FBI Busts Members of Neo-Nazi Group Days Before Richmond Gun Rally

dandyfopp

FBI Busts Members of Neo-Nazi Group ‘The Base’ Days Before Richmond Gun Rally

Two of the suspects allegedly built an assault rifle, amassed a pile of ammunition, and harbored an international fugitive.

Published Jan. 16, 2020 1:02PM

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fbi-busts-patrik-mathews-and-other-members-of-neo-nazi-group-the-base-days-before-richmond-gun-rally

The FBI arrested three members of a neo-Nazi group called “The Base” on Thursday morning, days ahead of a pro-gun rally in Richmond that is attracting fringe figures and has already prompted a state of emergency declaration.

The three suspects—Brian Mark Lemley, William Garfield Bilbrough, and Canadian fugitive Patrik Mathews—face a variety of gun charges. Lemley and Bilbrough are also accused of illegally harboring Mathews, a former Canadian military reservist who fled his home country after being accused of being a recruiter for The Base. The trio is expected to face a federal judge in Maryland on Thursday afternoon.

The suspects had discussed traveling to Richmond, Virginia, for a Jan. 20 rally in front of the state Capitol to protest new gun control legislation, The New York Times reported. The rally has become a flashpoint for the fringe right, prompting Gov. Ralph Northam to declare a four-day state of emergency and ban guns from the Capitol complex.

Lemley and Mathews had allegedly built an assault rifle and amassed hundreds of rounds of ammunition before their arrest, according to the FBI. On a recording, Lemley said he had made the gun into an illegal machine gun and made plans to hide it from federal agents, according to the FBI

“Oh oops, it looks like I accidentally made a machine gun,” Lemley, a former cavalry scout in the U.S. Army, said, according to the affidavit.

“I’m going to stow it here until next week, just in case the ATF [Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms] shows up tomorrow,” he told Mathews.

“Um, if they show up here, we got other problems,” Mathews replied.

The Base, which is derived from the English translation of the name of radical Islamic terrorist group al Qaeda, is a white supremacist paramilitary groupcommitted to race war. In an affidavit filed with an application for the arrest warrants, an FBI described how Base members discuss their racial terrorism plans online.

“Within The Base’s encrypted chat rooms, members have discussed, among other things, recruitment, creating a white ethno-state, committing acts of violence against minority communities (including African-Americans and Jewish-Americans), the organization’s military-style training camps, and ways to make improvised explosive devices,” the affidavit reads.

Mathews allegedly crossed into Minnesota from Canada around Aug. 19, according to the FBI. After learning that Mathews was hiding in Michigan, Lemley and Bilbrough allegedly drove from Maryland to pick him up, then allegedly drove him back to the mid-Atlantic area on Aug. 30.

On Nov. 4, according to the FBI, Mathews and Lemley rented an apartment in Delaware, according to the FBI. They ordered a part for the gun and ammunition, according to the affidavit, and made regular trips to a Maryland gun range with the functional assault rifle they had assembled. At one point, Bilbrough visited the pair, and the three allegedly discussed the Base’s membership and tried to make the hallucinogen DMT.

On Jan. 11, Lemley picked up hundreds of rounds of additional ammunition and components for body armor, according to the FBI.

SaveComment68Like
Comments (68)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ziemia(6a)

The FBI group responsible for these arrests - who considers them good and trustworthy and who considers them dishonest and dangerous?

Save    
Nicole (CO Z5b)(5b)

I'm sure they are very fine people.

2 Likes Save    
margaritadina

''

Ziemia(6a)

The
FBI group responsible for these arrests - who considers them good and
trustworthy and who considers them dishonest and dangerous? ''

Blackface, who else can it be?

It's pretty intense now in NoVa, people don't like their Constitutional rights been violated.

Before someone jumps to any conclusions, it's not about the race of people who are agitated with Blackface initiative to confiscate guns from people. Over a thousand of black law abiding VA gun owners united on one of the websites under '''KKK wants to confiscate our guns" slogan. Whoever remembers the pic would know what they mean.

Blackface banned an open carry on Monday around the Capital Square. It will be interesting. Will see how many ANTIFA cowards will show up in their masks and how they will behave. They got away with starting Charlottesville bloody mess, they are closely watched now.

Roomer has it that W VA will be getting some counties under it's wing soon.

