SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyartoo

Do you fit your Myers-Briggs personality type?

Funkyart
4 years ago

Do you KNOW your Myers-Briggs personality type? (If not, you can take the short assessment here for free.. no registration required).

I am working on a lunch & learn session using my team's type indicators. We've been working like crazy and I thought it would be fun to do something different-- we're closing up a 2-yr phase of development and preparing to start the next phase. It seemed like a good time to look our team and our preferred modes of working and communicating.. and talk about what we can change to work more efficiently, collaborate better, reduce stress and improve the work environment.

As an INTP, I am admittedly an outlier.. in fact, there are no members of my team who are even close to my personality type. As I pull the session together, I am recognizing that MY modes of thinking, communicating and problem solving are at odds with those of my team. Yikes! My right-hand man (an ISFJ) is almost the complete opposite! I suppose that is part of what makes us work well together-- we balance (or compensate for?) one another. It is really an interesting and eye opening exercise.

What is your type? Do you feel it represents you well? Is your work/lifestyle suited to your personality type?

I'll share more about mine a little later-- but I am curious to hear from you all.

Comments (62)

• Oakley
    4 years ago

ISFP-T Adventurer. It was half wrong, half right. Maybe I should take it again?

• Sueb20
    4 years ago

LOL Bunny and Mtn.

• Related Discussions

What type of kitchen do you want, in your new home?

Q

Comments (12)
    Our first home had a small opening between the kitchen and family room. There was also enough room in the kitchen for a small table to seat 2. The pros of this arrangment is that the mess in the kitchen was not visible and the noise was somewhat contained. The con was that during parties/gatherings-everyone ended up in the kitchen no matter how much we tried to get them out to hang out in the family room or dining room. The dining room was never used except as a dumping room. The house we rented while building had completely separate rooms. There was not even an eat in space in the kitchen. I hated this arrangment. Everything felt too choppy. It didn't work for a family with a young child. Our new home has one really big room. The cons have been mentioned- the kitchen mess is visible by all. But it has forced me ot be neater. And if designed properply, there are way to contain the mess. Also noise is sometimes a problem if one person is cooking and someone else is trying to watch tv. We almost never watch tv during the day so it's not a frequent problem. Having the dining room between the kitchen and family room creates somewhat of a buffer. The pros-it suites our lifestyle. We are prefer casual living and entertaining. All of our family live out of town and we have lots of people staying with us frequently. It's nice ot able to be together but have space to spread out. Plus I'm a women, but I love th NFL so it's awesome on Sundays.
    ...See More

Do you have a personal list for New Recipes to Try in 2011?

Q

Comments (19)
    Like others, I have a stack that high (and growing) of "to try" recipes. I currently have a stack of about five or six sitting by my grocery list. I intend to make all of those over the next few weeks, then replenish the pile. I keep the ones that turn out good in a binder in sheet protector sleeves to make again and I throw away the ones I didn't like, simoultaneously deleting them from my computer. The only one I can remember off the top of my head from that short stack is a chedder cheese studded meatloaf which sounds quite good. Oh! and a Greek dish where you cook the tomatoes and onions and garlic and spices, then add 5 cups of broth and then the pasta. The pasta and sauce all cook together. I can't remember what it's called but I'm looking forward to trying that. I also do want to make spanikopita, watching Sue's video made it look fairly simple. But I have to make sure there will be lots of people around who will want to eat it (think party) so that I don't gobble up the whole thing myself!
    ...See More

marble counters right for you? depends on your personality type

Q

Comments (12)
    Well I don't have soapstone in a kitchen yet. I do have it in my master bathroom with zero damage in about 8 months of use so far. I have had butcher block before and used it to cut on. I was totally fine with the patina from cutting. But the food coloring I spilled while making cookies and couldn't sand out (too deep) bothered me somewhat. My research is that soapstone doesn't stain or etch. It can chip or scratch. Scratches can be oiled or, if deep, sanded out. Given that I was fine with butcher block (and am fine with a wide variety of antiques and vintage furniture pieces with patina of varying kinds), I feel confident that I will be fine with the scratches and any chips on soapstone.
    ...See More

Does cottage living attract a certain person, or do you change?

