Border Patrol threw away migrants’ belongings. A janitor saved them...

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10)

...and photographed them.

This is extremely disturbing. Bibles and rosaries? Insulin? Toothbrushes? All deemed "nonessential"?

From December 2, 2019. Apologies if this is a repeat, but I just learned of it:

latimes.com/entertainment-arts/story/2019-12-02/tom-kiefer-exhibition-el-sueno-americano?mc_cid=c997aea359&mc_eid=94d0bec77b

"...These items were all seized from migrants and asylum seekers trekking through the desert in an attempt to cross the U.S.-Mexico border. Deemed potentially lethal or nonessential by border officials, the medications were thrown away, along with other personal belongings, during the first stages of processing at a U.S. Customs and Border Protection facility in southern Arizona....

...One of his first vivid memories from the job was seeing the canned food that the migrants carried. In his first two years on the job, agents collected the cans and brought them to a local food bank. But under new leadership, they were told to stop donating the food.

“For the next two years, I witnessed all this food being needlessly thrown out,” Kiefer said.

After asking for permission to collect the food again, he came into contact with other belongings.

The first items to pull Kiefer’s attention were 15 to 20 toothbrushes. At the time, he didn’t think about photographing them. He just felt compelled to remove them from the trash. “When I started seeing a rosary, or a Bible, or a wallet, I realized that no one would believe me if I had not collected these items.”..."

And I've been catching up with ThisAmericanLife.org episodes. This one from November 2019 takes a look at some of the less reported issues going on at our Southern border...

Full episode:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/688/the-out-crowd

Segment about asylum officers that is most disturbing, IMO:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/688/the-out-crowd/act-one-4

Article to which the above segment is linked:

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2019-11-15/asylum-officers-revolt-against-trump-policies-they-say-are-immoral-illegal

SaveComment48Like1
Comments (48)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elvis

I imagine the garbage bins at the airport TSA checkpoints are a lot more interesting.

2 Likes Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

I can't listen to this. Reading your post is hard enough. My imagination fills in the cruelty of some against the helplessness of others. I do what I can to help, but it ain't much in the scheme of things. All this is done in our name.

I am glad you posted, carole. These desperate souls can't look away.

7 Likes Save     Thanked by carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
HU-885118952

It's very sad. But let's not think this is about Trump. This encompasses Obama's entire 8 years.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/02/arts/immigrant-belongings-border-photos.html

3 Likes Save    

That article is from 2018.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Funny picture.

Save    

Not-so-funny lack of humanity...?

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

I don't think that picture exists outside of Paint. Not good enough for a Photoshop. Very amateur.

1 Like Save    

If someone chooses to ignore or dismiss info in the links provided, it seems to me their comments might deserve the same level of consideration or regard.

6 Likes Save    
lurker111

Fair enough. I never read .org activist websites.

Save    
Iris GW

I imagine the garbage bins at the airport TSA checkpoints are a lot more interesting.

Not even apples to apples.

4 Likes Save    
Delilah66

" Reading your post is hard enough. "

Zalco, are you referring to the OP or the first comment on the OP? The former is difficult; the latter is jetsam.

Save    
Lukki Irish

I feel the same way Carol, it’s really shocking to see. Normally, I’d say he brings out the worst in me, but when it comes to him, it’s the complete opposite, I’d be worried if I didn’t feel the way that I do.

4 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

I remember when these works first hit the news. the picture of the rosaries was so heart breaking. Rosaries are so personal. It is tearing away a big part of your life for no reason I can see. Taking everything away is so dehumanizing. Why not put these things in storage with the name of the owner. They do it for people going to jail.

5 Likes Save    

The cruelty seems to be the point.

And insulin? Insulin??? I cannot fathom confiscating someone's life saving medication and throwing it away.

3 Likes Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Delilah, I was commenting on the OP.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

I have heard they promise people will get new medication and often that doesn't happen. How do you get new insulin soon enough?

2 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"That article is from 2018."

Yep. From reading the article, we learn the time period in which the items were collected.

FTA: While working as a janitor at the same facility from 2003 to 2014, photographer Tom Kiefer secretly collected the belongings and later began shooting them.

3 Likes Save    
margaritadina

'' migrants and asylum seekers trekking through the desert in an attempt to cross the U.S.-Mexico border''

Immigrants and asylum seekers don't track though the desert. They come through the port of entry.

Nothing was taken from me (except some fruits) when I came. I myself and my belongings was treated with respect and was I told with the smile ''Welcome to the United States, Miss, hope you like it here".

