Eleven US Troops Were Injured in Jan. 8 Iran Missile Strike

dandyfopp

https://cdn.defenseone.com/a/defenseone/interstitial.html?v=9.11.4&rf=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.defenseone.com%2Fthreats%2F2020%2F01%2Feleven-us-troops-were-injured-jan-8-iran-missile-strike%2F162502%2F%3Foref%3DDefenseOneTCO

Eleven US Troops Were Injured in Jan. 8 Iran Missile Strike

Nearly one dozen American troops were wounded in Iran’s Jan. 8 missile attack on Iraq’s al-Asad air base. This week, they were medically evacuated to U.S. military hospitals in Kuwait and Landstuhl, Germany, to be treated for traumatic brain injury and to undergo further evaluation, several U.S. defense and military officials have confirmed to Defense One.

Senior military and Trump administration officials had said on Jan. 8 that 11 Iranian missiles had caused “no casualties, no friendly casualties, whether they are U.S., coalition, contractor, et cetera.”

In the past week, news organizations that were granted access to the base to film the damage and interview military personnel have reported that no Americans were killed, wounded, or “seriously injured.” But the New York Times reported on Monday that some personnel had been treated for concussions.

In a Jan. 16 statement, a spokesman for the U.S. military command in Baghdad said, “As previously stated, while no U.S.service members were killed in the Jan. 8 Iranian attack on Al Asad Air base, several were treated for concussion symptoms from the blast and are still being assessed.”

“Out of an abundance of caution, some service members were transported from Al Asad Air Base, Iraq to Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany, others were sent to Camp Arifjan, Kuwait, for follow-on screening,” said Col. Myles Caggins, spokesman for Combined Joint Task Force-Operation Inherent Resolve. “When deemed fit for duty, the service members are expected to return to Iraq following screening. The health and welfare of our personnel is a top priority and we will not discuss any individual’s medical status.”

A separate U.S. defense official speaking on background confirmed eleven Americans had been sent out of Iraq for treatment.

“As a standard procedure, all personnel in the vicinity of a blast are screened for traumatic brain injury, and if deemed appropriate, are transported to a higher level of care. At this time, eight individuals have been transported to Landstuhl, and three have been transported to Camp Arifjan,” said the official.

According to a senior U.S. defense official, “About a week after the attack some service members were still experiencing some symptoms of concussion.” The official expected more information would be released soon. “We only got wind of this in the last 24 hours.”

Initial reports about the attack speculated that Iran had tried to avoid areas of the base that housed military personnel. But U.S.officials soon rejected that notion. In a Jan. 8 press conference, Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Mark Milley said, “The points of impact were close enough to personnel and equipment, so on and so forth, I believe, based on what I saw and what I know, is that they were intended to cause structural damage, destroy vehicles and equipment and aircraft, and to kill personnel.”

Still, several news organizations soon reported from Al-Asad that U.S. troops had been alerted to the attack hours in advance, and told to head for bunkers 15 minutes before the missiles began to strike. Many U.S. troops, however, manned exposed positions, including at least one group of drone operators who stayed in an above-ground building to get their drones aloft and avoid ground damage. The leader of an Army drone team told NPR that he was “knocked off his feet by the blast.” Others told the New York Times that missiles damaged the building they were in.

On Thursday, Pentagon chief spokesman Jonathan Hoffman declined to say what tipped off the Americans. He did deny reports that the warning came from somewhere besides the United States or Iraq.

SaveComment26Like
Comments (26)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chipotle

And again, Trump lied!!!

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Trump didn’t enforce his red line? Oh dear.

1 Like Save    
Linda

I knew it! At the time of news reports, it sounded like nobody was even injured, but somehow I doubted it at the time. I thought...of course, the Orange One doesn't want anyone to know, because he'd be blamed! I really hope they don't sent the injured back. Some may have PTSD, and it will show up after a while.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Instead of informing the American people and honoring the servicemen and their families the CIC held two rallies never mentioning the injuries...because it's always all about him.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Just as he doesn’t want the IC to hold their threat assessment announcement, he doesn’t want to advertise he was the cause of American soldiers injuries.

Save    
paprikash

He’s probably planning retaliation which is okay by me

Save    
Kathy

Americans deserve to know the threats our country face so we can not only judge the job the president is doing but also to assess our vulnerabilities personally and as a nation.

1 Like Save    
dandyfopp

Transparency and truth are always going to be a problem for Donnie.

His presidency can't survive them.

1 Like Save    
paprikash

Oh yes, our judgments — when we are, rightfully, not privy to all the necessary information is important so we can judge and assess our vulnerabilities. LOL

Save    
loonlakelaborcamp(3 A/B)

CBS radio reported the injuries were concussion related and not evident immediately. Trump did not lie. The diagnosis was not made until 3 days later.

