American's take on iran attack: not good for trump

Annie Deighnaugh

Americans by more than 2-1 said the killing of Iranian Gen. Qasem Soleimani has made the United States less safe, a nationwide USA TODAY/Ipsos Poll finds, amid broad concerns about the potential consequences ahead.

A majority of those surveyed, by 52%-34%, called President Donald Trump's behavior with Iran "reckless."...

But there was overwhelming agreement – in each case by more than 6-1 – that the attack made it more likely Iran would strike American interests in the Middle East (69%), that there would be terrorist attacks on the American homeland (63%), and that the United States and Iran would go to war (62%).

Source USA Today

SaveComment143Like4
Comments (143)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Iris GW

Yep, less safe. Everyone I know thinks that.

Thanks, Trump.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

It is scary to be sure. Trump probably recruited more for ISIS than they could in years.

3 Likes Save    
Kathy

2 Likes Save    
Delilah66

now, now, pippabean, don’t get ahead of yourself.

2 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Ah. So the attack might have come sometime, somewhere, eventually.

Under the jail is where they belong.

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Ah. So the attack might have come sometime, somewhere, eventually.

and would you think another 9/11 would be Ah, so....

Save    
THOR, Son of ODIN(2)

25 for 45.

5 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

Such lies about why he took out soleimani...at yesterday's rally pence was saying it was because of the American who was killed and mentioned no "imminent threat". It's clear trump makes these decisions out of his alimentary canal and then his staff is left trying to make excuses and rational and "legal" explanations for the idiotic and often illegal choices he's made.

9 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

margo, wake up...there was *no* imminent attack like 9/11 in the US targeted...but instead we now have 176 dead civilians as a result of the choice trump made to distract from his impeachment. We also have a more united iran and iraq, we have iraq calling for US ouster from the region, we have martyred a man who is now the biggest recruiting catalyst for terrorist and rebels in the region, have abandoned the fight to root out isis and screwed the kurds who helped us in that, and we have ceded US bases in syria to the russians while putin is running around the mideast with meetings in damascus and with erdogan.

Does that make you feel safer?

11 Likes Save    
lurker111

We didn't attack Iran. We killed a terrorist in Iraq. Trump called it "retribution" from day one.

Ellie: "The world's take on Trump's assassination...."

LOL! I wish!

There you have it.

we now have 176 dead civilians. We also have a more united
iran and iraq, we have iraq calling for US ouster from the region, we
have martyred a man... and we have ceded US
bases in syria to the russians .

Who is this "we"?

1 Like Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

But, but, but he could stand in the middle of Fifth Avenue and shoot somebody and not be prosecuted. Right? That's not right? He's not above international law?

3 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Trumpers cannot discern that the “reasons” behind Trump’s decisions change every hour, much less question why that is.

4 Likes Save    
paprikash

Love it when the uninformed feel they know everything and just how clear it is. Everyone on my FB and even liberal friends of mine are on our President’s side on this — of course, I don’t have any Iranian sympathizers in my circle.

eta Liberals are just not used to a strong, decisive, smart President — their hero was the weak and feckless Obama

1 Like Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I'm not an iranian sympathizer paprikash and I don't know of anyone who lauds soleimani as so many gop were accusing the dems of doing yesterday. Those were all lies.

Rather, as in so many international affairs, they are complex and the calculus is complicated. Presidents before trump had the opportunity to take out the likes of soleimani and chose not to recognizing the costs to the US and its interests in the region would far outweigh the benefits. trump took that risk and now we are seeing that the assessments of the aftermath of such a move were correct. The mess in the mideast is only so much worse.

6 Likes Save    
Iris GW

Not a lot of Americans here.

Are you confessing?

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

Dream on.

Presidents before trump had the opportunity to take out the likes of
soleimani and chose not to recognizing the costs to the US and its
interests in the region would far outweigh the benefits.

Riiight.

