Comments (541)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
patriciae_gw(07)

If this isn't a tempest in a teapot I don't know what is. Why shouldn't these people live their own lives? The constant media circus is pernicious and life sucking. Why go through that? Why this nitpicking here? Being born into a Royal Family is not a privilege, it is not a privileged life, it is limiting and soul sucking. No matter what your abilities you cant do that. You are stuck accepting bunches of flowers and smiling as the press calls you names and for what? You get no privacy in your family life and people who have never even seen your dog pick over your choices in ties. How about being told who you can or cant marry? A huge fuss because you want your child to not be a media toy? Oh the shame.

6 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

If they really wanted their own life they wouldn't announce anything, they'd quit giving interviews, stop making announcements, posing for photographs and get to it.

They want their cake and eat it too, typical.

7 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Looks like Harry isn't running this show.

This appears to be another former King Duke of Windsor Wallis Simpson Show.

1 Like Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

^^^^^ And drop the SussexRoyal bit. Just be good ole' Megs & Harry. No trademarking their brand, no book and tv deals, no licensing arrangements and endorsements, no press coverage. But that's not the plan. The plan is to moneytize the royal backstory- from look how grand I am to look how wrong they done me- this will all be pressed into the service of making money on their terms without cutting ribbons in the boonies or bowing to protocol and staying out of politics. Because if this were about supporting charities, what better, bigger or more prestigious platform could they home for than the House of Windsor?

9 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Zalco, that's my opinion, too, to the extent that I have one.

They're not on my radar too much.

Bad acting on their part, too bad as I used to like Harry. I think he's ungrateful.

1 Like Save    
patriceny

This isn't huge on my radar either and I don't much care one way or the other. I'm not big into royal stuff like some folks are.

But again, my opinion is that Megan knows exactly what she is doing, AND that all the media attention will not change just because of their big announcement.

Like Stan and Zalco just said, if they really wanted to be left alone making a massive announcement bound to cause lots of attention and publicity really isn't the wisest move.

7 Likes Save    
queenmargo

I am on board with you patriceny!

1 Like Save    
Marlorena-z8 England-

...the calamity in Australia with the bushfires... the international crisis with Iran.. the possible shooting down of an airliner..... yet these two smug, self satisfied numpties, seem to think they are more important than any of these catastrophic events.. more important than the Royal Family here even.... that they can make unilateral decisions like that and expect everyone to stand up and applaud..

...sorry.... doesn't wash with me.. and I'm not an anti Monarchist by any means... I think Markle had this planned all along and never intended to settle in the UK... as a Californian it really wouldn't be her cup of tea and was never going to be so.... I object to tax payers money funding their security arrangements if they are not prepared to dedicate themselves to the UK, which clearly they are not...

...I detect a lot of animosity building towards this couple over here, and I predict they will not be welcome back in England anytime soon...

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

I heard they tried to discuss it with the Queen since before Christmas and were blocked. It seems they finally decided to announce it and take the repercussions.

Save    
maddiemo

Just heard on the news they have 46% support from the British public over what they’ve done and 23% against. The rest clearly don’t care.

The Queen has now said a fast solution should be found. (She’s clearly rallied well from her supposed fury)

i don’t know if they’ll be able to have a split life between a royally funded one in the U.K. and non royal one abroad or not, but I’m sure if it’s not possible they’ll be able to make their own way financially.

2 Likes Save    
roxsol

maddiemo, a poll today said that some Canadians would support Harry becoming Governor-General.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/nationalpost.com/news/canada/a-majority-of-canadians-want-prince-harry-to-become-governor-general/amp

Following the Great Departure of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle from the royal family, which some are calling Megxit, a majority of Canadians say they’d support the Duke of Sussex taking Julie Payette’s place as the next governor general.

More than 60 per cent of Canadians said they support the appointment of Prince Harry to governor general, found a Postmedia poll conducted by Dart and Maru/Blue Voice Canada.

“There’s enthusiasm for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle because in many ways, they’re celebrities,” said John Wright, a partner at Dart. He outlined the couple’s heavy involvement in Canada, from the prince opening the Toronto Invictus Games in 2017 to the years that Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, lived in Canada, filming the drama series Suits.

With Quebec’s largely anti-monarchy sentiment, Wright found it surprising that 47 per cent of Quebecois were in support of the Queen’s son becoming governor general and taking over from Montreal-born Julie Payette.

As well, younger Canadians, aged 18 to 34, were just behind middle aged Canadians, aged 35-54, in supporting the move. At 62 per cent, younger Canadians, who tend to be apathetic about the monarchy, would be happy to see Prince Harry become governor general.

“Young people are more engaged with (this couple)” than other members of Britain’s royalty, Wright said.

The poll, with a sample size of 1,515 Canadians, is considered accurate within +/- 2.9 percentage points and was conducted on Jan. 6.

But can Prince Harry become governor general?

Well, there aren’t any rules forbidding it from happening. While the Queen appoints the governor general, it’s on the advice of the prime minister.

However, after Harry and Meghan said they were stepping down from their senior roles, a swift statement came from the palace insinuating a Sussex-sized rift in the royal family.

“We understand their desire to take a different approach but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through,” the palace said. “Discussions with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage.”

If Harry were to be governor general, it wouldn’t be unprecedented. Until 1952, with the appointment of Canadian Vincent Massey, all governor generals wereBritish lords, earls, viscounts and even Queen Victoria’s son-in-law.

The Queen’s grandson might also be well suited to the role, having grown up with the pomp of the British monarchy beaten into him, such as all the curtseying, nodding politely at foreign dignitaries and revealing no hint of partisanship. Yes, the governor general has to behave this way, too.

Either way, with little idea of what’s to come next for the Sussexes — particularly on how they’ll become “financially independent” — the majority of Canada is cool with Harry kicking around in Rideau Hall.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

"a poll today said that some Canadians would support Harry becoming Governor-General."

Not sure I'm in that camp, actually I'm sure I'm not.

2 Likes Save    
maddiemo

Perfect Roxsol. Job offers already from lovely Canada:)

I’m sure they’ll have no problems moving forward, whatever they decide to do. Maybe if our rancid media had behaved themselves they wouldn’t have felt the need to get away.

2 Likes Save    
miss lindsey (stillmissesSophie,chase,maifleur,others(8a)

“...that they can make unilateral decisions like that...”

Well that’s the thing about being American isn’t it.

You can absolutely make unilateral decisions about your own life.

Meghan and her child are American. Like it or not, no matter who she married she does not have to ask the Queen for permission to do *anything.* She is not even required to curtsy.

Her husband has chosen to align himself with his wife instead of the crown. I think most Americans understand that and by maddiemo’s account so do most Brits.

(I’m a NO to having him serve as GG.)

1 Like Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

It is a business. Just as any business when an Officer of the Corp is leaving or change in status it is reported to the Board of Directors. In this case the Board is the People, their citizens. They cannot just slip away in the night. It has to be announced and what they plan to proceed with the separation.

Andrew just announced his exit. Just because they are family the concept of Corp and employee does not change.

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Lindsey, it's all well and good claiming Meghan as an independent American who holds no truck with an ancient institution jettisoned by her countrymen. That argument rings hollow when a cypher complete with coronet and branded Sussex Royal have been trademarked and moneytized.

4 Likes Save    
roxsol

Okay, it sounds like the HT Canadians aren’t too keen on the GG gig for Harry:(

Maybe, he and Meghan would settle in Alberta...Lieutenant Governor maybe?

They could move into Edward VIII’s old EP Ranch, that he and Wallis used as a getaway. A few renos would be needed. They’d have to bundle up though, as we’re seeing high temps in the minus 20’s this week.

Seriously, I wish Harry and Meghan the best, whatever they choose.

https://www.canadiancattlemen.ca/history/history-duke-and-duchess-of-windsor-visit-their-e-p-ranch/

1 Like Save    
chipotle

Read they may have their eyes on Vancouver.

Love this comment from another forum:

3 Likes Save    

Hey, I never said I *like* their choice. In fact I think the way they have handled their choice is quite tacky and shows a distinct lack of character.

But regardless of that, it is well within her rights and even (maybe unfortunately) the modern American Way. Exploit every opportunity, look out for #1, rise to the top no matter who you have to climb on to get there.

We see that advice given here, in so many words, everyday.

That’s Capitalism baby.

(In case anyone can’t tell by my tone and word choice, it sickens me. But it is what it is, my idealism will change nothing.)

2 Likes Save    
Marlorena-z8 England-

...if they hold on to their royal titles, then The Queen has ultimate custody of their child even though he has dual citizenship... it's unlikely she would ever assert that authority I imagine, unless the couple split up perhaps... and even then I doubt it... at age 18 the child may decide to relinquish one of those nationalities, as they will be liable to pay tax to both countries...

...none are Canadian citizens... and they cannot get involved in political issues...

...making unilateral decisions like this, effectively going against the Royal Family is against all protocol and totally frowned upon... they should relinquish their titles if they wish to pursue an independent lifestyle...

Save    
chipotle

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Why the picking on Meghan? What is wrong with her that you would think she is making all the decisions. Yellow journalism told you so? Some over the top by the paper media is blaming her for this schism? Do people actually listen to themselves. There is no actual real information that people are basing their opinions on.

Royalty is curiously enough a religious belief thing. If you don't believe in God royalty cant exist. I am not a believer so I don't believe in royalty. I think it is being dealt a very bad hand to be born "Royal" I cant see any positives in it at all. People here who think they are somehow getting some benefit from it when you are not allowed to monetize your position in any way and any other massively wealthy family could make buckets from their private fortunes which royals cant-what is the advantage?

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Vancouver or Toronto , if Canada.

Save    
paprikash

I think it a shame the brothers are not as close as they were pre-Meghan. I also think it better when a wife encourages family harmony but I guess I’m old fashioned. I don’t believe you have to agree with everyone in your family but I do believe in staying close.

1 Like Save    
maddiemo

The Queen is urging for a workable solution within days.

Once this has been settled, hopefully the tensions that have been effecting them all for months will ease, and the family can become closer again.

That’s my hope anyway.

4 Likes Save    
Ann

Harry is most on my mind. With the Queen being in her 90s and loaded with experience, I think she'll handle this fine (even if she might have been caught off guard). But, the Queen won't be alive 20 years from now. If Harry looks back then and feels like he was either pulled away from his family/history/roots or like he was rude to them - he could experience guilt, confusion, regret, and sadness. If he feels he complicated the Queen's latest years, he might not like that feeling (especially if they are as close as has been reported). Also, his marriage is new. Hopefully, it will be a great and long marriage, but if it isn't, Harry will be left with all of this to sort out in his own memories. He's already had such a difficult blow with the death of his mother. I'd hate for Harry to have another difficult blow with his later memories of his grandmother as he looks back at this time. I just wish they would have waited and chosen to just do the royal thing until the Queen is no longer here. Also, it is sad to see the brother relationship like this.

8 Likes Save    
margaritadina

It happened before in the RF. In fact, the Queen became the Monarch only because her uncle chose love over the throne. The irony....

MeMeMeagan cut off her own family and now Harry's. Toxic.

How do very woke eco-warriors couple plan to '' split their time between the United Kingdom and North America''? By teleportation?

4 Likes Save    
elvis

The two also revealed that they have plans to split their time living between the United Kingdom and North America so their son, Archie Mountbatten-Windsor, will be able to experience the richness of both cultures.

Wherever they live, little Archie will undoubtedly experience "richness".

Being born into a Royal Family is not a privilege, it is not a privileged life

Um.

I’m sure if it’s not possible they’ll be able to make their own way financially.

That was a joke, right? Harry's independently wealthy to the tune of $40 mill (see above post of mine, earlier today). Meg's got another $5. They probably won't have to live in a tiny house, but of course, being the champions of the environment that they allegedly are, maybe they will knock off the excessive spending and just live the life of the unprivileged masses like us commoners. We could tell Meg about thrift shops.

Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Lindsey, it's all well and good claiming Meghan as an independent American who holds no truck with an ancient institution jettisoned by her countrymen.

Yes, they didn't exactly elope, did they?

