McConnell's turn now

Ann

I've been looking forward to McConnell's calm demeanor in this next phase. This process needs some professionalism and I expect the presence of Roberts will also help ensure that.

I wonder if there will be witnesses (and reciprocity, if so)? If there are witnesses, I certainly think reciprocity is about as fair as it gets.

SaveComment67Like4
Comments (67)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
queenmargo

Mitch will take this nice and S.L.O.W. , lol, and watch the libs will want to hurry things along now.

Save    
Kathy

Can’t wait to hear Parnas documents or testimony under oath.

6 Likes Save    
lurker111

I'm hoping McConnell does his job and throws it all out. The crats no longer have a voice as far as I'm concerned. pelosi already admitted defeat.

Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Doubt that Mitch will go the slow route unless he is forced to by his own Senators to call witnesses. The trial starts next Tuesday which is just 2 weeks away from the SOTU. The "Left" would just looooove a slow walk through this huge field of cow patties.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

I'm hoping McConnell does his job and throws it all out.

That would work for me.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

I don't think Mitch will go slow, but I do think he will be methodical. That's his style. I think Mitch wants this over with ASAP because, based on the little he's said so far, I think he feels it's been quite a sham and he doesn't want the Senate to unnecessarily participate in sham type nonsense and give the nonsense credence. But he will do his job, and properly.

6 Likes Save    
Nana H

I'm not so sure McConnell has much of a roll at this point. The rules have been set. The first phase is the presentations from both sides , then the Senators questions, then perhaps a vote by Senators on witnesses. Grassely is the presiding officer and Roberts oversses the proceedings.

Like Pelosi during the impeachment hearings, I don't think he has that much of a role but I confess to not having read the procedural rules in full. What specific role does he have in the next few week ? Sincere question.

Save    
Ann

It's been a lot of years since the Clinton impeachment and I don't remember watching that one too much. This one, I am watching closely and I don't have long to wait for this phase to really get underway.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

I know the Senators, as a body, have great powers and of course in that role Mcconnell has his one vote but other than that I don't understand what additional responsibilities or controls he has now that proceedings have started.

Save    
Chi

"I'm hoping McConnell does his job and throws it all out."

That would backfire spectacularly for the Republicans, and demonstrate that they know he's guilty. Especially given the events of the last few days that destroy Trump's defense.

5 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

Can McConnell bar the testimony of Lev Parnas?

Save    
lurker111

Can McConnell bar the testimony of Lev Parnas?

Absolutely, and he has an obligation to do so. They only rule on the bogus impeachment.

Save    
Delilah66

He has no other role in the trial, Nana. His role is outside the “courtroom.”

Save    
Ann

"His role is outside the “courtroom.”"

Just like with Nancy in the House process, I'd agree this is/was far and away the greatest role of Mitch/Nancy.

Save    
Chi

I hope they talk about Guiliani's letter that says Trump is requesting the Biden investigation as a private citizen, not as the POTUS. Blows apart Trump's assertion that he requested the investigation as the POTUS concerned about corruption and proves he was abusing the office for personal political gain.

Imagine if Obama's personal lawyer had gone to another country the year before his re-election with a letter asking for that country to announce they are investigating Romney for corruption. The right would have thrown a fit yet seem to defend Trump doing the same thing.

4 Likes Save    
Nana H

The what I thought. McConnell has no role in the proceedings . Which is why this OP confused me I was getting the impression some thought he had a role in how the actual proceedings would be conducted I know he still will try and control the Republicans outside of the proceedings , just as Nancy did but that's it.

Lurker you are mistaken, McConnell himself cannot prevent the calling of any witnesses.

Save    
paprikash

The House did their thorough investigation—the way I now understand it, the Senate just listens to them explain their thorough investigation and then they can just throw it out without witnesses. It would be nice to end this bs quickly. These are not high crimes and misdemeanors. I’d love to hear Schiff, the whistle blower, and the Biden’s testify but, in reality, this whole sham is a waste of time and money.

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

Mitch? We'll see. Pelosi? Disgraced her career.

Save    
lurker111

Lurker you are mistaken, McConnell himself cannot prevent the calling of any witnesses.

He only has to accept the one fact witness from the impeachment.

Save    
Nana H

It's not up to him , it is up to a vote by all the Senators. He only gets one of the 100 votes

Save    
lurker111

We'll see. I doubt it will make it that far. There was no crime.

Save    
Nana H

Paprikash , barring some huge bombshell, Trump won't be removed however getting those vulnerable RepublIcans on the record with a vote on witnesses could play a role in whether the Republicans hold the Senate in 2020.

1 Like Save    
Ann

"The House did their thorough investigation—the way I now understand it, the Senate just listens to them explain their thorough investigation and then they can just throw it out without witnesses. It would be nice to end this bs quickly. These are not high crimes and misdemeanors. I’d love to hear Schiff, the whistle blower, and the Biden’s testify but, in reality, this whole sham is a waste of time and money."

Agreed.

5 Likes Save    
elvis

vgkg

Doubt that Mitch will go the slow route unless he is forced to by his own Senators to call witnesses. The trial starts next Tuesday which is just 2 weeks away from the SOTU. The "Left" would just looooove a slow walk through this huge field of cow patties.

