Tuesday Dem debate, I'm looking forward to it

Ann

Fewer candidates and the time has come to really make themselves "the one". This should be great. I expect we'll hear clearer differentiation between policies and more fireworks and comparisons. I think this will be very interesting. Is anyone else looking forward to Tuesday evening?

SaveComment133Like1
Comments (133)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ann

I sure wish it was going to be Bloomberg rather than Steyer! That's most unfortunate IMO.

Save    
elvis

I agree. I'll watch until and if it gets boring.

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

I'm looking forward to all that diversity on the stage.

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

Yes, diversity. Women, men, gay, straight. Who’s running for R? All men.

1 Like Save    
Ann

"Yes, diversity. Women, men, gay, straight. Who’s running for R? All men."

Trump.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

I was talking about Walsh and Weld but yeah, I guess Trump is technically a man, too.

2 Likes Save    
mudhouse

I'm looking forward to watching. The quality of the comments should be higher because the number of candidates is lower. I hated how little time candidates had to answer, in those early debates with the huge field.

Curious to hear any comments about Soleimani or the Iranian protests, or the impeachment mess.

I agree that more policy differences should start to show, and that makes it a lot more interesting.

2 Likes Save    
foodonastump

I don’t what you’re trying to prove, catkin. You‘ve never seen me complain about old white men. I was simply pointing out what should be obvious, that the Dem stage is still diverse because color isn’t the only factor of diversity.

2 Likes Save    
althea_gw

I wish Tulsi could participate tonight. We could could really use her perspective if the Suleimani assassination/war with Iran is brought up.

Save    
soupgirl53

Silly memes get the most promotion.

Save    
Ann

I think Tulsi has gotten to be too much of a one trick pony. She can't seem to get past opposition to regime change. A fine point of view, but I think she needs many more and on many more topics.

1 Like Save    
Toby

I have found that all the candidates are very knowledgeable about all the issues. They didn't all get the chance to speak but when they did, I didn't see any try to bluff their way through.

2 Likes Save    
steve2416

I'm looking forward to it. BTW- I like Steyer.

Save    
HU-885118952

Warren/Bernie interaction should be interesting after all the finger pointing today.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

Oh man, I can't wait for tonight's debate. I've had a busy day but am glad to be home and waiting for tonight!

1 Like Save    
Chi

I suspect it will be a positive interaction. Sanders has already addressed it, and Warren's campaign is trying to de-escalate it and focus on shared goals.

They know Republicans are trying to drive a wedge between them and I applaud their attempts to smooth it over. Having a united Democratic base behind whichever candidate is ultimately selected is vitally important.

Save    
queenmargo

Thanks for the reminder Ann, I will watch and see if they can hold my attention lol lol

1 Like Save    
1 Like Save    
elvis

So far, they all know how to keep the world safe, and Buttigieg remembered a sappy story about a toddler whose daddy was deployed. Ripped my heart out, I'll tell ya.

3 Likes Save    
Toby

Pete knows what it's like to be deployed and leave his family. It's called empathy, not "sap".

2 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

Working with our allies -- common refrain from the candidates so far.

Sweet words to hear.

4 Likes Save    
elvis

Dealing with North Korea and China: I got the impression that Joe wants to challenge Kim Jong Un to a push-up match.

2 Likes Save    
paprikash

The democrat candidates: Is That All There Is? If so, President Trump has nothing to worry about.

2 Likes Save    

@SethAbramson

When you watch these six intelligent, articulate, and passionate Democratic candidates on stage tonight you really wonder how a fake millionaire in Swiss bronzer with a worse vocabulary than the quietest and most sociopathic kid in your second-grade class is even a thing

6:52 PM · Jan 14, 2020·Twitter for Android

430Retweets

2.1KLikes

4 Likes Save    
elvis

Who is Seth Abramson?

2 Likes Save    

Why not spell Buttigieg as it appears in print?

The correct spelling is hardly a secret.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

I'm feeling very good about a Trump win tonight. I thought the foreign policy section was pathetic. They are killing themselves looking weak - all in being compelled to oppose Trump. It was sad to watch them oppose the taking out of Soleimani and the standing up of the Iranian people.

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

I gave up watching....drizzle drazzle druzzle drone......

I sure hope who ever wins the nomination gets some passion fire in their belly.

Bernie wins tonight for that at least. He still can't explain how to pay for this whole single payer system.

Joe Biden is LOW energy.

Warren thinks taxing Amazon will pay for everything.

The billionaire ( forgot his name) is just about climate change.

Mayor Pete was boring.

Klobachar - annoyed me with out talking the time limit continuously.

Collectively the theme was just bashing Trump more than passion for any issue, except Bernie with his Universal Healthcare.

At this point it really doesn't matter who wins the nomination in my opinion.

Save    
Iris GW

I must be watching something different. I hear talk about working with our allies to solve global issues, working to help Americans with their daily struggles, ensuring that large corporations don't call the shots at the expense of average folks, recognizing and finding issues to help with climate change. #AmericaForThePeople

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Of course Iris we are watching something different. We each see things through different lenses.

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

It struck me funny when Biden said we need to solve the problem of healthcare that has failed in the last 2 decades, lol, he was 8 years of the last decade.

3 Likes Save    

I must be watching something different.

Me too.

I thought the foreign policy portion made the case for needing a vote on war powers -- we've been lied into war before.

4 Likes Save    
Iris GW

we've been lied into war before

Their answers recognize the responsibility that Congress has to the American people to get it right.

And I love Warren's comment about being in DC for the impeachment instead of campaigning because that is her responsibility to the American people right now. Smart answer.