1 Like Save    
Delilah66

“Everyone on my FB and even liberal friends of mine are on our President’s side on this ”

That statement has no merit. Imagine Tucker Carlson saying that. Your FB friends? Are they like “my train friends”, ie strangers who agree with you? I think your liberal “friends” are out of their minds or comfort zone.

2 Likes Save    
paprikash

I have a very diverse group of friends and family—NO Iranian sympathizers

Save    
dandyfopp

The amazing stories of the liberals who love Donnie always remind me of the hipster coffee shop meme.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-just-left-a-hipster-coffee-shop

4 Likes Save    
rob333 (zone 7a)

paprikash, No one here is sympathizing. Undoubtedly, many would've backed what happened should he have been making plans and IF cheetohead had discussed it with other world/US leaders. The action may have even averted some issues? Who knows. It's HOW he went about it that bothers many. I know that's a distinction alt-right won't get. We're chastising him for his action because it was illegal, not because we side with the Irani.

5 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I have a feeling that either paprikash's 'liberal' friends aren't so liberal, or else they've just decided not to argue.

Or if the approach, as presented here by paprikash, is binary: you are either an iranian sympathizer or you support trump, then of course liberals will say they are not iranian sympathizers, so then the assumption can be made that even liberal friends support trump.

5 Likes Save    
Joaniepoanie

Trump, Haley, McCarthy and others out and out LIED when they said Nancy/Dems were defending Soleimani. A reprehensible lie and even more reprehensible attempt to smear Nancy/Dems. There are no depths the GOP will not sink to.

8 Likes Save    
Nana H

Tell a Trump supporter what they think and heads explode yet telling liberals what they think is done daily, even hourly.

Liberals aka the left do NOT sympathize with Iran nor do they think Solemani is a victim. Quite the opposite.

What they do question is Trump's motivation, timing and lack of transparency in a matter that is of great national and international security. They is their right!

Liberals aka the left are NOT sore losers, they are upset with what they see as a dangerous, reckless, dishonest liar in charge of the most powerful country in the world. That is their right!

Now, unless you want to say that the above statement is a lie stop telling liberals what they think because it is untrue.

8 Likes Save    
Iris GW

This talking point about liberals being Iranian sympathizers or terrorist supporters is just so unpatriotic.

9 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

It is pathetic and desperate.

Donnie is not a king. No imminent threat- he should have gone to congress for authorization. If you have a problem with that, you have a problem with the constitution.

8 Likes Save    
paprikash

It’s unpatriotic in my view. Trying to sugarcoat it doesn’t change the fact that many are supporting Iran over the USA.

3 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

No, they are not.

Donnie is not the USA,

15 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

paprikash: ...the fact that many are supporting Iran over the USA.

How about backing up that statement with evidence...facts, data. I know of no one who is supporting Iran over the US* and I've not seen any evidence of it. Just because a bunch of radicals in the gop say it doesn't make it true.

--------------

*obviously, I mean in the US and its allies. Of course in Iran and Iraq there are a *lot of people* ... certainly more than before the drone strike ... who support Iran over the US. Soleimani is becoming the biggest terrorist recruitment poster boy since OBL.

4 Likes Save    
lurker111

The nuthouse crats are trying to pass a bill that prevents any action against Iran without their approval.

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

"a bill that prevents any action against Iran without their approval."

Not exactly. (It's a feeble summary.)

Please prove the "any" part.

Save    
Nana H

I have not seen one single solitary comment supporting Iran over the US. It simply is not true. It may be your perception but that doesn't make it so.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

Actions speak louder than words.

2 Likes Save    
queenmargo

Perception is Key.

1 Like Save    
katrina_ellen

I have an idea, why doesn't the left have a march to support the rights of terrorists?

Save    
Nana H

Well, good to know it is a matter of personal perception not fact.

