kitchen sink recommendations

pr705
4 years ago

Please suggest a kitchen sink brand you love steel or fireclay

Comments (26)

• M
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hands down, Rachiele.com. It's no contest. Dino builds the best sinks, and he also happily works with you to make sure your specific needs are met. Even if you don't buy from him, I'd strongly encourage you to read everything on his site. He is very generous with giving you 20+ years of experience in what does and does not work well with sinks. There are a lot of details that make the difference between a good sink and an awesome sink, and this is hard to spot unless you have bothered reading up on it.

Having said that, if you buy the world's best sink, you have to pay for it. It costs just as much as any of your other major appliances. You won't make a mistake doing so, but you simply might not be prepared to spend this much money, even if it is one of your most frequently used appliances.

If so, there are lots of other great off-the-shelf sinks out there. They don't hit every single checklist item, but they come close. Tell us more about your kitchen, the way you use your sink, your budget, and your must-have features, and we might be able to direct you.

• ryburns26
    4 years ago

Kraus. You can't go wrong. Build.com and lowes have the best prices. Really great for the money.

• Related Discussions

Double bowl kitchen sink recommendations

Q

Comments (3)
    I have a similar question but am about to post separately because I need a 30" cabinet and my double sink options are more limited as a result. I also want a 65/35 or 70/30 or even 80/20 because I want a bigger main basin and a breakaway sink for a 2nd cook next to it. For what it's worth we have a 50/50 double sink now, each basin 14x16 and around 8 deep, and it's fine but just slightly narrow for our bigger pans, which is why I want to move to at least 60/40 if not more uneven. Another reason I want a double sink is that we tend not to dishwash plastic and it builds up in the sink so without a double basin it slows us down between hand washings of plastic in one of the basins. Not an ideal reason to choose a sink (to let dishes pile up!) but a realistic thing to consider.
    ...See More

Need suggestions for new kitchen sink

Q

Comments (2)
    This stainless Ukinox sink has an integrated faucet deck and has a couple of nice accessories. ukinox-d810-undermount-sink-8-deep The Kohler Indio is another option and is available with 1-3 pre-drilled holes.
    ...See More

Any recommendations for a 40-48” kitchen sink with offset drain?

Q

Comments (2)
    I have used Julien (Home Refinements) Sinks in 2 houses and I am very happy with them https://www.homerefinements.ca/en_us/indoor-living/sinks/stainless-steel I have a 30" sink with the integrated 18" drainboard and right-rear drain. I also like that it is 18" front to back and 10" high. They offer many different sizes and configurations.
    ...See More

Recommendations on single bowl stainless kitchen sink 16 or 18 guage?

Q

Comments (2)
    I have been very happy with my Kraus single bowl stainless sinks. I have the KHU100-32 and KBU15. Going on 6 years and still look good. Both are 16 guage and both came with grids.
    ...See More
  • ci_lantro
    4 years ago

PR705, how much do you want to spend? A couple hundred dollars or $5k?

• M Miller
    4 years ago

Not fireclay. Too much of a risk of crazing. And to expand on what ci_lantro wrote, the everpresent recommendations on this forum for Rachiele sinks always omit the salient fact that they cost several thousand. To start.

I’d ask what is the budget here, and provide recommendations based on that budget, but won’t bother. Typically OPs as brief as this one is, with no sentences or punctuation, signify that the OP will not be returning.

• jhmarie
    4 years ago

I love my cast iron Kohler Whitehaven apron front sink. Others prefer stainless or other. If you go with a good brand in your preferred style you should do fine.

• pr705
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Dear all , thank you so much for your detailed posts. I will try to add more details about my project. So , to start with I am looking at starting a kitchen remodel, just started researching and collecting information. We cook all our meals and thus use the kitchen and hence the sink a lot. I currently have a double sink. I noticed that the trend now is to have one single large sink. I use my second sink for drying dishes ( which dishwasher might have left wet). But I totally see why the single large sink is so popular. Right now Inam trying to find out how much budget I need for a high quality sink. Now this is a bit grey so by high quality I mean something - obviously it should be durable as my dishes are heavy-stainless steel , something that will not get scratched, dented and look good for a long time. My kitchen is a decent size around 18 by 15 foot so size is not an issue.