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

I love how Warren never answered the question about her saying Bernie said a woman could never be president. He answered and she deflected lol

2 Likes Save    
elvis

Klobachar - annoyed me with out talking the time limit continuously.

Okay, opinion: Did she draw her right eyebrow higher than the other, or was is just raised all the time?

4 Likes Save    
numbersjunkie

Yang won the debate. And he wasn't even there! It was boring IMO.

3 Likes Save    
Ann

I'll agree with Numbers, it was super boring. I gave up on it pretty early. Too bad as I was really looking forward to it.

Margo, the person posing the question about Bernie/woman president opinion asked Bernie directly and he answered directly. Then they moved to Warren and asked how she felt about him saying a woman couldn't be voted as president, right after he claimed he never said it. So, they completely gave her an out and never challenged her to find out if she ever really heard him say that.

2 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Why not spell Buttigieg as it appears in print? The correct spelling is hardly a secret.

The correct spelling of Trump is hardly a secret, either, but it seems to give people lots of trouble.

5 Likes Save    
mudhouse

I actually missed Yang being on the stage. Even if I don't agree with some of his ideas, he seems to have a unique and bright take on things that's almost always interesting.

3 Likes Save    
maddie260

For those of you who don't believe in climate change, I just don't care. If you have time to post on this board (like me), we are out of here before too long. But, the deniers paid by the fossil fuel industries will also be dead, and the younger generation will be in charge. They will change everything.

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I had prior commitments and couldn't watch the debate tonight. So I've been looking up some online comments about it.

Evidently the journalists watched a different debate than some of our posters here on HT did.

Here is one journalist's take on Bernie's supposed comment on women presidents.

--------------

"It was the moment most people watching Tuesday night's Democratic debate had been waiting for: Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) was asked about comments he made during a private meeting he had with Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) in 2018.

CNN reported, and Warren later confirmed, that during their conversation, Sanders said he did not believe a woman could win the presidential election. "I didn't say it," Sanders responded. Warren shot Sanders a look, as he continued on. "I don't want to waste a whole lot of time on this," Sanders said. "This is what Donald Trump and maybe some of the media want. Anyone who knows me knows that it's incomprehensible that I would think that a woman could not be president of the United States."

Sanders said there are videos on YouTube showing him 30 years ago saying a woman could be president. "Hillary Clinton won the popular vote by three million votes, how could anybody in a million years not believe that a woman could become president of the United States?" he said. Warren responded that she "disagreed" with Sanders, but he is "my friend and I'm not here to fight with Bernie. But look, this question about whether or not a woman can be president has been raised and it's time for us to attack it head on."

She then pounced, not just on Sanders, but on every male candidate on the stage — former Vice President Joe Biden, billionaire Tom Steyer, and former South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg. "I think the best way to talk about who can win is by looking at a person's winning record," she said. "So can a woman beat Donald Trump? Look at the men on this stage. Collectively they have lost 10 elections. The only people on this stage who have won every single election they've been in are the women, [Sen.] Amy [Klobuchar] and me." This was met by cheers from the audience."

https://theweek.com/speedreads/889500/elizabeth-warren-gleefully-reminds-male-candidates-how-many-elections-theyve-lost

----------------------

You go, Liz, go!

Kate

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

I thought this was interesting--moment of unanimity during the debate:

---------------------------------

"Every top 2020 Democrat is backing big changes to child care in the U.S.

When asked about America's child care system, every one of the six Democrats onstage Tuesday made it clear they believe something needs to change. "It makes no sense for child care to cost two-thirds of somebody's income," former South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg said, kicking off a spree of candidates calling for access to affordable and even free child care.

Buttigieg has announced a $700 billion investment into child care before kindergarten, and Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) continued his conversation by calling for a free universal child care program for 4- and 5-year-olds. Beyond that, Warren said, America needs to "stop exploiting the people who do this valuable work, largely black and brown women" by raising wages for child-care workers and preschool teachers. Sanders continued her call for free universal child care, saying "our current child-care system is an embarrassment."

Former Vice President Joe Biden also said there should be a system for free infant care, pointing out that "I was a single parent too" when his first wife and daughter died and he was in his early days in the Senate."

-------------------------------

This is a significant issue--deserves to be covered! That all Dem. candidates agree on the general principle is also important.

Kate

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

International issues? Iran "war"?

-----------------------------

"Bernie Sanders warns Iran war could be 'even worse' than Vietnam, Iraq

Foreign policy took center stage early in Tuesday's Democratic presidential debate.

It's not much of a surprise considering the tensions that have been bubbling between the United States and Iran following President Trump's decision to kill Iranian Maj. Gen. Qassem Soleimani in Iraq earlier this month. Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) made it clear that he disapproved of the move, warning that a war in Iran could be "even worse" than the wars in Vietnam and Iraq, which Sanders considers "the two great foreign policy disasters of our lifetimes."

The one major thing the two conflicts had in common in Sanders' mind? They were both "based on lies." And he's worried Trump's lying his way to a round three.

During the foreign policy-heavy opening stretch, Sanders and other candidates gave a shout out to Rep. Barbara Lee (D-Calif.) for being the lone voice to oppose the Authorization for Use of Military Force in Afghanistan in 2002, hinting that its repeal is a priority. "

----------------------------------

Seems like some of our debate watchers missed the range of the topics covered.

Somewhat amusing that they were hoping for fireworks and bored that there were none since Dem. candidates seemed to agree with each other a lot or only had minor differences between them.

Disappointing as that was to Trump's supporters, I think it is cause for celebration and rejoicing among Dems.

Kate

2 Likes Save    
lily316

The wingers don't watch Dem debates because the gross vulgar filthy mouth trump isn't there smearing everyone with his childish taunts. Everyone on that stage actually acted liked civil human beings. Trump isn't fit to lick their shoes.

