SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girl_wonder

Attic access in office

girl_wonder
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Any thoughts on how to be deal with a visible attic access in my 1940 bungalow? It will go in my office/library, which is across from the kitchen nook. That wall is 14’ with a pair of pocket doors creating a 6’ opening. The suggestion is to center the access just behind the door, 30-36 wide and 22” deep.

i will have four recessed lights and want to put this deco light centered. I love this fixture but wonder if having the attic access there will deter from the light.

https://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/products/jordan-valley-2-1-4in

(I would get ORB with plain etched shade, the picture on the left)

Do I try to make the attic access look better (i saw a simple deco panel on Pinterest) or make is simple so it disappears? The room is just 10’ wide, so if the access panel is close to the door, there will be about 18-20“ before the 20” deco pan.

The only other possible option is to put it in the corner on that same wall. But I want to have tall bookshelves and with the rafters, it would be 3” from one wall (so goodbye tall bookshelf). There is no other place to put it (front bedrooms are not ideal and are original to the house; the rafters would need significant reframing etc. No closets; can’t put in the garage or an exterior panel on the table, etc)

Thoughts? thanks for your help!

Comments (5)