Q

Comments (42)
    Welcome, Sabrinaflorida Dave in Idaho, Jannie, Patty Cakes. So good to see so many folks coming in. I have been slightly MIA because of my job. Going to be a busy week. Dave which end of Idaho are you? Hope you get to see the northern lights tonight. Supposed to be a good show the further north you are. We are only about mid Idaho so might not get to see them. My husband has thrown a wrench in the shelf project for a bit. He informed me we will be getting a pellet stove or Monitor stove or some other form of back up heat soon.He has not decided which. It will have to go in the living room which means something has to give. And it might have to give towards my studio. WWWWAAAAHHHHH Why not into his garage??? Heheheh Wish the gun cabinet which is a monster would go away. Would make a perfect china cabinet but I already have two of them and do not have a space for it in the dinning room. So it might become the shelving in my studio. NOT my idea of a good idea so you all keep good thoughts some one will buy it. Dang as I had that shelf system all worked out even some down on paper and it would be so perfect in my room. Not giving up on the idea yet. Just depends on which stove he decides on. Chris
    ...See More
  • bbstx
    4 years ago

I can’t get on the site, but the last time I took the test I was ISTJ. That test gave no modifier. Reading the list of qualities mtn posted, I’d say it pretty much describes me.

• Bunny
    4 years ago

🤡

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

INTP - Logician are solitary, eccentric, and independent

Strengths (all true)

• Great analysts and abstract thinkers
    • imaginative and original
    • open-minded
    • Enthusiastic – When a new idea piques their interest
    • Objective - theoretical mediator
    • Honest and Straightforward (some would say to a fault)

Weaknesses (also all true)

• Very Private and Withdrawn
    • Absent-Minded
    • Condesending
    • Loathes rules and guidelines
    • Second guesses themselves

Also

• They love patterns, and spotting discrepancies between statements could almost be described as a hobby, making it a bad idea to lie to a Logician.
    • When Logicians are particularly excited, the conversation can border on incoherence as they try to explain the daisy-chain of logical conclusions that led to the formation of their latest idea.
    • Logicians remain so open to new information that they often never commit to a decision at all. This applies to their own skills as well – Logician personalities know that as they practice, they improve, and any work they do is second-best to what they could do. Unable to settle for this, Logicians sometimes delay their output indefinitely with constant revisions, sometimes even quitting before they ever begin.

Much of the above describes me well.. but this last bullet is "me" to a T! It's not second guessing in an, "oh I am not sure about this" way... no, it's a drive towards always improving or making myself and everything around me better. I struggle with the concept of "good enough".. or "everything's good".. or, "it's fine.. leave it".

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I didn't add that I am a very solid A.. only one of my employees is a T (and she is the youngest).

• Moxie
    4 years ago

INFJ most of the time. I often said that it felt like I landed on the wrong planet. Turns out that INFJs often feel like we don't fit. We are a small percent of the population.

Sometimes when I've taken M-B, I'm INFP. I'm strong in each characteristic, especially the "I" and the "J" or "P." When I'm feeling extremely detailed-oriented and want closure, which is most of the time, I'm a "J." Periodically, I swing the other way in the extreme. I want all options and no details. That's when the "P" surfaces.

I think M-B type descriptions fit best when one tends strongly to one of the letter pairs in each category. The closer to the middle on one or more pairs, the less the descriptions seem to fit.

• gsciencechick
    4 years ago

ENFJ-A The Protaganist, no surprise. I regularly have come up with ENFJ over the years. Interesting DH is INFJ.

• l pinkmountain
    4 years ago

I can't remember mine exactly, ENsomething J or P. I know I'm on the cusp between J and P. I think maybe ENFJ or ENFP. However, I have also read the critiques of personality typing. Just because you have a natural affinity for this or that, does not mean you can't operate on the flip side, or that your inclinations control your destiny or that you can't adjust or that you have a right to certain things based on your personality. As an extrovert, I hate the way those two personality traits are so misunderstood. Like just because I get energized by people does not mean I don't get drained by them as well, or that I naturally want to be the center of attention or have unlimited tolerance for crowds or something like that. The values we project over this stuff is not good, IMHO. Similar to the idea that blue is somehow a masculine color and pink feminine. Blue and pink are qualities, yes, colors, but what they mean often entails a lot of human projection. It helps to understand yourself and other people, but I wouldn't be controlled or limited by Myers Briggs stuff. Humans are extremely adaptable.

• msmeow
    4 years ago

I just took this assessment and came up ISFJ- T. 100% introverted LOL.

Donna

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

Moxie, your post reflects me, too. I took MB early in my career, and I was a solid INFJ. It was the first time I had done this sort of examination and it explained a lot about myself that I had never understood before. Taking it again, my results were INFP-T. But the INF are deeply entrenched.

