Trump Campaign Focuses on 2 Rivals (Neither Is the Front-Runner)

dublinbay z6 (KS)

Fascinating look into the campaign thinking of Trump and his aides in this article. See what you think.

-----------------------------

"President Donald Trump’s advisers see Sen. Bernie Sanders as their ideal Democratic opponent in November and have been doing what they can to elevate his profile and bolster his chances of winning the Iowa caucuses, according to Republicans familiar with the plans.

But their new focus on Sanders, I-Vt., comes at a time the president himself has been closely watching Michael R. Bloomberg, a late arrival to the Democratic primary race, unnerved by his campaign spending and his suggestion he might spend $1 billion of his own fortune on opposing Trump, even if he does not emerge as the nominee.

[. . .]

Over the past few weeks, aides to the president . . . see attacking [Sanders] as a way to excite his base and draw attention away from other Democrats.

[. . .]

“Wow! Crazy Bernie Sanders is surging in the polls, looking very good against his opponents in the Do Nothing Party,” Trump posted Sunday on Twitter, after a Des Moines Register poll showed Sanders leading in the state. “So what does this all mean? Stay tuned!”

“It means you’re going to lose,” Sanders tweeted in response.

At a rally last week in Toledo, Ohio, the president singled out Sanders for his criticism of Trump’s Jan. 3 drone strike that killed Gen. Qassem Soleimani at Baghdad International Airport.

“Bernie is going up,” Trump said. “He’s surging. Crazy Bernie is surging.”

Most of the president’s advisers see Sanders, if he were to become the nominee, as helping to solve Trump’s problem with suburban voters in states like Virginia, where the 2018 midterm elections showed that moderate and independent voters have recoiled from the president’s behavior, controversies or policy positions.

But some have concerns that Sanders might be more durable in the Rust Belt states, like Michigan and Wisconsin, with high concentrations of white working-class voters that emerged as trouble spots for the president in the 2018 elections.

The advisers say that in their voter research, Sanders registers with his own supporters as authentic — the same quality that Trump’s base ascribed to the president in 2016. They view Sanders as a more difficult opponent than Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., but less of a challenge than Biden.

[. . .]

In recent days, Trump’s team has been interested in focusing attention on Sanders’ comments after the strike that killed Soleimani, arguing that he will appear too dovish for the general electorate.

. . .Tim Murtaugh, a Trump campaign spokesman, said in a statement [,]“. . . over the last two weeks, Bernie Sanders has proved himself to be dangerous — not as an opponent but as a potential president — by excusing and appeasing Iran’s aggression and belligerence.”

“Bernie Sanders would not protect American interests as president and his weakness is something that begs to be highlighted,” he added.

Sanders’ campaign manager, Faiz Shakir, pointed out that Trump ran as the candidate who “would stop the endless wars” and is now attacking the senator as weak. He added of Trump’s efforts to tar Sanders: “There’s no ‘there’ there.”

As for Bloomberg, the president has made clear he is aware of the money Bloomberg, a former New York mayor, is pouring into the race — especially into the attack ads hitting him in 118 media markets across the country. . . .

Mini Mike Bloomberg is spending a lot of money on False Advertising,” Trump tweeted, going on to misrepresent his role in the health care debate. “I was the person who saved Pre-Existing Conditions in your Healthcare, you have it now, while at the same time winning the fight to rid you of the expensive, unfair and very unpopular Individual Mandate.”

[. . .]

. . . the Trump campaign has waved away concerns about Bloomberg’s spending, arguing that it will only encourage Republican megadonors like Sheldon G. Adelson to spend more money for Trump.

[. . .]

Campaign finance experts, however, said the Trump campaign and the Republican National Committee were underestimating the effect of Bloomberg’s cash infusion into the race and that Trump was right to be concerned.

If Bloomberg does this, it will be unprecedented in American history,” said Fred Wertheimer, founder and president of Democracy 21, a nonprofit watchdog group. “They will probably have more organizers than the RNC will have. They will have loads of people in the battleground states, they’ll have TV ads, they’ll have digital ads.”

“It will neutralize any financial advantages he thought he had,” Wertheimer said, referring to the president, “and if they’re not worried, they’re kidding themselves.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-campaign-focuses-2-rivals-131728804.html

-----------------------------

That opening sentence says it all: "President Donald Trump’s advisers see Sen. Bernie Sanders as their ideal Democratic opponent in November and have been doing what they can to elevate his profile and bolster his chances of winning the Iowa caucuses, according to Republicans familiar with the plans."

The games politicians play!