Huh, a very atypical thing for "vgkg" to write, but okay.

So you say that "The Left" would love to "walk slowly through a huge field of cow manure".

Do enjoy that!

4 Likes Save    
Ann

"Paprikash , barring some huge bombshell, Trump won't be removed however getting those vulnerable RepublIcans on the record with a vote on witnesses could play a role in whether the Republicans hold the Senate in 2020. "

Oh Geez! I'm kind of thinking the Dems might have already done enough (and I'd argue damage rather than benefit) to their election chances with this entire impeachment fiasco. Maybe all members of Congress should just focus on the so called "impeachment" task at hand. Actually, my guess is that is what most Republicans are doing. I've no clue what the Dems are doing or have been attempting to calculate in terms of their "on the record with a vote".

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Elvis, I agree in that it is a very atypical comment.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

Ann, how will a vote for no witnesses play in your State for your sitting Senator ? How do you think a no vote might play for Collins? For that matter a yes vote by McSally. Do you think that would make their relections a little tougher or not play in at all?

I also think that the new information coming out yesterday and today will influence the public on witnesses, as it should.

Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Huh, a very atypical thing for "vgkg" to write, but okay.

So you say that "The Left" would love to "walk slowly through a huge field of cow manure".

I'll add my own "Huh" to your statement elvis. Atypical of me? Sounds like something I'd say. The "left" (which now also includes liberals, libertarians, moderates, indies, and true conservative repubs) can easily clean off their boots later, not so for the trumpublicans who shamelessly defend trump at every crooked turn (does posting trump with a small t convince you? nyuk).

3 Likes Save    
Ann

"Ann, how will a vote for no witnesses play in your State for your sitting Senator ? How do you think a no vote might play for Collins? For that matter a yes vote by McSally. Do you think that would make their relections a little tougher or not play in at all?"

My goodness, your persistence with this theme is, well, persistent. It isn't generating interest from others, but I will provide my opinion on this question and then, I'll leave the "on the record" topic to you.

I don't think how any of these three Senate elections play out in November will have a thing to do with how these Senators vote on whether they want witnesses in the Senate portion of this process. I think their vote on witnesses will be completely irrelevant to their reelection or loss.

But, on that topic of reelection - I think Gardner will likely lose his seat in my blue state, I think Collins will win her reelection in Maine, and I think there is about a 60/40 chance McSally will keep her seat in her state, which is also a state I think will be won by Trump in 2020 (as was the case in 2016). I will be sorry to see Gardner lose his seat if it happens (I think my state will also go for the Dem presidential candidate in 2020 just as last time), but I do think the GOP will pick up a seat in the Doug Jones race. I think Alabama and Colorado are the two most likely Senate seats in the country to flip, and I think that likelihood is high in both cases.

Save    
elvis

Sounds like something I'd say.

Mark my words, that may be true.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Dems only need 4 seats to take the Senate. If the Senate doesn’t conduct a fair trial they stand to lose 4 seats easily. Most Americans want to see a fair trial and we will be watching. This is historical.

5 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Yes elvis, Mark(ed) my words too, it's good to be my old self again after a month of absence and a week of a temp alias. Hope it sticks (thx Houzz), still need to center my all seeing nebula though.

1 Like Save    
catkinZ8a

Nana H

Paprikash , barring some huge bombshell, Trump won't be removed however getting those vulnerable RepublIcans on the record with a vote on witnesses could play a role in whether the Republicans hold the Senate in 2020.

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

Thanks for your response but I disagree, I think their votes will play out in 2020.

As far as this

"My goodness, your persistence with this theme is, well, persistent"

No more persistent that your ever present theme on how this impeachment and Pelosis' handling of it will bury the Dems.

Save    
Nana H

80,000 votes over three States and no hard evidence he has expanded his base, quite the contrary .

Save    
Ann

I love the shut up or face imprisonment part! LOL!

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

Forget it...got it! As archaic as the British Parliamentary system in some ways.

Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

The Apprentice had many more viewers than that and still got canned.

6 Likes Save    
Delilah66

“My goodness, your persistence with this theme is, well, persistent. It isn't generating interest from others, but I will provide my opinion on this question and then, I'll leave the "on the record" topic to you.”

Now that’s an oft repeated idea by the right. Cede before their last opinion is rejected like the others. What if trump had done that?

Save    
Nana H

Wonder if that applies to outside the Chamber.

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

It isn't generating interest from others

There's interest, and seen as an obvious consequence of the actions Trump/Team Trump in Ukraine and elsewhere. So obvious that one wonders why the topic would be dismissed and/or considered inconsequential.

The 2018 mid-term elections saw control of the House change, and the actions in the Senate in 2020 have the potential of giving the Democrats that chamber in November.

Keep talking, Lev!

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

Vgkg...how I've missed you!

3 Likes Save    
Ann

Nana, the Senators can't talk during the Senate portion. They seriously face imprisonment if they do.

"Senators are not allowed to speak during the proceedings. But after each team presents its case, senators have an opportunity to question the lawyers by submitting their questions to the chief justice of the Supreme Court."

