SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uscroy

Toe-kicks in a closet?

uscpsycho
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

My closet builder suggested toe-kicks in the closet around the perimeter (not in an island) which sounded like a good idea. But after looking at tons of photos I've noticed that you rarely ever see toe-kicks in closets. Usually you there is a base trim that is flush and not recessed. Is there a reason that is more common in closets than toe-kicks?

I realize that toe-kicks are most necessary when you are standing at a counter or sink, but kitchens still have toe-kicks on walls that are all cabinets with no sink/counter. So it's not an absolute.

The only reasons I can think of for not having a toe-kick in a closet are that it is more expensive to install (I have no idea if that is the case) so people don't do it since it is not absolutely necessary. Or people prefer the look of a flush base rather than recessed base. Is there some other reason?

I read this in a blog on a closet website which I found interesting "You have a contemporary home design theme and like the ‘floating on air’ look, but want a floor mounted system. This can be accomplished in a number of ways, such as a recessed toe kick with black molding." I have a contemporary home and like floating features, but this sounds to me like it might look cheap. Thoughts about this option?

Comments (10)