It Doesn't Matter

Iris GW

Well, if it matters to you than when we kill people we do so for a good reason, Trump is here to tell you it doesn't matter.

In the 10 days since it carried out the drone strike that killed Maj. Gen. Qassim Suleimani, the Trump administration has been struggling to draft an after-the-fact narrative to justify it. On Monday, President Trump put an end to that hash of explanations. “It doesn’t really matter,” he tweeted, “because of his horrible past.”

Until that message on Twitter, the administration had insisted in various ways that General Suleimani, Iran’s most important military official, was planning myriad “imminent” attacks. The unraveling of the explanations accelerated over the weekend after Mr. Trump said four embassies were under immediate threat, a charge that his own administration could not back.

With the president’s latest utterance, he bolstered critics of a strike that had raised fears of an all-out war with Iran and had led Iraq to call on the United States to leave the country. And, the critics wondered, was it reckless and irresponsible for the United States to kill Iran’s second most important leader if the reason did not “really matter”?

“Trump has finally admitted the true motivation for the killing of Suleimani who had American blood on his hands: retaliation,” said Representative Ro Khanna, Democrat of California, who is sponsoring legislation to prevent the administration from spending federal funds on unauthorized military action in Iran.

Mr. Khanna and other congressional Democrats, who have complained about having been left in the dark both before and after the drone strike, interpreted Mr. Trump’s tweet as proof that he must seek authorization from Congress for any future strikes.

“I’ll say it again: THE AMERICAN PEOPLE DON’T WANT ANOTHER WAR BASED ON FALSE INTELLIGENCE,” Representative Barbara Lee, Democrat of California, tweeted.

The administration’s explanations for the strike have been shifting from day to day, and Monday was no exception. Mr. Trump’s tweet came in response to unflattering articles about how Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper appeared to contradict the president’s claim that he believed there was an imminent threat on four American embassies in the Middle East.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/13/us/politics/trump-iran.html

Again for those who would say that non-Trump supporters somehow favor/support Suleimani, the point is that our government should have valid reasons for initiating actions that might pull American citizens into harm's way.

SaveComment24Like
Comments (24)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Nana H

Reporting is that no State Department security officials or specific Embassies were given any notice of an imminent attack. Pretty sloppy given the attacks were imminent and supposedly the targets known.

As I said on another thread if they can't tell the truth could they at least tell the same lie.

7 Likes Save    
zmith

I find the latest change in story from the WH to be quite curious. Sunday on Meet the Press, Chuck Todd and one of his guests (I don't remember which one) were discussing reasons why the WH didn't have to provide an explanation, and how they were perplexed by the variety of explanations being handed out by Trump and his team.

Then suddenly Monday (or was it Sunday evening?) Trump is saying he didn't need a reason. It's not curious to me at all. Trump evidently got the idea from the media.

2 Likes Save    
leona_2008

I wonder if the loved ones of the 176 innocent lost lives would agree that it doesn't really matter. Can we get a raise of hands of anyone here who would say a war with Iran doesn't really matter?

Can we get a raise of hands of those here who think trump would learn -- would care enough to learn -- from this mistake? As if we needed more proof of how unfit trump is for the office he holds.

Let's hope that at least his handlers learn not to suggest anything to trump that they don't really want him to do. Let's hope they finally realize, or should I say accept, that trump isn't operating with a conscience.

2 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

The Obama administration called the ongoing threats from terrorist "continuing eminent attacks."

To his credit, Obama used lethal force to kill some of the known practitioners of "continuing eminent attacks," just as President Trump did.

2 Likes Save    
Iris GW

adopted, were you ok with any statements about overseas drone attacks by the Obama administration that it didn't really matter why they chose to kill someone?

This is just shoddy work, in my opinion. I'm not saying that the guy wasn't worthy of what happened, that was acknowledged. But why now and were consequences considered? That is the point of concern.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

The left is confused. They think the "story keeps changing" when in fact, there were many reasons. We might even learn of a few more.