Save    
dandyfopp

Three More Richmond Gun Rally-Bound Alleged Neo-Nazis Tied to Hate Group Reportedly Arrested

https://www.thedailybeast.com/three-more-alleged-neo-nazis-reportedly-arrested-before-virginia-guns-rights-rally?source=twitter&via=mobile

Three more alleged neo-Nazis connected to a white-nationalist group planning to have members at a Monday gun-rights rally in Virginia are reported to have been arrested. The three Georgia men, who are suspected of participating in a criminal street gang associated with a hate group known as The Base, were arrested on several charges, including conspiracy to commit murder, the Rome News-Tribune reports. The three men are Luke Austin, Michael Helterbrand, and Jacob Kaderli of Dacula, the paper reports. While details of their charges remain under seal, the trio’s arrest came a day before three other suspected members of The Base were picked up in Maryland on a variety of gun charges, including possession of a home-made machine gun. Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam has declared a four-day state of emergency ahead of the Jan. 20 rally to protest new gun-control legislation. The move has allowed the state to ban all weapons, including firearms, in the area around the Capitol in Richmond.

Susan Bro, the mother of Heather Heyer, who was killed by a white nationalist at a rally that turned violent in nearby Charlottesville in 2017, begged attendees on all sides of the Second Amendment event to stay peaceful. In an interview with Britain’s Independent on Friday, Bro said she was worried about incitements to violence ahead of the Monday rally and said: “To anybody planning violence: stay the hell away from Richmond.” She added, “I just think everyone needs to take a moment and breathe, but i think we’re past that point.”

Save    
dandyfopp

Men Discussed Opening Fire at Pro-Gun Rally in Richmond, Officials Say

Other suspected members of white-supremacist group the Base arrested in Georgia

https://www.wsj.com/articles/men-discussed-opening-fire-at-pro-gun-rally-in-richmond-officials-say-11579291691?mod=e2tw

Three suspected white supremacists arrested in Maryland and Delaware this week had discussed opening fire from different positions at Monday’s planned pro-gun rally in Richmond, Va., in the hopes of causing chaos, law-enforcement officials said.

Authorities also confirmed they arrested three other men in Georgia this week who are allegedly linked to the same violent, white-supremacist group, called “the Base,” as the men who were heading to Virginia. The Georgia men were arrested on Wednesday for plotting to murder a Georgia couple, the Floyd County, Ga., police department said Friday.

The group’s activities include recruiting members online, meeting to discuss strategy and practicing at a paramilitary training camp on a 100-acre tract in Silver Creek, Ga., county police said. Silver Creek is an unincorporated part of the county northwest of Atlanta.

The FBI said it assisted local law enforcement on the Georgia arrests. Law-enforcement agencies have been tracking the group, which aims to “accelerate the downfall of the U.S. government, incite a race war and establish a white ethno-state,” according to an affidavit associated with the Georgia arrests, and filed in a local court.

Gun-rights advocates have rallied in Richmond on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, also known as Lobby Day, for nearly two decades. They are planning for an especially large crowd on Monday in response to Democrats’ plans to pass a slate of gun-control bills. Democrats took over both chambers of Virginia’s legislature in a November election and have moved quickly to advance legislation, including measures the Senate approved Thursday to expand background checks and limit people to one handgun purchase a month.

Gov. Ralph Northam on Wednesday declared a state of emergency and temporarily banned firearms from the grounds near the state Capitol in Richmond, citing law-enforcement concerns about violence during Monday’s rally.

Gun-rights groups sued on Thursday a Richmond court, claiming state law prohibited the Democratic governor from using the emergency declaration to enact the gun ban. Hours later, a judge upheld the governor’s order, prompting the gun-rights groups to petition the state Supreme Court.

“These threats are real—as evidenced by reports of neo-Nazis arrested this morning after discussing plans to head to Richmond with firearms,” the governor said Thursday.

Citing worries about violence, a local branch of the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence said it cancelled its own gathering at the Virginia statehouse, which had been planned for later Monday.

“We are an organization that strives to promote public health and safety, and we cannot in good faith lead our supporters—some of whom are children and teenagers—into a violent, dangerous situation,” said Lori Haas, the coalition’s Virginia director. “We refuse to engage with those who seek to physically harm us.”