4 Likes Save    
Rina

Sounds as though it was a good debate, the kind that allows viewers with their thinking hats on to judge the differences in nuance between candidates rather than the simplistic measure of where they are supposed to sit on the left-right axis. Well done, candidates.

I do think it a pity that Yang wasn't there -- he has one of the most truly original and brilliant minds US politics has ever seen, I think. Never mind his chances of winning, his thoughts deserve the exposure they might get in that context.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

No reason to watch a bunch of irrelevant Trump haters. I get plenty of that here. I watched the Trump rally. :^)

Save    
althea_gw

It would have been nice to have Yang help Warren with math.

CNN's smear against Bernie was over the top. No wonder it's called fake news. That question about a disputed conversation which cnn reported as fact, and the whole deflection of whether a woman could become president was a win for Trump.

I liked how Bernie incorporated climate change as central to any trade deal, even if the moderators were having none of it. Steyer did great on res-establishing Bernie's point. Steyer had a really good night overall.

Again, Tulsi is the strongest on interventionist foreign policy, but Bernie did a nice job especially when he brought up the importance of the UN.Biden got off too easily on the Iraq War and foreign intervention questions, He needs to be held to account for his vote and continuing support of the same failed policy that in part led to the Trump presidency.

Save    
Stan Areted

lily316:

The wingers don't watch Dem debates because the gross vulgar filthy mouth trump isn't there smearing everyone with his childish taunts. Everyone on that stage actually acted liked civil human beings. Trump isn't fit to lick their shoes.

That President Donald Trump sure gets under the skin of some people!

He enjoys it, I think, but only people that have any interaction with him.

Luckily, there is no reason for anyone to lick the shoes of anyone on that stage last night, certainly not the President of the United States of America.

Keep America Great!

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

I like the way they focus on real issues important to people and not on calling their political opponents stupid nicknames and insulting anyone who doesn't agree with them.

3 Likes Save    
Iris GW

I'm sure it was boring for Trump supporters. I would be bored watching Trump speak. Nothing unexpected there.

But Nana is right - these people were courteous to each other and mostly gave answers to the questions. Biden lost some points for me. His time is done and he didn't always answer the question; I won't vote for him in the primary.

#AmericaForThePeople

1 Like Save    
paprikash

I agree with Iris. Toward the end, I actually felt sorry for Biden. He may have won in 2016 but his time is over.

eta: it was certainly very boring

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Here is a good source that gathered together the debate evaluations offered by a number of well-known news sources (CNN, WashPost, etc.) and political consultants. I've included the NYPosts' assessment below:

"The winners and losers from the 7th Democratic debate"

New York Post:

Winners:

Warren: Warren shined. She was ready for the much-anticipated question about the electability of a female nominee and nailed it. Her answer transcended the campaign dustup with Sanders and spoke to the ideals of the Democratic Party.

Buttigieg: Once again, he scored big as the lone outsider. He is a skilled debater who answers every question in a way that reinforces the central narrative of his campaign — that Washington is broken and he can fix it.

Klobuchar: She was on top of her game tonight. She’s an effective storyteller who knows how to drive home a point. And she was definitely on-brand with a lot of Midwestern pragmatism.

Losers:

Steyer: A waste of podium. There’s no rationale for Steyer to be on this stage. His spot could have gone to any in a long list of more qualified candidates who have had to drop out.

Treading Water:

Biden: The bar was a lot higher as the frontrunner. He made no big mistakes — but also scored no major points. If he was looking to close out Iowa with a crescendo, he failed.

Sanders: He’s been running for president nonstop for the past six years, but hasn’t added to his coalition in all that time. He effectively delivered pieces of his stump speech. If you love Bernie, you loved it."

------------------

Read the rest of the evaluations at that link. Very interesting.

Kate

Save    
queenmargo

mudhouse

Why not spell Buttigieg as it appears in print? The correct spelling is hardly a secret.

The correct spelling of Trump is hardly a secret, either, but it seems to give people lots of trouble.

Ding ding ding..... winner winner chicken dinner...

Mudhouse - that was a brilliant comeback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 Likes Save    
Iris GW

Warren's bailiwick is identity politics, and once again she went to being a woman.

I understand your perspective, but frankly it is a point that needs to be discussed. Nations around the world have women in charge. There's no reason to shy away from the discussion.

Oops - someone deleted or flagged the post that I was quoting ...

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

Iris, it also doesn't reflect upon women in a positive light, that Warren would use a feckless ploy; lying or misrepresenting her male competition and once again, play victim.

I don't want a woman to beat a man in anything- including and especially the Presidency- using underhanded schemes and accusations of oppression.

Tell me why I should vote for you, woman, not why I should not vote for that "bad man".

Leaking about a private conversation she had with Bernie a YEAR ago reflects far more poorly on Warren than it does Bernie.

And I am no fan of the Bern.

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Tell me why I should vote for you, woman, not why I should not vote for that "bad man".

Meanwhile, while that boring debate was going on, Trump was holding a YUGE rally, signing trade deals,....he just keeps on going.... the miracle continues!

3 Likes Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

While I am no fan of UBI, I missed Yang for the intelligence and compassion he brought to the debates.

Warren's gambit with Sanders was despicable. I hope everyone saw what I saw, which was her being caught lying.

I like Mayor Pete and I am becoming a huge Klobuchar fan. I doubt either one of them has a chance. I am hopeful Mayor Pete will be around for a while and maybe win next time.

As for a woman president. The answer is simple. We have yet to run a female candidate the American people want leading them. Nothing sinister about the problem. Just unfortunate.

