New mattress concern....

always1stepbehind

I had a new mattress delivered on 11/18/19. It was comfortable from the start. It's a plush so nice and soft...I was thinking there'd need to be some breaking in period...and they say to give it at least 120 days...I guess if you hated it, you could return it but I have no complaints regarding comfort...but my concern is that when I wake up in the morning it's like i'm a hole, not uncomfortable but definately have to roll UP over the edge to get out. Its a FULL size and it's only me and I sleep pretty much in the middle...maybe it's the way this mattress is made with layers vs the previous type of mattresses I've had. You think that is something I should be concerned about or is that normal?

Here is a link to the mattress I bought.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/beautyrest-silver-brs900-tss-14.75-plush-pillow-top-mattress-full-created-for-macys?ID=8053554&CategoryID=40238#fn=BRAND%3DBeautyrest

SaveComment27Like
Comments (27)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
always1stepbehind

Wanted to add: I plan on going back to Macy and speak with the salesperson...she what she says. Wondering if I should have bought more of a firm and then let it soften up from there...??

Save    
graywings123

This is a problem with pillowtops, but it certainly should not be happening this soon. Remove the sheets and mattress pad and look at the mattress from the foot of the bed with your eyes at the level of the mattress and see if you can see the dip. Also, read the warranty about what the manufacturer considers normal for wear.

2 Likes Save    
pudgeder

I think that the "hole" will only get worse over time.

The guest bed at our daughters house is like that. DH & I both roll towards the middle and it's very difficult to turn over. It's a little more than a year old, and it's only getting worse.

2 Likes Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

It says it contains memory foam and that's one of the biggest complaints about memory foam. I absolutely cannot sleep on a mattress that contains memory foam. I feel like I am being pulled down into the abyss.

2 Likes Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Don't be shy about returning it and getting something else. That's what the policy is for - use it!

Put me down as another No vote for foam of any kind. Not in the mattress, not in a pillow. I don't want foam anywhere near a bed I use.

4 Likes Save    
Jasdip

When we bought our bed, we both found it much harder than the one we tried in the store. I was waking up with a sore back, and not having a good sleep. Costco sells a Novaform gel memory foam topper about 3" thick which is perfect. It's wonderful!!! I now sleep on one half for a week, then the other half. I also have a friend come in and turn it and the mattress every 6 months.

I know, completely the opposite of your problem, but you shouldn't be dipping into it so soon after buying it.

1 Like Save    
Elizabeth

I have complained here before about our pillow top mattress for the same reason. After a few months there were body dents and it felt overly soft. By the end of a year it was keeping us awake trying to get comfortable and we had morning backaches. It was also too hot. I felt like I was smothering in a roasted marshmallow.

Another vote for NO FOAM in my bed or pillows!

1 Like Save    
SEA SEA

We bought a bed like that from Costco. At first we really liked it. Then, we started getting what you are describing. Then as time went on, we had to fight ourselves out of the hole in the middle of the mattress in the mornings. By the time we had enough and arranged a return with Costco, we were sleeping inside a giant taco shell.

We won't buy a memory foam mattress again after that. For the replacement we got an inner spring mattress that is firm--went the other direction and call it the floor bed, as in feels like sleeping on the floor. While a bit overboard, we didn't want to take ANY chances after that!

I would suggest returning it because it will only get worse as time passes.

1 Like Save    
littlebug zone 5 Missouri

I cannot stand sleeping on a sinking mattress. It’s hot and is murder on my back. Plus the sinkhole becomes permanent and looks really really bad, even when the bed is freshly made.

1 Like Save    
matti5

We recently bought a pillow top memory foam mattress with a 120 day return that we hated the first night, but gave it a few more nights hoping to get used to it. I felt like we were sinking in hole and just to change sleeping positions was a chore. Also it slept so hot. After night five I went back to the store to return it, but was told store policy was to wait 30 days to initiate the return and it would be best not to sleep on it anymore as it will be thoroughly inspected upon pick up and will be up them to decide if they will take it. No problem as we will not spend another night on it. Thankfully we have extra bedrooms! When pick up came they took pictures, used a flashlight and also blacklight. We passed lol.

We ended up buying our previous brand, Chattem and Wells.

Save    
Lucille

After night five I went back to the store to return it, but was told store policy was to wait 30 days to initiate the return and it would be best not to sleep on it anymore as it will be thoroughly inspected upon pick up and will be up them to decide if they will take it.

The policy sounds to me like it was created to discourage returns.

3 Likes Save    
matti5

I agree Lucille!

Save    
Olychick

Memory foam is not anything I would buy either, but I am a huge fan of real latex foam. There are two kinds, talalay and dunlop. It is a natural product produced from the sap of trees. It is NOT hot, it does not get divots. I'm sleeping on a talalay foam rubber mattress that is 40 years old and still as good as new. No divots, no low spots. Hypoallergenic.

Try lying on a real foam mattress. It is supportive but not hard. I think talalay can be softer than dunlop, but I believe it comes in different firmness. I bought a Zenhaven Mattress for my guest room and am very happy with it. They deliver for free, pick up and remove your old mattress and have a good trial period and guarantee.

1 Like Save    
Elmer J Fudd

What are the advantages of a latex foam mattress compared to a mattress of conventional construction?

Save    
Condo Home

I agree with everyone who says that it will only get worse. I would return it for a non-latex mattress.

Save    
Olychick

Advantages listed in my post: supportive but not hard, no divots, no toxins or off-gassing, hypoallergenic, lasts forever. Pillow tops can't be flipped. Latex foam can be. There is really nothing like it. Never sleeps hot. Cozy in the winter, cool in the summer.

