SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

Teaching a Child to Sew on The Sewing Machine

I have been starting to teach my 8 year old granddaughter to sew on her sewing machine. I gave her one at Christmas and she is keeping it here. So far she has made a couple of fabric gift bags, a pillow cover as she calls it and a big pillow case. Yesterday afternoon she had her first experience of pinning a pattern to the fabric and making sure it was on the straight of the grain and cutting it out. She is making a pair of pajama shorts for her Daddy! She is so excited. I had this fabric on hand and she thought it perfect, light green background with funny monkeys on it. She only sewed one seam as she was getting tired by then. She had a long day. So it will be waiting for her the next time she has time to sew. I have such a big stash of fabric is is good to see it getting used. Have you had experience helping a child learn to sew on the machine and do you have some suggestions?

I do have a low table, has adjustable legs for her machine and she sits on a rolling task chair to sew.

Sue

Comments (37)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 years ago

Sewing was typically taught in Home Ec back in the day, and that was 7th grade. She may be a bit young.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Anglophilia
  • Judy Good
    4 years ago

Make sure she gets comfortable threading the machine, bobbin winding and changing the needle. Sounds like you are doing a great job!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Judy Good
  • Related Discussions

Singer Sewing Machine tin box

Q

Comments (6)
    Well, there were a lot of different companies out there making boxes. I've not seen the one you show, so I'm guessing that it's more modern than those I'm most familiar with. Such things show up on the internet auction and sale sites pretty regularly, so I think that there's a good chance that you'll be able to find one. Annie
    ...See More

Decent sewing machine to learn with.

Q

Comments (4)
    there's no sewing machine that will protect your fingers, you'll need to learn to keep your fingers out of the way. Once you get a machine, you'll find that allowing the feed dogs to do their job to pull the fabric to the needle is easy, pushing it to the needle yourself can give a bad stitch. Let your machine do the work! And NEVER run over pins, I'll be over your shoulder watching:) That can mess up the timing of the machine or break a needle while you're sewing. As far as a machine goes, if you think you'll be doing much sewing get the best machine you can afford. I find that a lot of new sewers get caught up in the number of stitch functions on machines. To tell the truth, you really only need straight stitch and zigzag. I rarely use the extra stitches on my machine. If you have a sewing machine dealer nearby, consider a used model; you may be able to get a much better quality gently used machine for the same cost as a new lesser quality new one from a big box store. Good luck, I hope you learn to sew on your own & enjoy it!
    ...See More

Stradivara Sewing Machine....

Q

Comments (3)
    Hi there, Red, I emailed them, and will keep you posted!(and the silverware is beautiful too :^) I like this old machine so well that I'm even looking for another one to be my "spare" machine. I have a Singer and don't much like it...it's too lightweight and jittery!! You know that I am an old lady and "sot" in my ways....I want my sewing machine to be that way as well!
    ...See More

sewing machine recommendation

Q

Comments (8)
    It depends what you define as inexpensive. I recommend a Janome HD3000. It is heavy duty enough for making pillow cases and heavy curtains and will hem blue jeans. It works just like your Singer (for that matter most sewing machines do) and has a few more stiches should she want to expand her sewing repertoire. It costs around $400 new. Of course you can also buy Brothers and Singes for around $100 that may be a good place to start to see if she will stick with it. The challenge is there are a mind boggling amount of sewing machines to choose from. What ever she decides to get I recommend she get her sewing machine from an authorized dealer that services the machines they sell. They will typically offer classes, will get her set up, be there to answer her questions and to service the machine should she need it. Good luck!
    ...See More
  • daisychain Zn3b
    4 years ago

Lucky granddaughter! I remember learning to sew at that age. My mom taught me then because I begged her. Even tho I was no artist, I always had ideas for clothing and loved trying to create Barbie clothes as well as clothes for myself. I remember making placemats for my grandmother. Such a good feeling to give something you'd made yourself. I bet dad will be well pleased.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked daisychain Zn3b
  • OklaMoni
    4 years ago

You are both lucky, for the time you get to spend together. I wish, I was close in miles, to either grand daughter. One is 90 miles, the other over 500 away.

Moni

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked OklaMoni
  • georgysmom2
    4 years ago

A wonderful memory she will have for the rest of her life. I can't think of anything more wonderful than the time spent together and learning something so useful.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked georgysmom2
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I was her age when I first started to learn to use my Mother's sewing machine. It was a treadle sewing machine and it was the machine I used later on in life to make my first 2 babies their baby clothes. She had gotten an electric one by then and the old treadle was stored away, but I put it to use. I did take sewing in Home Ec. too.

Sue

• hallngarden
    4 years ago

Making memories, I am in my eighties, and I can visualize Aunt Maggie teaching me to sew. My granddaughter started showing interest two years ago in sewing. At eleven she sews small pillows, and hair scrunches.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked hallngarden
  • graywings123
    4 years ago

Lucky girl!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked graywings123
  • arcy_gw
    4 years ago

It sounds a lot like when my mom taught me. In school we started with pillows-straight seams, corners and the back flap you then sewed by hand. You got this!!