• blfenton
    4 years ago

ISFJ - A Defender

Yep, pretty accurate. I am a strong introvert but am naturally social (which is true) which is apparently at odds and not that common.

• Bunny
    4 years ago

blfenton: Please join Sueb and me! Because I've always been naturally social and not shy, I was shocked when I scored as an introvert. But then I realized it's more where you gain (or lose) energy. Social settings do not charge my batteries, but deplete them. At some point I will hit the wall, and it's a very tangible realization.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I think it is single-sighted and potentially dangerous to look at personality indicators as anything more than a preference.. or a natural inclination. That said, I think it's also helpful to understand yourself and your preferences .. it helps to know what is causing you stress or what makes you happy or energized.

I am approaching here.. and for my team.. as a fun way to get to know a little more about each other. But ... for me, it's been invaluable to recognize what I need to feed my soul.. and more importantly, to remember what behaviors, reactions and natural inclinations I need to temper to better work with others... when I'd much prefer to do it all myself.

How often do we say, "if only everyone would think the way I do!" … but thank god they do not! The world is what it is because we all have different ways of thinking, different ways of doing things!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Bunny wrote: "I was shocked when I scored as an introvert. But then I realized it's more where you gain (or lose) energy. Social settings do not charge my batteries, but deplete them. "

Same. I am not the least bit shy-- I interact with people all day long. I don't shy away from meetings, discussions or even the spotlight... it just takes a lot of my energy. I compensate by working in early mornings and later evening hours in silence. Still, it takes me 1-2 days in more or less silence to recover from a work week!

I vs E also reflects where you get your motivation and drive-- is it from within or from encouragement, support and guidance from others?

• just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

I’m only 3% of the population.

I feel so

alone lol

• DLM2000-GW
    4 years ago

Oakley you and I came out the same!

Different results than I've ever had before. Maybe my mood? Usually I'm INF

Personality type: “The Adventurer” (ISFP-T)
    Individual traits: Introverted – 81%, Observant – 55%, Feeling – 71%, Prospecting – 65%, Turbulent – 68%
    Role: Explorer
    Strategy: Constant Improvement

• OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

I took the MB a long time ago when I was actively working and was ESTP, but borderline ESTJ. Now I am an ESFJ-A, Consul. It fits. I think the most interesting thing was the change from a Thinker to a solid Feeling personality type. Maybe has to do with retirement and a shift in lifestyle I don’t know.

Like Bunny, I feel sometimes more an I than an E. Sue and Bunny, can we drink wine together when we feel like withdrawing to that quiet place?

Consul Strengths (all true):

• Strong practical sense
    • Strong sense of duty
    • Very loyal
    • Sensitive and warm
    • Good at connecting with others

Weaknesses (not all exactly true):

• Worried about their social status (pfffft)
    • inflexible (not always certainly)
    • Reluctant to innovate or improvise (nope, I am an engineer and we did this in my job all the time)
    • Vulnerable to criticism (in their definition as being conflict averse and defensive, yes)
    • Often too needy (?)
    • Too selfless

• jojoco
    4 years ago

ENFP-A.

Yes, I prefer a small gathering, but will start up a conversation with an interesting stranger. I’m a good shoulder for those in emotional crisis, but I love public speaking

I think I broke the algorithm, lol.

But it did say my personality is a campaigner. That’s probably true.

• Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    4 years ago

ENFJ-A, hello gsciencechick. This fits pretty well.

• just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

I just read that with my personality type the best people for me to be friends with or marry are INFP or INFJ or an analyst type. I bet my husband is one of those. He is very kind, smart and patient. One of the few men who can handle alpha me with confidence.

• Bunny
    4 years ago

Outside, yes, please join us. A glass of wine or two, and then we'll take the test again and see what we get. ;-)

• blfenton
    4 years ago

I want wine too/two please. So if a bunch of I's get together for a glass of wine what happens? This could be fun.😁

• Bunny
    4 years ago

blfenton, that's when our inner E bursts forth. 🙀

• Oakley
    4 years ago

DLM, no wonder I agree with you a lot! Since you're also observant like I am, are you also a curious person? When the kids were growing up we played Clue, and I was the house champ. And my family absolutely hates watching mysteries with me because I solve it the first half hour of the movie.

I'm an introvert unless I know people well, and I have a habit of one liner zingers when I'm angry. lol

But I am not an adventurer. Not sure where that came from.

