to a dealer/fabricator but didn't see the slab I wanted. I bought it through another stone yard who quoted the price to my fabricator and they gave it to me. Be sure your fabricator lets you see the layout marked out on the slab before they cut anything. Mine made me sign off on it before they cut it.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 years ago

I hope it is a true quartzite. there is another person on here who often chimes in on countertops. She's very knowledgeable w/geology and works in the industry. She's schooled me on other posts when it came to quartzite and calcite! ( I thought quartzite could have both properties. they can't)

As for price, I'm going to guess in the 4-6k range! and then another 2-4K for fabricating. Totally worth it though. can't wait to see your kitchen.

• Mom
    4 years ago

Beautiful slab! I had my heart set on Fascination quartzite but was unable to obtain it in my area. (I was able to get Fusion for my island and I used leathered Virginia Mist granite for my perimeters and it all worked out in the end.) Hope all works out for you as well! It would be stunning!

• One Devoted Dame
    4 years ago

RE: The Pink

I know everyone goes, "Oh, no," with pink, but I dunno... for that slab... I'd embrace it. :-)

Pink, like (almost) any other color, can be very beautifully done. If you like the stone, then move with it, not against it. Don't try to hide it! :-D

• D Walker
    4 years ago

What an absolutely stunning slab! Interesting that they wouldn’t sell direct to you. When we found an absolutely gorgeous leathered green fusion quartzite the stone store would have quite happily let us pay full price for it. Fortunately we didn’t buy it until talking to our KD who told us we could get it cheaper if we went through the fabricator.

Can’t wait to see a pic of yours finished, I love green too :-)

• Alice Edwards
    4 years ago

Following, sea stone my pic, yes most pretty stone i have ever seen, cannot wait to see completed project, beautiful...

• Alice Edwards
    4 years ago

Sorry, my mistype, sea star

• PRO
    Kitchen Tune-up Zeeland, Sales & Design
    4 years ago

yes! yes! yes! your inspiration photos are perfect for that slab. so pretty. I too love green and choose SW Alexandrite green for some of my cabinets. (too deep of color for your stone)... however, my white is SW Downy and it does have a slight pink undertone that might work for you though.

peacehope68 thanked Kitchen Tune-up Zeeland, Sales & Design
  • Annie Marceau
    4 years ago

I am not sure I would go with pink or green. The counter top is amazing and I would prefer something that brings it to life, not something that competes with it. Seems to me that prink or green would just be too much of green or pink. I would go with a medium/dark grey with green undertone - something similar to "Illusive Green" (a couple of post above) or event darker and/or a an almond-type colour, if you want a lighter kitchen

• RES, architect
    4 years ago

I agree. Gray rather than green.

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

Do you have a lot of light in your kitchen? The greens may get dark. What about a taupe-y or putty color (background color in stone)? Then maybe a Grey-green for the island only.
    And perhaps backsplash could be one of the lighter colors in your slab with a crackle or interest in either subway or different shape but still allowing counter to be the star.

• krottmann
    4 years ago

• ljptwt7
    4 years ago

Love it and green or aqua or blue cabinets whatever you finally decide looks best.... will look gorgeous. Looking forward to seeing finished kitchen.

• Bri H
    4 years ago

I think pink and green are beautiful colors together and that is lovely piece of stone. If you can afford it and want to see even more of that stone, you may want to price full back splash in the stone also, not sure how much square footage that would be in your kitchen. Or maybe back splash above your range? Just some thoughts.

• Kr
    4 years ago

I’m not sure of all that color. The stone is beautiful but busy, between pink, green, white/cream, then to put green cabinets and paint....it is a lot. The white cabinets would look great with stone, really showcase it, and deep green island with creamy walls.
    Done- beautiful and you won’t get tired of it.

• Keepthefaith MIGirl
    4 years ago

following.....love kitchens that are unique and don't follow trends......can't wait to see more!

• stagesetter
    4 years ago

With this stone selection I would suggest that you paint your cabinets illusive green (it has a gray tint). For the backsplash consider a muted color brick (even faux - as long as it’s durable). Do your island in a stained wood that compliments your wood flooring. Keep walls & trim cream.