1 Like Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

The Sussexes left their son in Canada and MM is flying out today. Neither she nor Harry have the ability to automatically live in Canada, do they? Her last stint there was work related. I wonder what she wrote under, Purpose of visit on the immigration form?

Save    
Jenn TheCaLLisComingFromInsideTheHouse(5)

A husband and wife is a relationship where the two (typically) leave their family-of-origin to begin a family of their own. A wife is expected to stand with her husband, and he stand with her - even if they're standing for something important of their own that the family if one or the other (or both) is pushing or demanding, or telling them is wrong/they can't do. You discuss, negotiate, compromise with your spouse - if you choose to prioritize taking the side of your family or they choose to prioritize taking the side of their family, your relationship with your spouse is surely not going to be very good or even last...

I don't decide for the mister what kind of relationship he has with his siblings, I talk to him about how he feels (not until he's indicated that something is up or that he wants to talk about it...Right now he doesn't want to interact with them and has said that they will have to put in the effort, show that they've changed, can respect the boundaries and decisions that he and I have made for ourselves and our children...Unless and until he indicates that he would like to do differently in regard to his siblings, I am respecting and supporting that this is his choice to make, not mine.) and we go from there. Our relationship with each other is the foundation on which everything in our household/family is built.

Megan is portrayed by a lot of the British media as being the one controlling everything, making the decisions for Harry and generally being a great big bossy AMERICAN (...the horror...!) about the whole thing. People seem to think that in the world of the royals, the woman is responsible for all the things that are bad/go wrong/terrible calamities while the man gets credit for successes/all things good (yet their less than positive actions/downright criminal behaviors get swept under the rug or blamed on some woman ruining whatever because clearly, it's ALWAYS the woman's fault. /s)...

Harry and William have known that their lives have always been heading on parallel tracks that get further and further apart from each other as time goes on - William the heir to the throne (after Charles of course) and Harry, while still a prince, needing to figure out where his effort/energy is best focused. He's not an understudy practicing until the day when it's his time to take the stage for the lead role, he's more like a supporting cast role where he has fewer lines spread over an entire production that he's expected to show up for (and he does). William and Kate dated for a longer period of time, he's the heir - the rules on who/when/how he would marry were more set, clear, unbending. The queen has had a very long life over which she has learned a great deal, including the fact that royal family marriages aren't truly any different than any other marriage in terms of being vulnerable to stresses/problems. Divorces aren't good, sometimes they are a necessary but still not good thing. A significant percentage of the world's cultures have adopted the practice of a marriage being a choice between two individuals not arranged from birth, expected to be exclusively between members of your own family, or to keep a rigid power-structure/financial control in place.

Even within HM's family/children, there have been more than enough tragedies/impossible choices/divorces...She made a commitment to dutifully serve, and the successive heirs know that when it's their time that will be expected of them as well. But for Prince Harry, her other grandchildren (and their children, her great grandchildren), she genuinely and thoroughly wants them to be happy, to make a positive difference in the world at large in their own way, to live a good life - if that means marrying a particular person - that's a good thing, something to support/permit them to do. Sometimes - okay usually - they'll make mistakes and must be allowed to struggle, to find their own way. Even (non human) animals thrive more without brutal, total, unstopping control of every minute of their lives.

Oh, and maybe *all* the mothers of the world - Megan, whoever - would be better off if people *helped* them in whatever way that the individual mother wants to be helped. Not micro-managed, nor ordered about and made to feel terrible if they cannot do everything/be everything ALL THE TIME by everyone around them who happens to have an opinion or sees them 'failing' at mom-ing. Ask the mom how you can help, don't assume that what helped you will help them, and don't just show up on *your* schedule at your convenience (I know adding a new member to the family is an exciting thing, but I'm fairly positive that the last thing someone wants after however long they've been in labor and finally given birth - is a bunch of pushy family/friends/neighbors endlessly showing up for extended visits, from the minute they arrive home exhausted). I've never even given birth, the mister and I are parents of two adopted daughters and currently have two foster children - 9, 11, and 6 y/o twins - adjusting, settling in, we've been lucky enough to get the time and space in which to do these things but it's still been a challenge! Celebrities, royals, ordinary...parenting as a general thing is *HARD*...mothers are still being expected to do everything 24/7 while dads get to 'babysit' their kid(s), to do the fun stuff and only for as long as they choose.

I think that it's a good idea for there to be an equitable division of parent duties. Some fun stuff, some not so fun stuff, responsibilities to divide between each person. Change a diaper, do a 3 am feeding, watch any other kids in the household including the newborn while the other parent gets a nap or a shower or 10 minutes to themselves finally. I'd go absolutely stark raving berserk if I'd wound up in a strictly old-school style traditionalist marriage, where the mister were the kind of guy to think that all he needs to do is go to work/financially provide for the family, but outside of working/providing the rest of his time could be spent however he wanted even if it meant sitting on the couch watching tv, ignoring everything else...He can watch the kids, clean the house, all sorts of things...just as well as I can do them. I don't know if I'd have made the right choice in who to marry if I hadn't waited and figured out what worked for me what didn't, who I was, made some mistakes and had to deal with the aftermath of a terrible relationship with an abusive individual...I took the long way, the uphill-derailed and the difficult way, but eventually I found the right person for me that I am the right person for. Having found him, makes me feel incredibly lucky, the mister does. :) A relationship between two adults with our 'creatively built - chosen -' family.

2 Likes Save    
youngquinn_gw

Harrys personal fortune , inherited from his mother is $40 million dollars...they are going to "work" towards becoming self supporting? oh really. if they wan to resign good luck to them....but dont then make money ut of trading on their celebrity status > give up the staus too

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Why not? If you have devoted your entire life to the royal family why shouldn't you get some bennies out of that? Not saying they do. If you have been picked over like a roast chicken from Costco why not get something out of it? I don't have any problem with this. Everyone else in the known universe gets to. There is absolutely nothing special about the British Royal family that means Harry doesn't get to do what is best for his family and get what ever benefit that he can. People on Dancing with the Stars get to.

2 Likes Save    

Their release doesn’t say work “toward” being financially independent.

It says work “to” be financially independent.

I don’t think they meant “work” as in “try to attain” I think they meant it as in “do a job.”

2 Likes Save    

Oh, on the Governor General thing. I’m a hard no on that. If he wants to represent the Queen in Canada (or any other commonwealth nation) he can do so—as a working Royal. If he chooses to no longer be a working royal, he loses the privilege of representing the Queen officially. If he doesn’t prioritize those duties out of duty to his birthright he definitely shouldn’t be performing them as an average citizen.

just my opinion of course

4 Likes Save    
Nana H

With you on that one Miss. Although in all honesty doesn't appear it's something he might want.

2 Likes Save    
blfenton

How many of you live tied to your brother, I don't.

How do we know that Meghan came between the brothers? Maybe Kate is calling the shots. Kate hung around William for how many years before she finally got that ring that gave her entrance to the Royals. She knows that Meghan and Harry are beneath her and her children. She's the wife and mother of the future King(s).

I will miss Meghan and Harry at the Royal events. Harry is a breath of fresh air when dealing with the public.

5 Likes Save    
nancy_in_venice_ca Sunset 24 z10

BBC Radio is almost unlistenable with so much time devoted to the Meghan and Harry brouhaha.

1 Like Save    
lurker111

Deal, or No Deal? Yawn.

Save    
Elizabeth

I am interested in how their role will now play out. I have read that they only lose 5% of their income and get to keep the royal apartment, etc. So, they are just choosing less responsibility?

I guess there is no precedent for them to go by so the Queen will have to define this.

Save    
lurker111

I seriously doubt that they need an income.

2 Likes Save    
how2girl

They don’t, he has an inheritance. The talk of reality TV & other equally far fetched money making ventures is ridiculous. He’s not being divorced by the royal family. They just want to be left alone.

While the tabloid press said he was her meal ticket into a life of wealth & privilege, the elite circle, the truth may just be that she is in fact his ticket out.

He harbors (rightly so) huge animosity towards the British media for their role in his mother’s death. The British tabloids have effectively run Meghan out of town with their relentless racist attacks and he’s refusing to allow this to continue. If this is news to the royal family then they’re more out of touch than anyone realised.

In her he has a capable & willing partner for royal duties but she wasn’t born to it so she’s equally able to retreat from it when necessary.

Their plan seems a good compromise.

4 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

This seems to be causing a greater upset than the recent clarity about Andrew and underage girls. (Which also resurrected some chat about Charles's take on fidelity.)

Or, perhaps this is being used as a diversion from that.

###

No need to wait - just go with all the speculations that pour income into the tabloids ('clicks' = $$)

Save    
dandyfopp

Hm.

1 Like Save    
how2girl

The Rights Nepotism Money Train

Don’t they have an odd stance ;)

3 Likes Save    
Marlorena-z8 England-

I have never read any ''relentless racist attacks'' by the media here against Miss Markle... no one cares what her background is, more important is whether she and her husband are committed to the UK, which seemingly they are not so much...

£20 million wedding.... £2.4 million upgrade to Frogmore House.... probably at least half a million pounds on their security each year... all paid for by British taxpayers... of which I am one.... Royal titles and privilege.... I expect to see better commitment from this couple to the UK... not to Canada... not to California.... not to Timbuktu.... there is plenty for them to do here.... although for a Californian it must be hugely difficult to adjust to life here, I grant that...

...I liked this couple when they first got together... not so much now... I feel they are insulting the country... and the Constitutional Monarchy... wanting their cake and eating it without much commitment to it... I doubt we will be seeing much of them from now on...

...they've made a gross misjudgement I think and I detect a huge backlash against this couple going on here …

6 Likes Save    
how2girl

Not quite...

The money for the Frogmore renovation was provided to the Duke and Duchess from the Queen, out of funds from the Sovereign Grant, which replaced and streamlined the Civil List in 2011." If you remember, the renovations were listed to have cost £2.4 million, nearly $3 million.

Citing royal author Penny Junor, "The taxpayer doesn’t actually pay for the monarchy at all. It is paid for by the revenue that comes from the Crown Estates. The taxpayer doesn’t pay a penny." (Not everyone agrees with her—some say that the revenue belongs to the nation, not the royalty, but the point is the same).

Save    
Stan Areted

Marlorena, thank you--others can have opinions but the matter involves YOUR country and your opinion is what is relevant.

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

Actually it is a matter of interest and importance to the entire Commonwealth albeit not as significant as it is to GB.

4 Likes Save    
chipotle

no one cares what her background is,

Yeah, right.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/09/opinion/meghan-markle-prince-harry.html

"If the media paid more attention to Britain’s communities of color,
perhaps it would find the announcement far less surprising. With a new
prime minister whose track record includes overtly racist statements,
some of which would make even Donald Trump blush, a Brexit project
linked to native nationalism and a desire to rid Britain of large
numbers of immigrants, and an ever thickening loom of imperial
nostalgia, many of us are also thinking about moving.

From the very first headline about her being “(almost) straight outta Compton” and having “exotic” DNA, the racist treatment of Meghan has been impossible to ignore. Princess Michael of Kent wore an overtly racist brooch in the duchess’s company. A BBC host compared the couple’s newborn baby to a chimpanzee. Then there was the sublimely ludicrous suggestion that Meghan’s avocado consumption is responsible for mass murder, while her charity cookbook was portrayed as somehow helping terrorists.

Those who claim frequent attacks against the duchess have nothing to do with her race have a hard time explaining these attempts to link her with particularly racialized forms of crime — terrorism and gang activity —
as well as the fact that she has been most venomously attacked for acts that attracted praise when other royals did them. Her decision to guest-edit British Vogue, for example, was roundly condemned by large parts of the British media, in stark contrast to Prince Charles’s two-time guest editorship of Country Life magazine, Prince Harry’s of a BBC program and Kate Middleton’s at Huffington Post, all of which were quietly praised at the time.

Her treatment has proved what many of us have always known: No matter
how beautiful you are, whom you marry, what palaces you occupy,
charities you support, how faithful you are, how much money you
accumulate or what good deeds you perform, in this society racism will
still follow you.

In Britain’s rigid class society, there is still a deep correlation
between privilege and race. The relatively few people of color — and
even fewer if you count only those who have African heritage — who rise
to prominent success and prosperity in Britain are often told we should
be “grateful” or told to leave if we don’t like it here."