1 Like Save    
paprikash

rob333 (zone 7a)

Let's not forget anyone who is not alt-right is a liberal. Me, for instance. Uh no. I'm a moderate or conservative on many things. Never been a liberal in my life. It's all or nothing kind of thing for them. So when pap says liberal, he means not alt-right.

———-

how the heck would you know what I mean. One thing I do know is I will never skew my views to the majority’s view on this forum to avoid being picked on.

2 Likes Save    
Iris GW

doesn’t change the fact that many are supporting Iran over the USA.

Nope. False. Fake News. Not a fact at all.

3 Likes Save    
bleusblue2

paprikash

rob333 (zone 7a)

Let's not forget anyone who is not alt-right is a liberal. Me, for instance. Uh no. I'm a moderate or conservative on many things. Never been a liberal in my life. It's all or nothing kind of thing for them. So when pap says liberal, he means not alt-right.

———-

how the heck would you know what I mean. One thing I do know is I will never skew my views to the majority’s view on this forum to avoid being picked on.

~~~~

oh for heaven's sake -- who in THIS forum would even have such a thought? "Avoid being picked on?"

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Dems do not support Iranian Terrorism. It’s another twisting of logic. RW logic is if we criticize Trump we hate his supporters. If we criticize Trump we are support his enemy. That is twisted logic to make conservatives feel as if they are the only patriotic Americans.

The truth is we want Trump to follow the laws of the Constitution when it comes to the Presidency.

2 Likes Save    
zmith

The truth is we want Trump to follow the laws of the Constitution when it comes to the Presidency.

^^^^THIS!!! Let's add everyone in DC while we're at it.

2 Likes Save    
Toby

Has taking out any one terrorist ever made America and the world safer? Of course not. There are plenty more to take their place, and Iran isn't done retaliating. Now Iraq wants our troops out sooner rather than later. From what I've read today, they said that the use of drones in their airspace violated their agreement with the US.

4 Likes Save    
Farshteyn

Ann ‘margo, wake up...there was *no* imminent attack like 9/11 in the US targeted..’

Doesn’t this throw anyone back to the 1998-1999 time frame with the embassy bombings and bin Ladin? I remember living overseas at that time prior to 911 and my teenagers going to school for years with soldiers armed with M16’s - I would tell my family stateside about the heightened security and they said I should return back to US were it was safe. They were shocked with 9-11, Me - not so much.

How I wish Clinton would have chosen to do what needed to be done.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

wake up...there was *no* imminent attack like 9/11 in the US targeted

When did 9/11 become the standard? Good grief!

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

How I wish GWB's team listened to the warning about the planned attack on the US by OBL and that they weren't all so focused on iraq at the expense of paying attention to all of clinton's warnings that al qaeda represented the worst security threat to the nation.

3 Likes Save    
lurker111

Blame Bush for Clinton's failures? Seems like the normal thing to do.

1 Like Save    
dandyfopp

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

"Ah. So the attack might have come sometime, somewhere, eventually."

Yep. The Obama administration had a name for it. "Continuing Imminent Threat."

It issued policies and procedures recognizing such situations could well arise, in which there would be a need to use "...lethal force against an individual who poses a continuing, imminent threat to another country's persons."

1 Like Save    
Farshteyn

Annie- How I wish GWB's team listened to the warning about the planned attack on the US by OBL and that they weren't all so focused on iraq at the expense of paying attention to all of clinton's warnings that al qaeda represented the worst security threat to the nation.“

I believe you have the time frame wrong for when OBL should have been stopped. He was a credible Imminent threat years before 911 and BClinton chose to pass it on...

2 Likes Save    
2 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

Guess you haven't read the polls. Most Americans agree with Trumps action.

Obama has authorized 506 strikes that have killed 3,040 terrorists and 391 civilians.

I must have missed your outrage.

2 Likes Save    
elvis

The OP:

American's take on iran attack: not good for trump

Annie Deighnaughon Thursday