Officials with Gun Owners of America, which is helping organize Monday’s pro-gun rally, said the vast majority of its members are law-abiding and that rallygoers should be able to carry guns in case extremists tried to cause mayhem.

“If there’s one place a crazy murderer is not going to choose to start shooting, it will be Capitol Square in Richmond on Monday,” said Michael Hammond, GOA’s legislative counsel. “He understands before he has fired his second shot he himself will be dead. That’s assuming people can be armed. If the governor chooses to turn 20, 50, 100,000 people into sitting ducks so they can be mowed down by a crazy killer, that’s blood on his hands.”

The six men arrested this week are members of the Base, according to court documents. Members use encrypted online chat rooms to discuss ways to make improvised explosive devices and violence against African-Americans and Jewish-Americans, a Federal Bureau of Investigation special agent said in court papers.

The Base was founded in or around July 2018 for the purpose of uniting white nationalists, and its leadership encourages members to meet in person and engage in military training to prepare for violent insurgency against various targets, including the U.S. government, court documents said.

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Thank you, Dandy, for posting this information. I thought I posted something on it a day or two ago, but it never showed up.

This situation bears close watching by anyone opposed to Neo-Nazi gun rally enthusiasts.

Kate

1 Like Save    
floodwaters

I don't have any use for Neo Nazi types, there is only one FBI guy I truse, cause Ive known him forever. The rest, I don't think so.

Save    
catkinZ8a

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

From Daily Wire (JANUARY 16TH, 2020)--

-------------------------

"County Declares Itself 2A ‘Sanctuary’ In Response To VA Gun Control; Sheriff Deputy: ‘I’m Not Gonna Enforce An Unconstitutional Law’

On Tuesday night, a North Carolina county unanimously voted to become a “sanctuary” for the Second Amendment and a haven from unconstitutional gun laws.

The move comes in the wake of mass unrest in Virginia due to the gun confiscation agenda of scandal-ridden Democratic Governor Ralph Northam.

[. . .]

The county Board of Commissioners “heard from 20 members of a standing-room-only crowd of more than 150 during a 30-minute public-comment period,” reported the Winston-Salem Journal. “Every person who spoke did so in favor of the proposed Second Amendment protection resolution.”

Davidson County Sheriff’s Deputy Tripp Kester was one of the individuals to speak to the crowd. . . .

[. . .]

“Governments were instituted among men, specifically, to secure our God given rights,” Kester noted. “And it says when government becomes destructive to these ends … it’s the right of the people to alter or abolish that government, either by voting or, ultimately, God forbid, to use our Second Amended rights to protect ourselves from tyranny.”

“I took an oath,” the deputy said, and I “swore that I’d give my life to defend that Constitution.”

“I’m not trying to be disrespectful, but regardless of what you guys do or don’t do, I’m not gonna enforce an unconstitutional law,” he added, sparking thunderous applause.

[. . .]

As reported by The Daily Wire, Democrats have received strong pushback from gun owners and Second Amendment supporters over Northam’s confiscation agenda.

In November, Northam outlined extreme gun control policies Democrats intend to push in 2020. According to The Washington Post, such measures include: “universal background checks, banning the sale of [semi-automatic firearms] and high-capacity magazines, restoring the law that limits purchases to one gun a month, and a red flag law that would empower a court to temporarily remove a gun from a person deemed to be a risk to himself or others.”

“When asked about confiscating guns from law-abiding citizens, Northam responded ‘that’s something I’m working [on] with our secretary of public safety,'” The Daily Wire highlighted."

-----------

Kate

Save    
margaritadina

''

dublinbay z6 (KS)

The
headline says "gun rally"--but I think most people understand that is
the same thing as a "Second Amendment rally, " so I wouldn't worry about
it," margarita.

''

Did you understand the difference when you posted about Neo Nazi RALLY?I omitted mentioning Neo Nazi from your post to avoid spreading lies about the event even further. The rally in NoVa is to protest the violation of the Constitutional rights and presenting it as a Neo Nazi rally because three guys from hell knows where (MD and Canada?) were arrested is a lie.

''“When asked about confiscating guns from law-abiding citizens,
Northam responded ‘that’s something I’m working [on] with our secretary
of public safety,'”

''

Speaking of the public safety. I hope Blackface realizes that if even one of our disarmed men will be harmed by masked fascists, it's going to be a bloodbath. Hope he realizes that.