6 Likes Save    
queenmargo

no one cares what her background is,

Yeah, right.

Welcome to our world Marlorena- everything turns RACIST if you dare speak your opinion that is disagreed with by the left.

3 Likes Save    
dandyfopp

Opinion- but demonstrably false.

2 Likes Save    
chipotle

The British press has been unrelenting in bashing Meghan. Racism has certainly played a part.

3 Likes Save    
Ann

I really liked reading Marlorena's comment!

2 Likes Save    
chipotle

No surprise.

3 Likes Save    
elvis

Me too, Ann, her opinion counts for more than that of non-UK citizens. She lives it.

1 Like Save    
Ann

I just heard the Queen urged Harry to not go public like he did. Ugggh. I just really think he could deeply regret this years down the line. You don't get do-overs with elderly family members once they're gone.

3 Likes Save    
katrina_ellen

I'm sure Hollywood will embrace them. I'm wondering, what's the real reason they are doing this? Time will tell.

Save    
vee_new

As Marlorena says I have never heard or read any racist remarks made towards Meghan; at the time of her wedding everyone was enthusiastic towards her joining the Royal Family and wishing the couple well.

Penny Junor (royal biographer) who lives nearby was on our local TV last night. She knows Harry well and said what she is hearing from the couple is as though someone else was speaking "This is not the Harry I know."

And as for Britain's rigid class society when was the writer of that comment last mixing with everyday English, Scots, Welsh people? Probably watching too many episodes of Downton Abbey.

4 Likes Save    
roxsol

British program, with varied POV.

1 Like Save    
maddiemo

Good video.

What’s reported in the press is so often not a reflection of mainstream thoughts at all.

The truth is few people really care at all. It’s just something to have a bit of a natter about, albeit it didn’t even make that grade at work today.

Not one single mention from anyone.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

maddiemo, my husband has no idea about all the kerfuffle.

Today, he was telling me about the conversation at the coffee shop in the town near us. Apparently, Tim Hortons (coffee shop) has offered free coffee, for life, to Harry.

My husband and pals thought the offer was to the British lad that was in the movie “Dunkirk.“. ( They couldn’t remember his name :) )

Ha, husband and friends are such geezers.

They all agreed Harry was great in the movie but not free Timmies great.

eta I think Canada would welcome Harry Styles as well, though.

4 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Malorena- I also thought, "Why doesn't the couple think there's enough to do there? For the people of GB?".

I can imagine the people who have supported them- especially financially- feel a bit cheated.

Save    
maddiemo

Roxsol - That’s funny:) I agree, Harry Styles would probably be quite welcome anywhere, and is probably worth a few free Timmies, but maybe not a lifetimes.

I went to see Dunkirk for far better reasons, mostly Tom Hardy ones.

2 Likes Save    
roxsol

Oh, yes! Tom Hardy

Did you watch the Peaky Blinders series?

eta Mind you, Cillian Murphy was worth watching :)

3 Likes Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Strange thing about this racism in the UK accusation is that Europeans, UK included, often claim to be far less racist than Americans.

Save    
chipotle

And how many Americans "claim" to be racist? Denials don't make it not true.

1 Like Save    

I have to admit I didn’t even realize she was biracial until I read the “exotic DNA” comment (when it was made, not in this thread).

2 Likes Save    
maddiemo

Don’t get me started Roxsol! I’m in the middle of the last Peaky Blinders series on catch up and so far no TH:( Mr Murphy is rather watchable too, so he’s managing to keep my disappointment in check.

My favourite Tom H series by a million miles is Taboo. Series 2 is supposed to be coming out this year. Can’t wait!

1 Like Save    
Marlorena-z8 England-

...rigid class society.... I wonder what happened to that...?..

...I don't wish to sound too unkind, but one of the posts above has us in hysterics... well I'll have to say it, but I've not read such bunkum, balderdash and you know what,, in some time...

...Meghan and Harry mean well, I think they are truly nice people.... but if they want to change the Monarchy, and many of us here would agree with that,, they need to do so from within, not without, which is the way they're going...

4 Likes Save    
patriceny

Miss Lyndsey, you often make me feel better. I had no clue she identified as being biracial for a very long time either. I can't decide if that's good or bad, or makes me a racist or not.

1 Like Save    

“ I can't decide if that's good or bad, or makes me a racist or not.”

Probably none of those things lol :)

2 Likes Save    
Save    
chipotle

I just heard the Queen urged Harry to not go public like he did. Ugggh. I just really think he could deeply regret this years down the line. You don't get do-overs with elderly family members once they're gone.

Maybe you should share your sentiment with Jared.

"According to the New Yorker: Fifteen years after his grandmother’s death
who escaped the Holocaust and came to America as a refugee, Jared
Kushner defends Trump's contention that refugees are a danger to the
United States. Kushner is the most despicable Trumpite of all: He spits
on his grandmother's memory."

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/who-is-jared-kushner?fbclid=IwAR0GgoWaq3UNM8G0aNv3ezVJ79eWQbKQO8FB6ahsqYo1m0pDypQWrRb-LBY

4 Likes Save    
elvis

Racism is clearly an issue. I wonder why some refuse to admit it?

Yes, go figure!

1 Like Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

If Americans and Brits are racist, I fail to see the move to North America as a solution to racism. Of course, you will tell me Canadians are not racist, but somehow, I am pretty sure Canada is not where the "financial independence" lies. So what exactly does racism have to do with this?

3 Likes Save    

I don’t think anyone would claim that there is no racism in Canada, but it certainly does take a different form. And an individual’s race is less likely to be brought up in the media (at least here on the west coast) unless it is in the context of explaining specific challenges that are encountered due to race (example residential school survivors) or a breakthrough for a certain group (example the first Sikh leader of a national political party {which isn’t race but I think you all get the point}).

3 Likes Save    
Gargamel(5a muskoka, ontario canada)

In all likihood it would never have been a “good” time for them to leave. They are wealthy so really don’t HAVE to do anything at all for the rest of their lives

3 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

How is it privileged to have to toe some silly line? If you are born into this zoo why do you have to stay? Why is this Meghan's fault?

6 Likes Save    

My sis described Meghan as the Yoko Ono of the Royal family. I think it’s a good analogy.

Everyone blamed Yoko for breaking up the Beatles, but there is no indication that the Beatles would have stuck together for much longer even without the Yoko influence. John was already getting bored and George frustrated.

And she made John Lennon extraordinarily happy, and he never regretted choosing her over his band. They remained happy and fulfilled until the end of his life and she still honours him.

We on the outside can lift our voices and howl over the demise of the Fab Four but in the end “all you need is love.”

;-)

9 Likes Save    

What I find the most irritating is this talk about Harry possibly being appointed Governor General. In light of them being good friends with Jessica Mulroney (daughter-in-law of a previous Prime Mininster) I can hear the political whisper whisper, favours favours...ewwww... IF TRUE

Save    
chipotle

So what exactly does racism have to do with this?

Are you a person of color?

Save    
Jennifer

I love this couple and think they are well suited to each other . Harry was always a little rebellious and Meghan was always a leader in her various causes. I wish them and their sweet baby well.

6 Likes Save    

Gargamel the HT Cdn straw poll says “no way” to GG Harry! Lol

3 Likes Save    

I also doubt there is a “rift” in the royal family. It is most likely speculation and imagination on the part of the Press because their bread and butter depends on sensational headlines. I’ll believe it when Buckingham Palace issues a statement saying “ we’re having a rift right now” -lol-

8 Likes Save    

miss lindsey - I thought it was a great idea at first, until I thought about the Mulroney influence possibility, and then I didn’t like it anymore -lol

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

Gargamel.......be safe. I hear that there is terrible weather headed your way. I'm from Halliburton but have taken the cowards way out and am hiding in Florida. Such a wuss.........

3 Likes Save    

Well I am jealous Nana H! The fog was unbelievable earlier this evening. I couldn’t see anything except some monster dog footprints right up at my doorstep...and I don’t think it was a dog

2 Likes Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Are you a person of color?

Wow, racist much?

2 Likes Save    
roxsol

Nana, us this week :(

Off to Cancun in two weeks, though.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

In some ways you make me miss the beauty, serenity and marvel of nature at the lake this time of year........OK, I' m over it !!!!!

1 Like Save    
Kathy

Lots of flights canceled for fog in Mi tonight.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Roxsol, about the same temps here... ..minus the minus!!!

4 Likes Save    

If they settle in Canada, I think Vancouver and environs would be a nice laid back place to live (except for the rain)

1 Like Save    
elvis

I couldn’t see anything except some monster dog footprints right up at my doorstep...and I don’t think it was a dog

The bears are hibernating, so what do you think it was?

Save    

I think it was a wolf (the print was 5” long). But I found it wierd that it would be up at my house because I thought they were shy. None of my neighbours have dogs. I find it a bit worrisome. I’ve seen a wolf once before on the golf course out back

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Wolf is wide as opposed to long oval front to back. I used to go to an area on the Canadian border and would see prints that we interpreted as a big dog. We weren't supposed to have wolves. There was a den no less.

Save    
catkinZ8a

Save    
elvis

I think it was a wolf (the print was 5” long).

The size is about right, 4 1/4 to 4 3/4" is pretty average. If you could see several tracks, that would be helpful, also was it in snow and melting/spreading, or in dirt. They tend to walk purposefully, in a straight line (they know where they're going), whereas dogs tend to meander. Also, dogs tend to drag their claws, whereas wolves set down the paw and pick it right up, cleanly, leaving a sharper print. We had a loner around our place a few years ago, no packs right nearby that we know of. Coyotes have smaller feet.

They're not so much "shy" as cautious. The one we had looked right at me, and it didn't look shy, it looked...completely wild. I never got my dogs into the house so quickly before. I guess it eventually wandered off, as it hasn't been sighted again to my knowledge, dead or alive. You're in Canada, somewhere? I'm in northern Wisconsin.

Take some photos. This guy is the expert: Adrian Wydeven. https://www.northland.edu/news/wolf-biologist-adrian-wydeven-to-head-timber-wolf-alliance/

1 Like Save    
Zeus

???

Save    
catkinZ8a

Harry's been Yoko'd.

Save    
roxsol

Catkin, I don’t understand the photoshop :(

It doesn’t make sense to have Yoko with Harry.

Yoko +John

Meghan + Harry

That makes sense.

Lucky them.

1 Like Save    
Ann

This thread is just getting weird. As far as the love they have - they've been married for about 15 minutes. Maybe they will have the most amazing life long love story, but it's years too soon to know that.

3 Likes Save    
roxsol

Ann, I don’t think it is weird at all.

You only have one life and you can’t let others decide it for you. I’d hate to have lived my life doing what others wanted me to do. I like to make my own choices :)

If they’re making a mistake, oh well. They’re not kids.

It won’t be the end of the world.

6 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

It was widely purported that Yoko broke up the Beatles.

If you don't understand the implication, I can't help you.

Save    
catkinZ8a

I predict they'll be divorced soon.

Save    
roxsol

catkin, even if it is true that she broke up the Beatles, which I don’t think it is, that is the Beatles problem. What mattered is that John and Yoko were together longer than the Beatles were together. I’d say they made the right choice.

“Paul McCartney: Yoko Ono didn't break up the Beatles. Rumors have swirled since 1969 that Yoko Ono caused the Beatles break up.

“John was just tired of the band's unhealthy rivalry and wanted to go his own way.“

5 Likes Save    
roxsol

The photoshopped picture only shows that someone knows how to photoshop, not much else.

3 Likes Save    
pb32

I just said this on another thread, but what's bothering me is some people are giving multiple examples of similar situations when the press treated royals badly (Diana), yet then go on to say this is racism. Huh.

Save    
lurker111

Using the word "racism" speaks volumes about the the person using the word. Just ignore it. Some use it to be cute, others use it due to an inferiority complex.

1 Like Save    
maddiemo

Apparently some phrases were deemed racist, like calling Meghan exotic. I had no idea that was racist, I thought it was a compliment, but what do I know.

I don’t know if Britain is racist because I only live in one city and only know a few people from different countries, who as far as I know have not experienced any.

