No Bar B Que For You!

Stan Areted

"A Texas man licensed to carry a handgun fatally shot one of three suspects during a botched armed robbery at a home cookout Friday night, investigators said.

The Dallas Police Department said in a news release that the incident happened at 11:55 p.m. on the 3400 block of Chicago Street in Dallas.

The three unidentified suspects approached the front yard where guests were socializing and attempted to rob them at gunpoint. Two of the suspects had handguns, police told Fox 4 Dallas Ft. Worth. An unnamed man, who was a licensed handgun carrier visiting the residence, drew his weapon and shot one suspect, police said in the release. The two other suspects escaped and remain at-large.

The wounded suspect was rushed to a hospital, where he later died, police said. The suspect was not immediately identified.

The 25-year-old man who shot the robbery suspect was released after an interview with detectives.

The case is being referred to a Dallas County grand jury." Jan 13 2020 Fox News

One day they'll begin to catch on that people are tired of going to funerals of loved ones, tired of being maimed, and tired of being victims.

SaveComment41Like2
Comments (41)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Iris GW

Or being shot as an innocent bystander.

Let's hope this guy shot the appropriate person. Just curious, is a 'death sentence' the appropriate punishment for attempted robbery?

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Stan Areted
zmith

Iris, it’s called aggravated robbery when the suspect has a weapon. It’s a first degree felony with a sentence of up to 99 years.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Stan Areted
Stan Areted

It depends upon the circumstances of the robbery to which none of us are privy at this time--the shooting could be totally justified, maybe not, or maybe it was a call one had to make convinced lives were in danger. I'd say two suspects with guns trying to rob a group of people eating in their own front yard is something that would get one's attention that they might be there not only to rob, but willing to shoot. We just don't know the facts.

A grand jury will decide whether charges will be brought against the shooter.

The point is, take away guns from law abiding citizens and the criminals will be the only ones with guns and they'll know it.

5 Likes Save    
Iris GW

Thanks, for the clarification zmith. But that would be if the person him/herself was holding a weapon? Two of the persons had weapons but it didn't say if the person killed was one of them.

Save     Thanked by Stan Areted
zmith

That’s true, Iris. Those facts are not available yet, as Stan stated above.

queenmargo

Here come the left defending the criminals. LOL

2 Likes Save    
Iris GW

I am defending no one. But when shots get fired, sometimes the wrong people get hurt. I guaranteed you that no one would be posting this story if a bystander had gotten hurt. If I were at such a gathering, I would prefer to be robbed than shot in the crossfire. Having everyone take the law into their own hands is not always a good thing.

3 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Iris, what if the criminals had shot some of the people in the yard eating?

What if you were in a theater or a shopping mall and criminals were shooting, you were crouching with loved ones or by yourself behind some seating, or even in the open, and a legally armed citizen (or for that matter, any armed citizen) protected you?

Would you be okay with that?

Or would you want to ask that armed citizen to leave so that you wouldn't be accidentally shot and then the criminal could shoot you intentionally?

Do you fear armed, trained citizens more than criminals with guns?

Save    
Iris GW

I'm saying then when you get two people with a gun, the crossfire can be harmful. Especially if it is two people not used to shooting a lot.

I'm not saying I want any of what you suppose above. Thugs don't always intend to shoot and they may not actually have a gun (there's more than one case of someone being shot because the other person THOUGHT they had a gun).

Be careful what you wish for.

Save    
katrina_ellen

Do you fear armed, trained citizens more than criminals with guns?

Exactly, most of us want the same thing, to live in peace, but there are some who are intent on taking advantage of others vulnerability.

1 Like Save    
Lukki Irish

IMO, it’s not about owning or even using a gun when threatened, it’s the omen that the public at large has to “trust” that the gun owner has been thoroughly trained on how to shoot and has the maturity and thought processes to act responsibly. There is no argument that many gun owners don’t have the needed skillset. That’s where background checks, mandatory gun classes, licensing and many of the other “compromises” that have been discussed/debated over the past few years comes into the picture. (Not to mention people with mental illnesses and the threat that can pose)

This is not an issue that’s so black and white. While it’s unfair to expect people who want to have guns give them up entirely, it’s also unfair to expect people who are against guns to live with the anxiety and fear that guns create for them. When both sides of the isle have legitimate points of view, then we have to figure out a compromise that works for everyone. That’s democracy at it’s finest. So....instead of debating the same differing points of view to adnauseam why not try to figure out a fix that would be reasonable for both sides?