On the border you get to keep your prescription medications only if you have a paper prescription(s) from the doctor in your country of origin translated and verified by the legal aid. NOTHING is new since the early 90s. But liberals just woke up.....

6 Likes Save    

Oh yes, of course no laws or protocols have changed at all during the ensuing decades - right? No new agencies have been created?

Anyone who listened to the This American Life episode would have heard that deception is not being perpetrated by people from Central and South America, but that people from China and India are the ones who are lying to get in. Yet it is the people in the most danger who are being denied asylum. Even people who've been adjudicated to be allowed to enter our country are being sent back.

Also this:

Non-refoulement (/rəˈfuːlmɒ̃/) is a fundamental principle of international law that forbids a country receiving asylum seekers from returning them to a country in which they would be in likely danger of persecution based on "race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion".[1] Unlike political asylum, which applies to those who can prove a well-grounded fear of persecution based on certain category of persons, non-refoulement refers to the generic repatriation of people, including refugees into war zones and other disaster locales. It is a principle of customary international law, as it applies even to states that are not parties to the 1951 Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees or its 1967 Protocol.[2] It is also a principle of the trucial law of nations.

That's the part of the law that USA is violating at present.

1 Like Save    
margaritadina

''

The cruelty seems to be the point.

And insulin? Insulin??? I cannot fathom confiscating someone's life saving medication and throwing it away.
''

Yes, carolb, insulin. And asthma rescue inhalers and high blood pressure meds - all will go in the garbage without the proof that these are legally prescribed medicines. You can't fathom it, but there are RULES that's been there for decades and that liberals try so hard to overwrite.

Save    

These are NOT people immigrating illegally, they are people applying for asylum. They're not sneaking over the border or running away from border patrol, they are turning themselves in. Most are fleeing murder, rape, kidnapping and terrorism in their own countries. They are not criminals, they are prey to criminals - especially now that we have made them much easier targets for the cartels.

It is apparently much easier to reject the truth when one avoids any true information.

I strongly suggest listening to or reading the transcripts of the stories in the links I provided before judging somebody undeserving.

And this fully disingenuous argument that we need to take care of own and helping others is outside our means as a nation, or offers our country zero benefits, falls flat, when one considers how well GOP lawmakers are 'taking care' of needy people already here, who happen to already be legal US citizens.

The goal is NO public assistance, NO public benefits like schooling or healthcare, NO regulation of anything, NO protections at all - except for the wealthiest. Couch it in seemingly reasonable arguments as much as you like; the heartless GOP agenda is clear to most people who pay attention to such things.

4 Likes Save    
war garden

they don't qualify for asylum

1 Like Save    
elvis

They are not criminals, they are prey to criminals - especially now that we have made them much easier targets for the cartels.

Huh. How did "we" do that, carol?

Save    
Jonnygun(zone 7)

Oh boo hoo. Stay home and apply for visas like everybody else.

Save    
HU-885118952

carol, many if not most of those migrants PAY cartels and coyotes to ferry them up to our border. They put themselves and their children in harm's way.

3 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Stop supporting the ngo's that encourage, assist and coach these migrants so they understand they must enter through proper channels and really, truly understand their chances of getting in, and the risks they assume.

3 Likes Save    
elvis

So we see.

Save    

How we've made these people easier targets is in the links I provided.

Save    
elvis

"Janitor"? This guy is a professional artist/photographer, who got a part-time job so that he would have access to this garbage. I imagine he's making good money off it, and his PR schtick probably goes over very well in LA.

This is not a guy who set up a soup kitchen for the homeless.

“There’s definitely a psychological and emotional weight to all this,” he said. “But because I … saved them from the landfill, I have a personal connection to them.”

The first subject was a mountainous pile of water bottles. About 10 images into the documentation, something clicked. He assembled brushes and combs over a black background. “After I shot it and looked at it, it was like, ‘Oh my God, this is it,’” Kiefer said.

Kiefer moved to Ajo, Ariz., in 2001 after 20 years of working as a graphic designer and later an antique store owner in L.A. In search of more affordable living, he bought a home and began traveling the country to photograph buildings, landscapes and cultural markers, “the things that make America, America,” he said.

In 2003, he took a part-time job as a janitor at a U.S. Customs and Border Protection facility near Ajo to help sustain his creative practice.