FWIW, I think the racist card was massively overplayed, along with a lot of other guff written about them and it should all largely be treated with the tired contempt it deserves.

4 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

Harry has been Yoko'd. Too funny.

So how does this square? The couple professes "wokeness" by signalling they won't have more kids because "global warming", but they'll shuffle living between 2 continents as well as the world for various functions?

Huh?

Save    

maybe the only way to be able to consider that ^^^fairly is if they take more than they give

Save    
how2girl

Andrew who?

Save    
Ziemia(6a)

There has been chat on the role of brooches and pins. Several prominent women wear one routinely.

Many of them specify something or other. Politicians often have flag pins. Then there are those with a twist of ribbon denoting a cause.

WRT Meghan, she has seen some of 'British High Society' (and maybe royalty?) pull out "blackamoor" style.

#####

Found an older article (useful for me to see what it was like before this current uproar):

"Following the engagement announcement in November, The Daily Mail publicized one of its stories with a tweet reading “from slaves to royalty, Meghan Markle’s upwardly mobile family.” In 2016, the newspaper suggested that Markle was “(almost) straight outta Compton.”"

"Journalist Rachel Johnson, the sister of British Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson, once wrote in The Mail on Sunday newspaper that Markle could help bring "rich and exotic DNA" to the royal family. She also described Markle’s mother as "a dreadlocked African-American lady from the wrong side of the tracks.""

"“She’s not exotic," Yashere added, referring to Markle. "She’s not from a tribe in the Amazon. She’s American.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/meghan-markle-engagement-prince-harry-exposes-quiet-racism-n825516

Save    
maddiemo

Ziemia exotic can mean quite a few different things but insulting it is not. If someone wants to make it so, that’s their problem in understanding. Why is Yashere assuming it’s got anything to do with an Amazon tribe?

My Step Mother’s half Italian and my Dad described her as having an exotic look. He loved her and still does.

The Daily Mail is a notorious rag. Harry and Meghan are suing them.

One trashy paper does not speak for the majority of people in Britain.

6 Likes Save    
Ann

Maddiemo, I think the racist card has been massively overplayed in all sorts of situations in recent years. The good news is, here on HT, only a couple cling to it and most seem to be moving past it. I'll also give the moderators a lot of credit for being very helpful in solving that problem on this forum.

6 Likes Save    
HU-885118952

I'll leave it up to the British to determine how they feel about this. As an American, I think it's going to get worse. For Harry, mostly.

2 Likes Save    
maddiemo

You could be right HU-885118852......

Megan’s just signed a Disney voiceover deal for a donation to an elephant charity.

2 Likes Save    

Good for her!

4 Likes Save    
roxsol

I don’t know if this is true or not, but I read that there is not one single paparazzi picture of Meghan, Harry or Archie of the time they spent on Vancouver Island. The only photos are what they took, and released.

I’m not sure how long that will last if they move to Canada, but the break must have been wonderful for them.

Apparently, one Canadian couple has a photo Meghan took of them. Harry and Meghan were on a hike and came across the couple fiddling with a selfie stick and offered to take the photo for them.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.today.com/today/amp/tdna171006

2 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

This discussion started on Wednesday and here it is Saturday and people are still chewing it over. That fact alone should tell everyone something. And who is getting the preponderance of the picking? It is not the person raised Royal. Not the person who has a Queen for a grandmother. No it is his choice for a wife. And why? It certainly is NOT because she is mixed race. Oh no. It is because she is...…… all wrong or something. Or what ever or...……. pish.

2 Likes Save    
woodnymph2_gw

We cannot read Harry's heart, so it is premature to state here that he will regret all this down the line, when he is older and the Queen is dead, etc. etc. It is also erroneous to state that all this is somehow Meghan's "fault." Why do so many presume that Harry is "taking orders" from his wife? That is pure speculation and says more about the poster than it does about reality. I don't get the negativity from so many here. Let these two try to live their lives as best they choose, wherever they choose. The couple strike me as idealistic in their goals, not grasping.... It is far too early to judge them and their marriage.

6 Likes Save    

woody...I didn’t notice so many negative comments...now I’m going to have to re read them all :)

Save    
roxsol

woodnymph, I don't think it is Meghans "fault" either. Goodness, they are both adults, well into their '30s. I think they both really love each other, and are choosing to do what is best for them, as a couple, as a family.

As for waiting for the Queen to die, how silly. When she is gone, Charles will be king. Should they worry about disappointing him? Where does it end?

I wish them the best.

9 Likes Save    
roxsol

OH geez, someone took out catkins "beating a dead horse" pic. There is no fun to be had LOL

queenmargo, Zeus's wonderful picture of Lennon and Ono and post is gone as well :(

This morning, all that was left was my response/pic to "beating a dead horse". I deleted my post as it made no sense to the flow of conversation any longer.

2 Likes Save    
palisades_

Good for them, cutting a bit from the royal chain to have a happier life. It’s not so surprised to see it coming from wild Harry and an independent Meg.

3 Likes Save    
mudhouse

Maddiemo, I think the racist card has been massively overplayed in all sorts of situations in recent years.

This is so true, and I wish I could put about fifteen "likes" on it.

4 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

roxsol

Nana, us this week :(

Off to Cancun in two weeks, though.

Me, too! Mexico City in my case.

Meanwhile, on the North East Coast of the USA, there's record highs.

Right this moment, NYC is 68 degrees F which I think is a record breaker.

Right this moment, in Mexico City it's 71 degrees F.

20 and 21. 667 for the Celsius among us.

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

margo:

"OH geez, someone took out catkins "beating a dead horse" pic. There is no fun to be had LOL

Roxsol:

"queenmargo, Zeus's wonderful picture and post is gone as well :(

This morning, all that was left was my response/pic to "beating a dead horse". I deleted my post as it made no sense to the flow of conversation any longer."

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Back to Hay:

We certainly are blessed, aren't we, to have self appointed forum moderators.

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

I've mostly just glanced at the talk about racism and this situation.

Yes, racism exists.

You, me, the Queen, the English, the Blacks, the Whites and everything in between.

Yes, it's used as a tool to hammer anyone not in your race, with or without cause.

Hay

2 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

I still like the comment I saw about the departure.

"They're giving up a lifetime contract to star in the longest running Soap Opera."

Good luck. Hope you can pull it off.

Hay

Save    
roxsol

Enjoy your holiday, Hay.

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

"Enjoy your holiday, Hay."

That's the plan. Meeting up with my daughter. She makes the plans. I pay for it. Life is good.

Wish me luck.

Hay

3 Likes Save    
roxsol

Good luck, Hay.

You’re a good dad.

1 Like Save    
blfenton

That's the plan. Meeting up with my daughter. She makes the plans. I pay for it. Life is good. - haydayhayday

That's funny. I know that story. Have a great time with your daughter.

2 Likes Save    
catkinZ8a

8 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

"Good luck, Hay.

You’re a good dad."

Thanks....

In this crowd, this forum, I suspect there's not one of us who wouldn't, if they can, do the same.

Hay

4 Likes Save    
Nana H

Hay , sounds like our daughters have it figured out , they plan....we pay. We are blessed

Save    
soupgirl53

And if you really play your cards right, your daughter leaves you with her 18 year old cat.

2 Likes Save    

Right this moment, NYC is 68 degrees F which I think is a record breaker.

That's warmer than we will be for the next five days - mid to low 60s..

Save    
Stan Areted

Now Canada can have their very own Kardashians!

5 Likes Save    
Marlorena-z8 England-

....and their security paid for by Canadian taxpayers so I read today.... as they will be needing the support of the RCM Police...apparently at great expense... I'm not sure this will go down well with Canadians...

1 Like Save    
roxsol

There is a lot to work out:

“The Sussexes have let it be known that they expect U.K .taxpayers to continue to pick up the tab for a security detail that reportedly costs an estimated $1.1 million a year.

When Royal Family members come to Canada on official business, Canadian taxpayers cover the costs. A nine-day visit in 2011 by Prince William and Kate cost an average of $133,000 per day. A four-day visit in 2014 by Prince Charles and Camilla Parker-Bowles cost $162,000 per day.

However, if Harry is not on official business, he doesn't appear to meet the definition of an Internationally Protected Person, which would require the government to provide him with protection. That definition (as found in the Criminal Code) includes:

• A head of state, including any member of a collegial body that performs the functions of a head of state under the constitution of the state concerned; a head of a government or a minister of foreign affairs, whenever that person is in a state other than the state in which he holds that position or office.
  • A member of the family of a person described who accompanies that person in a state other than the state in which that person holds that position or office.

So Harry might be expected to provide his own security. That could pose additional difficulties, since private security guards and bodyguards in Canada are generally not permitted under federal law to carry sidearms.”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-harry-meghan-canada-1.5423395

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

I wonder if the British think it's right to pay security for non working royals? Oprah, the Clooneys, Serena Williams, they or their employer, pays their security costs.

Save    

Harry is not an Internationally Protected Person if he’s here on his own, so his security expenses would not be covered by the government of Canada

1 Like Save    
chisue

Many little girls think they want to be a princess or a queen. Kate Middleton hung in there for years, earning herself a role she understood -- downside and upside. She's done everything right, from broodmare to the smile and nod. She and William are *perfectly* dull, a requirement of the job. I don't know if William has relished his role or not. We do know that Harry does NOT, but will be saddled with some trappings of monarchy all of his life, including requiring lifelong protection from the world's crazies. I could see that having a son may have precipitated this attempt to distance the boy from such a circumscribed life.

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Calling a mother a broodmare seems belittling at best. I thought we could all respect one another's choices these days.

8 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Well, it was Kate that was referred to as a broodmare.

That characterization alone would be considered sexist in almost all circles but some.

It would be in mine, and rightly so.

2 Likes Save    
margaritadina

''chisue ....broodmare''Why don't you call a mother of three ''a broodmare'' face to face - any mother - and tell us what new you learn about yourself.

4 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

It is a reference to the traditional roll of women in the Royal World. The production of heirs and in that sense you are in fact a broodmare. The expected behavior is the sexist part not the bearing of children. Because Meghan wants to be more she is at fault? She wants to be able to speak her mind-heaven forbid that she should think let alone have more mind than is necessary. You cant have it both ways folks.

1 Like Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

No, patriciae, reducing a woman to a biological function, broodmare, is sexist. Saying that Meghan wants more than to just be a broodmare is insulting to families in general and women in particular.

8 Likes Save    

From the interviews I’ve seen with Kate, I don’t think she necessarily has a problem speaking her mind. She communicates her values very diplomatically though.

She seems like a natural nurturer with a true affinity to children. I’m willing to bet she would have had a few even if it wasn’t “expected.” And William is a wonderful father who chose a well suited life partner and workmate for himself, someone for whom being a mother would not be a burden. The fact that it was “expected” that they procreate is probably incidental, in their case.

3 Likes Save    

Off topic, but isn’t it interesting that calling a woman a broodmare is seen as demeaning or at the very least dismissive, whereas calling her mate the broodmare’s counterpart is highly complimentary: STUD.

4 Likes Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

As for this statement, I am lost:

She wants to be able to speak her mind-heaven forbid that she should think let alone have more mind than is necessary. You cant have it both ways folks.

She is an actress of no particular merit. She married into a family famously known for not being allowed to speak publicly on matters political. Nothing is stifling her from showing off her brilliance. She seems to want to hawk merchandise and services, not cure cancer or promote world peace.

2 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Zalco, when it comes to the sexist part we both said the same thing. The choice of a spouse for the purpose of producing young is sexist. They actually used to keep records on the production of males vs females when choosing a spouse unaware that it is the male that determines sex.

It is the Twenty first century. Perhaps it is time to let go of the "traditional expectations" about what a person born a Windsor can say or the people who marry them.

Save    

Maybe fictionalized (edit spelling) accounts have given me the wrong impression but I don’t think any of the Royal females have been the “shut up and keep your seat” kind of women, going away back to Victoria herself and probably beyond.

No, royals cannot express a public opinion about politics. That’s only fair, as it would not be right (in my opinion) for them to sway the general public one way or another.

But they must certainly express those opinions in private. And have you heard Prince Charles’s remarks on sustainable agriculture? They definitely veer into political territory.