Save    
margaritadina

''dublinbay z6 (KS) Do you understand, margarita, that I was objecting to Neo-Nazis who are enthusiastic about gun rallies?

''

Yes, these thread is about Neo Nazis, all three of them. Three Neo Nazi RALLY.

Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

Neo Nazi! Guns! VA is gonna be interesting to watch.

Save    
margaritadina

There are no Neo Nazis in VA. There will be <> 25K law abiding citizens rallying.

The only Nazis there will be ANTIFA. They plan to join.

Your 2nd Amendment is under very serious attack
in the Great Commonwealth of Virginia. That’s what happens when you vote
for Democrats, they will take your guns away. Republicans will win
Virginia in 2020. Thank you Dems!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 17, 2020

He is right.

Save    
HU-885118952

margaritadina

There are no Neo Nazis in VA. There will be <> 25K law abiding citizens rallying.

The only Nazis there will be ANTIFA. They plan to join.

W

Wait until they see how many black Americans support the 2nd amendment.Conundrum.

Save    
Toby

margaritadina

There are no Neo Nazis in VA.

Are you trying to make some bigger point by posting such a blatant falsehood? Or are you that naive to believe it?

Speaking of the public safety. I hope Blackface realizes that if even
one of our disarmed men will be harmed by masked fascists, it's going to
be a bloodbath. Hope he realizes that.

First you say this, then you say only law-abiding citizens will be there. Law-abiding citizens don't take part in a bloodbath.

7 Likes Save    
cattyles

Nells, it’s that “all or nothing, black or white” conservative brain at work. No nuance, no gray shading at all.

5 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Northam's rules for gun controls are nothing less than reasonable. There are gun sanctuary towns now on the increase in VA, alas. It is disheartening to see the growth of the gun worshippers in the state of Washington and Jefferson and other Founding Fathers.

Trump added fuel to the waiting conflagration by his statement that Dems want to take guns away from Americans. That is grossly false.

It's even more sad and ironic to note that this is planned on the day to honor Martin Luther King, a heroic American of PEACEFUL protest.

2 Likes Save    
lily316

I'm sure there are very fine people (sarcasm) in the gun-loving neo-nazi crowd. I'll bet you my house there is not one democrat in the bunch but all trumpers.

Save    
ubro(2a)

There are no Neo Nazis in VA.

Right, because we know all the people in VA and everything about their personal life. The only way a person could be sure is if they were one of the Neo Nazi Party and knew the inner workings.

1 Like Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

As a native Richmonder I'm glad that our Governor is taking these extra precautions and kudos to the FBI for rounding up these "fine" nazies and white supremists.

7 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

Yup and for finding the one we lost.

1 Like Save    
margaritadina

''

neils

There are no Neo Nazis in VA

And how would you know this?
''

I trust FBI. They arrested all three out of state guys.

''

woodnymph2_gw Northam's rules for gun controls are nothing less than reasonable.

''

Sure, it's very reasonable to violate people's Constitutional rights.

He should be working on MS13 hotbeds in VA.

Save    
Toby

''

So you do believe that there are no neo-Nazis in VA? Do you realize that being a neo-Nazi isn't illegal so the FBI isn't arresting the hundreds more who live in VA?

2 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

This wouldn't surprise me one bit.

1 Like Save    
margaritadina

''

Toby

''

So you do believe that there are no neo-Nazis in VA? Do you realize
that being a neo-Nazi isn't illegal so the FBI isn't arresting the
hundreds more who live in VA?

''

I don't understand why been a Neo Nazi isn't illegal, but that's another story. If they are not coming to the rally/don't plan any civil unrest to harm people I don't count them AR ALL. I worry about ANTIFA thugs a lot more, it was them who started the agitation in Charlottesville that ultimately led to the loss of life of the young woman.

''catkinZ8a

This wouldn't surprise me one bit.''

Thank you for posting, catkin. A lot of people are aware of that, a lot more will know by Monday.. They are for sure coming to start trouble.

Their disadvantage is that they will be filmed getting off the buses with their faces on full display. EVERY man at this rally will be ready to film, they are not getting away with this.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Disinformation once again.

4 Likes Save    
Toby

Tom DeWeese is known to be a conspiracy theorist. Look him up.