2 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

I don't have to be careful what I wish for--I wish for people that follow our laws, that treated others respectfully and decently, and didn't kill, maim, or threaten them. I wish for people that didn't enjoy hurting others and respected their right to live in peace, to walk down the street, to go to the grocery store, and to have a barbeque in their own yard with family and friends without being threatened, robbed and perhaps shot.

How are you going to know? Toss your wallet and assume you're not going to get shot?

Spend more time worrying about the concealed carry private citizen that could protect you?

I get it--if the thug shoots at you or is about to and the concealed carry private citizen shoots him, it's okay as long as he doesn't kill the poor thug.

But if someone gets hurt in the melee, it's always the private citizen's fault.

For the life of me I'll never understand those that side with criminal thugs against decent people that protect themselves and others.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

The other 2 are lucky. Welcome to Texas. What charges could possibly be brought against the hero?

Delilah66

Eh, Dallas. Eh, Bal'mer. Eh, Charlottesville. They're all s'hole cities.

Delilah66

"...I wish for people that follow our laws, that treated others respectfully and decently...or threaten them...."

The left wishes for a President who follows our laws, treats others respectfully and decently, and doesn't threaten them. We also wish for a President who is a true patriot and is loyal to his oath of office.

lurker111

You have that and much more, right now.

Iris GW

Spend more time worrying about the concealed carry private citizen that could protect you?

Do you fear armed, trained citizens more

Pushing this concept that I'm afraid of the "good guy with the gun" is not productive.

Good points, lukki irish, thank you. It's not an "and/or" situation.

I don't have to be careful what I wish for--

None of us wish for criminals. But hanging your hopes on the "good guy with the gun" is not the magic solution. He/she may save lives but it can go the other way as well.

This is a discussion board. We're here to discuss.

Stan Areted

Eh, Dallas. Eh, Bal'mer. Eh, Charlottesville. They're all s'hole cities.

To the extent that they --are the criminals that democrats protect at the expense of law abiding, tax paying citizens.

There's one less that makes Dallas one today thanks to an armed citizen.

2 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Iris, I'm a conservative.

I don't hang my hopes on others or their actions.

This country offers greater opportunities than any other.

If you can't protect yourself, care for yourself, and make your dreams come true here, you (not you individually) are truly a loser.

1 Like Save    
Delilah66

"You have that and much more, right now."

Who? Trumpka? Jones? Glickman? Gerard?

Delilah66

Baloney. People that "make their dreams come true" weren't dreaming. They were planning, revising and executing the plan, irrespective of which party was/is in office.

Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Way more bad guys with a gun, than good ones. The good guys would need a lot more training than what they now have before I could feel comfortable. Plus, let's not forget the even larger population of the idiot with a gun.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Stan Areted
lurker111

The good guys would need a lot more training than what they now have before I could feel comfortable.

Because there's soooo many examples of the good guys making mistakes?

miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,maifleur,others(8a)

Yes lurker. Most gun deaths (apart from suicide) are accidental, and most of those guns are owned by “good guys.” Whether the good guys accidentally shoot themselves or their hunting partners, etc or if they leave their guns in an irresponsible state and a kid gets ahold of it, gun deaths are usually not a result of crime.

elvis

But that would be if the person him/herself was holding a weapon? Two of the persons had weapons but it didn't say if the person killed was one of them.

Yes. Party to the crime, or in Texas, party to the criminal offense.

margaritadina

''

Iris GW

Just curious, is a
'death sentence' the appropriate punishment for attempted robbery?
''

Yes.

Zalco/bring back Sophie!

If you use a weapon in committing a crime, consider the possibility of dying an occupational hazard.

elvis

No kiddin'. Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it.

lurker111

Most gun deaths (apart from suicide) are accidental, and most of those guns are owned by “good guys.”

We have a different definition of "good guys". I'm referring to the good guys who stop the criminals dead in their tracks. Accidents are accidents. It doesn't matter if the gun owner is a good guy or a criminal...it's still an accident.

elvis

It doesn't matter if the gun owner is a good guy or a criminal...it's still an accident.

LOL, Lurker. I don't think she took that into account.

dublinbay z6 (KS)

But then there are those accidents "waiting to happen." Who is the good or bad guy then?

As for those supposedly well-trained and experienced concealed carry cowboys out there, I suspect that if the authorities checked carefully, they would find that a number of them aren't anywhere as well prepared as those wanna-be Clint Eastwoods think they are. Mostly they seem well prepared to "talk big" and "posture" a lot.

What is the national standard for measuring "well-prepared" to act as a gun-toting "hero" in a crisis? Other than the gun-toter's braggadocio self-assessment?