It is NOT memory foam. You have to do your research to make sure of what you are getting. Soy foam is not latex foam. There are some companies that harvest it organically; some who make their foam in the USA (but source raw materials elsewhere). Sustainable sourcing is important. If it is ever discarded, it's not toxins going to the landfill.

Benefits of real Latex Foam Mattresses

2 Likes Save    
Elizabeth

Sears gave me a hard time about return/refund. First I had to photograph the mattress and box spring from several angles. Then remove them both and photograph my entire bed frame. I was also asked to lay a yardstick or long dowel across the width mattress and then measure with a small ruler vertically as to how deep and how long the body pits were. One and a half inches were acceptable to them. And photograph that. I needed to send copies of my receipt and the tear tag from the mattress. Then after it was reviewed, they would send a representative out to look at it. If it was determined to be defective I would have to return it to the store at my expense to get a portion of my purchase price depending on the specific warrantee for that model and the length of time I had it. I put my numbers though their formula and it was not worth the amount of effort and $$'s to do it. Which was probably their plan all along.

1 Like Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I am a fan of real latex. I have been using talalay latex pillows for years. I hate sleeping on anything else. I take it with me when I travel. I would love to have a full latex mattress but they are very expensive. I do have a layer of talalay latex in my current mattress. It does not sleep hot nor does the pillow. They are very heavy though. It is totally different from the memory foams, I cannot stand those. There was a brand new serta memory foam mattress in one of our Rvs, still sealed in plastic. I traded it in for a custom made mattress from my mattress guy. Of course it wasn't an even trade. The mattress in the motorhome is one of the the air number ones. I really don't care for it. I definitely would not pay the price for one. My sister just had to have one. Now she hates it.

1 Like Save    
arcy_gw

We had a double sided pillow top. We LOVED it. We were able to flip it four ways to lengthen the wear time on things like sunken parts. After the offspring moved out we thought we should have a second queen bed in the house for visitors. We moved our mattress into the guest room and got new. WE had NO ISSUE with the old mattress after 25 years but it seemed the logical move. We planned to just get the same mattress over again. THEY DON'T MAKE IT!! The one we got has the same feel--roll over a hard edge to get out. It is beyond disappointing.

1 Like Save    
nicole___

arcy.....I know! I'm keeping my old 2 sided pillow top as long as I can! Our spare bedroom, we sleep in there in the Summer months, needs a new mattress. I have NO idea what to get. We have a king sized memory foam mattress topper we use for camping. It's extremely hot, perfect for cold Colorado camping and mushes down. I'd never want to sleep on one in a heated house. It was a good test. :0)

Save    
Ladydi Zone 7A NW BC Canada

Elizabeth, that stinks!!! I always thought Sears Warranties were great but perhaps that was back before they were struggling. My blood runs hot when I feel taken advantage of. I once had a brand new 4 X 4 Truck that kept having flat tires. The manufacturer said I shouldn't have been driving on gravel roads 😳. I argued for over a year (they even flew someone up to Northern BC (Canada) from the US to inspect the tires and the terrain and probably me). I persevered and finally got 4 brand new tires which solved the problem but I never should have been put through that. Sorry I'm off topic but just hate to hear when people are swindled.

1 Like Save    
jemdandy

Wow! That's like sleeping on an old fashioned feather bed. Those were great on cold winter nights in a cold bedroom, but the pits for other seasons. That's why the feather bed was used only in winter in rural farm houses.

Save    
murraysmom Zone 6a OH

It looks like Casper is a dunlop foam. I've had mine for about 5 or 6 years and I still love it. While I have it on a box spring, I have a piece of plywood between the mattress and box spring. When I just put it on the box spring, it felt kind of "sinky". But adding the plywood, made it firm right up and feel great.

https://www.memoryfoamdoctor.com/casper-mattress-review/

Save    
Michael

Your link says....

The new Casper has a mix of 1.5" of dunlop, 1.5" of memory foam, and 6.5" of polyurethane foam.

A true dunlop mattress of 10" would cost $2K plus, so the Casper has a tiny bit of dunlop latex. '

Save    
murraysmom Zone 6a OH

Yes. Just pointing out that the Casper has some dunlop foam. I had never heard of it until this thread and I have had my Casper mattress for many years, happily so. I bought mine after hearing recommendations from others. I am no connoisseur of mattress materials and don't claim to be.

Save    
Michael

Casper was more or less forced to be transparent if they wanted to remain a competitor.

The Dunlop - like polyurethane latex used in their newer line (2017) is actually polyurethane processed to perform similar to latex. The older versions were a proprietary foam product.

According to MemoryFoamMattress.org

The 2017 revision of The Casper Mattress goes beyond earlier
ones, changing the composition of the top layer. No longer memory foam,
it is now a latex-like foam, which is polyurethane foam engineered to have the properties of latex.

Dunlop latex has been used in mattresses since the late 1920's.

Save    
joyfulguy

If the mattress was somehat expensive ... do you figure that it may have put you so far into the hole that it'll be almost as hard getting out as it is scratching your way out of that hole in the middle of it now, always one step from behind (the eight-ball)?

o j

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Bedrooms The Right Mattress: The Secret to a Great Night’s Sleep
We spend a third of our lives asleep, so investing in a quality mattress is essential. Check out this expert advice to help you choose yours
Full Story
Bedrooms Rest Easy: Myth Busting for Bedding and Mattresses
We put to bed some of the misconceptions that may be keeping you from a good night's sleep
Full Story
Design Through the Decades Design Through the Decades: The 1970s
Concern for the planet spurs a shift toward ecologically and socially responsible architecture and products
Full Story