2 Likes Save    
elvis

From the OP:

The three suspects—Brian Mark Lemley, William Garfield Bilbrough, and Canadian fugitive Patrik Mathews—face a variety of gun charges. Lemley and Bilbrough are also accused of illegally harboring Mathews, a former Canadian military reservist who fled his home country after being accused of being a recruiter for The Base.

So as if we don't have enough home-grown bad guys, now we got a Canadian bad guy hiding out here in the States, plotting goodness knows what. Did he recruit the American men? Yeesh.

Save    
Stan Areted

Geez can't find anything to do up there?

Save    
woodnymph2_gw

It was not the Antifa that started the agitation in Charlottesville; it was the neo-nazis marching on to the campus of the University of Virginia with tiki torches, in protest of the confederate statue. Heather Heyer, who was killed, was a peaceful marcher who was not Antifa, and was run down. Other peaceful protesters were also injured in the fray.

4 Likes Save    
margaritadina

/\/\ It was ANTIFA. NNazis registered with the city of Charlottesville to march, ANTIFA didn't. The rally was peaceful until ANTIFA kicked in. Police did NOTHING.

NNazis were armed to the teeth with firearms, by the way.

Heather was an innocent victim of the unjust violence. No one ever said she was an ANTIFA thug. But this is what happens when violence is sparks - guilty and innocent have equal chances getting hurt and killed.

1 Like Save    
margaritadina

The add reads ''Jan 16 call out for crisis actors as Governor declares state of emergency'' That is Amissville NoVa, 100 miles from Richmond.

Later the add disappeared and location replaced with Warrenton NoVA. The add wording had also changed to ''...roleplaying project for professional actors, not CRISIS ACTORS for false flag operations....'' Paid job, $250 per day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-7stznSqDc

The rally will take place on Jan 20, 2020. Hope this is just a coincidence.

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Virginia Government is paying actors to protest in Richmond

That leap of logic is from the video maker, not from the advertisement.

3 Likes Save    
Toby

What rights are they taking away?

Save    
margaritadina

Toby, you probably need to research the issue yourself from the beginning since you have no info at all.

3 Likes Save    
ubro(2a)

So a 'plant' of the idea that ANTIFA acting as MAGA hat wearers has been officially been done on HT so that we distrust anything we see. It is exactly the same way Trump operates, sow distrust of the FAKE news.

Sorry, the right wing nut jobs have to take their own blame, until it is proven otherwise.

ETA and not proven by Breitbart, Hannity or Fox none of which are actual news.

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

Toby, you probably need to research the issue yourself from the beginning since you have no info at all.

Starting with the understanding of rights and that the gov't cannot take away what's does not belong to it.

2 Likes Save    
elvis

Well, it can, but it shouldn't.

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

There are limitations on rights--such as something that would endanger the public. The classic example illustrating a first amendment limitation is crying fire in a crowded theater (when there is no fire)--panic could ensue, people getting trampled as a result.

Reasonable restrictions on firearms--particularly in the name of public safety--can be argued for the second amendment also. The restrictions do not mean that the right has been abrogated.

Kate

4 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

The restrictions do not mean that the right has been abrogated.

Nope, just "well regulated"

3 Likes Save    
margaritadina

''

ubro(2a)

ETA and not proven by Breitbart, Hannity or Fox none of which are actual news.
''

We saw the ''proof'' on Covington boys. Thank you very much.

1 Like Save    
margaritadina

''

dublinbay z6 (KS)

Reasonable restrictions on firearms--particularly in the name of
public safety--can be argued for the second amendment also. The
restrictions do not mean that the right has been abrogated.

Kate

''

Shall not be infringed.

Richmond is a criminal cesspool, Springfield and Loundon county is MS13 hotbeds and illegal aliens criminal activities, but blackface is going after law abiding citizens.

Save    
cattyles

Registering a gun and having a background check doesn’t infringe on anything.

6 Likes Save    

Shall not be infringed.

Control -- registration, background checks, outlawing certain models -- are not infringing on a person's right to have a firearm.

7 Likes Save    
margaritadina

''

Shall not be infringed.

Control -- registration, background checks, outlawing certain models
-- are not infringing on a person's right to have a firearm.

''

Background checks are already a law. You should know that.

It's not up to blackface or anyone else to confiscate firearms and regulate how many can be purchased per month. It's not up to him or anyone else to tell people what model to buy. It's not up to him or anyone else to require a registration. Shall not be infringed. Nothing to discuss here, it's all covered in the Contstitution.