• nini804
    4 years ago

I am the same as Gssciencechick and Zalco! ENFJ-A but also ENFJ-T apparently! The Protagonist! I need to really study the results bc to me, I feel like parts of it describe how I view myself, and parts don’t. I definitely don’t believe I am anything like the famous ENFJ Protagonists...Oprah (!) and Obama (!) I wish!!! 😊

• Sueb20
    4 years ago

I’m definitely more E after a glass of wine!

I love a party, but I equally love to come home and immediately put on my jammies and read.

• jill302
    4 years ago

INFJ - A, took the test to see what I would be today. I go back and forth between an INFJ and INFP. The A is new to me.

While I think that the test is fairly accurate for me, there are some things off a bit. Unless I know quite a few people at a big party I would rather skip it but I really enjoy small group events or going out with a couple of friends. If I spend too much time at home I get antsy, need balance.

• arcy_gw
    4 years ago

ITSJ-A here. I have taken this a few times as we give it to our students every few years. I never really trust these things. My mood my ability to assess/judge my behavior any given day tends to sway the results a tish here and there. In the ends its ONE tool giving ONE view.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    4 years ago

Yes, I've been into this since the eighties and Please Understand Me came out. Infj and true to type. Many misidentify as infj as there are similarities to other more common types, isfj and the rare intj. And people want to be the unique rare bird!

The infj is the rarest at 1% but they do congregate so it's not unusual to see several here.

• Lars
    4 years ago

ENTP (The test I took did not have a modifier), which is described as Inventor, and this description does fit me very well. The complementary type ISFJ (accountant) is also the opposite of my personality, which is why I should hire an accountant when necessary.

• Jilly
    4 years ago

jojoco, hello, soul sister! ENFP-A here, too (but they also added a T/Turbulent to mine).

It‘s spot-on. I didn’t disagree with any of the descriptions at all, especially the career and relationships categories. Eerie how exact they are.

• Lars
    4 years ago

I took this test to see if I am A or T, and I got the results ENTP-A, which they describe here as a debater. I think I might be more of a T than an A, but either way, I think I am on the fence on this part of it. I did take the test more than once, and one time it gave me ENFP-T, which really did not describe me.

• ladypat1
    4 years ago

I was an ISFP-T and it seemed too to me that it was half right and half wrong. Adventurer sounds all wrong to sum it up as that.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    4 years ago

ITSJ-A here. I have taken this a few times as we give it to our students every few years. I never really trust these things. My mood my ability to assess/judge my behavior any given day tends to sway the results a tish here and there. In the ends its ONE tool giving ONE view

This is supposed be the most common, but you are the only other one I see here! I agree with you re above, and in fact I was thinking I should ask my DH to fill it in for me to remove bias (but maybe it is calibrated for bias?) I was also aware of trying to be internally consistent with my answers. Lastly, would you agree that your answers would be different today vs when you were younger? For me it would be; does that invalidate it somewhat?

• User
    4 years ago

INFP-A, the Mediator, open-minded, idealistic, flexible, creative, hard-working, conflict avoidant, impractical, takes things personally, dislikes dealing with data (true, I can and do, but it bores the stuffing out of me), difficult to get to know, yep, that’s me. Years ago I came out an ENTJ, I took this twice and got the same result, not sure what changed; me, the assessment or both.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I am no expert, but I understand that it is not uncommon for one of the indicators to shift as you get older. For me, the only thing that changed since my late teens was the I/E indicator. I went from on the cusp (but still I) to very solidly I. How I operate in the world has changed (to better fit in-- again, my personality type is a bit of an outlier to all things that make the world turn smoothly LOL) but my natural inclinations and preferred way of living/working has not changed!

These free online tests are scaled back a bit from the full on questionnaire-- but the tests are designed to ask the same question from different directions and with subtle variances. It's my guess (I never looked into the typing algorithms), that how you answer the related questions teases out the nuances that separate the preferences of each indicator.

The test does instruct you to "be true to yourself".. since a lot of us aren't as clear about ourselves in our youth, I imagine that could be a factor. It doesn't/didn't really come into play for me but I think some of us are more susceptible to wanting to be the image of someone/something else when we're in our 20s/30s. It seems possible that this could account for changes over time.

I'd be interested to see how it plays out having someone else take the test for you-- no matter how much someone knows and understands you, I think they still see you through their eyes. Does that shift the results? I'd be interested to see!

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I haven't been thanking or liking responses-- but I want to thank everyone for playing along. It's been fun to learn a little more about each of you-- fun too to see the camaraderie between those who share the same type indicators!