Kate

SaveComment23Like
Comments (23)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lurker111

Bill, Barrack, Barry, Biden, Booti???, Bloomberg, Beth, Bernie, Booker, Benghazi...My goodness.

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

You win--the irrelevant comment of the month!

Kate

7 Likes Save    
socks(10a)

Excellent point, lurker. Really brilliant.

Save    
catkinZ8a

Oh PLEASE! Let it be Bernie!

Part One Exposing Communists working for Sanders' campaign:

https://twitter.com/JamesOKeefeIII/status/1217083949693968385

Part Two:

https://twitter.com/JamesOKeefeIII/status/1217446341674057730

More to come...

1 Like Save    
zmith

So, Bernie Sanders must be the only Dem candidate Trump's team thinks he can beat.

Save    
lurker111

Yes, they are all irrelevant. :^)

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Biden is the dream candidate. He's very impeachable.

3 Likes Save    
foodonastump

I’m still curious to see what happens when Bloomberg gets more into the conversation. I wish he had jumped in earlier.

It’s interesting to me seeing people who in 2016 said they’d have considered Bernie over Trump, now hoping for him because Trump will beat him more easily. It never really made sense to me back then, and now I’m guessing the 2016 claims were more anti-HC than actually pro Bernie.

While I see last night being described as boring (I barely got to see any) I’m hopeful the lack of major infighting is strategic, to minimize back-pedaling when the time comes to join in solid support of one candidate.

I know it’s a long shot but I hope Bloomberg’s money gets spent on his own campaign. Hard for me to see anyone else in the ring with the bully.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Bill, Barrack, Barry, Biden, Booti???, Bloomberg, Beth, Bernie, Booker, Benghazi...My goodness.

Yep, any one of them B better than Trump.

9 Likes Save    
lurker111

lol^^^Bloomberg is running on hate for Trump. He can't MAGA! None of the crats can MAGA! :^)

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Hate for Trump... works for me.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Of course.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

The soda ban was a little silly; the abortion pill claim misleading at best.

(edit - this refers to 2 memes now gone, leaving comment in case they pop back up.)

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Well I guess this thread is headed to being devoid of conversation beyond one liners and memes. Enjoy!

1 Like Save    
Joaniepoanie

Bernie and Bloomberg now? Got impeached over Biden....oops!

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Thank you, food, for your contributions.

The strategy of certain Trumpsters is belittlement and sneers.

And any poster linking to James O'Keefe (of the infamously doctored PP videotapes) instantly loses all credibility!

No one else has any thoughts about the revelations in the OP about what Trump and his campaign advisors are up to--like how they are trying to promote Bernie's candidacy because they think he is the most beatable of the Dem. candidates? Trying to manipulate the 2020 election domestically while they "encourage" foreign countries to interfere externally? Quite a comprehensive plan there!

Kate

1 Like Save    
zmith

Hi, Kate. I don't consider it to be such a "revelation" in the tactics Trump's team will employ to smear any potential candidate. The fact that they believe Sanders will be "the ideal" candidate is likely so they can paint him as a communist and spread fear among the uninformed voters.

2 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

That's hilarious!

Bernie paints himself.

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

If Bloomberg does this, it will be unprecedented in American history,” said Fred Wertheimer, founder and president of Democracy 21, a nonprofit watchdog group. “They will probably have more organizers than the RNC will have. They will have loads of people in the battleground states, they’ll have TV ads, they’ll have digital ads.”

“It will neutralize any financial advantages he thought he had,” Wertheimer said, referring to the president, “and if they’re not worried, they’re kidding themselves.”

I resent the money flooded into politics by the Mercers and Koch interests, and am very uncomfortable with the amount Bloomberg proposes to spend. Our government shouldn't depend on the political interests of billionaires -- but it does, thanks to the Citizens United decision.

4 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Mini-Mike must be bored silly.

Save    
foodonastump

Agreed, Nancy. Speaking of money, how much of the 80-ish post inauguration rallies are we paying for?

Save    
Nana H

It's very apparent from the poster here who the Trump supprters want to see as the candidate and who they don't.

Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Bloomberg won't be the nominee and he knows it. What he plans to do is to support the eventual nominee and continue to spend another billion beating Trump over the head up until the election. He will be joined in his efforts by Steyer, Republican classic organizations, and others.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Your First House So You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story
Life Get a Bird's-Eye View of America's Housing Patterns
See the big picture of how suburban developments are changing the country's landscape, with aerial photos and ideas for the future
Full Story
Color How to Spruce Up Your Neutrals for Spring
We love our neutrals, but with spring in the air, they might just need a little lift
Full Story