Save    
Iris GW

lurker, I appreciate your attempts to obfuscate the discussion, but Trump and his administration have proven that they can't agree on a definitive reason. Indeed, that is the very point of this post. Trump finally gave up the effort of trying to be logical.

4 Likes Save    
leona_2008

Slap to forehead. trump said eminent, not imminent. Maybe he really is a stable genius!

(Insert image of Mr. Ed.)

3 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Until that message on Twitter, the administration had insisted in various ways that General Suleimani, Iran’s most important military official, was planning myriad “imminent” attacks. The unraveling of the explanations accelerated over the weekend after Mr. Trump said four embassies were under immediate threat, a charge that his own administration could not back."

Nothing to unravel. Whether it was an "imminent attack" or a "continuing imminent attack" as Obama called it is irrelevant. Dems tried to play "gotcha" without understanding that terrorists who pose a "continuing" imminent attack are legitimate targets for Trump just as they were for Obama.

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

I think I see a bunch of people trying to cover for a man who went with his gut and now are reaching for things like 'but Obama said' to make it look like he actually thought about what he was doing.

5 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Eminent mind (or is it imminent?)? Still waiting for evidence.

1 Like Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

“It doesn’t really matter,” he tweeted, “because of his horrible past.”

Trump leaves himself wide open to retaliation with this statement.

And if Trump were to be swindled out of millions of dollars, we can calmly state, “It doesn’t really matter because of his horrible past.”

6 Likes Save    
Nana H

I honestly think if Trump had just told the truth. "We had a chance to take him out so we did" he would have gotten some blow back from Congress but it would basically be over by now.

As with just about every other mess of his making he doesn't think anything through. Just knee jerk and then a messy clean up that just makes matters worse.

6 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

The Teddy Roosevelt quote is about as far from a description of cowardly Trump as can be. At least Teddy got his feet muddy fighting in a war. Trumpie, not so much....

3 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

The credit belongs to the man . . . whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood

That leaves out Trump.

4 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"I think I see a bunch of people trying to cover for a man who went with his gut and now are reaching for things like 'but Obama said' to make it look like he actually thought about what he was doing."

President Trump doesn't need anyone "covering" for him. He ended the threat, something his predecessor opted not to do.

Save    
bob_cville

>> The credit belongs to the man . . . whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood

> That leaves out Trump.

Unless that is what his awful orange make-up is actually made from. Eww. :-)

2 Likes Save    
Iris GW

He ended the threat, something his predecessor opted not to do.

LOL - he killed one man, and practically ignited a war in the process. Luckily for us, the Iranians chose not to be impulsive.

3 Likes Save    
tormato

Delete the press, and chuck Todd from your life. You'll feel better.

Save    
Iris GW

Delete Fox News from your life and you'll be a lot more at ease.

2 Likes Save    
Delilah66

"He ended the threat,"

Who's writing his Nobel Peace Prize nomination? Putin? Ordan? Kim? Xi? Al-Assad? Maduro?

1 Like Save    
Delilah66

Iris, is your face red now?

Save    
Joaniepoanie

What threat? As usual, a made up one, like the “crisis” at the border causing the government shut down?

Save    
barncatz

We don't know that Iran is finished responding, do we?

I think both "pro and con" arguments can be supported.

What makes Trump unfit to be President of such a large and diverse country, to me, is the demonizing, hate language, lies and smear images of those who think the assassination was unwise or wrong.

Trump never has opponents. If you disagree in the slightest, you are a "bad guy". He consigns opponents to hell.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: New Shingle-Style Home Doesn’t Reveal Its Age
Meticulous attention to period details makes this grand shorefront home look like it’s been perched here for a century
Full Story
Modern Architecture Why Authenticity in Architecture Matters
Is your home's exterior making a promise it doesn't keep? Learn why integrity and consistency are essential for architectural success
Full Story
Life You Said It: ‘Just Because I’m Tiny Doesn’t Mean I Don’t Go Big’
Changing things up with space, color and paint dominated the design conversations this week
Full Story