• l pinkmountain
    4 years ago

That introvert/extrovert things is one of the worst ways to pigeonhole someone using Myers Briggs, IMHO. Introverts and extroverts are both capable of liking people, socializing, going to parties, being the center of attention. The psychology of extrovert vs introvert is different than the common usage of those words. For example, my husband is an introvert, and I am an extrovert. We both enjoy socializing. But I will "work the room" and come away with names, faces, connections about a whole lot of people at the party, while hubs will happily talk the ear off of one or two people at the party.

I don't necessarily "enjoy" small talk but I can do it, and have developed skills at it over the years since networking is not only a natural skill for me, but one important for everyone these days who is trying to advance professionally. So while you might not like it, if you recognize the value of it, you can learn to do it, in your own way, even if you are an introvert. I have a large circle of close friends, hubs has almost no friends, since his transient work and unhappy home life offered him few opportunities to make the one or two intimate friends he might have developed. Even after a decade together, hubs does not consider my friends to be his friends. They don't meet his standards of intimacy and validation that he needs as an introvert. Luckily I made the cut, lol! Anyway, I think life situations can either reinforce our stereotypical behaviors, or once we know it, provide us avenues of branching out.

So for example, if I want and need to network, and recognize the value of it, and yet realize I am an introvert, I can develop ways of networking introvert-style, which may include doing it online or though writing or joining a hobby oriented groups where people go in depth on one subject, or just blocking out time to do it and then rewarding myself with a treat that I enjoy as an introvert, etc.

But too often, people stereotype or limit themselves by this personality trait stuff. "I can't do this or that because I'm an . . . fill in the blank." Or, "You must enjoy public speaking because you're an extrovert . . . " (Boy do I hate that one!) or worse, develop negative attitudes about people with different personality styles, "Extroverts crave attention or hog the conversation with mindless chit chat all the time" for example. Or "introverts are uncaring and self-involved" for another stereotype.

I've done quite a bit of work and research on this, and I'm also a great believer in the "Strengths" testing work by Gallup/Clifton. (The idea being it is easier to plus your pluses than overcome your weaknesses). Having the strengths of putting ideas into action, and being a learning freak along with a person who likes to "arrange" things for optimization, I tend to be big on self improvement . . . but not everyone is so inclined I realize . . . My husband on the other hand, hates planning and big picture stuff, but loves to work out the details of implementing my ideas . . . When we are not at each other's throats, we make a great team. (Please don't take this literally, I'm joking!) Also, my husband rejects almost any idea that there could be a generalization made about anything, so would never even be able to consider that he might have strengths or a personality type. He would spend all his time and energy trying to refute whatever category anyone would try to put him in, regardless of logic or evidence. Hence, there are large areas of possible insight closed off to him. On the downside. On the flip side, he can develop great in depth knowledge of the one or two topics he deems worthy of his attention. Pros and cons either way.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Knowing your type can also help you identify the situations and things that stress you-- of course major stressors are generally clear, but I think the minor to medium level stressors aren't always as clear... and they are the ones that can eat away at you. I know when I start getting snarky and grumpy that something needs to change quickly. Most often, I need to break away and get time to myself.. or I need to change an approach to a problem. These are based on MY personality type preferences.

This page will identify some of the potential stressors for YOUR personality type. I've shared mine below. Of course, like all things related to "preferences", these aren't black and white! I think most are on target for me-- however, I would change the degree (indicated by font size) on a few. For instance, it's taken me 56 yr to learn that I really can't work well with strict guidelines-- I can follow them but creatively/intellectually, I am stunted (and sometimes paralyzed) by guidelines.. don't tell me how to setup a spreadsheet or conduct an analysis. Tell me what you want to know as a result! And there's nothing I hate more than being misunderstood or having to repeat (what I think is so very clear and logical) multiple times. This is a major stressor and one of my biggest flaws. I am too quick to give up when someone doesn't understand or follow.

What about you? Does your personality type reflect your major stressors and triggers?

• Jilly
    4 years ago

My takeaway from these sort of tests (besides having fun taking them) is looking at areas I might need to work on, in a positive way. Seeing if I agree with the strong and weak parts, and looking a little closer at some possible uncomfortable truths about how I deal with things in general. I don’t take every word as gospel, but it does motivate me in some respects.