6 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

mudhouse

I actually missed Yang being on the stage. Even if I don't agree with
some of his ideas, he seems to have a unique and bright take on things
that's almost always interesting.

Yang has a bright future. The Presidency is on overreach for him at this point, but he should definitely consider 2024.

2 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Meanwhile, while that boring debate was going on, Trump was holding a
YUGE rally, signing trade deals,....he just keeps on going.... the
miracle continues!

And the Jeopardy GOAT competition was finishing up!

2 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

What Zalco said. It's not that we aren't ready for a woman to be President. We need the right woman.

In a sane Democrat world, Klobuchar should be the front runner, HANDS DOWN.

5 Likes Save    
Kathy

Toilets and dishwashers? That’s a rally? Rofl.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

In a sane Democrat world, Klobuchar should be the front runner, HANDS DOWN.

I totally agree with this;)

3 Likes Save    
Ann

"Disappointing as that was to Trump's supporters, I think it is cause for celebration and rejoicing among Dems."

Not disappointing as much as really boring. But, I bet the candidates are thrilled someone is rejoicing, even if you were busy with other things and didn't watch. Did you record it to watch later, or did you just move straight to the rejoicing part?

4 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Did you record it to watch later, or did you just move straight to the rejoicing part?

LOL Ann.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

"Biden lost some points for me. His time is done and he didn't always answer the question; I won't vote for him in the primary."

He went back to the "I'm out of time" thing several times, which is weird because he was criticized for that in the first debate. I think it makes the audience feel like he doesn't have anything to say, wants to be done, or is just kind of giving up on addressing a question or topic. Very weird! Klobuchar, conversely, is always getting to her important points and really wants to get more out when they cut her off. I actually wish they wouldn't cut her off, because her conclusions are very worthwhile to her point.

1 Like Save    
Ann

I thought starting with foreign policy was terrible for the candidates. IMO, they all fell really flat and sounded exceedingly weak in that section. No Commanders in Chief or any kind of leadership in that group - not even close.

Also, that conversation felt like they were many days behind - sort of like they were talking the day after the Soleimani take out. Lots of talk about how Trump is ready to take us into war any second, when I don't think that is the way the country or world is feeling at all right now. It was weird to hear Boris Johnson talking about a new deal with Iran (in clips I saw earlier Tuesday), following Trump's recent actions, and then the same evening, hear all of them talk about how we should run back into the old cr@ppy deal with Iran - that is about to end anyway. I said to my husband a few times - it's as if they are way behind and discussing really old news.

I think foreign policy was a horrible topic for them - every single one of them. Countries like Iran had to be cheering/rejoicing hearing that part and hoping one of them will win.

2 Likes Save    
Rina

Zalco -- We have yet to run a female candidate the American people want leading them. Not strictly true, if you mean the majority of American voters. Hillary Clinton won that vote by three million. Unfortunately, in the end, the American presidential vote is less about who the American people want as president, than how those votes fit into an awkward, unequal voting system. The president often gets the majority vote, I think, but not always.

Anyway, as Bernie said, Clinton's success in achieving those extra three million votes does put the possibility of a female president beyond doubt. Yup, the country is sufficiently grown-up to achieve that. But it would still be policy and political personality that decide the issue. Not necessarily how good either is, but to what degree they strike a chord with the voters.

2 Likes Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

I was very surprised Warren was not asked about her stated intention to cancel all student debt on Day One of her presidency. I have no idea of how she would accomplish this, and frankly to me it shows what she thinks of her voters and the education they received she wants to pay for.

1 Like Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Rina, it is strictly true. The rules for winning are the rules for winning. Bill Clinton told HRC she was making a mistake ignoring rust belt states and she and her team disparaged his advice. She did not win the election in this country under the terms of the game. No amount of talking about the popular vote negates that outcome. Ask Al Gore.

4 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Who was in the audience?

The Fake News.

And still no American flag present at the Leftist's debate.

Meanwhile over at the Trump rally...

5 Likes Save    
Rina

Oh, yes, Zalco, I remember Al Gore. I was just making the point that there has indeed been a female candidate that the American people wanted to be president. The rules just prevented her doing so.

Singularly inappropriate meme, Catkin, since part of the problem seems to be that there was so little fighting at this debate. That's why it was quote boring unquote. Whereas the Trump person doing his schtick always pleases his fans. They tend to put entertainment above policy, it seems. ETA: I've always found schtick incredibly boring.

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

RINA;

Whereas the Trump person doing his schtick always pleases his fans. They tend to put entertainment above policy, it seems. ETA: I've always found schtick incredibly boring.

President Trump is this moment about to sign a trade agreement with C H I N A !

Obama did NOTHING, contributed to the huge unfair imbalance.

President Trump just eliminated a murdering terrorist responsible for thousands of murdered and dead innocents, including Americans!

Obama did something--gave an agreement and lots of cash to kill more Americans and westerners and build nuclear weapons.

The stock market is hitting records this week as in other weeks!

What immigration crisis at the border now? Oh yes, thanks to President Trump!

Unemployment at lows not seen in many years and for minorities as well!

President Trump has filled empty judge positions that Obama ignored!

Overburdensome regulations and tax cuts have helped businesses hire more people and contribute to our economy strength!

Schtick?

Whatever you want to call it, makes no difference.

I'm enjoying the successes of President Trump's POLICIES, and so are many, many other Americans.

Boring? This president and his successes in making life better is THRILLING!

2 Likes Save    
Chi

The Republicans would love for the Dem candidates to be fighting and driving wedges between themselves and their supporters. But the candidates know it's vitally important for the base to rally behind the eventual nominee.

1 Like Save    
numbersjunkie

"Yang has a bright future. The Presidency is on overreach for him at this point, but he should definitely consider 2024."