Save    
Nana H

I don't think he lied I just find it appalling that CIC has made no mention of the injured solders especially given how much time he has to tweet about "everything him".

He had a great opportunity to recognize them at his rally but as I said it's always all about him.

Edited

Save    
chipotle

He lied about the pretext for the strike on Soleimani and he lied about our troops' injuries. Lying by omission is still a lie. Failing to correct misconceptions is a lie.

Save    
bob_cville

> He’s probably planning retaliation which is okay by me

He's probably planning retaliation against the news organizations who released this news, since he cares far more about his image in the eyes of his worshipful supporters than about any injuries to military personnel.

1 Like Save    
elvis

Military officials explained the discrepancy, saying that their symptoms had only recently developed

“Symptoms emerged days after the fact, and they were treated out of an abundance of caution,” Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman told CNN. “We corrected the record today,” he said. The Office of the Secretary of Defense “learned about these injuries today and directed a statement go out immediately.”

https://www.timesofisrael.com/pentagon-acknowledges-11-us-soldiers-were-hurt-in-iran-missile-strike/

Save    
catkinZ8a

Concussions--best wishes for s speedy recovery, soldiers!

A concussion is a traumatic brain injury that affects your brain function. Effects are usually temporary but can include headaches and problems with concentration, memory, balance and coordination.

Concussions are usually caused by a blow to the head. Violently shaking the head and upper body also can cause concussions.

Some concussions cause you to lose consciousness, but most do not. It's possible to have a concussion and not realize it.

Concussions are particularly common if you play a contact sport, such as football. Most people usually recover fully after a concussion.

Save    
chipotle

US military personnel diagnosed with traumatic brain injuries is now at 64.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

BTW did Trump honor them at his last rally? Recognize their commitment and sacrifice after calling it no more than a headache ?

1 Like Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Trump only has honor for himself., which is odd since he lacks any at all.

1 Like Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

BTW did Trump honor them at his last rally?

There wasn't enough time -- House managers had to be slimed and mocked.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

Oh well maybe he will honor them tonight at his " you love me, you really love me" fest.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

BTW has he yet to call the murdering of American soldiers, on American soil, on an American military base by Saudi military terrorism ?

Save    
Kathy

Minimizing brain injury from a concussion isn’t helpful to those who experience them. Service related concussions caused by blasts and explosions are being found to have different after effects than a blow to the head. I don’t see how anyone can dismiss a concussion by saying most people recover. They may seemingly recover but also have life long effects as a result of injury to the brain.

At any rate since it was caused by a retaliatory attack the least Trump could do as CIC is express some sort of acknowledgement of their injury rather than brushing it off as minor.

Save    
elvis

chipotle

US military personnel diagnosed with traumatic brain injuries is now at 64.

That's a shame. When we were kids running around without helmets, few paid much attention to "concussions". Now we know that TBI is nothing to dismiss, it's good that the military is on top of this.

As for the president: Asked about Trump's prior comments, Esper told Pentagon reporters that he had spoken with the president and the rhetoric changed. A week after President Donald Trump seemed to minimize the traumatic brain injuries (TBI) suffered by service members following Iran's missile attack on a base in Iraq,

Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Thursday that Trump is now "very concerned." "He is very concerned about the health and welfare of all of our service members, particularly those who were involved in the operations in Iraq and he understands the nature of these injuries," Esper said Thursday during a Pentagon news conference.

General Mark Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told reporters that the majority of the 50 affected service members in Iraq had been diagnosed with a "mild TBI." Milley said that according to the to the military's categories for injuries: very serious injuries, serious injuries and not serious injuries, the service members fell into the latter category. He added "that doesn’t mean they’re not injured" and he noted that all the affected service members would be monitored for years to come since some symptoms may not manifest themselves for quite some time.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/pentagon-trump-concerned-brain-injury-victims-iran-attack/story?id=68639652

Save    
Kathy

Esper covering formTrump, just like everyone else walks back his comments explaining what Trump meant. Has Trump made an announcement? Let me know when that happens. He will eventually be shamed into it.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Yes Kathy, the very least. Mind you his parishioners don' t seem to expect that type of Presidential behavior from him. The only thing that matters is the stock market and GDP....ooooops maybe not so much GDP....that was so yesterday.

1 Like Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

He added "that doesn’t mean they’re not injured" and he noted that all the affected service members would be monitored for years to come since some symptoms may not manifest themselves for quite some time.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Features Can Tidying Up Result in Life-Changing Magic?
Organizing phenom Marie Kondo promises big results — if you embrace enormous changes and tough choices
Full Story
Dens and Libraries 'Not My Precious Books!' — Pain-Free Ways to Declutter Your Library
Have your books and neatness too, with these ideas for paring down and straightening up a beloved collection
Full Story