Save    
cecily 7A

Background checks are already a law You should know that. Wrong.

In Virginia background checks are not required for private gun sales which includes gun shows. That's the gun show loophole that Democrats are trying to close. We want background checks for all gun sales in the Commonwealth.

5 Likes Save    
Toby

It sounds like they will be role-playing disaster preparedness, perhaps in this case a terrorist attack. Other cities have done this.

1 Like Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

I wish you other 49 states would keep your noses out of Virginia's business. Go ahead and continue your debate on escalating the ongoing civilian arms race. We want another path which involves sanity.

4 Likes Save    
bob_cville

> It was ANTIFA. NNazis registered with the city of Charlottesville to march, ANTIFA didn't. The rally was peaceful until ANTIFA kicked in.

These statements are false. I live Charlottesville and I'm sick and tired of people who know nothing about what actually transpired here endlessly repeating false information that they heard on some right-wing news source.

Neo-Nazis, KKK and various other hate-based groups that consider themselves a part of the Right Wing of American Politics came from other places in Virginia and other states around the country to participate in the "Unite the Right" rally. They did apply for and were granted a permit for their march. The day before their planned rally, hundreds of them participated in another march across the University of Virginia campus carrying tiki torches and chanting racist slogans. They encountered a group of students and professors, who, responding to a rumor that the marchers intended to deface, damage or destroy a statue of Thomas Jefferson on campus, were gathered around that statue. After increased shouting, a melee ensued with the marchers using the tiki torches as weapons to bash the students, staff, professors and locals.

Because of that the permit for the rally the next day was pulled, and it was declared an illegal gathering. Despite this they still showed up and marched, meaning every single person participating in the march was breaking the law.

The only evidence I have heard of "Antifa" being involved was when a Nazi-slogan shouting marcher, was "peacefully" thrusting a gun into the face of a Rabbi sitting on the steps of his Synagogue and "peacefully" threatening to kill the Rabbi, some self-avowed Antifa members attacked the "peaceful" marcher to prevent what appeared to be a credible, imminent threat of lethal violence.

You've said here: "I don't understand why been a Neo Nazi isn't illegal, but that's another story." Or (paraphrasing from another post) that believing in Nazi tenets should be cause for a person to be locked up. Do you realize that that is the central reason-for-being of Antifa (which not coincidentally, is short for Anti-Fascist)? That the Fascist ideologies spouted by neo-Nazis are dangerous and that allowing them any platform to disseminate and spread and normalize those ideologies is dangerous.

If you had your wish and being a Nazi or believing in and promoting their ideals were to be made illegal. The bulk of Antifa would hold a big party and hang a virtual banner declaring "Mission Accomplished" and fold up shop.

8 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Wrong hunch, apples/bananas

Save    

anyone else to confiscate firearms and regulate how many can be purchased per month. It's not up to him or anyone else to tell people what model to buy. It's not up to him or anyone else to require a registration. Shall not be infringed. Nothing to discuss here, it's all covered in the Contstitution.

Other states have laws for confiscating guns of mentally ill person, banning certain models, etc. that have passed judicial review. What makes VA a special case that those laws cannot be enacted there.

3 Likes Save    
bob_cville

> I wish you other 49 states would keep your noses out of Virginia's
business. Go ahead and continue your debate on escalating the ongoing
civilian arms race. We want another path which involves sanity.

This. The right-wing is all for "let the states decide" when it pertains to stripping rights from people they don't like: Banning all abortions. Intentionally disenfranchising minority groups. Refusing to provide marriage licenses to gay couples. However if a duly elected state-legislature decides to do as they promised in their campaigns and attempts to address the perceived out-of-control gun violence issue in even the smallest of ways, then the right-wing "State's rights" proponents change their tune, and travel across the country to come here, threatening violence, and protest our state representatives passing a law that won't have any effect in their home states. (Except for those from other states whose "business" involves coming to Virginia and buying crate-loads or van loads of weapons and then illegally selling those guns to criminals in other states with more stringent gun laws.)

10 Likes Save    
numbersjunkie

Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

Yeah, stone throwing antifa are heroes. Scared liberals are going to fix gun violence in VA. Just like they have fixed it everywhere else. I bet all the criminals will be very impacted by this. Lol, simply ridiculously stupid.