"Not good for Trump", you say. Yet on ddf's thread earlier in the week, you asserted that POTUS took this action to further his marketing campaign. Which is it?

On the 10 Rockets thread, page 2:

Annie Deighnaugh

All I can say is I'm glad no one in my family is of draft age...

...and trump certainly was successful in his marketing campaign...no one is talking about his impeachment now or asking for his income taxes...all of that's been pushed off the front page.

7 Likes Save on Tuesday at 5:15PM

Save    
HU-885118952

This image of Trump’s Missile Slapped puss is getting a lot of giggles
in Russian media. Putin loves a good laugh at America's expense.

Did the image of Suleimani's dismembered and burned body get a rise out of them?

Save    
HU-885118952

petalique

Trumpies — your “genius” making America less great, less safe. Putin’s gotta love his idiot.

Europe is aligning with the U.S. and to say Putin is happy about what Trump did is disingenuous at best.

Save    
Iris GW

Guess you haven't read the polls. Most Americans agree with Trumps action.

Do you have some poll information to share on that, mrskjun? Was it this one?:

Americans by more than 2-1 said the killing of Iranian Gen. Qasem Soleimani has made the United States less safe, a nationwide USA TODAY/Ipsos Poll finds, amid broad concerns about the potential consequences ahead.

A majority of those surveyed, by 52%-34%, called President Donald Trump's behavior with Iran "reckless."

Americans were divided on the wisdom of the drone strike at the Baghdad airport last week that killed Soleimani and others: 42% supported it, 33% opposed it; 25% said they didn't know what to think. Republicans were much more supportive than Democrats; independents were almost evenly split.

But there was overwhelming agreement – in each case by more than 6-1 – that the attack made it more likely Iran would strike American interests in the Middle East (69%), that there would be terrorist attacks on the American homeland (63%), and that the United States and Iran would go to war (62%).

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/01/09/killing-soleimani-made-us-less-safe-trump-reckless-iran-poll/2835962001/

2 Likes Save    
Ann

I think this is my first post on this thread and I haven't read any of it, but was just looking for an active thread about Iran.

The purpose of this comment is to say there was an excellent interview with General Jack Keane on the Journal Editorial Report that covered all aspects of the situation with Iran. If you are interested, this show airs a number of times tomorrow on Fox News. It was the very beginning of the show, for (I'm guessing) about 10 minutes.

ETA: Continuing to watch, the next segment of that show was very good too. A panel discussed the reactions from the various Dem nominees and who they think will benefit and be hurt based on their reaction to the Iran situation.

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

In that poll, Americans supported the killing of Soleimani 42 percent to 33 percent. How is that "not good for Trump" Annie?

2 Likes Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

elvis: Which is it?

It is both. He was successful at pushing impeachment off the headlines. But if he thought he was getting a two-fer...that by going after iran, it would help him get reëlected...as he suggested years ago obama would and for the same reason... he was wrong on that.

1 Like Save    
adoptedbyhounds

Americans supported the killing of Soleimani 42 percent to 33 percent.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

I think it's a good thing Soleimani is dead.....and I don' t believe for one second Trump and Pompeo have been truthfull about motivation and timing ......and I don' t believe the world is safer, far from it.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

What do the other 25% think?

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

Americans aren’t mourning Soleimani. We are concerned about the aftermath and President over stepping his war powers. Why wasn’t the WH forthcoming about the mission? And why the ever changing stories? What are they hiding now?

1 Like Save    
HU-885118952

Iranians aren't mourning Suleimani either. They are told to get out in the streets and demonstrate. It's expected.

Drawing an equivalence between Suleimani's death and MLK's assassination is a slap in the face to Americans, especially the black community.

Iran is a Theocratic police state, not a real democracy. The secular government answers to the Ayatollah in charge.

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

adopted, were you going to ignore the 25% who hadn't made up their mind?