Interestingly, I just this new article about what I think is one of your "three" states, literally moments before reading your comment.

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/marquette-poll-trump-approval-rating-ticks-up-to-new-high-of-48-percent-in-wisconsin/

ETA: Nana, I now see you figured out the shut up part but we overlapped.

Save    
Ann

"Now that’s an oft repeated idea by the right. Cede before their last opinion is rejected like the others."

Lol Delilah. I expect many might disagree with my guesses about individual Senate races. I certainly "cede" to you or anyone rejecting my guesses and making your own, if you so choose. But to actually know the results, we'll all have to wait until November, at which point, we'll all know exactly what happened (unless a few undecided counts/challenges still remain past November).

Save    
Ann

"Wonder if that applies to outside the Chamber. "

The "rule" applies to in the Chamber, during the proceeding.

Save    
Ann

Meanwhile, as the somber delivery of the impeachment articles happened and Roberts was sworn in, the Dow goes up another couple hundred points and will close in a few minutes at yet another new high, and not too far from Dow 30,000.

Save    
jerzeegirl (FL zone 9B)(9b)

What goes up, must come down.

Oh and by the way the Dow is not the market.

Save    
Nana H

At this level a hundred or so points is almost flat. Sad that people who profess to have a STEM background don' t understand percentages vs absolute numbers.

Save    
Ann

"At this level a hundred or so points is almost flat. Sad that people who profess to have a STEM background don' t understand percentages vs absolute numbers. "

Ummm, 269 points and nearly 1% in a single day - "flat"? LOL! Maybe a STEM background would be useful to others:) Tough day, today?

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

vgkg

Yes elvis, Mark(ed) my words too, it's good to be my old self again after a month of absence and a week of a temp alias. Hope it sticks (thx Houzz), still need to center my all seeing nebula though.

LOL- I am trying to put 2 and 2 together.

vgkg- does that mean you were Mark as your temp alias?

1 Like Save    
Ann

"80,000 votes over three States and no hard evidence he has expanded his base, quite the contrary . "

And, back to this comment for a second. I noted earlier I had just run into an article about a brand new Wisconsin Marquette poll. I clicked into the article and got some info about Trump's polling (and trends) in Wisconsin. Here are a couple charts from today's article pertaining to Trump's numbers in Wisconsin. This recent Wisconsin poll was conducted 1/8-1/12, but I liked seeing the Wisconsin one year trend (for Trump job approval) and the 5 month trend (for the economy).

1 Like Save    
Ann

"Oh and by the way the Dow is not the market. "

Okay, what is your favorite index to follow? The S&P gained .84%, the Nasdaq gained 1.06%, the Russell 2000 gained 1.36% and the NYSE American Composite Index gained .99%. Or, you can check out your favorite, if it isn't listed here.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Trump didn’t do anything for the market that wasn’t on track before he took office. The only difference is he caused chaos in the process.

Save    
queenmargo

Trump didn’t do anything for the market that wasn’t on track before he took office.

5 Likes Save    
lurker111

Trump didn’t do anything for the market that wasn’t on track before he
took office.

And 91% of democrats disapprove.

1 Like Save    
elvis

True, it only lasted for 13 years.

Hm.

2 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

It's the final season that counts.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

It's the final season that counts.

With Arnold? lol

"you're terminated"

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

Professionalism? The guy that refused to let a president with 10 months in his term even nominate a supreme court justice? Nah and never.

1 Like Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Doesn't matter, same audience watching a tired show.

Save    
queenmargo

Nope vgkg- the show just wasn't the same without Trump.

2 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

elvis

Hm.

That show must that thought it was a monarchy or something.

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

Kathy

Trump
didn’t do anything for the market that wasn’t on track before he took
office. The only difference is he caused chaos in the process.

Because surely Obama would have negotiated the China deals and all the other deals Trump has.

And make the U.S. not dependent on the M.E. for oil.

3 Likes Save    
elvis

Very politely, of course, and absolutely no rush. And only if no one minded. And only if it was convenient for everybody. And only if first Congress agreed, and all details were released to the public ahead of time, and then only if polls indicated that it was okay. With everybody.

2 Likes Save    
Iris GW

And make the U.S. not dependent on the M.E. for oil.

Then why do we have troops in Saudi Arabia?

The deployments began after what the Saudis said were Iranian attacks on oil facilities in September 2019.

Save    
HU-885118952

Iris, our energy independence and troops in SA are 2 different matters.

Save    
Iris GW

Then why do we have troops in Saudi Arabia? What are we helping them protect?

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life Turn Off the Video Games and Turn On Your Kid's Creativity
Going nuts planning summer activities? Kids overdosing on screen time? It may be time to foster more self-directed play
Full Story
My Houzz My Houzz: Once a Rebel Capitol, Now a Storied Home
Painstaking work turns an 1809 building with many past lives into a homey, inviting residence for a Louisiana couple
Full Story
My Houzz My Houzz: Duplex Now a Bright and Spacious Single-Family Home
An open-concept design turns small, dark rooms into a contemporary space for a growing family in Montreal
Full Story