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked arcy_gw
  • patriciae_gw
    4 years ago

I think this is a wonderful thing for you to do. I would follow her lead as to what she wants to attempt and help when she needs it. Most important is safety of course. How to hold the fabric around the needle and not sew your finger. I would have loved to have that sort of experience with my grandmother.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked patriciae_gw
  • OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago

She is very lucky to have you teach her and spend time with her. I would just use this time to let her learn, as she has probably figured out already, that it takes patience to create the larger pieces. Keep it simple as you are doing. I played around with fabric remnants and made a lot of ‘doll clothes’ which were really shifts or pants for my doll.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked OutsidePlaying
  • kathyg_in_mi
    4 years ago

I taught my daughter and 3 sons to sew. Started with straight lines on paper with no thread. The boys got a kick out of it, made lots of GI Joe sleeping bags!

Glad you have the fun of teaching a grand to sew.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • loonlakelaborcamp
    4 years ago

By the end of 6th grade, I was sewing everything I would wear to school. The only thing I didn't get the hang of by then was fly fronts and notched lapels. Poly knits were coming in at that time, so made lots of coordinates.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked loonlakelaborcamp
  • Kathsgrdn
    4 years ago

No suggestions but I think it's great you are doing that! My mom used to sew everything for us but she never taught me anything. I learned some from Home Ec in jr. high. I usually just got frustrated with the material getting stuck in the machine. I had my own machine as an adult but finally gave it away. I did get my mom's first machine from back in the 50s, I think, after she passed away. Metal, Brother, with a case. Sadly my daughter doesn't sew either so I'm going to be giving it to a charity to sell soon.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Kathsgrdn
  • nicole___
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Your grand daughter sounds like she's enjoying the experience. Your projects sound age appropriate and fun!

In Home Ec we were required to buy a toothed tracing wheel and tracing paper. We traced the seams & darts. I ruined the dinning room table with that toothed wheel. I had NO idea it was going through ALL layers of fabric.....and gouging the table. OOps.....

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked nicole___
  • Michele
    4 years ago

To share knowledge of anything is a very special gift. It’s impressive, what she already can do.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Michele
  • Bluebell66
    4 years ago

I have taught a few children around the same age and I think you are doing it right! Starting with easy things that require straight sewing, like pillow cases and gift bags, is a great idea. Anything that gives her practice keeping an even seam allowance helps a lot. I have a pattern for a sling bag that kids like, too. I've attached it here but could email it to you if you want. It makes a huge bag, so I usually cut it down a bit to make it more manageable for kids.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Bluebell66
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thank You Bluebell 66 I copied your instructions and will see what we can come up with one of these days.

Sue

• DawnInCal
    4 years ago

Not only are you teaching her a skill she can use a lifetime, you are creating some beautiful memories to last a lifetime too. I wish that my grandmother had been close enough to teach me to sew, but she was 1200 miles away. My mother used to sew, but she didn't pass her knowledge to her kids. I don't know if it didn't occur to her or if she wasn't interested in teaching us, but I often wish I knew how to do more than sew on a button or do simple mending.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked DawnInCal
  • beesneeds
    4 years ago

I remember sitting on moms lap learning how to thread her machine, and she would run the treadle button on the floor slow so I could learn how to sew. Then I got better at it and eventually able to run the whole machine myself.

By the time sewing came up in Home Ec in 8th grade, I already had sewing down pat, made for easy grades, lol.

It's great to teach kids these skills as early as they want to learn them :)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked beesneeds
  • Elmer J Fudd
    4 years ago

Childhood experiences, especially with grandparents, can be very meaningful and leave lasting impressions. She'll never forget sewing with Grandma. But be sure you or someone else is giving this child broad experiences - take her to museums (especially science and technology ones), to music productions of all kinds, and all the other things kids should see. In my opinion, while basic "home ec" skills can be fun, it's the intellectual things (if that's the right word) that can have a much more significant effect on a kid's directions for later in their life.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Ladydi Zone 6A NW BC Canada
    4 years ago

I took sewing in Home Ec but had other interests that used up my time. My older sister sewed all my party clothes for the dances at school & I always felt like the bell of the ball ( I especially remember a beautiful empire waist velvet orange dress for Halloween with those awesome long belled sleeves). There have certainly been many occasions where I wish I had of paid more attention to sewing.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Ladydi Zone 6A NW BC Canada
  • mainenell
    4 years ago

The pillowcase project that is linked above would be a great beginner project.

The best way to teach sewing machine control is with no thread in the machine and lines on paper. Both my son and daughter remember doing this. Use regular lined paper for the straight lines and draw shapes on other paper for curves. You could even use simple coloring book pages.

Having a good machine that is easier to control is helpful. My daughter always complained about the smal portable Kenmore. She was most spoiled with my Bernina. When she was in college I got her a Bernette that she is very happy with. She now makes costumes and truly enjoys it. (You know you’ve done a good job when she complains about not being able to find Petersham and you have to look up what it is. And I’m way above average in the sewing knowledge. Should have known that....)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked mainenell
  • sjerin
    4 years ago

This is awesome, MS! I'll be your dgd is having a ball and loves spending time with you. This scenario brought back fun memories for me.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked sjerin
  • OutsidePlaying
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Remember the old ‘Jiffy’ and ‘Sew Easy‘ patterns? I can’t remember which pattern company had those but all had similar ones. Those would be fun to browse for an easy dress or project for her to sew.