I posted the whole text, I wasn't hiding it.

Save    
HU-885118952

The Obama administration was at fault for supplying Iran with the ransom money that was used to complete the Russian arms deal despite Kerry's alleged objections. If the Obama admin. were smart the nuclear deal would have forbade Iran from buying any future arms from Russia.

But now we know Russian SAMs can bring down commercial airplanes.

Save    
Iris GW

the nuclear deal would have forbade Iran from buying any future arms from Russia.

The deal that Trump pulled out of? Besides, I'm sure Trump is happy for Russia to make money off arms sales.

2 Likes Save    
cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)(zone 7, Northern VA)

Catkin, did you post a similar meme when we shot down an Iranian passenger jet?

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Collins

Let me be clear: I do not believe Democrats are in love with terrorists, and I apologize for what I said earlier this week. (1/5)

https://twitter.com/RepDougCollins/status/1215672265695776768?s=19

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Did he make his apology announcement on Fox? If not, it’s just a token after the fact.

3 Likes Save    
mrskjun(9)

I have an idea. Let's not just say that Trump killed a terrorist, let's say he performed a late term abortion. Win win.

Save    
Delilah66

"I think this is my first post on this thread and I haven't read any of it, but was just looking for an active thread about Iran."

I really am enraptured by honesty. You could have started your own thread; otherwise, you risk losing legitimacy.

Save    
queenmargo

I really am enraptured by honesty. You could have started your own thread; otherwise, you risk losing legitimacy.

LOL- by who? lol

1 Like Save    
Delilah66

LOL- by whom? lol

Save    
queenmargo

LOL- I am enraptured by honesty lol

1 Like Save    
Kathy

If Trump was smart he would have expanded the Iran deal by establishing Trust and negotiating. Instead he blew it out of the water and ramped up the animosity.

1 Like Save    
petalique

That supposed poll is without context. Sure, that horrific monster is dead. Good. But there is more to the situation than the twisted simplistic drama offered by imPOTUS, Pomposeo, and RW fast glib media.

I wonder how many of the impeached potus followers can distinguish between Iran, Iraq, and a rock.

The brash, impulsive, insecure reality tv star wanted to distract and score a political point with his fans. Result: chaos, more upheaval, no plan, no strategy (concept of strategy is beyond Donald Trump’s grasp, he doesn’t do abstract). Over 175 incinerated innocent people — children, graduate students, promising engineers. Donny treats himself to burgers and golf.

2 Likes Save    
petalique

“ If Trump was smart ...”

Save    
Delilah66

"The purpose of this comment"

Not relevant. LOL

Save    
Ann

"I really am enraptured by honesty. You could have started your own thread; otherwise, you risk losing legitimacy."

I LOVE this, LOL. Let's see, I could have started my own thread - Sure, but chose to toss it into this thread instead. IMO, it wasn't worthy of a thread, just very interesting to me and about the Iran situation. So, I could have started a thread or tossed it in this thread. Notice which I chose:)

"you risk losing legitimacy" - LOL, OH NO and legitimacy with you? Okay, I'll take the risk:)

4 Likes Save    
Delilah66

Was it a worthy non sequitur?

Save    
HU-885118952

The assumption that Ann would value the validation...lol.

1 Like Save    
Delilah66

Of course, she would, HU-******952

Save    
Ann

HU, :)

1 Like Save    
Delilah66

"legitimacy with you"

Yes, you notice I am the only person that posts on HT - not. Maybe I was looking after your best interests.

Save    
Ann

Delilah, your comments just keep getting better and better. Thanks a million for your interest in my best interests!

2 Likes Save    
Iris GW

Does anyone think that these numbers are favorable?

Save    
HU-885118952

Ann, how's that vote to limit Trump's war powers looking right now, as Iranians are in the streets demanding, "Khamenei have shame. Leave the country."?

LOL.

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

How are those two related, 52?

Save    
HU-885118952

Nobel Prize winning President Obama’s first drone attack after just three days on the job killed 210 civilians.

After two terms:

540 drone attacks

3,797 deaths

324 civilian deaths

Save    
Iris GW

That doesn't really answer my question about Trump's war powers and Iranian protests.

Save    
Delilah66