Its been reported that a majority of the voters in Iowa haven't made up their minds, the front runners are neck in neck, and the lead keeps shifting. That tells me that voters aren't really excited about any of them. What the Yang team is hearing on the street in Iowa is that people love him, but don't think he can win, so he's often not their #1 choice when polled. He has sky high favorability ratings, and his supporters are "locked in".

What the dems need to win the election is high turnout - which requires voters to be excited. The group on the stage last night did not excite anyone. It requires pulling in a lot of former Trump voters, conservatives, and independents. Yang is doing just that.

If we can't win this, 2024 wont be an option because we will no longer have free elections.

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Repubs. so wanted to see Dem. candidates going for each others' jugular veins and world-wide wrestling body slams. Bright lights and loud music would have heightened the effects--right?

Instead, they got civilized candidates engaged in civil debate.

What are the poor Repubs. left to sputter over and stomp their feet ominously while booing? Working so hard to make hay out of very little!

Oh, well--Dems. are more interested in ideas and the future of America than in putting on a political clown show.

Kate

4 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

"What the dems need to win the election is high turnout - which requires voters to be excited. The group on the stage last night did not excite anyone."

What you have forgotten, Numbers, is the passion voters have to vote Trump out of office!

Watch out--here it comes! (Remember 2018?)

Kate

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

Who was in the audience?

Michael Moore?

1 Like Save    
Ann

"The rules just prevented her doing so."

Lol, yeah, those darn pesky rules which have prevented every candidate who has lost in our history. Imagine, those very same rules prevented Hillary from becoming president. How unusual!

4 Likes Save    
Ann

"The Republicans would love for the Dem candidates to be fighting and driving wedges between themselves and their supporters"

I think they better start some level of fighting or they'll have a good chance of ending up in a contested convention when the superdelegates will come out to play. At that point, what voters - the Dem elites take over the decision on behalf of lowly voters.

Save    

I appreciate that Buttigieg forcefully challenges the GOP narrative that they have the sole claim on God and religion.

4 Likes Save    
paprikash

I haven’t heard that narrative. The dems in my family are very religious just misguided in their political beliefs.

Save    
catkinZ8a

Not one debate question/remark about immigration, lololol.

Save    

Not one debate question/remark about immigration

Not true.

Save    
Rina

Ann:

"The rules just prevented her doing so."

Lol, yeah, those darn pesky rules which have prevented every candidate who has lost in our history. Imagine, those very same rules prevented Hillary from becoming president. How unusual!

You do, nevertheless, understand the point I was making specifically with respect to Zalco's comment about there not being a female candidate that the American people wanted to be president, yes? In which case, your comment is irrelevant to my comment.

But to address it as it stands ...

Are you saying every candidate who lost in your history actually had the majority vote? Well yes, that's exactly what you're saying -- I suppose I should ask, rather, did you mean to say that?

America's rules have on occasion (not all occasions as you suggest) prevented the country from getting the president most voters wanted. Under those circumstances they are indeed "darn pesky", as in, non-functional. Yes, I understand the theory and history behind them. I sitll don't think they work very well.

You know, Ann, the mere fact that a rule exist does not make it a good rule, not even if it is -- cue the National Anthem -- an American rule. I think your country's system could do with a severe overhaul of the way in which it balances the rights of the various states. But it's not likely to get one, even though well thought-out changes would still probably give you the same successful candidate perhaps 90 percent of the time.

2 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

LOL, giving advice to America.

Rich.

1 Like Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

"And still no American flag present at the Leftist's debate."

Catkin, I'd surmise the Dems. don't want to get into a contest with Repubs to see which side can stuff the most flags onto the stage--

or a contest to see which side can make the biggest fool of itself hugging the most flags.

Actually I really liked the Dem. choice of using the symbolic colors (red, white, blue) in a very modernistic abstract mode.

Cool--right? A symbolic flag colors abstract! How creative!

The meaning of the flag was absent only to those who are limited by their literalness, Catkin. The rest of us "get" color symbolization.

Kate

3 Likes Save    
Rina

Rich why, Catkin? Do you think Americans are intrinsically more intelligent than other human beings? Or is it just that you think all other countries are ignorant of political theory and practice?

Dublin Kate, I'm glad you have pointed our the use of colour symbolism on that stage. I took it for granted, but it's worth spelling it out for those who can't understand that kind of thing.

ETA Good night all. One email to write and I'm off to bed. Also, I'm switching off notifications now on this thread so forgive me for not replying if I'm addressed directly again.

Save    
queenmargo

Cool--right? A symbolic flag colors abstract! How creative!

Yup, a real creative way of fundamentally dismantling this country.

The left worship their manufactured symbols.

P.I.T.I.F.U.L.

Vote Trump and Keep America Great!

1 Like Save    
Current Resident(z4 WI)

Re "In a sane Democrat world, Klobuchar should be the front runner, HANDS DOWN."

In a sane Repub world, people who appreciate Klobuchar and think she would be good for the US (as do I) would ditch identity politics and cross over and vote for her.

2 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Dismantling this country????

What a silly thing to say.

Gee, Stephen Crane became famous for his creative use of color symbols. Remember Red Badge of Courage--or haven't you read that famous war novel?

Kate

Save    
HU-885118952

Ann

"Biden lost some points for me. His time is done and he didn't always answer the question; I won't vote for him in the primary."

He went back to the "I'm out of time" thing several times, which is
weird because he was criticized for that in the first debate. I think
it makes the audience feel like he doesn't have anything to say, wants
to be done, or is just kind of giving up on addressing a question or
topic. Very weird! Klobuchar, conversely, is always getting to her
important points and really wants to get more out when they cut her off.
I actually wish they wouldn't cut her off, because her conclusions are
very worthwhile to her point.