More than 100 of his photos make up the exhibition “El Sueño Americano / The American Dream: Photographs by Tom Kiefer” on view at the Skirball Cultural Center until March 8.

3 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"These are NOT people immigrating illegally, they are people applying for asylum."

I read the article. If you had, you would know the items were collected between 2003 and 2014. You would also know the owners of the items are identified as "migrants" and "asylum seekers."

Mass gaming of our asylum system is a recent phenomenon. That wasn't the in thing to do until after President Trump was elected.

Biased writers refer sympathetically to "migrants" without further identifying what kind of "migrants" they're talking about for a reason. They choose that word because the legal term "illegal alien" properly identifies the activity the "migrant" is engaged in. Sloppy readers come away knowing less than they think they do, exactly as the biased writer expects.

4 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Thank you, adoptedbyhounds, you can always be counted on for exposing the fallacial manipulation of facts.

2 Likes Save    
bleusblue2

OK, I get it. no combs and brushes for migrants and asylum seekers.

1 Like Save    

Yes, and the greatest number of immigrants 'gaming the system' are from China and India, according to the asylum officers interviewed on This American Life - which I already referred to. They are not from Honduras and other Central and South American countries.

And do some here not know that immigration and asylum policies, procedures and laws have been changed by this president? This has not been widely reported, so perhaps they missed it?

And according to our laws, seeking asylum is not illegal, it's not a criminal act. There is no good reason people seeking asylum should be punished or treated like criminals - other than bigotry and white nationalism, I guess...

1 Like Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

I don't care whose watch it started on (if that is even true). Stop taking their medication. End it. If he's so eff'ing terrific and powerful, then he needs to end it. The problem arises when he makes it worse. He has no interest in helping them in any way. Regardless if their lives were being threatened and if they were willing to come here and work for what they needed in life.

ETA: and this reminds me of piles of belongings taken away at places like Auschwitz. They do this to strip them of any sense of humanity.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
Stan Areted

It is not any president's JOB to "help" people that are citizens of other countries. President Trump has in fact done that, but not in the way some want.

We have enough problems of our own, and they should not be exacerbated by illegals wanting to cut in line and break our laws to get in our country and take advantage of taxpaying citizens.

3 Likes Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

No person is eligible for asylum. No one. I see.

Refugees are everyone's responsibility, not a problem. We are our brothers' keeper.

3 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Individually, we are our brother's keeper, for those of us that accept that notion.

A country cannot be forced to accept and put in place the notions of some if they are not our law.

Some don't ascribe to that notion and it's inaccurate to assume and assign that burden on those that do not.

People are eligible for asylum application to this country, pursuant to the laws of this country.

Who said they weren't?

2 Likes Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

https://www.uscis.gov/humanitarian/refugees-asylum/asylum

from their website:

"...If you are eligible for asylum you may be permitted to remain in the United States. To apply for Asylum, file a Form I-589, Application for Asylum and for Withholding of Removal, within one year of your arrival to the United States. There is no fee to apply for asylum.
You may include your spouse and children who are in the United States
on your application at the time you file or at any time until a final
decision is made on your case..."

You said they were illegals trying to cut in line, stan. How do you which ones are "illegal"?

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

Perhaps you did not read my post above:

"People are eligible for asylum application to this country, pursuant to the laws of this country.

Who said they weren't?"

Did any government official break any laws regarding disposing of belongings?

2 Likes Save    
margaritadina

''carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b(zone 9/10) These are NOT people immigrating illegally, they are people applying for asylum.''

People who apply for asylum do NOT trek through the desert. They go through ports of entry that is been provided to them and paid for by the US tax payers. These are illegal aliens who say ''asylum'' IF caught.

''Most are fleeing murder, rape, kidnapping and terrorism in their own countries.''

None of the above covers grounds for asylum.

You are not fooling anyone with the ''asylum'' nonsense

''rob333 (zone 7a ETA: and this reminds me of piles of belongings taken away at
places like Auschwitz. They do this to strip them of any sense of
humanity.

''

It wouldn't if you learn a history of Jews genocide. Not a single Jew/political/military prisoner ever ran to the concentration camp(s). None. They were taken their by force to be killed there.

The sense of humanity is stripped when old, sick, children below 3 feet of height are shot at arrival, men and women are pushed in a room and ordered to strip naked, women's heads shaved off their long hair, jewelry removed, golden teeth crowns are pulled out by pliers, and people are forced into the pool filled with toxic disinfectant used to reed sheep of lice. Those who try to keep there heads above the liquid are forced to submerge their heads by been hit with long poles. This is how the sense humanity is stripped.