"Delilah, your comments just keep getting better and better. Thanks a million for your interest in my best interests!"

Yeah, no. I was pulling a trump. Guilty.

Save    
Ann

Iris, the Dems have worked themselves into yet another corner. In this corner, terrorists could and should walk all over the US (because we will never stop them or ever stick to a red line), they (Dems) are opposed to efforts to protect Americans, and they (Dems) think it a terrible idea to take out one of the world's most brutal men. Hmmm, that's a strong position and one that should be quite comforting to voters.

And, this particular corner all happened due to TDS in its extreme. What a complicated web Dems weave for themselves over their Trump obsession. You'd think they'd learn to think before they react too fast and without thought to the damage they might cause themselves, but nope, they can't wait 5 minutes to stop and consider the consequences of their knee jerk reactions and words.

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Trump has spent his whole 3 years trying to outdo Obama. So far he hasn’t reached a fraction of the level of respect or popularity Obama has in the world. It must rally bother him and Reps because they keep bringing up Obama.

Save    
Kathy

Did Trump make the world more safe by killing Soleimani? That’s the question.

Instead of stopping Iran from gaining a nuclear weapon, the Trump administration has accelerated that possibility. Instead of securing greater influence in the Middle East, it has likely lost it, particularly in Iraq, which voted to expel U.S. troops on Monday. Instead of reestablishing deterrence, it has invited more attacks, if not outright war.

Save    
Delilah66

"terrorists could and should walk all over the US "

By "terrorists", you mean trump et al, right?

Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,maifleur,others(8a)

I hate that Obama used drones to such an extent and I really hate that civilians were killed.

I like that I have that information so that I can hate it.

How many people has Trump droned?

Save    
Joaniepoanie

I heard retired Colonel Lawrence Wilkerson on AM Joy this morning. The gist of what he said:

Assassinating Soleimani was not warranted at this time. There was NO imminent threat. Pompeo and Esper were planning to assassinate Soleimani for at least a month——so where’s the imminence? Then Trump and Pompeo keep flip flopping on their story (one embassy, four embassies, etc) which illustrates the lies, incompetence and stupidity of this administration. This was a strategic disaster. Trump has NOT made us safer with this decision, he has brought us closer to war, which Pompeo and Graham and other hawkish Senators are clamoring for.

1 Like Save    
elvis

I heard retired Colonel Lawrence Wilkerson on AM Joy this morning. The gist of what he said:

Assassinating Soleimani was not warranted at this time. There was NO imminent threat.

How would he know?

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

Soleimani was second in command to Khamenei, the Supreme Leader of Iran, the head of the armed forces, politics, and religion. He is the only one who can declare war. I doubt we have seen the end of his wrath towards US and that is the current concern. The Trump WH is not imho, equipped to handle this level of confrontation set up by killing Soleimani. They cannot even get their story straight.

Save    
Ann

Kathy, I'd say they are handling the Iran situation spectacularly well!

1 Like Save    
Iris GW

Ann, do you think this poll indicates that Americans like the way it is being handled?

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

There are multiple "numbers" to evaluate. The polling shows people expect retaliation, yet approve of the President's actions.

Save    
dublinbay z6 (KS)

"Americans were divided on the wisdom of the drone strike at the Baghdad airport last week that killed Soleimani and others: 42% supported it, 33% opposed it; 25% said they didn't know what to think."

I'm not sure why some posters are making such a big deal about LESS than 50% support for the drone/Soleimani attack. If 42% support it, that means that 58% did NOT support it.

That is something to brag about?

Kate

Save    
bleusblue2

Ann

Kathy, I'd say they are handling the Iran situation spectacularly well!

~~

pulled out of the Iran agreement. Handling? phooey.

1 Like Save    
ubro(2a)

Americans supported the killing of Soleimani 42 percent to 33 percent.

For what it is worth, I wonder how many Canadians support it, we, after all, paid the highest price for Trump's reckless self serving act.

Save    
queenmargo