God I hope Klobuchar hangs in there longer than Warren. I'd love to see her stay in a winnowed-down field.

Biden's still my top pick for who wins the primary, barring discovery in impeachment witness testimony.

Save    
HU-885118952

Zalco/bring back Sophie!

I
was very surprised Warren was not asked about her stated intention to
cancel all student debt on Day One of her presidency. I have no idea of
how she would accomplish this, and frankly to me it shows what she
thinks of her voters and the education they received she wants to pay
for.

I wanted to hear what part of the Constitution she thinks would give her this magical power. This was a huge miss for the debate moderators. Trillions on the line and they just fluff away.

3 Likes Save    

Yup, a real creative way of fundamentally dismantling this country.

Abstraction threatens to dismantle the country?

We survived abstract expressionism -- we can survive anything!

The left worship their manufactured symbols.

Psssst -- the US flag is itself a manufactured symbol.

2 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Rina

Oh,
yes, Zalco, I remember Al Gore. I was just making the point that there
has indeed been a female candidate that the American people wanted to be
president. The rules just prevented her doing so.

This assumes voters wanted Hillary, vs. did not want Trump vs. did not want a Republican vs. wanted a Democrat to win.

Many folks voted "not Trump" and that doesn't mean they wanted Hillary per se.

A Democrat glass of water would have garnered 3 million more votes in California running against Trump.

Save    
HU-885118952

Current Resident(z4 WI)

Re "In a sane Democrat world, Klobuchar should be the front runner, HANDS DOWN."

In a sane Repub world, people who appreciate Klobuchar and think she
would be good for the US would ditch identity politics and cross over
and vote for her.

You seemingly perhaps don't understand the use of "identity politics" in general, and as used in my post.

Save    

Jasper Johns - flag art jasper johns art

Not abstract expressionist art - - but we still managed to survive creative interpretations of the US flag.

Save    
HU-885118952

"The Republicans would love for the Dem candidates to be fighting and driving wedges between themselves and their supporters"

I think they better start some level of fighting or they'll have a
good chance of ending up in a contested convention when the
superdelegates will come out to play. At that point, what voters - the
Dem elites take over the decision on behalf of lowly voters.

Fighting over issues is fine. What Warren did was pathetic, but it's who she is. I never paid all that much attention to her in Congress, but boy, she's a real piece of work; a liar and a cheat, and I'll bet those who know her are not surprised at her underhanded tactics.

3 Likes Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

"Many folks voted "not Trump" and that doesn't mean they wanted Hillary per se."

And it doesn't mean they did NOT want Hillary.

They must have really been out of touch with things if they didn't know that a vote AGAINST Trump had to be cast FOR someone--in this case, 3 million more cast their vote FOR Hillary.

I think they knew for whom they were voting.

Kate

Save    

Lots of projecting of Trump's character defects onto Democratic candidates . . .

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

Psssst -- the US flag is itself a manufactured symbol.

LOL- I guess you got me there Nancy. I suppose a better comment would have been to reassign symbolism.

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

dublinbay z6 (KS)

"Many folks voted "not Trump" and that doesn't mean they wanted Hillary per se."

And it doesn't mean they did NOT want Hillary.

Very good, Kate. You've got the point.

Save    
HU-885118952

nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10 Lots of projecting of Trump's character defects onto Democratic candidates

The 2020 Dems have plenty of character defects of their own to choose from. We don't need to project any of Trumps!

Yes, he does have them.

Save    
elvis

Nana H

I like the way they focus on real issues important to people and not on calling their political opponents stupid nicknames and insulting anyone who doesn't agree with them.

Yes, it's most distressing when that happens. You mean like this, right?

lily316:

3 Likes Save    

We don't need to project any of Trumps!

And yet here they are in this thread.

Yes, he does have them.

Having your personal goons threaten a US ambassador ranks among the worst.

Adding link:

Why Ambassador Yovanovitch was moved out of Ukraine so quickly

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5852016/why-ambassador-yovanovitch-was-moved-out-of-ukraine-so-quickly#n=107

2 Likes Save    
Current Resident(z4 WI)

Re: 'You seemingly perhaps don't understand the use of "identity politics"'

LOL I understand it just fine - maybe YOU mean it to only apply to liberal/left, but that is not a complete and accurate understanding of the phrase. Look it up.

Save    
Nana H

Elvis, no I don't mean like that. I mean how leaders and potential leaders conduct themselves. I hold those who are elected to high office to a higher standard in how they conduct themselves.

1 Like Save    
Current Resident(z4 WI)

Actually if yall had watched or listened to the debate you would know there was very little mention of the trumpster at all, except for referring to the need to beat him in the general election and the senators needing to be in DC for the impeachment hearing instead of on the campaign trail. It was by far mostly about what Dems would do if/when in power.

Can't we think about/discuss for two minutes something else besides the same old, same old.

2 Likes Save    
numbersjunkie

Just saw this article in the NYT (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/13/opinion/democratic-debate-iowa-caucus.html) written by a reported from Iowa. He seems to agree with what I said above - that the race there is fluid.

"What really matters happens on caucus night in about three weeks on Feb. 3. The conventional wisdom is that there are three tickets to the presidential nomination out of Iowa. That’s wrong. In such a big field, there are five or six tickets out of Iowa. To say otherwise does the candidates, our remaining states and, most important, our nation a disservice. It also gives Iowa too much power."

Not a big fan of Biden apparently -

"Nationally, Mr. Biden’s clearly in the driver’s seat, and we keep hearing that he’s the most “electable.” Here in Iowa, the ability to generate excitement is what makes a candidate win or place well on caucus night, not pundit perceptions of “electability” or poll position.