Plenty of people cannot express public opinions on politics due to their occupations. For goodness sake there are Americans who want to restrict *football players* from expressing a political opinion simply due to the fact that they are at work.

I agree that these women (and men) who married in knew what the expectation was vis a vis their freedom of expression. If it is too hard for them to live up to that expectation, they and their spouses have decisions to make, as Harry and Meghan have done. Let them. But it doesn’t mean the ones who choose to stay are somehow repressed or unfulfilled or less complete human beings because they can exist within that structure without friction.

3 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

I object to the notion of "marrying in" as an antiquated notion. Surely it is time to give over such expectations. This is the notion of the wife being subsumed by the husband.

Save    

Huh? Men marry into their wives’ or husbands’ families too and lesbians marry into their wives’ families.

It’s just a way of expressing that their families become united.

I get it if you object to marriage as an institution but for people who choose to enter into that institution, they enter each other’s families too.

1 Like Save    
elvis

You cant have it both ways folks.

Meghan and Harry knew that, or should have. Maybe we give them too much credit.

Save    
maddiemo

I do wonder if their intention has been to opt out all along?

Could be the racism angle and suing the press has even served a purpose of sorts?

We’ll never know.

For me, it’s their life and they can do whatever they like and let the chips fall where they may.

I’m all for people being happier, especially with a little one on board.

If it had been Wills and Kate, I’d understand the consternation.

As far as Wills and Kate are concerned, I think they have an air of we’re in this for the long haul and they are both extremely capable. A very good match, and they also always look at ease in their roles.

My biggest objection to any word used in connection with Kate was dull! I know it wasn’t meant literally, but even so I feel compelled to say I think she’s an absolute gem.

2 Likes Save    
lurker111

Hard to believe that this thread attracted so much attention.

1 Like Save    
haydayhayday

lurker:

"Hard to believe that this thread attracted so much attention."

World's longest running Soap Opera. What's so hard to understand?

Hay

Save    
lurker111

World's longest running Soap Opera. What's so hard to understand?

Tabloid mentality. I just don't get it. I don't watch Dr Phil, either.

Save    
haydayhayday

maddiemo:

"I do wonder if their intention has been to opt out all along?

Could be the racism angle and suing the press has even served a purpose of sorts?

We’ll never know."

Almost sounds like the teasers at the end of the low budget serials I'd see at the movies long ago as a kid.

"Will we ever know? Stay tuned for the next exciting episode!"

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

"General Hospital (commonly abbreviated GH) is an American daytime television medical drama. It is listed in Guinness World Records as the longest-running American soap opera in production and the second longest-running drama in television in American history after ...

Hay

Save    
haydayhayday

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_circuses

"Bread and circuses" (or bread and games; from Latin: panem et circenses) is a metonymic phrase critiquing superficial appeasement. It is attributed to Juvenal, a Roman poet active in the late first and early second century AD — and is used commonly in cultural, particularly political, contexts.

In a political context, the phrase means to generate public approval, not by excellence in public service or public policy, but by diversion, distraction or by satisfying the most immediate or base requirements of a populace — by offering a palliative: for example food (bread) or entertainment (circuses).

What's not to understand?

Hay

1 Like Save    
lurker111

What's not to understand?

Why anyone would call that entertainment. Same for slapstick comedy and reality tv.

Save    
haydayhayday

lurker:

"Tabloid mentality. I just don't get it. I don't watch Dr Phil, either."

"Why anyone would call that entertainment. Same for slapstick comedy and reality tv."

No, you and I come to Hot Topics.

And here we are, first thing in the morning.

It's how I start my days. Get a few laughs and I'm good for the day.

Funny.

Hay

3 Likes Save    
haydayhayday

"She's done everything right, from broodmare to the smile and nod."

Just that line alone is enough to keep'em going for a day or two.

Hay

2 Likes Save    
pb32

The broodmare comment came from someone who does this on purpose. She throws out demeaning comments and then disappears on threads. Trollish. I wouldn't give it any further though because I think it's a deliberate ploy.

Save    
haydayhayday

pb32;

"The broodmare comment came from someone who does this on purpose. She throws out demeaning comments and then disappears on threads. Trollish. I wouldn't give it any further though because I think it's a deliberate ploy."

Right on cue!

Say what you want, but you have to love this forum.

Funny.

Hay

1 Like Save    

pb32 are you referring to the poster that has an animal as part of his/her name?

Save    
Ann

"As far as Wills and Kate are concerned, I think they have an air of we’re in this for the long haul and they are both extremely capable. A very good match, and they also always look at ease in their roles.

My biggest objection to any word used in connection with Kate was dull! I know it wasn’t meant literally, but even so I feel compelled to say I think she’s an absolute gem."

Me too!

3 Likes Save    

It really is a pain in the neck to “like” a comment now...

1 Like Save    
Ann

Gargamel, I'm not sure what trouble you are having or if it's the same as I'm having, but I've found my likes simply won't take on certain threads. Nothing happens. But, on other threads, it's fine.

Save    
haydayhayday

Royals with a capital R. Used, so far, 82 times in this thread.

Me, I'm white trash. On the way to untouchable.

We all need to know our place.

Hay

Save    

That would be the same P as in President

Save    
chipotle

For those of you waving a flag of denial:

Meghan Markle Gets Support from 72 Members of Parliament in an Open Letter

Women M.P.s, representing multiple parties, signed onto a letter stating
that Meghan faced unfair attacks and violations of privacy with
“outdated, colonial undertones.”

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/2019/10/meghan-markle-72-members-of-parliament-open-letter

3 Likes Save    

Wow. I thought it was bad, but didn’t follow that closely, so didn't realize how bad. What a life!

Save    
Kathy

Make sure you are on Gardenweb.com because likes are iffy on Houzz.com.

Save    
Karen S. (7b, NYC)(NYC, zone 6)

I'm just watching all this, w/out much of an opinion. But one thing seems very contradictory to me. Yes, it seems they or she are really into the whole Merchandising & 'branding' thing. If they're standing down some or distancing themselves from their senior Royal status, then why (according to press reports) have they recently trademarked all kinds of merchandise as their brand Sussex Royal. Seems it should be one or the other. Or maybe I missed something.

4 Likes Save    
Emma

Good for Harry and Meghan. I hope they find happiness.

I believe that Harry loves Meghan and that this is as much his idea as hers. Maybe more so. It isn't difficult to figure out why Meghan is the one being blamed.

2 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

This is still getting attention. Much more than the recent revelations re Andrew.

1 Like Save    
Ann

Yes, lots of attention. There was a British newscaster being interviewed today and she said it's huge news right now in the UK. Lots of talk of tomorrow's big meeting and of sources saying William talked of no longer being about to "put his arm around" his brother (meaning support these decisions) and sources saying Harry talked about a meltdown Meghan would have had if she would not have stayed in Canada (and/or returned almost immediately).

Save    

Karen S - I read that the Sussex Royal was a trademark thing, which they started months ago because other people/companies were using it to cash in on them . So in effect, they had to trademark themselves as that. I read this in Vanity Fair. (It was a believable article.)

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Gargamel (great name :-) I thought the same thing about the trademark at first. The problem with this line of reasoning is that nobody abuses the Royal Family's name commercially; and I am pretty sure that is because the RF must defend it legally, quite vigorously, no doubt. There is something different going on here WRT to commercialization.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.

1 Like Save    

I’m not sure if they would still be covered by that if they stepped out of Royal duties. I think I read something like that somewhere.

Save    

It’s really quite complicated the more I think about it...all the legalities involved. It’s never been done before on a graceful scale. BUT I think the Queen has surpassed herself in her ability to adapt and stay current, not only to all the historical and political changes she’s ”reigned” through, but also the tragedies and disappointments she must sometimes feel as a mother/grandmother/mother-in-law/sister/wife/Queen....

2 Likes Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

There would be an issue depending on where the money goes from the merchandise. If it goes to charity then no problem?

Save    

I don’t know. I haven’t been able to see their website though. It’s in limbo or something (like maybe it never existed? I don’t know if anyone has actually seen it)

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Interesting thought on this. Some people seem to think the entire Royal thing is at risk here (nonsense) but if you did away with the Monarchy you also do away with the whole system of Aristocracy since Titles come from the Monarch. I was startled to read once that you cant just give up a title. You have to have permission to do so. That Monarch thing. Weird. Maybe not true? I remember it was a credible source.

Save    
Ann

I saw their website. It was discussed earlier (in this thread) I think and I believe someone might have posted a link (or I accessed the link from an article about their website). Is it gone now?

1 Like Save    
Ann

This is their website, if you haven't seen it.

https://sussexroyal.com/

Save    
Nana H

I did read that Meghan wanted desperately to get back to Archie in Canada if that is what the "meltdown" reference may be about. It was reported in the Canadian press that they left him here because they knew there would be a big hullabaloo in England.

My sense is that something will be worked out that will allow for some level of autonomy yet would still have a role representing the Queen and their various sppnsorships. The thing I have my eye on is whether they will be allowed to stay living at the cottage at Windsor Castle. Their making money off their titles, real or perceived, is likely to be the real stickler.

Look at Edward and what a private life he lives, why not Harry.

Save    

Ann- all I see is a quick blurb (which goes so fast I can’t read it) and then 3 photos. I don’t see any entwined crown with SR

Save    

Nana H - I never hear anything about Sara and her daughters. They’ve all seemed to have kept out of the limelight (except for Beatrice’s wedding)

Save    
lily316

Harry watched his mother driven to her death by paparazzi. He wants a different life for his wife and child. The hidden racist tabloid references are toxic. They registered their brand and will donate proceeds to conservation efforts. Grand idea. I wish them well.

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

Edward is the younger brother of the future King and has been given the space to live a very private life , even the opportunity for he and his wife to have real jobs. Evidently he and Sophie have divorced recently.....who knew ? I don't get this preoccupation with Harry.

Save    

I think Edward has always managed to stay out of the limelight, from his very young days. The only thing I vaguely recall is something about Jousting or something Medieval. He and Sophie do alot of Royal engagements

Save    
Nana H

Apparently the Edward /Sophie divorce stuff is not true.....sorry to repeat before verifying

Save    
Ann

Gargamel, I'm able to click on each of the photos to enter that portion of the website. Also, I'm able to click on links at the bottom (About, Media, Funding) as well as the Menu link at the top. Each takes me into those sections.

Save    
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Fact-check. Neither Edward nor Sophie has a'proper' job outside royal duties and they are not divorced.

4 Likes Save    

I don’t get a menu or any links. When I click on the photo something written whizzes by..

Save    
Ann

Oh, it must be our different devices gargamel. It all works for me. Each section is relatively brief, high level, and not providing too many details, but it seems like a complete and working website.

Save    
Marlorena-z8 England-

I doubt we will be seeing Miss Markle back in this country again... perhaps the occasional in and out visit?... unannounced... otherwise she seems to have bolted... but there is a risk they hold the Royal Family, and the country, to ransom as they will need to be kept onside to some degree...the child and all that... so negotiations will be interesting, but public sentiment here has, in the main I would say, gone right against them for now... but there may be a way back...

Perhaps she would like to visit Sussex one day, assuming she knows where it is on the map... I'm not certain she does as I doubt she's ever been there..... one of the nicest counties in England... one of the richest too..... he would know as Sandhurst, where he trained for the military, is close by..... my nephew helped train Harry.. they had to call him 'Wales'...

Sussex is split between East and West Sussex... famous for its Sussex Trugs we use in our gardens... Thomas Paine, who lived in Lewes, East Sussex for some years... he was instrumental in encouraging your revolt against the Crown and Declaration of Independence... his revolutionary ideas began in Lewes before he went to America...

Lewes is also famous for its effigy burnings on Bonfire night... it used to be The Pope they burnt, now it's just about everybody... they also have a tradition of being anti-monarchist.... so perhaps Sussex is an apt title to bear for the Duke and Duchess...

Perhaps they should call, when next in the country....