For what it is worth, I wonder how many Canadians support it, we, after all, paid the highest price for Trump's reckless self serving act.

How many Canadians have been killed by Soleimani's terrorist attacks in the past?

Why doesn't Canada stand up and do something then? It will be interesting to see how Trudeau stands up for his people.

Save    
ubro(2a)

I have no idea queen, but that fact does not allow us to willy nilly assasinate a foreign govt. official or else every country would have leader who could be a target.

Did George W Bush have any blood on his hands for his false WMD how many deaths was he responsible for, including Americans, how many Kurds was Trump responsible for?

The defense of Trump, simply because Solomanie was a 'bad man' is not enough.

Save    
queenmargo

What will Trudeau do..... waiting.....

Save    
lurker111

We wouldn't blame Canada if they took out someone who was attacking them every chance he had. We would support Canada.

3 Likes Save    
Delilah66

"Why doesn't Canada stand up and do something then? "

Not every country tries to dominate the world with a bellicose "leader."

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Esper's not helping much this morning:

Defense Secretary Epser: "I didn't see" specific evidence that showed Iran planned to strike four U.S. embassies. https://t.co/4j2GgIIirL

1 Like Save    
Ann

Delilah, some countries have very limited options. For example, with Iran, some countries don't have military capabilities to even consider.

Save    
Nana H

Trudeau will do what any responsible leader would do. Demand transparency, accountability. applying whatever pressure he feels appropriate. One thing I am sure of Canadians would never support a military strike unless it was a deliberate act.

Save    
queenmargo

One thing I am sure of Canadians would never support a military strike unless it was a deliberate act.

Well, taking out Soleimani was a deliberate act.

Save    
Nana H

What has that got to do with any Canadian response to the shooting down of the Ukrainian jet ?

Save    
Ann

Honestly Nana, even if Canada determined it was deliberate, do you think they would have a military option? With support from allies/agreements, certainly. On their own, questionable.

Save    
Delilah66

Ann, your answer should be directed to queenmargo's question. Sorry about the confusion. My comment remains valid.

Save    
Delilah66

Ann, Canada may have no ground-based air defenses, but they do have military defenses and would have the support of 5 others in the G-7. And the US depends on other countries, as well.

Save    
Ann

I do strongly think Canada would and should receive support from allies/agreements. That's what allies should do - support one another and each other's leaders when it comes to oh so important and delicate foreign policy.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Ann, what do you really know about Canada and our military readiness? It was certainly good enough to make a significant military presence in Afghanistan when the US needed us to support them there. We have always supported the US in it's legitimate defense and always will.

Canada has the military Canadians want, one that suits are priorities and values. We do not provoke nor interject ourselves into sovereign countries who neither need us nor want us.

I can assure you Canadians would be very unhappy to see 14,000 of our finest sent to defend the oil of a country whose citizens launched the worst attack on American lives.

Save    
HU-885118952

Canada should stand with Trump, as Trump stands with the people of Iran.

2 Likes Save    
Ann

HU, YES, not just Canada but all freedom loving countries!!! Every single leader and person in every "good" country in this world should be cheering and supporting the people of Iran. This is amazing!

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Ziemia, Trump said his opinion was they were going to hit 4 embassies. Another lie off the top of his head with no evidence.

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

Kathy and you have no evidence it was a lie/

Save    
Izzy Mn(4)

I have to wonder did he do this because some propaganda he saw on OAN, the "new Trump channel". Trump has been getting his information/conspiracies from FOX/Hannity but has been more and more info from OAN, because they now praise him more than FOX lately.

Info on OAN

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/12/19/journalists-blast-one-america-news-series-giuliani-087893

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

"Kathy and you have no evidence it was a lie/"