Mr. Biden has a lot to prove here. I’ve attended some of his town halls and rallies, and they’ve been lackluster, his speeches dull and meandering, and his crowds comparatively small. I’ve been to memorial services that are more exciting. I certainly hope mine is".

He's not convinced the top 4 have it locked -

"Among the “second-tier” candidates, support for Amy Klobuchar is swelling. Ms. Klobuchar’s friendly “senator from next door” pitch is resonating, and she is clearly one of us.

Andrew Yang is also interesting to watch. The Yang gang will caucus well, and Mr. Yang addresses issues others have chosen not to, like automation and job losses, and his Freedom Dividend makes sense to many".

2 Likes Save    
Del Phinium

dublinbay z6 (KS)

"And--they didn't actually watch/listen to the debate. They just like doing poke, poke, prod, prod."

^ Says the person whose first comment on this thread was this:

"I had prior commitments and couldn't watch the debate tonight. So I've been looking up some online comments about it."

At least you looked up "some online comments" about it though lol

5 Likes Save    
lily316

I'm not a huge fan of Amy's nor Biden but as I said before, I'd vote for one of my cats if it would get rid of trump. Buttigieg has always been my pick and remains so. I cannot think of a better ticket than Pete and Abrams.

1 Like Save    
chipotle

---------------------------------------------------

Good place to repeat Nancy's link.

Having your personal goons threaten a US ambassador ranks among the worst.

Adding link:

Why Ambassador Yovanovitch was moved out of Ukraine so quickly

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5852016/why-ambassador-yovanovitch-was-moved-out-of-ukraine-so-quickly#n=107

1 Like Save    
numbersjunkie

I agree with lily that Abrams would be a great VP pick for any of the candidates, especially a male. My dream ticket would be Yang/Abrams.

I think Pete is very intelligent, but TBH I think he comes across as sanctimonious and that will ultimately hurt him. He was initially high on my list but dropped off when, during the first debate, he laughed in reaction to Yang's freedom dividend policy.

Save    
lily316

My only problem with Pete is his young appearance. Although he turns 38 this week and will be almost 40 when he's inaugurated, he still looks like a teenager. Most of us would like to look a decade or two younger, but he looks so young standing with all those septuagenarians. His intelligence shines through his eyes while trump's eyes are dead looking like his soul.

2 Likes Save    
barncatz

I agree about Buttigieg appearing sanctimonious and I also thought long stretches of the debate were boring. But they often were answering questions I've heard them answer before.

I thought Klobuchar had some good answers but to me, she was not as effective as at the last debate, even though the group was smaller.

Save    
catkinZ8a

Liar Joe Biden re: the Iran nuke deal.

Idiot that he is.

It was not 11 minutes before a 2020 Democratic primary candidate told the first big lie of the seventh debate Tuesday evening at Drake University in Des Moines, Iowa.

The lie came courtesy of former Vice President Joe Biden, who claimed Iran adhered strictly to its 2015 nuclear agreement with the United States before President Trump came along and ruined everything.

Iran most certainly violated the terms of the deal prior to Trump leaving it.

Biden’s lie came in response to a question that was asked initially of Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont.

CNN’s Wolf Blitzer said, “In the wake of the Iran crisis, Iran’s Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has again called for all U.S. troops to be pulled out of the Middle East, something you [Sen. Sanders] have called for as well.”

“Yet,” Blitzer continued, “when American troops last left Iraq, [the Islamic State] emerged and spread terror across the Middle East and indeed around the world. How would you prevent that from happening again?”

Sanders responded. When the senator finished, Blitzer posed the same question to Biden.

“I was part of that deal to get the nuclear agreement with Iran, bringing together the rest of the world, including some of the folks who aren’t friendly to us,” said the 2020 Democratic front-runner.

He added, “And it was working. It was working; it was being held tightly; there was no movement on the part of the Iranian government to get closer to a nuclear weapon.”

Not quite.

Please enjoy the following news headlines published between 2015, the year the Obama White House agreed to deal with Iran, and 2018, the year Trump scuttled the deal:

• Reuters: “Iran once again exceeds a nuclear deal limit: IAEA report.”
  • Reuters: “Iran's October missile test violated U.N. ban: expert panel.”
  • CNN: “German intelligence: Iran may have tried to violate nuclear deal.”
  • L.A. Times: “Iran says military sites are off-limits for nuclear inspections despite U.S. pressure.”

Also, as the Washington Examiner laid out in a Jan. 8 editorial, it is important to note that the since-scuttled deal’s greatest flaw was that even if Tehran adhered strictly to the agreement, it did nothing to address Iran as a conventional threat.

“The Iran deal was not disastrous merely because Obama accepted a ludicrously weak inspections protocol, although he did. It was awful because, even if the deal were followed to the letter, it still enabled the regime to become a more powerful conventional threat by providing the mullahs with the money to pursue terrorism and the freedom to develop ballistic missiles,” the editorial reads. “Furthermore, restrictions imposed by the deal would have started to sunset after 10 years, meaning the terror state still maintained its long-term ability to develop nuclear weapons.”

For obvious reasons, Biden does not want to admit any of this. He certainly does not want to admit it on a debate stage, which makes sense. After all, it is savvier to lie and claim everything was good and fine before Trump came along than admit to having brokered a disastrously weak nuclear deal with the No. 1 state sponsor of terrorism.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/joe-biden-is-lying-by-claiming-iran-adhered-strictly-to-the-nuclear-deal-before-trump-came-along

joebideninfo.com

2 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

Maybe the Leftists can recruit the once considered party savior Michael Av----oh wait...