1 Like Save    
Ann

One can certainly understand why William didn't want Harry to rush into marriage. It might have been useful to see how his fiancé adjusted to what would become her life. I can't imagine Harry planned to exit like this prior to marrying Meghan. He seemed to thoroughly enjoy his time with his family, especially his brother and sister-in-law. It was almost like Kate was a sister to him and he a brother to her. They were always laughing about something in various pictures and video. I think it would have been nice to take the time to see if Meghan would fit in and for her to see if she wanted to fit in.

Save    
roxsol

Perhaps she would like to visit Sussex one day...I doubt she’s ever been there.

Meghan and Harry visited October, 2018. The crowds were quite large.

3 Likes Save    
chipotle

I love what someone posted on another forum, so I'll share it here.

Favorite quote from To Kill a Mockingbird.

“You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view … until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.”

5 Likes Save    
roxsol

In Sussex they visited Edes House and viewed a copy of the American Declaration of Independence. They went to the University of Chichester and then to Brighton Pavillion and then to Survivor's Network, a local charity. Then they went to JOFF Youth Centre in Peacehaven.

1 Like Save    
blfenton

Prince Edward appears to have taken over a number of the royal duties of his father Prince Phillip, since his retirement.

Save    

I think it would have been nice to take the time to see if Meghan would fit in and for her to see if she wanted to fit in.

Not our decision to make.

2 Likes Save    
Marlorena-z8 England-

oh that's nice... I'm glad they've been to Sussex... I obviously wasn't aware of their visit.... they both look awfully thin or consummately healthy... I don't suppose they ate fish and chips whilst they were here... it's a staple...

Save    
roxsol

I obviously wasn't aware of their visit.

There’s obviously a lot of things people aren’t aware of, no matter what side of the Atlantic they live. People say things without knowing the facts.

I wish Meghan and Harry well.

3 Likes Save    
Marlorena-z8 England-

… a lot of things are also said in jest... British irony is much misinterpreted in the modern age...

..and I've just read Miss Markle loves dogs... she has a couple apparently... so that's a plus .. nice attitude...

1 Like Save    
roxsol

a lot of things are also said in jest... British irony is much misinterpreted in the modern age.

I agree, Marlorena.

I grew up on a steady diet of Giles cartoons and Punch Magazine. My husband owns the complete works of PG Wodehouse....about 100 books? Great stuff!

There’s nothing like British humour/irony.

2 Likes Save    
roxsol

Giles, if he were still alive, would have a field day with Brexit, Boris and the goings on in the palace.

Queen Elizabeth adored him.

“Carl Giles, 78, known professionally by the single name Giles, a popular British cartoonist and a royal favorite who gained fame in World War II for his humorous depiction of cheeky soldiers. Giles, whose affectionate portrayals of British life delighted newspaper readers for more than 50 years, was best known for his outrageous family, dominated by a ferocious, umbrella-waving grandmother. Most of his work appeared in London’s Sunday and Daily Express newspapers but his cartoon collections in annuals ensured a worldwide following headed by Britain’s Queen Elizabeth. One of the queen’s favorites was Giles’ sketch of a private lunch at Buckingham Palace in 1962 showing the legs of guests sporting tattered trousers savaged by the queen’s corgi dogs. The son of a London tobacconist, Giles drew his first cartoon on a bathroom wall and later turned down a job with Walt Disney Studios. His first Christmas annual in 1946 sold 140,000 copies, and subsequent annuals sold at least 500,000. His original cartoons are now worth about $4,600 each at auction. On Sunday in London of complications after a stroke.“

Save    
elvis

Carl Giles, 78, known professionally by the single name Giles, a popular British cartoonist and a royal favorite who gained fame in World War II for his humorous depiction of cheeky soldiers. Giles, whose affectionate portrayals of British life delighted newspaper readers for more than 50 years, was best known for his outrageous family, dominated by a ferocious, umbrella-waving grandmother. Most of his work appeared in London’s Sunday and Daily Express newspapers but his cartoon collections in annuals ensured a worldwide following headed by Britain’s Queen Elizabeth. One of the queen’s favorites was Giles’ sketch of a private lunch at Buckingham Palace in 1962 showing the legs of guests sporting tattered trousers savaged by the queen’s corgi dogs. The son of a London tobacconist, Giles drew his first cartoon on a bathroom wall and later turned down a job with Walt Disney Studios. His first Christmas annual in 1946 sold 140,000 copies, and subsequent annuals sold at least 500,000. His original cartoons are now worth about $4,600 each at auction. On Sunday in London of complications after a stroke.“

Roxsol, is it typical British style to never actually mention that Giles died, or did they inadvertently leave out the verb in that last (incomplete) sentence?

Love the description of the Corgi-luncheon cartoon.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

elvis, that is an excerpt from the LA Times. I cut the heading off. I don’t know what their style is for obituaries.

There is a proper obituary in many British publications....except he is a “favourite” in those :)

I believe he passed away in 1995.

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

When it is an obituary the death is a 'given'.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Ha, patriciae, it is, isn’t it?

eta except in the case of Jeff Goldblum;)

https://apnews.com/d43020f9437a401488db306a1d1c7de4

Save    
roxsol

https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiELMltFyRMW95f6-pBBdtxJcqGAgEKg8IACoHCAow1qfAAjCkrz8w18vGBQ?hl=en-CA&gl=CA&ceid=CA%3Aen

There’s some pretty good responses to this tweet in this article. “Never imply Canada lacks razzle dazzle.”

3 Likes Save    

Lol-those were funny

2 Likes Save    

The New York Times at its provincial best; Canada invented dazzle dazzle in North America!

1 Like Save    
Marlorena-z8 England-

Trudeau has agreed to pay half their security costs...

I'm starting to find this couple increasingly tiresome... their 6 weeks holiday before xmas cost a fortune in security... but my main objection is that they are allowing their political affiliations to become known and that is beyond the pale for the royal family... at no time do any of us here know the political preferences of any of the family, including those lower down and married into it... it's totally against protocol for them to make political statements.... yet we already know Meghan is a Democrat... does not want to live in America whilst Trump is in office... she's rather transparent regarding her politics without her saying as much...

The Royal Family and the British Establishment I think pride themselves on diplomacy... it's what we do very well here... The Queen has to entertain leaders we might regard as despots from all over the world, regardless of what they think about them... that's their job, they do it impeccably.... they cannot pick and choose which leader they shake hands with, and who they will not... Miss Markle wants to pick and choose, and thereby Harry by association...

I'm sorry.... as it stands, they are not suitable for Royal duties as representatives of the UK... they lack diplomacy, it's as simple as that, and nothing to do with anything else...but we shall see this afternoon or later this week, if anything is likely to change on that front....

Sandringham is just up the road from me... perhaps I'll whizz around and knock on the door... I should like to be a fly on the wall...

8 Likes Save    

Lucky you Marlorena that you can just whizz right over there. England is so beautiful

1 Like Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Andrew was suitable until just recently?

1 Like Save    
blfenton

I just don't understand what they're going to do in Canada, on Vancouver Island in Victoria. But, I thought this morning, maybe she's pregnant and wants to be left alone. Or maybe postpartum, although if it was that I think they would stay and be open about it.

My uninformed speculation abounds!

Save    
maddiemo

They‘re going to razzle dazzle everyone blfenton. It takes up a lot of time and funding I think.

4 Likes Save    
roxsol

A little OT, but do any Canadians remember, for those of you old enough,the kids show Razzle Dazzle that aired in Canada in the mid ‘60’s? I remember Alan Hamel hosted and there was a talking turtle on the show.

3 Likes Save    
roxsol

I just don't understand what they're going to do in Canada, on Vancouver Island in Victoria.

Hosting tea every Sunday at the Empress Hotel, maybe?

2 Likes Save    
roxsol

This is a photo from the Empress Hotel gift shop I took a couple of years ago. It made me laugh.

3 Likes Save    
lionheart_gw (USDA Zone 5A, Eastern NY)

"I'm starting to find this couple increasingly tiresome... their 6 weeks holiday before xmas cost a fortune in security... but my main objection is that they are allowing their political affiliations to become known and that is beyond the pale for the royal family... at no time do any of us here know the political preferences of any of the family, including those lower down and married into it... it's totally against protocol for them to make political statements.... yet we already know Meghan is a Democrat... does not want to live in America whilst Trump is in office... she's rather transparent regarding her politics without her saying as much..."

That's an astute observation.

Not much is ever accomplished through alienation. If you want to work with people you can't alienate them right out of the gate. Shaping things is a process that requires give and take and time.

I thought they were going to settle in Africa. I wonder why they changed their minds. I thought they may be able to do some good there, but maybe the deprivation would be too much for them. Or, maybe it would look too much like colonialism and privilege.

On the other hand, Africa has had enough historical problems with political ghettos; they probably don't need another one. Africa is finally starting to come into its own. Having royals move in only to create more political divisions is probably the last thing Africa needs.

Like you, I think it's a good thing when you can't detect personal animosities in those whose primary job is diplomacy and building good will. If you can figure out their politics in 30 seconds or less, maybe they should find new jobs. On that point, maybe it's good that Harry and Meghan are exiting their failed diplomatic professions.

I'm not terribly interested in Harry and Meghan. I find them pretty mediocre overall. On the other hand, it's probably a big deal to the Royal Family and, to a large extent, the people who have to share the same country with them. Fissures are never happy occasions within families and I'm sure there are some disappointments internally.

Too bad the Canadians will be on the hook for part of their security. I don't know if Canada will get anything out of their royal guests/parasites that makes it worth the trouble.

3 Likes Save    
roxsol

From that tweet “ sprawling, bone-chillingly cold country. ”

There’s some truth in that. Last night the temp dropped to -40 f or c, as the scales meet at that point. It will be with us for the next few days.

Save    
maddiemo

5 Likes Save    
roxsol

The Queen has issued a statement

Buckingham Palace has just released the following statement from the Queen:

Today my family had very constructive discussions on the future of my grandson and his family.

My family and I are entirely supportive of Harry and Meghan’s desire to create a new life as a young family. Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working Members of the Royal Family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family.

Harry and Meghan have made clear that they do not want to be reliant on public funds in their new lives.

It has therefore been agreed that there will be a period of transition in which the Sussexes will spend time in Canada and the UK.

These are complex matters for my family to resolve, and there is some more work to be done, but I have asked for final decisions to be reached in the coming days.

5 Likes Save    
Ziemia(6a)

Ahhh - that's why Andrew got a pass for so long - he hid his political leanings.

1 Like Save    
Ann

The Queen is great! What a calm, measured, direct, and appropriately informative statement.

4 Likes Save    
maddiemo

I know, she spoils everything!

5 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

She's a pro, it's what she knows.

Too bad her grandson and new wife aren't.

Harry being down the list for the throne is Cultural Darwin at Work.

1 Like Save    
Delilah66

It is great, Ann, and obviously heartfelt and compassionate.

2 Likes Save    
katrina_ellen

Damage control.

Save    
lily316

I love the queen and also love Harry and Meghan, I watched him grow up and think he's a sensitive young man and now I know why I like Meghan, She hates trump as much as I do. Smart lady.

1 Like Save    

When they spent so long at the Canadian embassy after their trip I thought something was up. That was a very odd stop (just write a note! Or pop into the BC Legislature to say your thanks) but incredibly odd to spend *hours* “thanking Canada for its hospitality.”

I’m positively giddy with the possibility of forthcoming razzle dazzle. The Cascades, Rockies, Fraser Canyon, and Pacific were getting a little boring.

3 Likes Save    
katrina_ellen

What a sensitive young man -What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

Save    
Stan Areted

Apparently. ;)

1 Like Save    

they found out Meghan is a Democrat and anti-Trump.

Now I understand the obsession from certain quarters!

[This is a surprise? She's from Los Angeles where only one-third of the voters went for Trump.]

No one is forcing the public to obsess over Meghan and Harry -- totally voluntary.

4 Likes Save    

Well, I REALLY like the Royal Family (just in case it hasn’t been obvious). And I really like Meghan and Harry as a couple. My sister and I went to London for a week and saw their wedding along that beautiful long road in Windsor Park. It was fantastic ! And they had the Pims tents open at dawn !

3 Likes Save    
roxsol

Gargamel, I like them, too!