1 Like Save    
Toby

You need a private arsenal to defend yourself from criminals? Here we use the police.

2 Likes Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

Really Toby, the police are there to protect you from criminals? Good luck with that!

1 Like Save    
Toby

What type of criminal is the guy in numbersjunkie's photo planning on defending himself from?

2 Likes Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

With the 50 cal? That is a $15k+ weapons system, so probably the one made of paper a km or more away lol.

Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Thank you, bob of Charlottesville, for setting the record straight for certain deniers on this forum. The changes in gun regulations that Northam wants are nothing less than reasonable.

3 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Gee whiz, I hope this post doesn't "disappear" like a couple of my previous ones did!

---------------

The following Huffington Post article thinks the Richmond gun rally wasn't very successful because it got overtaken by various militia and assorted White Supremacists.

--------------------

"The Colossal Gun Rally In Richmond Was Co-Opted By Extremists

[. . .]

. . . Gov. Ralph Northam declared a state of emergency, and hundreds of gun-toting men from out of the area were bused in by the militia that hosted the event.

What resulted was not a protest with a clear, pro-gun message, but a circus of ideas and characters from the far-right, . . . an assortment of [extremists] from the fringe: gun-toting militia members, conspiracy theorists like Alex Jones and QAnon, blathering neo-Nazi Jovi Val, punch-happy gangs Patriot Prayer and the Proud Boys, and even an armed group formed on the internet, seeking to bring on a civil war.

The intended message was lost in a crowd that often looked more like a real-life assemblage from a 4chan message board than a Second Amendment lobbying event. . . .

The underlying issues surrounding guns (there’s more than one mass shooting every day in America, for example) weren’t really represented at all, as counterprotesters largely avoided the event on account of the violent threats. Days before the rally, three suspected neo-Nazis planning to attend Monday’s demonstration were arrested amid an alleged plot to open fire and sow chaos.

Some of those who did attend aren’t exactly known for taking up Second Amendment causes. The Proud Boys and Patriot Prayer, for example, exist to fight counterprotesters in the street, and spend weeks plotting their attacks against them. Alex Jones, the InfoWars host most famous for lying about the Sandy Hook school massacre, was seen cruising Richmond streets in a tacky armored truck, screaming into a megaphone to applause from the audience.

When a reporter asked a Proud Boys member where his compatriots were, he suggested looking “on the rooftops.” It was an implicit threat referring to a 2018 incident in which members were found on the roof of Portland, Oregon, parking garage with a cache of weapons.

[. . . ]

In the end, there was no bloodshed, in part because the threat of violence was so severe that the government declared a state of emergency. . . .

[. . . ]

With no one to give into their confrontation, militia members were left practicing marching single-file down Main Street, past Richmond’s cute bars and diners, pretending to be the soldiers they aren’t."

---------------------------

Kind of a big bust, it sounds like to me. Didn't do much to further the pro-gun cause, at any rate.

Kate

Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Virginia learned it's lesson in Charlottesville and now does a good job at regulating it's militia well..........and it's counterparts from out of state.

2 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

In that case, I'm all for a well-regulated militia. : )

Kate

3 Likes Save    
cecily 7A

Update: the red flag bill passed the VA Senate yesterday.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

This is a good thing for the republicans. :^)

Save    
elvis

Toby

What type of criminal is the guy in numbersjunkie's photo planning on defending himself from?

The Barrett 50 caliber? It's just a scary-looking semi-automatic. One trigger pull, one shot. So what? Scopes and stands are just accessories.

Maybe if it was pink rather than gray?

2 Likes Save    
Del Phinium

elvis

"The Barrett 50 caliber?

Maybe if it was pink rather than gray?"

They DO come in pink too! lol

1 Like Save    
elvis

I credit Daddy's early training: DO NOT TOUCH EVER WITHOUT HIM SUPERVISING (we were consequently reluctant to learn more, but we did), and the target practice as kids, for my healthy respect for guns today. BTW, Mom was a duck hunter and crack shot. She didn't need practice, a natural. She didn't like guns much, but liked wild game...and security. They're just tools.

If you think about it, the knife block on many of our kitchen counters is pretty scary-looking. It's a matter of familiarity.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Community How to Get Along With the Neighbors — and Live Happier at Home
Everyone wins when neighbors treat one another with kindness, consideration and respect
Full Story