• pr705
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Also , I forgot to mention that I have seen photos of a chef sink and would like to hear any suggestions on those as they do look very convenient.

• NYCish
    4 years ago

We love our rohl shaws fireclay sink. We did not do apron front; ive found that the metal buttons of peoples pants tend to muck them up

We have been really happy with it. Cleans up so easily, looks so bright across a huge expanse of Island. We put a white sink grid in and have our drain matched to our cal faucet.

• cat_mom
    4 years ago

We’re happy with our Julien 16 gauge, 0-radius corner, SS sink. Been using it for almost 13 years, and it’s holding up nicely.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

IMO you need good quality but not ridiculous and IMO a few K is ridiculous. I am a chef and would never go with the sinks with all the gadgets to add to them, IMO a huge PITA to figure out where to put the stuff you aren’t using it and again a huge a mount of money for gimmicks,Since you are getting new stuff make sure you get a good DW like Bosch then you won’t need to dry the dishes. I think a large single sink is the best and for me all my stainless pots go in the DW on power scrub. The one or two bowls need to be a decent size so no 60/40 for me. I always go stainless 16 gauge is great, I happen to like the square corners and really don’t find them harder to clean but some people do. So much of this will depend on your kitchen design and size of the sink cabinet, so get as much info as possible but wait to buy until the design is final.

• Shannon_WI
    4 years ago

I like a sink that is 33-36" wide. That is big enough to be as spacious as I need, but not so big that I am foregoing counter space or appliance width to fit it in. Many people here like the workstation sinks. I personally don't, because I like my cutting board on the counter, a large separate colander, and my sink devoted to being a sink, not anything else, and I wonder where I'd store all the inserts of a workstation sink when I am not using them. So many people love them, so it's personal style in the kitchen.

There are two materials I like for a sink. The Blanco Silgranit granite composite (not the imitators), but only the dark colors like anthracite or cafe brown (looks very sharp in a kitchen), because they are easy-care and show nothing. The lighter Silgranit colors are harder to keep clean. The other material I like is tried-and-true stainless steel. It needs to be 16 gauge, not the thinner 18 gauge. There is no reason to spend thousands. There are people on this forum obsessed with their expensive sinks, almost desperately so, and I guess if I spent $4000 on a sink, I would be too. But since there are wonderful sinks at a fraction of that, I'd rather spend my money in my kitchen reno elsewhere. Look at the Kraus sinks. They run in the $400 range, and people are thrilled with them. Many reports on this forum from pleased Kraus sink owners.

The other feature I would look for in a sink is an offset drain, preferably offset in the corner or side. Offset means the drain is not in the center of the sink, but to the side or rear of the sink. That allows you to set large things down in the sink without covering the drain. It also provides more space under the sink for storage because the drain pipe is not in the center. Elkay makes some with corner drains. Also the BlancoDiamond Super Single.

• pr705
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks will definitely make a note on the offset drain. Very useful !

• pr705
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks Patricia , hearing this from a chef is very valuable , I was also thinking about the same thing ;) , storing all the attachments

• pr705
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Shannon totally agree that a few k is definitely too much. Thanks for the suggestions on kraus and silgranit.

• wilson853
    4 years ago

Sounds like you have a very busy kitchen. I am not doubting that Rachiele makes great sinks, but if budget is a concern I personally would spend much less on a sink and get a second DW. Last night I had one DW loaded with the day's dishes and the other had the pots and a colander. After a long day I was so grateful that I didn't have to hand wash anything. We also have a stainless prep sink with two ledges which is my favorite thing in the kitchen. If I only have space for one sink in our next house it will definitely be a single bowl workstation sink. The only accessories that I have are a cutting board and colander. I never put them away. They stack over each other and stay in the sink.

• wiscokid
    4 years ago

If OP is concerned about where to store a cutting board and drying rack that come with a workstation sink, and is concerned about costs, I doubt a second dishwasher is in the cards.