Save    
Marlorena-z8 England-

As part of the royal family, we do not want to know, and more importantly, should never know, what their political persuasion is... that is the point... it's for their benefit as much as ours... I wonder if it's difficult for Americans to grasp that aspect?... Meghan still seems to be viewed as very much an American citizen only, therefore entitled to express herself.... but having married into this family, that is not the case here...

Typical diplomacy from The Queen today... we would expect nothing less from the Monarch and reflects what they do best.... what went on behind the scenes we will never know for sure... [I knocked, they wouldn't let me in]...

7 Likes Save    
roxsol

. [I knocked, they wouldn't let me in]...

Marlorena, an offering of a lovely pork pie may have persuaded them ;)

2 Likes Save    
chisue

Do I need to defend my 'broodmare' statement? I thought everyone knew that would be consorts to direct line ascendants to the throne are indeed vetted for fertility. Since she had one black mark as a commoner, Ms. Middleton would need to tick every other box to be acceptable -- including this one. She is now safely 'proven' and continues to produce little heirs, a *requirement* of her role. She's been publicly perfect -- well-groomed, sober, sweet and as little 'interesting' as possible.

I'll join you in that Pimm's cup -- gin for me.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

If Marrying into the royals means Meghan no longer has ad opinion then doesn't Harry marrying into Meghan's family mean he does? It works both ways you know. No reason why it should not unless you think you can get away with thinking the royal family can dominate.

3 Likes Save    
roxsol

The Queen is great! What a calm, measured, direct, and appropriately informative statement.

It’s nice to see that in this day and age.

3 Likes Save    

Just like the race issue, the politics issue is merely speculation. Those considerations exist, but we don’t know to what extent they entered into Meghan and Harry’s decision.

Clearly the monarchy was content with how Meghan has been comporting herself, since the decision to leave was made by her and her husband not the monarchy.

1 Like Save    
elvis

Because they found out Meghan is a Democrat and anti-Trump.

Not news. Meghan is generic Hollywood.

2 Likes Save    
roxsol

Trudeau has agreed to pay half their security costs...

Really?

"Finance Minister Bill Morneau said today the federal government hasn't decided if Ottawa would help to cover the security costs associated with a move by Prince Harry and his wife Meghan to Canada.

"No, we haven't spent any time thinking about this issue," Morneau told reporters in Toronto.

"We obviously are always looking to make sure, as a member of the Commonwealth, we play a role. We have not had any discussions on that subject at this time."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bill-morneau-security-costs-harry-meghan-1.5424988

Save    
dandyfopp

One of these things is not like the other...

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ellievhall/meghan-markle-kate-middleton-double-standards-royal

Here Are 20 Headlines Comparing Meghan Markle To Kate Middleton That Might Show Why She And Prince Harry Are Cutting Off Royal Reporters

Over the years, Meghan has been shamed for the same things for which her sister-in-law, Kate, has been praised.

11 Likes Save    
Marlorena-z8 England-

^it was reported by the London Evening Standard newspaper... re the Trudeau comment..

If Marrying into the royals means Meghan no longer has ad opinion then doesn't Harry marrying into Meghan's family mean he does? It works both ways you know. No reason why it should not unless you think you can get away with thinking the royal family can dominate.

patricia gw

Well no, not if they continue to use the titles Duke and Duchess of Sussex... they are representing the Royal Family of the UK... they are not representing America, I should say... nor themselves... as a taxpayer I want to know how they represent my country and me... they have no business spouting politics using those titles... saying they won't live in the U.S. whilst Trump is in office is political.. it's making a statement...

If they relinquish those titles and become plain Mr and Mrs Windsor then they could probably say what they like, within reason... they would still have to answer to their family...

...this is why I suspect, The Queen really wants to keep them onboard as much as possible... they - Miss Markle in particular - could become something of a loose cannon...

3 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Interesting, just saw an article that Jan 8 the Queen released a statement referring to "the Duke and Duchess of Sussex" and today, referred to them several times as "Harry and Meghan."

Hmmmm.......no emerald tiara for you now, Meghan!

Save    
cattyles

Oh god no! Not the emerald tiara!

7 Likes Save    
roxsol

Hmmmm.......no emerald tiara for you now, Meghan!

I think she's going to need a tuque/toque now.

Save    
roxsol

In the newspaper this weekend:

5 Likes Save    
Bevthebrit

I found the statement issued by the Queen to be VERY carefully worded.

Harry and Meghan instead of Duke and Duchess. I think Harry is going to be caught between a rock and a hard place.

2 Likes Save    

(I love all the British posters this thread has revealed to my awareness! Really great to hear your varying takes :) )

5 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Maybe Meghan isn't over not getting that emerald tiara!

Who knows, it was reported that Harry said what Meghan wants Meghan gets.

Apparently.

Just threaten mental health issues as Meghan has, maybe they're both unable to cope with their lives. If so better away from duty and honor and responsibilities that they resent.

1 Like Save    
Bevthebrit

If they keep up this "woe is me" attitude it may just backfire in more ways than one.

It only needs someone to question their capabilities as parents if they keep on this whole "mental" agenda.

2 Likes Save    
katrina_ellen

I don't think Harry makes very good choices.

3 Likes Save    
roxsol

(I love all the British posters this thread has revealed to my awareness! Really great to hear your varying takes :) )

miss lindsey, this has been my favourite thread on HT. Meghan and Harry are definitely a breath of fresh air.

1 Like Save    
Bevthebrit

Wasn't dissing. And you, yourself said "may". Remember she "was" an actress.

Save    
Stan Areted

It appears many people have an opinion.

I just read one on Yahoo that said, "you marry a commoner, you become a commoner."

Looks like that pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Harry cant give up his title without the consent of the Queen. She gives and she can allow you to give it up if she chooses. Meghan doesn't have a title. Her 'title' is a courtesy. the title is not in the gift of the country, it is in the gift of the Queen. So I suppose you can say they represent the Queen. The nuances of all this have fascinated me for a long time as in Harry was a commoner until his grandmother made him a Peer. Meghan is still and always will be one but she gets treated as if she was a peer as well. If you believe that being a peer gives you privileges of some sort it seems pretty thin to me to give up your all for the appearance of a privilege. Tax wise they are giving up the subsidy. Living at Frogmore cottage is another gift of the Queen.

Save    

Idk Stan if that’s true things don’t look so good for Wills, do they?

Let’s see, who’s 8th in line...

Does Ann come before Edward with the new “girls are OK after all” policy?

Save    
Stan Areted

The difference is, miss lindsey, that Kate doesn't act like a commoner.

Save    

“The difference is, miss lindsey, that Kate doesn't act like a commoner.”

Not if one believes in the concept of “commoner” and that by marrying one a royal becomes one, it isn’t.

(I don’t believe in either concept for the record.)

2 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Well, you'll have to ask the person that made the comment what they meant by it. Some couples rise to the occasion of the deal they made that they knew what they were getting into when they married and accepted the perks of that marriage.

Kate's behavior, choices, and dignity go right along with expectations of members of the royal family although she was a commoner.

Meghan, on the other hand, was a non conformist from the get go, and instead of going along to get along, her husband has adopted her seemingly narcissistic attitude. And commoner behavior.

So good luck to them, plenty of royals who will carry on the tradition with dignity and no constant complaints.

3 Likes Save    
chipotle

I can't believe how wrapped up some of you are. It's really sort of funny.

11 Likes Save    

Well you started a good conversation Chipotle !

2 Likes Save    

Stan - Carherine may not act like a commoner, but she is one...and what’s wrong with commonors anyway?

3 Likes Save    
Nana H

Prince Andrew is now 8 th in line for the throne, his daughters are 9th and 10th , followed by Edward and his children. Guess everybody just moves up two notches.

I don't mean to be grim but the Cambridges , when they fly, always fly as a family. I don't think that is any too bright. A trajic accident could get one to the number two spot in a heart beat.

1 Like Save    
lily316

That Daily Mail piece hit the nail on the head. I thought racism was only alive and well in America. Since Harry has a slim to none chance of being king, he should lead the life he wants with his wife and child. Kate was a commoner and dated William until he broke it off. Then they reconnected and she, commoner , adapted because she will he queen someday. She is raising the most adorable kids on the planet.

Save    
Stan Areted

chipotle:

"I can't believe how wrapped up some of you are. It's really sort of funny"

You can't make this up!

"Meghan & Harry choose to get their own life

chipotlelast Wednesday"

1 Like Save    

Oh gosh I guess I was presuming Andrew was out of line, literally.

What a world.

Save    

Yikes

Save    
roxsol
2 Likes Save    
cattyles

Is it, gargamel? Is it really a good conversation? ;-)

2 Likes Save    
blfenton

The use of Meghan and Harry's names by the Queen in her statement goes along with her use of the phrase my grandson and his family. For me she is indicating that regardless of what happens Harry and his family are still part of the Windsor-Mountbatten family and that she loves him regardless. If she had used the phrase Duke and Duchess that, to me, would have indicated the disappointment of the Queen.

I haven't seen anything that says Harry is no longer heir to the throne. I don't see why they can't continue to work as Royals behind the scenes. Think of the money that will be saved on Meghans wardrobe.

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

News flash, Kate is STILL a commoner and when and if she becomes "Queen" will still be except by courtesy. And what is wrong with being a commoner-which William was until his grannie made him a Duke. Only his father was not born a commoner (even the Queen was born a commoner since she was not born the Heir apparent) Oh crimney even Charles was born a commoner! His mother was not Queen when he was born-that confers on you the peerage of Duke of Cornwall if your parent is the Sovereign. Really, being called a Prince or Princess doesn't make you a peer. It is a courtesy title. These rules are amazing. Of course they are still royal for all that means. Are people who are descendants of former kings and there are a bazillion, royal?

I am not sure if even the Queen today can decide who is or is not an heir. Henry Vlll did it but that was when kings and Queens (in their own right) actually had power and George lll gave all that up. That was the source of the sovereign grant by the way. I have this book about his kids (15 of them) and what all that meant.

Save    
cattyles

What if one marries a rich American guy? Still a commoner?

1 Like Save    
roxsol

The use of Meghan and Harry's names by the Queen in her statement goes along with her use of the phrase my grandson and his family

“Historian Robert Lacey told the BBC Radio 4's PM programme the Queen's statement following the meeting was unusually personal, with several references to "my family" and "my grandson".

"It is remarkably hands-on. I mean it may have been processed through officials but this is the Queen, speaking to her people and speaking about her family, and I think coming right through it is the concern she feels," he said.

Instead of using the formal titles of the couple - the Duke and Duchess of Sussex - the Queen simply called them "Harry and Meghan".

Penny Junor, an author of books about the royals, said that the statement "read to me like a grandmother talking about the family", adding that it would "take the pressure off" the duke and duchess.

"I think they're in a very vulnerable state at the moment. I think they're unhappy, they feel isolated and unloved, unappreciated and they needed careful handling," she said.

"My reading from that statement is that the family has been sensitive to their vulnerability."

4 Likes Save    
marquest(PA zone 6)

Stan Areted

Meghan, on the other hand, was a non conformist from the get go, and
instead of going along to get along, her husband has adopted her
seemingly narcissistic attitude. And commoner behavior.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Anyone that followed Harry would know Harry was not a conformist. There is a reason he married a woman that he admired that shared his outlook of the life he wanted and the attitude to be his partner to live his best life.

His mother wanted her children to live normal not Royal. From Vegas to Africa he has shown he likes living normal and not Royal.

Bad Boy Harry

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/g19604878/prince-harry-bad-boy-moments-controversies/?slide=29

3 Likes Save    
vee_new

margaritadina

"GB hates her for a reason" This language is way too strong and most inappropriate. I have never heard it suggested over here in the UK that anyone hates Meghan or that she is garbage. At the time of their wedding we were all so glad to see someone so apparently happy to become part of our country and take her place along side HM Queen on what I believe was the first 'official visit' by an engaged, rather than married, young woman.

The Queen seems to be going out of her way to pour oil over these troubled waters, 'though I do hope she took Harry severely to task for his lack of good manners and sense in NOT discussing these problems with her before going public.

Perhaps I am very naive as I don't read the trashy, often on-line newspapers with their overt implications of racism. I know of no-one over here who holds these views.