• l pinkmountain
    4 years ago

That's my husband to a "T" Funky! Jokingly, I would say you two should be married and not us! On the one hand, but on the other hand, if you hook up with only folks who share your personality traits, is there not a danger that important areas of your life will be left out? I think that's debatable. When I was teaching the Myers Briggs stuff to working group teams, the consensus seemed to be that you should stick with your type, and that other types were annoying. It saddened me to hear that most people didn't want to be in a group or learn from someone very different than themselves. I also saw groups devolve often into arguing and retreating to separate corners, rather than adapting to each other's styles and working together. I was working with the top notch students grade wise, but many lacked people skills. Hard to learn such things if it is not your natural proclivity. Students from some of the tougher situations were often more adaptable, they had to figure it out in order to function and survive in often "messy" home life situations. Like working two jobs or moving a lot as kids, or coping with an abusive parent. Some didn't figure it out, but the ones who did were quite inspiring.

• just_terrilynn
    4 years ago

The case of the test is wrong!

Can anyone remember the name of the personality type test (very very long) that involved a portion on what you would take to survive being stranded on an island? It was designed in part to see who had leadership potential ( was not the 2 island test). I think the results were determined partially by being able to sway people to your way of thinking.

Any way, funny true story. A million years ago when I was young I started working for a corporation that I loved. The management was exceptional.

Over time it went way down hill. Management was fornicating with staff, management was fornicating with corporate inspectors and smoking whacky weed with staff. This became the norm. Horrible.

Without doing any checks on what past personality trait tests were given, they gave the above test again and again. Occasionally they would skip a year.

One year we were told there was a meeting. I had a lunch date scheduled for after. Imagine my disappointment in finding we had to do that long stupid test again. I would miss my lunch date. So, in all areas of our group discussion part of the test I convinced everyone to agree with everything a true imbecile in our group had to say. I told them if they didn’t we would all be sitting there for hours and hours. The imbecile thought I was singling him out for his greatness.

In the end I made my lunch date. A few days later the imbecile was made assistant manager. A more unsuitable person couldn’t have been had if you looked to the end of earth. A short time after that, I left. Right after that, the place was sold. The sale had been in the cards for a while I think.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    4 years ago

INFJ-T here

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Funny you mention that, Pink! My ex but still significant other is also an INTP.. and while we have lively fun discussions, I can say with 92.3% certainty that we could never marry and make it work. I adore him and find him clever, funny and exciting.. but we can both get too immersed in our own things and since we're both doing the same, there's the potential to take each other well off track of our goals and responsibilities as a couple. I think I work so well with my Technical Lead because he is the complete opposite of me. We make each other stronger.

• Sueb20
    4 years ago

Disregarding my established rules and regulations LMAO! Don’t ask DH about this.

• Feathers11
    4 years ago

I agree that Introvert/Extrovert labels can be misunderstood and misleading. Introverts are not shy people who hate socializing, and extroverts are not constant chatterboxes. It's more where you get your energy from--internally or externally.

One of my sons is a strong introvert, but he's not shy. In college he dated a young woman from near our hometown, and they would only see one another when he was home on break. She wanted to spend every moment of his time home with him. It exhausted him, and he didn't understand why because he really cared for her and enjoyed being with her. I explained to him (without using the "introvert" label) that he just needed personal downtime. From her, from us, etc. There was nothing wrong with his relationships or with him. He just needed time to himself. This clicked with him, and he was able to explain it to his girlfriend without hurting her feelings. It was a really good and fundamental thing for him to realize about himself and his preferences, both for his relationships and his career.

I'm enjoying this discussion, and thank you, Funkyart, for starting it and for the links you've shared.

• Funkyart
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Feathers, I am so glad you've enjoyed the thread! I have too! And LOL Sue!

For our session, I have pulled together little snippets from other resources... since there was a fair amount of discussion about Introvert vs Extrovert, I thought I'd share these examples that make the definitions of "source of energy" or "source of motivation" more understandable.. more tangible.

Extrovert vs. Introvert

Seek and value input from many vs. Seek input from chosen few

Respond to external expectations vs. Focus on internal objectives

Seek assistance actively vs. Rely on inner resources

Share things openly vs. Keep things to themselves

Seek group interaction vs. Seek small group interaction

Focus on breadth vs. Focus on depth

Start with actions vs. Start with ideas

Again, these are only preferences. To succeed in my job, I must straddle the I/E fence.. but given my own choice, I lean very strongly to Introvert. For me the only one that doesn't fit well is breadth vs depth. I require/expect both of myself.

• ilikefriday
    4 years ago

I am Protagonist ENFJ-A. It very closely fits my personality.