• Melissa Bassett
    4 years ago

All very interesting comments. We used Fantasy brown granite/marble on our slab. To tone down, we put in off white cabinets and the new wood look alike for the island. That way all the beauty of the granite shows through

• st5330
    4 years ago

i would try to find a blue/green the exact shade thats in that stone- which is stunning!

peacehope68 thanked st5330
  • PRO
    Designs with Panache by Chara J. Johnson
    4 years ago

Alexandria is a beautiful countertop. Due to the visual texture and array of colour I would definitely take several samples of paint colour, cabinet finishes, etc to compare with the slab next time your shopping. Pulling together your samples can be a fun activity and a useful one if your going at this alone. This small investment in time will also save you a headache, money and buyers remorse later. A kitchen remodel is a big investment so be sure your confident in all your choices. Also regardless of the area you might run into slab yards that supply on to the trade therefore they will not give you directly the price. Some slab yards will sell directly to the public as well. What's more, be sure you have a design layout that your fabricator can estimated how many slabs you will need so you can pick out the best two/three pieces together. Unlike colour consistant quartz, quartzite is natural and can very tremendously. Guide yourself like the picture, pulling together the colors & samples add, edit, delete. Have fun!

peacehope68 thanked Designs with Panache by Chara J. Johnson
  • peacehope68
    Original Author
    4 years ago

OP here. Thank you for all of the suggestions. Got the quote back yesterday. Now that the sticker shock has worn off a bit, I think we may be able to fit the island in the budget with the Alexandrita, but probably can’t put it on the perimeters. Is there any way I can still have green island cabinets and white perimeter cabinets if I have two different countertops? I know 4 finishes is usually considered too much. Is there maybe a quiet, solid color of quartz that might work on the perimeters?

• calidesign
    4 years ago

Yes, I think you can use a solid quartz for the perimeter countertops, if you use either white to match your cabinets, or a light taupe color from the main color of the quartzite island.

• peacehope68
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks @calidesign, I hope I can make it work!

• calidesign
    4 years ago

It's going to be beautiful!

• Marguerite Mastromatto
    3 years ago

@peacehope68 Did you finish your kitchen? I would love to see the countertop.

• peacehope68
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Marguerite Mastromatto, Not yet. Our construction was delayed a bit, so we just broke ground on our new home. I’m still hoping to use it though.

• Lindsay Schmitz
    2 years ago

@peacehope68 we are doing a complete reno on a 100+ year old farmhouse and are using the Alexandria Quartzite. (Yes, to the sticker shock but I knew it was coming). Right now, I am also debating if we should use on just our island with waterfall edges or also perimeter? I as first going to use Quartz Statuary Massa on perimeter to keep island as showpiece and keep costs down, but then was thinking I love the Alexandria so much - should we do all countertops same? To add to decisions, I found a quetiapine white quartzite (name is escaping me) that we put on hold because I felt more compelled to keep natural stone with the Alexandria. TheWhite quartzite also pulls that same look in the Alexandria with also same creamy, darker areas and the whites.
    We are also debating on a light wood for cabinets or white, or mix.

Would love to see your finished project and any suggestions from anyone on coordinating potentially two countertops and possibly two different (white / light wood) cabinet options.

• Lindsay Schmitz
    2 years ago

I should also mention, I’m considering adding Alexandria as backsplash in whole or in part too. I’m loving the custom designs I am seeing with the matching stone backslashes. Want to keep things clean and beautiful looking, not overdone but still have the showpiece quartzite to elevate everything.

Would also like to add that hopes for the future on the large acreage with impressive outbuildings is to have a flower / herb farm open to public - the Alexandria green speaks to to this.

• Lindsay Schmitz
    2 years ago

Here is a picture of a couple of my slabs. They are all from the same pull, the lighting on the photos was just different and hard to pull true colors. I would say much less rose / pink and more emerald than any of the other pieces I have seen others posting.

• Cindy Tran
    2 years ago

It's a beautiful slab. I had mine done in cream glazed pinstripes, using the whole slab as backsplash. It's make me happy every time I walk into my kitchen

• Christy Bredahl
    last year

@peacehope68 did your project get completed and did you stay with Alexandrite?

• stark52
    last year
    last modified: last year

Beautiful stone - if you are still in Houzz it would be awesome to see pics of what you did!

• peacehope68
    Original Author
    last year

No, we ended up going with sea pearl quartzite instead. There was just too much pink in the slabs to make it work with the flooring and other selections we really wanted to stick with in the house.