5 Likes Save    
blfenton

(roxsol - I knew nothing about Robert Lacey's comments on BBC radio 4's PM program when making my comments)

The other thing we don't know is what type or how deep any mental health issues Harry has or may have suffered as a result of his mother dying in the manner that she did and the attacks she suffered from the media. And let's remember that the Queen misread the love that her people had for Diana and royally screwed up her response. And making her young grandsons walk behind their mothers casket in front of the entire world? I would imagine that she has some regrets and there have probably been a lot of family discussions about it and some healing that had to be done. The Queen will be sensitive to these concerns.

It has taken a lot of courage for the young royals (I include Kate and William in that) to speak up about mental health issues. When you think about, how many of us hide those sorts of personal family issues from friends and family? We don't but many do.

The fact that they're essentially in hiding in Victoria (rather than say Toronto) makes me think that something has happened which has led to this decision.

My sons are 31 and 33, close in age to Harry and William, and even though we are not Royal (although sometimes I act like a Princess as the only female in a family of males, including the cats) we, like them are still family and that's what counts.

2 Likes Save    

It’s sort of sad that the Press has such power over the views we hold.

5 Likes Save    
roxsol

roxsol - I knew nothing about Robert Lacey's comments on BBC radio 4's PM program when making my comments)

blfenton, I hope you don’t think that I thought you were copying his thoughts because I didn’t. I thought exactly the way you thought and was glad to see that someone else read the Queen’s comments the same way....words of a grandmother to her family

2 Likes Save    
katrina_ellen

I agree garamel- hence TDS on steroids.

Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

Diana, though born a daughter of the eventual Earl Spencer (she had a courtesy title at birth as The Honorable as the daughter of a Viscount) was famously a commoner and even when given the style of HRH she was still a commoner. Never a Princess which is a courtesy title anyway, nor actually a peer as Princess of Wales because that too is a courtesy. These things are so misogynist women who bear titles in their own right confer no status on their husbands and for a woman who has no title in her own right like daughters of sovereigns they actually take their husbands precedence on marriage even though they can retain their courtesy title of Princess.

You may well ask why I know (more or less because experts argue this stuff) this arcane stuff and it started in detail when I was trying to decide was Little Lord Fauntleroy an heir apparent or an heir presumptive. Reading all this weird stuff lead to wondering......

Save    
chisue

A new father *should* be thinking about his child's future.

Save    
Marlorena-z8 England-

..just to say regarding The Queen and Diana's funeral... it wasn't The Queen who made the decision for the two sons to be walking behind the coffin... it was Prime Minister Tony Blair's idea and insistence that it took place..

He was also instrumental in getting The Queen back to London to speak to the nation... I was impressed with her when she did finally talk to us and her response at the funeral itself... she just took too long to deal with it..

2 Likes Save    
elvis

Well, it's pretty obvious to me that not everyone has seen the movie King Ralph.

All will be explained to you, ROFL.

The entire British royal family is accidentally electrocuted. The search for a blood relative to ascend to the throne produces Vegas lounge singer Ralph Jones. He is whisked to England, where Royal secretary Sir Cedric Willingham endeavors to instruct him in such arts of sovereignty as sartorial elegance, masterly walk, and regal tea-pouring. Soon, Buckingham Palace sports a bowling alley and Ferris wheel...

Exciting conclusion at the link: http://allreaders.com/movie-review-summary/king-ralph-35782

Save    
blfenton

Thanks Marlorena - I was lazy in not checking who had Harry and William walk behind the coffin. I knew it was a forced issue.

1 Like Save    

Liechtenstein will be surprised to discover it is now part of the UK...

Save    

Reading an article in Sunday's NYT on Meghan's treatment by the media in GB, I would say that anyone refusing to acknowledge the bigotry displayed by the press is in deep denial about the prejudice she faces.

1 Like Save    

Liechtenstein, a micro-state with a population of less than 38,000, is in no way comparable to Great Britain -- especially regarding a colonial history, and prejudice towards those being governed in the colonies..

Save    
Bevthebrit

Well, well,well.....Meghan was Not allowed to call in, on account they did not know who else would hear the conversation.......

Save    

I wonder if the majority (?) of people in Britain really dislike Meghan as much as the Press makes it out to be. I was quite surprised when I was over there how well Camilla seemed to be accepted, whereas over here in Canada it appears to be a bit more negative,

Save    
queenmargo

chipotle

Looks like those HT voices now have Meghan and Harry to divert their attention from Hillary's vindication.

I found this comment on another thread, LOL, the same person who started this thread.

Funny huh?

2 Likes Save    
chipotle

That totally went over your head.

Save    
queenmargo

LOL.

Save    

Justice Dept. winds down Clinton-related inquiry once championed by Trump. It found nothing of consequence.

Save    
Ann

Gargamel, I have a family member who was there in the summer and noticed the very same opinion of Camilla - they said she was very accepted.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

I was quite surprised when I was over there how well Camilla seemed to be accepted

I think it took the public a while to warm up to her. She was blamed for breaking up the marriage of Charles and Diana.

I think people realize how really unhappy Charles was in his marriage to Diana, but can now see how happy he is with Camilla. I have read that she is a great stepmother.

Charles and Camilla seem well suited for each other and very much in love.

5 Likes Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

WRT this Pygmalion scenario mentioned in the King Ralph film:

Soon, Buckingham Palace sports a bowling alley and Ferris wheel...

Today's meeting at Sandringham took place in the long library, which was formerly a bowling alley, according to reports.

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

I think Camilla is terrific.

1 Like Save    
patriciae_gw(07)

So why wasn't Charles expected to act like a future King and suck it up instead of having a flaming affair? Says she who doesn't actually believe in Kingyness. He just acted like the usual mortal jerk and made himself happy with a piece on the side. How sweet. Or shall we blame the Queen who supposedly originally would not let him marry Camilla? That is royalness with a hook if you ask me. If they weren't invested in the myth of royalty a lot of pain and angst would not have happened. I don't see the privilege. Really rich people get to live in fancy houses and travel all over and own fabulous things and do wonderful stuff and no one tells them they cant have a political opinion in a world where their opinion counts for nothing.

2 Likes Save    
Stan Areted

Nana H

I think Camilla is terrific.

And people castigate us for supporting President Trump because of his morals.

And yet Camilla committed adultery and participated in publicly and privately humiliating Princess Diana and her sons, but she is terrific.

Bill Clinton's adultery is of no consequence because he's no longer president.

Guess he's terrific, too.

Oh, the double standard.

Got it.

Save    
Nana H

Trump's adultery doesn't bother me very much. Couldn' t care less who he has slept with, cheated on his wives with or paid off.

His incompetence, dishonesty , bullying, lying , putting the world in danger for his own political gain.....that gets to me.

I guess you must think the same of Melania as you do of Camilla

1 Like Save    
Ann

Yup, definitely a double standard. That whole morals/ethics thing - oh well.

Save    
Stan Areted

You don't know what I think of Melania, or Camilla.

Fact is, I don't think of either of them of any significance, no reason to judge them. They're both okay.

Save    

Trump’s affairs are between himself, his mistresses, and the women whose trust he betrayed.

However a person can’t call Trump a godly leader for the nation, a man of faith, a moral beacon wrt family values and abortion and not be thought to be hoodwinked by observers.

And that’s not necessarily in reference to any specific poster here, but I’ve seen plenty of “pastors” say it and I’ve read plenty of comments on other social media that say it.

Save    
roxsol

Gosh, that’s a lot to take in.

I’m still wondering about the song “God Save the Queen”.....what are “victorias” and why do we need to send them to her.

Laughing is good.

2 Likes Save    

We had to sing “God Save The Queen” every morning at school (along with other songs about satellites, but not every morning, lol)

1 Like Save    
roxsol

satellites?

1 Like Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

When was this gargamel?Just really curious because this came up in a discussion recently with Americans being disparaged for the Pledge recital.

Save    
roxsol

Gargamel, we had to sing it every morning along with pledging allegiance to the flag.

I remember the television stations used to go off the air at night and would play “God Save the Queen” to say the broadcasting day was over.

1 Like Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Canadians pledge allegiance to a flag, like in the US? Color me surprised. I went to private school in Canada in the 70s. We learned O Canada in music class.

Save    

It was in the ‘60’s Zalco. Those were the days of the Lord’s Prayer as well...along with Telstar, Vanguard, Sputnik (the satellites) . We had to practice hiding under our desks from the impending bomb.

2 Likes Save    

i’ve never heard of anyone pledging allegiance to the Canadian flag, Zalco

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Interesting, gargamel. The prayer part is fascinating too. I went to a private (not parochial) Catholic school, and we said no prayers at the start of the day. We did sing a short grace before eating, though. We had Mass every month and there was a chapel we could visit freely, we said the Rosary every day in May, but no morning prayer as a matter of course. And we had religion class every week.

Apologies for going totally OT.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

Gargamel, it started out "I pledge allegiance to the flag, the emblem of our country"...something like that.

I can't remember anything after that. Maybe, it was an Alberta thing.

eta Also, the hiding under the desk thing. I don't remember doing that, but I do remember the first two years of school '63-'64 they would set off a loud siren in the day and we were all told to run home as fast as we could. I don't think they did that after those years.

1 Like Save    
roxsol

https://openparliament.ca/debates/1996/10/9/brenda-chamberlain-2/only/

excerpt

Canadians have been pledging allegiance to our flag for many years in a number of ways. Two former school teachers from Alberta have written to me reminding me that years ago students rose every morning and recited these words: "I salute the flag, the emblem of my country, to her I pledge my love and loyalty".

Another Canadian told me that when growing up in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia she recited: "I pledge allegiance to the flag and to the empire for which it stands; one nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all".

It must have been different in each province.

1 Like Save    
elvis

In public school, we recited the Pledge of Allegiance every morning in class, no prayers, of course. We sang the national anthem and other patriotic songs at assemblies.

Duck and cover was a thing.

5 Likes Save    

It’s official..they’re moving to Canada

1 Like Save    
queenmargo

3 Likes Save    
roxsol

The Queen is pleased.

3 Likes Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

I would love to know what immigration category/basis they will use.

2 Likes Save    
Kathy

It might be Meghan is suffering postpartum depression. She has had several life crisis in a short period of time. Marriage, the Royal Family, extreme media, her Dad, moving out of her country. They need some private family time imho.

3 Likes Save    
roxsol

I would love to know what immigration category/basis they will use.

From seeing how they’ve been treated by the press in GB, I think they could claim refugee status.

10 Likes Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Too funny, roxsol!

2 Likes Save    
Nana H

"Yup, definitely a double standard. That whole morals/ethics thing - oh well."

No double standard at all and no basis for saying that except the usual reason.

As I said in my post I don't care about Trump's infidelity nor do I care about what role Melania played in his second divorce. . I have rarely said a bad word about Melania in fact I have defended her.

I think Camilla is terrific because she is witty, warm , has handled her role well and seems to have true affection for her step family and they for her . My reasons for having a strong dislike for Trump goes way beyond his affairs.

1 Like Save    

Roxsol, that flicked through my mind too -lol.

1 Like Save    
blfenton

If it was postpartum and with their support of mental health I would think that they would stay in Britain and talk about it. Yes, Meghan would need time but it would be explained. I don't think it's something they would hide.

I do think that there is "something" going on that has prompted these events so quickly even though they have been discussed for a while.

The original thought, if I remember. was to spend time in Africa so I am wondering why the switch to Canada. We don't really need their help in any way, unless they're planning on saving the whales.

Save    

I think there are many many issues/causes /charities (also in Canada) that would benefit from the attention Meghan and Harry could draw to them.

1 Like Save    
Nana H

Her best friend is ex Canadian PM Brian Mulroney' s daughter- in - law. Her boys served as pages at the wedding. One of them stole the show with his toothless grin in pictures of him holding her veil.

3 Likes Save    
queenmargo

I am just glad that Canada has something to talk about other than Trump;))

5 Likes Save    
Ann

Me too Margo. I'm hoping Meghan and Canada will be a perfect match.

4 Likes Save    
paprikash

Thought I heard Canada will be on the hook for a half million per year for their protection which doesn’t make sense to me. If they want to be on their own, they should pay for their own security.

Save