Senate doesn't have Enough Votes To Dismiss Impeachment Charges

dublinbay z6 (KS)

It would have been the least painful way for Repubs. to get rid of those impeachment charges--just vote NOT to have a hearing. Then everything would just disappear!

Unfortunately for Senate Repubs., there are enough Repubs. resisting that move--so they will have to hold the hearing.

------------------------------

"President Donald Trump called over the weekend for an “outright dismissal” of the impeachment charges against him — but several Republican senators, including members of the party’s leadership, have dismissed Trump’s suggestion, saying there wouldn’t be enough support for such a measure.

Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), the fourth-ranking GOP senator, told reporters on Monday that “our members generally are not interested in a motion to dismiss,” The Washington Post reported.

Blunt added there “certainly aren’t” enough votes for such a motion, which would require 51 votes.

Donald J. Trump✔@realDonaldTrump

Many believe that by the Senate giving credence to a trial based on the no evidence, no crime, read the transcripts, “no pressure” Impeachment Hoax, rather than an outright dismissal, it gives the partisan Democrat Witch Hunt credibility that it otherwise does not have. I agree!

Republicans hold a 53-seat majority in the Senate, but several prominent GOP senators, including Mitt Romney of Utah, Susan Collins of Maine, Rob Portman of Ohio and Lamar Alexander of Tennessee, have expressed opposition to the idea of an immediate dismissal of the impeachment charges against Trump.

“I would vote against a motion to dismiss immediately. Absolutely,” Collins told reporters on Monday.

“We’re taking an oath to be impartial,” Alexander told The New York Times. “And that to me means we have a constitutional duty to hear the case, ask our questions and then decide whether we want additional evidence in terms of documents or witnesses.”

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and other top Republicans have indicated their preference for a vote of acquittal ― rather than dismissal ― as a way to more strongly vindicate the president, who has been impeached by the Democratic-led House on charges of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress.

[. . .]

“Our members ... think both sides need to be heard,” Blunt said on Monday of the trial. “They believe the president needs to be heard, for the first time, in a fair setting.”

But, as The New York Times noted, Republicans have not tossed out the possibility that a vote to dismiss the impeachment charges could come later in the proceedings."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dismissal-of-impeachment-charges-gop-senate-120711893.html

----------------------------------

Is McConnell getting the message? Even his own people--Senate Repubs.--don't have faith in their "leader."

Kate

SaveComment33Like1
Comments (33)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Iris GW

Step one to saving their bacon. Let's see how they do on Step 2.

Save    
Chi

I think it would be a huge mistake for the Senate to try to dismiss the case. The vast majority of Americans want a fair trial, and believe Trump should allow his aides to testify.

4 Likes Save    
paprikash

I’m hoping for a trial and witnesses.

3 Likes Save    
zmith

It'll be interesting to see if they actually call witnesses.

Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,maifleur,others(8a)

He’s so dumb he thinks that dismissing the trial would make him look more innocent than hearing the evidence and acquitting would.

And he clearly has no interest in protecting the other members of his party, who would have to answer to how they could know there was no good case without ever having seen the evidence.

Even in a criminal trial, the judge has to see what evidence there is and isn’t before s/he decides to dismiss. S/he can’t just bang the gavel and say “la la la I can’t hear you case dismissed.”

2 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

To dismiss the case just adds to the optics of probable guilt. I want to see a trial and witnesses.

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

I’m hoping for a trial and witnesses.

We agree on something.

1 Like Save    
chipotle

He’s so dumb he thinks that dismissing the trial would make him look more innocent than hearing the evidence and acquitting would.

Well it would in the eyes of his blind supporters.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

I think he is pushing for dismissal because he sees that Pelosi's strategy worked and that the Senate may very likely vote for at least a couple of witnesses.

Regardless of what he has convinced his loyalists of , he knows that Bolton's testimony could be extremely harmful AND that Joe Biden's testimony will not uncover anything to support his Ukraine shake down.

Never mind what he says, KNOW that Trump knows the truth and he will do what it takes to prevent witnesses.

6 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Might have something to do with info such as this:

Polling from Hart Research found that 63 percent of voters in Arizona, Colorado, Maine and North Carolina would react unfavorably if their senator voted against calling witnesses or subpoenaing documents during the Senate impeachment trial. Another poll from Morning Consult found 57 percent of voters believe the Senate should call additional witnesses. That includes 71 percent of Democrats, 56 percent of Independents and 40 percent of Republicans.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/13/chuck-schumer-trump-impeachment-trial-097296

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Some of those Senators have a 2020 election.

Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Trump knows what he has done, and has no desire that more details be revealed.

3 Likes Save    
loonlakelaborcamp(3 A/B)

I think we should be re-reviewing the past witnesses and allow the RepublicaRepublicans to ask questions freely of them.

I also believe the Chief Justice should stike down hearsay "evidence" and see what is left standing.

Finally, I think Schiff and the Whistleblower need to be questioned to make certain there was no collusion or conspiracy there.

5 Likes Save    
Chi

I also believe the Chief Justice should stike down hearsay "evidence" and see what is left standing.

Is that the right's strategy? Don't allow the actual witnesses to testify and then try to strike down hearsay evidence?

3 Likes Save    
loonlakelaborcamp(3 A/B)

Hearsay is not evidence. And I already mentioned the witnesses SHOULD be questioned. When the House voted to close their hearings,they in effect rested their case.

Save    
Chi

They ignored subpoenas. Court would have been the next step and that would have dragged on for months or years. Dems did the only thing they could to keep moving when Republicans ignored the summons.

3 Likes Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Finally, I think Schiff and the Whistleblower need to be questioned to make certain there was no collusion or conspiracy there.

Fine, then also question McConnell and Trump & Attorneys to see if there is any collusion or cover-up conspiracy, being as they are "on the same page".

Hopefully there will be at least 4 Republican Senators who will take their Oath seriously, out of 54 of them it looks like that's all who will take it seriously.

2 Likes Save    
paprikash

I think the Biden’s should testify. If Trump asked Ukraine to investigate the 2016 corruption, these 2 may have something to add. In any case, asking a country to whom we are giving lots of money for assurance that there is no corruption shouldn’t be that big of a whoop. The idea that Trump was asking because he was worried about sleepy Joe next November is laughable; Trump knows he can beat Biden much more easily in 2020 than Hillary in 2016.

Save    
foodonastump

I’d be fine dismissing much of the hearsay evidence if all the first hand evidence was allowed to be seen and heard. Just fine with it.

8 Likes Save    

The House heard testimony from witnesses to the Ukraine scandal -- somehow that fact is continuously ignored.

2 Likes Save    
Chi

Exactly, FOAS.

If Trump asked Ukraine to investigate the 2016 corruption, these 2 may have something to add.

If the Bidens are required to testify as the subject of the investigation, then Trump who ordered the investigation should also be required. Who knows better what happened than Trump himself?

1 Like Save    
vgkg (Va Z-7)

Trump testify? When pigs fly. He'd have a only a few words to repeat for every question -

"It was a perfect call" and "I take the 5th".

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Paprikash, why would Trump ask a country be was worried was corrupt to investigate an American citizen rather than have his own DOJ to it ? Why would you trust a corrupt government to conduct an impartial and professional investigation.

Why just the Biden's and nothing or nobody else?

I think Trump will do everything in his power to stop any and all witnesses that have direct knowledge. There is a reason for that.

4 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Our president is doing exactly what he's always done, when it comes to being confronted over his actions, and I don't see him changing his ways any time soon.

Save    
Delilah66

I think Lucy Baines and Hillary Duff should testify.

Save    
cattyles

Save    
Iris GW

From the above linked article:

The first is to deny facts.

A second tactic is to deflect attention from the facts, also known as “whataboutism.”

A third practice is the dissemination of lies.

A cumulative effect of all these tactics is nihilistic debasement of the very concept of truth. [...] is not trying to win the argument; instead, his propaganda machine aims to convince that there is no truth, no right and wrong, or no data or evidence, only relativism, point of view and biased opinion.

Sound like Trump? The article is about Putin.

2 Likes Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

Yes. Chaos and distrust of public entities is the point.

2 Likes Save    

The disinformation from Team Trump has been CONSTANT.

1 Like Save    
cattyles

3 Likes Save    
zmith

Great list, Cattyles. All the zero's in Clinton's column show he HAD NOTHING to HIDE!

2 Likes Save    
soupgirl53

The witnesses called in the House provided direct testimony of what they heard and what they witnessed. That is not hearsay.

5 Likes Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Most Popular Why Men Really Do Need a Cave
Don't dismiss cars, bars and the kegerator — a man space of some kind is important for emotional well-being at home
Full Story
Most Popular The Inevitable Future of Drones Around Your Home
As Google joins the push for airborne deliveries, it seems only a matter of time before neighborhoods are buzzing with drones. Is that OK?
Full Story
Decorating Guides 12 Questions Your Interior Designer Should Ask You
The best decorators aren’t dictators — and they’re not mind readers either. To understand your tastes, they need this essential info
Full Story