I read the other day that Wiki was releasing 1000’s of vintage patterns available for download.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked OutsidePlaying
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    4 years ago

I learned to sew as a child. My mom and step-mom were both good seamstresses. My best advice was mentioned already, keeping her fingers out of the needle's path.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked PKponder TX Z7B
  • Rosie1949
    4 years ago

OtsidePlaying the company for Jiffy and Sew Easy was Simplicity. Still have many of those. I think it is wonderful that this little lady is learning to sew at her age. Please don't forget to teach her the art of "hand sewing"!

I was born in 1949 and somewhere between that date and 1960 I learned to sew. My first machine was a 1918 treadle. Still have it! Developed good coordination!

From 1960 on, my mom had a Kenmore in a cabinet (circa 1950's). By the time I took sewing in school I got very good grades. It was called Home Economics and I hated "part 2" which was cooking. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed cooking and baking but those recipes they came up with were horrible!

Anyway,,,,,I never lost my passion for Sewing, and from there I developed interest in all forms of needlework. Oh the things you can make that are beautiful!!!

I hope your little one stays with it. And don't forget the doll clothes! There is always a "nakey baby" somewhere!!! Rosie

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Rosie1949
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, Alyssa already knows how to embroider and she does have some patterns for a doll the size of an American Doll, but not an American Doll. She really is not that interested in dolls, but she might want to make some clothes. She will be 9 on Feb. 27. I too took Home Ec. in Jr. high. Wish they still had it in schools today. Alyssa also wishes they had it

Sue

• Rosie1949
    4 years ago

Also concerning the WIKI Free Pattern Downloads

I have only presented excerpts from a very long article by vavoomvintage.net---I would recommend going to this site and reading fully what she has to say. So here are the snippets.

"Let's talk about what the Vintage Sewing Patterns Wikia is and isn't. Even though you can't download 83,500 patterns from it (bummer, right?!), how you can use it and even get patterns from it...because it really is a cool thing!

The Vintage Sewing Patterns Wikia is a collaborative effort from sewing pattern collectors over the globe to categorize and document patterns that are 25 years and older. They upload images of the covers and descriptions. Each entry has spots for blog posts reviewing the patterns so you can see what they look like when sewn and if the person who made it has any tips for you as you navigate sewing the garment. Some entries also have links to purchase the original paper patterns from various sellers online. The people who have contributed their time, knowledge and effort to this project are amazing! It is not a source to download a massive collection of vintage sewing patterns.
    Someone wrote an article with a very misleading headline and it has spread like wildfire all over social media. Many patterns are still under copyright (I'm looking at you, Vogue) and scanning/remastering these delicate paper patterns for the general public would be an unbelievably big undertaking. Sorry, you can't download the patterns. There's just photos of the pattern covers."

Seems to be factual because I went to the WIKI site and there was nothing to download. Just look at. But it at least has pix right??? lol

Thank goodness for google!!!! Rosie

• Rosie1949
    4 years ago

Oh wonderful!!!! She may like to make a potholder or two. Gosh there are so many ideas for her to use to hone her skills! Good luck to both of you. These will be memories to share!! Rosie

• sjerin
    4 years ago

I can't believe that little baby is now 9 years old! Is this the same one who was such a lovely surprise? (Hope that's not too personal.)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked sjerin
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, Alyssa is the one I had a dream about and in the dream I said to her Aunt Cheryl, Amber has the Giggles, meaning she was pregnant! Then the next day or so she took a pregnancy test and sure enough she was!

Sue

• fiveholetarget
    4 years ago

I remember learning how to sew by sewing designs on a piece of white paper. This was done without thread in the needle. This taught you how to control the sewing machine.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked fiveholetarget
  • Rosie1949
    4 years ago

I have heard people did that! Seems it would work well. Maybe use a paper towel? I have heard of that being used also. Rosie

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Rosie 1949 those are fun patterns to look at. It will take me a good while to look at the ones I like. I have many, many old patterns, even some that my Mother had and I am 85 now. Thanks for the link.

Sue

• Rosie1949
    4 years ago

You're welcome Marilyn! I also love old patterns and I am 70 now. But I never lost my passion for sewing and I have a feeling there is going to be a big old bonfire after I die! Let's not forget the fabric, thread, supplies, binding, zippers, trim etc!!!!!

As far as looking at old patterns, I think the pattern jackets are works of art! I have an entire picture folder of them in my computer!!!!! From dolls 1/2 inch to adult. From casual to wedding attire and everything in between. NOT to mention the ones upstairs in the sewing room in boxes. Ones I can still use if I choose. I love them. And the fabric. Oh my. I better stop now! lol

Have you been on Pinterest??? What a source of everything!!!!!!!!! Rosie