Kate

Stan Areted

What is the national standard for guntoting for thugs that pull a gun on you to shoot you, rob you, pistol wiip you, kidnap you, threaten you or rape you?

Surely you want the same standards when you come into contact with a gun.

The good thing about concealed is you never know who is carrying,

Of course if one is that 'a feared of a licensed concealed carry citizen in their presence, they can live in fear and apprehension that one is about to pull out their gun at any time and not be accurate when they shoot.

That would include not shooting the person about to kill you.

Oh well, there's that pesky Second Amendment!

Therapy, puppy cuddles, hot chocolate and knitted pink hats might help.

2 Likes Save    

“Because there's soooo many examples of the good guys making mistakes?”

Yes, there are, and we call the mistakes “accidents” and continue on with our lives.

[It doesn't matter if the gun owner is a good guy or a criminal...it's still an accident.

LOL, Lurker. I don't think she took that into account.

2 Likes]

I can speak for myself so I don’t need other posters presuming what I took into account and what I didn’t. I answered what lurker asked. There are many examples of good guys (people) making mistakes with their firearms. Most of the gun deaths and injuries in the US are in fact cases of what I would consider to be a good guy (person) making a mistake.

arthurm2015(Micro-Climate, Zone 10b Sydney, Australia)

Miss Lindsay, you are wasting your time, common sense has no place in the discussions about gun laws in the USA.

Just one stat should make people stop and think.

Murder rate, most first world countries about 1 per hundred thousand people.

Murder rate USA about 5 per hundred thousand people.

In my youth I had a .22 Calibre rifle. It was discarded when I married the dragon woman and all I brought to the new home was an ironing board. Just as well, because when the little monsters arrived they did all sorts of horrible experiments to see what would happen if.....

Of course, some people should have guns, Hunters for food, Hunters of vermin. Farmers, Target shooters, Collectors...

But not your everyday citizen.

lurker111

Most of the gun deaths and injuries in the US are in fact cases of what I would consider to be a good guy (person) making a mistake.

How would you know? Bad guys don't make mistakes? We were talking about the good guys accidentally hurting people when defending against bad guys. Spin it however you need to.

Del Phinium

arthurm2015(Micro-Climate, Zone 10b Sydney, Australia)

"Of course, some people should have guns, Hunters for food, Hunters of vermin. Farmers, Target shooters, Collectors...

But not your everyday citizen."

Hunters, farmers, target shooters, and collectors ARE "everyday citizens"

5 Likes Save     Thanked by Stan Areted
ubro(2a)

Hunters, farmers, target shooters, and collectors ARE "everyday citizens"

Yes, but I think what arthurm meant was that if you had no need for such a weapon you should not have one.

“How would you know? Bad guys don't make mistakes?”

Now you’re starting to understand! “Good” and “bad” are subjective. “Dead” isn’t.

Stan Areted

Again, just wear blue and say, "don't save me" when you are in danger.

We will stand down.

It's hard for patriotic, compassionate people, but we do want to make libs happy.

Save    
elvis

Lindsey wrote: Most of the gun deaths and injuries in the US are in fact cases of what I would consider to be a good guy (person) making a mistake.

You have a very um, generous definition of "good guy".

It is difficult to get straightforward statistics. The media likes to talk about cops shooting people and mass murderers killing people. The most complete summary I've found is from Canada's reporting, and the most recent year available, 2015. As you can see, from a total of around 37,000 total shootings, only 1,749 were ruled accidental.

A review of 2015’s total for firearms-related deaths in the U.S. shows that the Gun Violence Archive (GVA) recorded 12,236 deaths and a further 24,755 injuries from shootings. This casualty toll includes 640 children aged 0-11 killed or injured by guns.

Not all these deaths were straight-up homicides. The GVA recorded 1,749 accidental shootings, 1,131 cases of ‘defensive use’, 4,028 incidents involving police, and 2,081 home invasions.

https://www.nationalobserver.com/2015/12/04/news/how-american-gun-deaths-and-gun-laws-compare-canadas

adoptedbyhounds

"Just curious, is a
'death sentence' the appropriate punishment for attempted robbery?"

In a court of law? Maybe not.

As an act of self defense? Quite possibly.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Room of the Day A B&B Kitchen Morphs Into a Bright Family Hangout
A large central island, clever storage and a white-and-wood palette renew this Kansas City space
Full Story
More Rooms Home Bars Tap Into Guy-Friendly Style
Belly up to rich wood, sports memorabilia and plenty of beer — pub spaces are letting guys run wild without leaving home
Full Story
Organizing Consider the Home Office Bar
Stir Up a Little Mad Men Style With a Mini Bar in Your Home Office
Full Story