• pr705
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Yes, we run our dishwasher everyday and have no utility for a second dishwasher

• M Miller
    4 years ago

Wiscokid - your post makes a leap of assumptions. Some of us don’t want to spend several thousands on a sink, and our preference is not to store sink adjuncts that we rarely use. The OP wrote that she is researching and collecting information at this stage, something that many people don’t take the time to do in advance of a reno, as we have seen many times on this forum. Who can tell whether she’d like a second dishwasher or not. She’s said nothing about her budget other than doing research for it, and has said she feels “that size is not an issue“ in her kitchen.

• jhmarie
    4 years ago

I spent $960 a few years go on my Kohler Whitehaven. Then I bought the grills - another $70. That was more than I intended to spend on a sink and I delayed my refresh to save up for it. The sink is a very hard working part of the kitchen, so I could justify spending that much - it was still less than my fridge in my ordinary kitchen.

My last cast iron sink still looked good after 20 years, though it needed more frequent cleaning as time went on. It never chipped, though it is possible. The gills have been very helpful in keeping the sink looking good. In my sink there are two grills, so easy to wipe down and clean. I know some have one large grill. I have a single bowl with offset drain, but would have done a low divide if the smaller side / larger side had been reversed. It is an apron front and that might not be your style. I have never heard anyone have scratches on the front of the apron - it is hardier than a wood cabinet. I am short, yet my waistline is above the sink so no belt would scratch even if I wore one. I priced out my sink at several places and ordered it from build.com though Home Depot had the same price but there is not one close to me.

The fireclay sinks are beautiful, but they can craze and chip - and it usually is not repairable. Often they have a guarantee, but you still need to pay the plumber to install.

• daisiesandbutterflies
    4 years ago

I love my Elkay sink (made in Canada) and would recommend and get one again without hesitation. Good quality, won't break the bank.

• Mom
    4 years ago

I have an undermount Kohler Riverby which I suspect is a non-apron front version of the Whitehaven. It also has an offset drain and rack. No issues with it at all so far. My prep sink is a Blanco Silgranite and I am very happy with it as well.

• pr705
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks M Miller ! :) , got it. It maybe obvious but I somehow thought that stainless steel maybe more durable...

• tsjmjh
    4 years ago

I have the Blanco Silgranite Precis Cascade in Anthracite and love it. As someone else said, it shows nothing as long as you rinse it. It comes with the colander and, since I don't cook, I didn't order any of the "extras." I upgraded the drain/flange to Anthracite. ( I will do anything I can to avoid stainless.) Don't remember the exact price: ~ $400? $500?

Added bonus: The cat can be diverted from whining at me to play with him by letting him watch the "cascade" from the raised level to the large single bowl. Like all Maine Coons with their water fetish, this fascinates him.

• vinmarks
    4 years ago

We've been very happy with our 32 inch stainless single bowl Kraus.

• M
    4 years ago

All metal sinks (stainless steel, copper or more exotic materials such as brass) are very durable. Unless you buy a flimsy imported builder-grade sink, they won't deform or dent. But they do scratch over time. In my opinion, that doesn't distract from their appeal. My kitchen is a working kitchen. I keep it neat and clean, but I don't mind if you can tell that my kitchen is being used. In fact, we have stainless countertops and they inevitably show a random pattern of minor scratches. I am fine with that. But if that bothers you, then other materials might be more appropriate.

As for the Rachiele sinks, you asked for a "sink we love". This is certainly it. And while these sinks are expensive, they are not as expensive as others claimed. You can regularly find Rachiele sinks in the $1000-$2000 range. If you want something highly customized and unusual, it can get more expensive though. So, yes, this is very much a premium brand. Nonetheless, my recommendation stands. Read all the very useful information on that website. It'll help you so much in figuring out what you want from a sink. It talks about single bowl sinks, ideal sink depth, grids, offset drains, sloping, and workstation features. Then, if you decide to buy a different brand, you do so fully aware of what's important to you.