My grandfather saw what was going on in Treblinka and other con camps after Nazis were kicked out of Poland, he never talked about it, it was that horrible. Liberals need to stop this stupid and insulting to victims analogy.

2 Likes Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"You said they were illegals trying to cut in line, stan. How do you which ones are "illegal"?"

The OP never mentions "illegals," as if illegal aliens don't exist. As if the writer has no illegal activity to report. The OP couches their presence, by referring to asylum seekers and "migrants." Migrants enter the US legally and illegally, as the writer well knows. The writer successfully confused some readers, as intended, by not honestly reporting what kind of "migrants" tried to enter the US while carrying impermissible items.

2 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Most are fleeing murder, rape, kidnapping and terrorism in their own countries.''

None of the above covers grounds for asylum. "

Not now. This was changed in this administration. Changed to court the support of people like you Margarita. Trump on the other hand has hired and kept illegals in his businesses for up wards of 30 years. People he routinely met and talked to knowing they were illegal. he didn't care why apparently.

1 Like Save    
elvis

Keep in mind that all the outraged are apparently assuming that every item this financially resourceful and manipulative artist says he "found in the landfill" was removed involuntarily from the aliens by CBP. Common sense must tell you that people lose things via carelessness, and also throw things away. Just sayin'.

4 Likes Save    
margaritadina

''

patriciae_gw(07)

Most are fleeing murder, rape, kidnapping and terrorism in their own countries.''

None of the above covers grounds for asylum. "
Not now. This was changed in this administration. Changed to court the support of people like you Margarita.

''

patricia, may I ask you a favor? Never bring up the fact that I am immigrant in the discussion of the illegal immigration. It is extremely insulting. I am not a manipulative thief and always followed the law to the letter. Hope we understand each other.

6 Likes Save    
lurker111

End it. If he's so eff'ing terrific and powerful, then he needs to end it.

Trump did. :^)

1 Like Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Most are fleeing murder, rape, kidnapping and terrorism in their own countries.''

No one says they can't flee. What has changed is that our president understands that under the "honor system" anyone could claim to be at risk. No need to stop at the first safe country, either. That's why masses of "asylum seekers" arrived at our borders expecting to be released without having to wait in line. It worked until President Trump stood up for Americans and their right to expect anyone who enters the US to do so legally. By forcing supposed asylees to wait in Mexico, President Trump has done a service to all law abiding Americans and those would-be immigrants who play by the rules and wait their turn.

1 Like Save    

Is Margaritadina is the only immigrant who followed the law to enter the USA?

And why would being known to have immigrated to the USA be any kind of an insult?

Who here does NOT have a family history of coming here from somewhere else?

The Kushner family were refugees.

Also curious how many here, supporting harsh treatment of immigrants, would accept the excuse "Other people did it first." as justification for any other kind of wrongdoing?

The prior comment exhibits the worst kind of rationalization for inhumanity, as well as what appears to be utter ignorance of the info I shared.

And re-posting this, because it also appears some people either do not read all the comments before offering their considered wisdom on the topic, or perhaps they disregard them:

Non-refoulement (/rəˈfuːlmɒ̃/) is a fundamental principle of international law that forbids a country receiving asylum seekers from returning them to a country in which they would be in likely danger of persecution based on "race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion".[1] Unlike political asylum, which applies to those who can prove a well-grounded fear of persecution based on certain category of persons, non-refoulement refers to the generic repatriation of people, including refugees into war zones and other disaster locales. It is a principle of customary international law, as it applies even to states that are not parties to the 1951 Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees or its 1967 Protocol.[2] It is also a principle of the trucial law of nations.

That's the part of the law that USA is violating at present.

Save    
elvis

Have fun with that new phrase.

International law differs from state-based legal systems in that it is primarily—though not exclusively—applicable to countries, rather than to individuals, and operates largely through consent, since there is no universally accepted authority to enforce it upon sovereign states.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Moving Downsizing Help: How to Edit Your Belongings
Learn what to take and what to toss if you're moving to a smaller home
Full Story
Decluttering 4 Obstacles to Decluttering — and How to Beat Them
Letting go can be hard, but it puts you more in control of your home's stuff and style. See if any of these notions are holding you back
Full Story
Community How Your Landscaping Can Keep Burglars Away
Prevent home break-ins with strategic landscaping and good practices instead of menacing — and maybe less effective — measures
Full Story