Michael Avenatti, Former Lawyer for Stormy Daniels, Arrested in California

Jan. 14, 2020, at 11:42 p.m.

Reuters) - Celebrity lawyer Michael Avenatti was arrested on Tuesday on accusations that he violated the terms of his release from custody while awaiting trial on charges that he sought to extort millions of dollars from Nike Inc., federal prosecutors said.

Avenatti, 48, whose trial in the Nike case is set to start next week, was taken into custody by agents from the Internal Revenue Service, said Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney's office in Los Angeles.

Mrozek said that he could not discuss the allegations that led to Avenatti's arrest because the documents had been sealed by a judge. An arrest warrant filed in U.S. District Court in New York does not spell out the accusations.

Avenatti, who gained international notoriety representing adult film star Stormy Daniels in a legal battle with U.S. President Donald Trump, was scheduled to appear in federal court in Santa Ana on Wednesday.

Earlier Tuesday, a federal judge in New York rejected a request by Avenatti to delay his trial in the Nike case after his lawyers complained that prosecutors had overwhelmed them with a "document dump" of new material.

Avenatti is accused of threatening to make public a client's claims that Nike had made improper payments to families of college basketball recruits unless the sportswear company paid him to conduct an internal investigation for $15 million to $25 million, and pay an additional $1.5 million to the client.

Avenatti has pleaded not guilty. Nike has denied any wrongdoing.

The high-profile lawyer also faces an April 21 trial in Manhattan over accusations he cheated Daniels out of proceeds from a book contract, and a May 19 trial in Santa Ana, California over allegations of defrauding clients out of millions of dollars and lying to the Internal Revenue Service.

He has also pleaded not guilty to those charges.

Avenatti became a prominent critic of Trump and frequent cable TV guest while representing Daniels, whose real name is Stephanie Clifford.

Daniels sued Trump over a nondisclosure agreement that in the weeks before the 2016 U.S. presidential election kept her from discussing her claims that they had had an extramarital affair 10 years earlier.

Avenatti faces up to 30 years in prison if convicted on the California charges and up to 20 years in the New York indictment.

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2020-01-14/michael-avenatti-former-lawyer-for-stormy-daniels-arrested-in-california

1 Like Save    
numbersjunkie

^^^^

Only Avanitti considered himself the party savior. Most of us spotted him right away to be a con man just like Trump. But hey - it was fun to watch him take on Trump.

2 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

What was fun was watching the fawning (and crushing on) and taking him seriously. Especially when he said he was considering running for President.

Brian Stelter's crush was the best.

That was HILARIOUS!

Save    
Rina

Good morning all from Joburg. Now this is an LOL -- I opted out of notifications last night and Houzz ignored me. I am no longer in charge of my destiny. However, rewarded by some interesting comments here -- the surveillance of Yovanovich is astounding, laid out in those messages like that. What a world.

Save    
althea_gw

I brought up the NAFTA question earlier, the one where the moderator cut Bernie off because his was talking about climate change in relation to trade.

Bernie has a new ally.

Save    
Ann

"Good morning all from Joburg. Now this is an LOL -- I opted out of notifications last night and Houzz ignored me. I am no longer in charge of my destiny. "

The good news is, you are in charge. You can ignore any thread you choose to:)

3 Likes Save    
chipotle

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

The good news is, you are in charge. You can ignore any thread you choose to:)

Embrace your internal locus of control ;-)

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

Climate change pork? Why should USMCA mention anything about climate change?

1 Like Save    
numbersjunkie

Gee lurker, don't you understand politics and diplomacy? Quid pro quo. Sound familiar? Common practice and perfectly acceptable as long as it's in the best interest of the country - and not a corrupt politican.

Save    
HU-885118952

numbersjunkie Gee
lurker, don't you understand politics and diplomacy? Quid pro quo.
Sound familiar? Common practice and perfectly acceptable as long as
it's in the best interest of the country - and not a corrupt politican

IOW, it's perfectly OK when our side does it.

1 Like Save    
numbersjunkie

As I said, its ok when it's in the best interests of the country, and not to benefit a corrupt politician. Big difference. What Trump did was against the best interests of the country - it was for his personal gain. It should be obvious to anyone with half a brain.

Save    

Qui pro quo -- or using extortion on the government of Ukraine to have them do Trump's bidding for his own personal gain.

Save    
lurker111

It's those 2 letter words again. Us means me. Investigating a crooked politician is always good for the country...Even if his name is biden and son.

2 Likes Save    
elvis

numbersjunkie wrote: What Trump did was against the best interests of the country - it was for his personal gain. It should be obvious to anyone with half a brain.

It's obvious to us whole-brainers that POTUS was acting in the best interests of the US.

Your opinion about what should or should not be obvious to anyone is irrelevant. You are of course welcome to your opinion, but watch it with the personal insults.

3 Likes Save    
numbersjunkie

My comment was not directed at any individual here. But if the shoe fits....

Save    
Rina

Ann, Hu, if you knew what I was coping with at home you would understand why my internal locus of control has gone to hell in a handbasket.

Save    
barncatz

Your opinion about what should or should not be obvious to anyone is irrelevant. You are of course welcome to your opinion, but watch it with the personal insults.

If I may quote a comment responding to me on Rina's shark column, "rolling my eyes".

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
White Kitchens Using White Marble: Hot Debate Over a Classic Beauty
Do you love perfection or patina? Here's how to see if marble's right for you
Full Story
Most Popular Colors of the Year: Look Back and Ahead for New Color Inspiration
See which color trends from 2014 are sticking, which ones struck out and which colors we’ll be watching for next year
Full Story
Biltmore Design Galleria is a Design-Build company with over 15 years or so of experience. We are firm believers... Read More