Well then the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs lied when he said this morning he had no information that four embassies were being targeted.

So much easier if they could all just tell the truth......or at the very least tell the same lie.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2020/01/12/esper-says-he-never-saw-evidence-of-threat-against-four-us-embassies/

4 Likes Save    
Kathy

I think is as good as a lie when Trump says it. Over 15,000 lies is enough evidence to surmise it was something he made up.

1 Like Save    
Joaniepoanie

The bottom line: we can’t trust any decisions this administration makes, anything this administration does, or anything this administration says.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

His administration contradicts itself. How long before Esper is called on the carpet for disputing Trump’s claim of 4 embassies were targeted.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

As I said............So much easier if they could all just tell the truth......or at the very least tell the same lie.

1 Like Save    
Ann

"As I said............So much easier if they could all just tell the truth......or at the very least tell the same lie."

Oh my!

Save    
Nana H

Esper ..... I didn't see any information about threats to 4 US embassies. He said that this AM.

Trump tells FOX there was specific information about threats to 4 embassies. Why didn't Trump tell Esper that? Oh wait it's suppose to be the other way around. Maybe Rudy told Trump and Trump forgot to tell Esper.

.......which is the lie? Why can't they all tell the same lie?

1 Like Save    
adoptedbyhounds

42% supported it, 33% opposed it; 25% said they didn't know what to think.

"If 42% support it, that means that 58% did NOT support it."

No, Kate. It means there is 42% were supportive, 33% were in opposition, and 25% neither supported nor opposed the action.

2 Likes Save    
Linda

The way I see it, Trump's actions and words since being in the White House made it mandatory for Iran to have usable nuclear weapons and therefore TEST them, if not even launch them at the US later on. He OWNS that...lock, stock and barrel! And then there's all the people killed on that Ukranian plane, for which the families of the victims should blame both Iran and Trump.

Save    
Kathy

Esper cleaned up his statement by saying Trump “believed” which is what Trump said originally. It is worrisome when there is no Iran policy and they make it up as they go along.

How is that any better than Benghazi and the mis-statements after the fact?

Save    
Joaniepoanie

So Trump is killing people based on what he “believes.” Quite frightening, and as Colbert pointed out, this is the same guy who believes windmills cause cancer. And he was planning this for seven months, so NOT “eminent.”

I think he killed Soleimani because “Obama got to kill a bad guy and I want to kill a bad guy too.” Always trying but never succeeding to one up Obama. And he knows his base would love it and look at him as a big macho man because they never question him or look at the big picture.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

I didn't see any information about threats to 4 US embassies.

He said that this AM.

Listen to the whole interview. It helps when you have all of the info.

Save    
adoptedbyhounds

When Adam Schiff can't get to the microphones fast enough to leak, it's not surprising the administration would chose to keep such an individual out of the loop.

1 Like Save    
Stan Areted

Adam Schiff doesn't deserve to know what time of day it is.

1 Like Save    
paprikash

The title of this thread is troubling. There was no “Iran attack”.

Save    
Iris GW

Iran didn't send missiles to American bases in Iraq?

Save    
maddie260

dt lives from minute to minute. he never, ever considers the arc of history, the region of the world, or other leaders. he is always after the next sound bite, the next clap from his base, and the roar of the crowd at his next rally. This is leading the United States into mess after mess after mess.

2 Likes Save    
paprikash

I Misread

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Architecture 6 American Takes on Tudor Style
Classic elements and modern twists create plenty of variations on this medieval architectural style
Full Story
Most Popular Get Organized: Take a 10-Day Simplification Challenge
Organizational expert Emily Ley helps us get a jump-start on our New Year’s clear-outs
Full Story
Kitchen Design Take Your Recycling Station From Blah to 'Ahhhh'
Revamp an eyesore setup or just improve recycling efficiency with pullout drawers, stylish containers and innovative solutions
Full Story