SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_985262593

Leathered finish granite in Fantasy Brown; Experience anyone?

Steve OnaRiver
4 years ago

New build and we're leaning toward granite in Fantasy Brown for our rather large island with sink. As of this moment, the counters will be same.

We both like the look and finish (at least as it appears in the granite yard), and also like the idea of using something a little different. For those unfamiliar, the finish is more of a matte/flat, with some slight texture to it, rather than glass smooth and glossy.

Any good or bad experiences with this product?

Comments (64)

• Steve OnaRiver
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@myshabbycottage

Thanks so much for sharing the pics. Looks fantastic in your kitchen! Love your windows too!

• Kate Zink
    4 years ago

we have leathered FB in our kitchen and both master and guest bathrooms. We love the feel of it and it has a natural look that I feel compliments the waves inherent of FB. Plus it goes very well with our design style in our Florida home. I'm very glad we made this decision especially in the kitchen. No stressing over etching.

• Related Discussions

Leather Finish for Granite- any maintenance problems?

Q

Comments (13)
    I got 4 samples of leathered black/gray/dark brown granite, Uba Tuba being one. We decided to go with Impala Black which I hope will be installed within a week. The large slab of Uba Tuba leathered at the supplier did catch my eye and I was surprised when I read the label. I thought it looked very nice. (I think it looks nice anyway, I was just surprised because I didn't recognize it.) On the sample, the finish looks waxy and I can see brush or cloth marks where the resin was applied. However, if I didn't have anything else to compare it to or another choice, I might have chosen the UT leathered. The Impala didn't show any brush marks or anything. I have tried several things on all the samples with nothing leaving a lasting mark. As far as sealing, some of the darker granites generally don't need it, though I can't get anyone in my area to agree that they would not seal any of the stones they work with. The prevailing attitude among suppliers and fabricators alike seems to be "better to seal it to be safe" but from what I've heard here, sealing ones that are not supposed to be sealed is not necessarily safe. nclakehouse, do you know what stone you have? Just curious... I'm done looking but it's always good to gather more experience in general.
    ...See More

Seeking experience w/ Leather, Velvet, Antique Satin Granite

Q

Comments (1)
    Bump. Anybody??? I know I have seen this stuff mentioned here. Maybe topics are just scrolling off faster than the right people notice them.
    ...See More

Wanted:Nice Quiet Green to Grow Old w/ Fantasy Brown Granite Island

Q

Comments (13)
    Okay, it took me all day of looking at green until I was blue in the face, but.... I think I'm in love with BM Creekside Green! I'm holding my breath and going in. Don't ask me why, but there's just something about it that drew me in when I saw it. Sorta like it was inviting me to a lazy picnic lunch on the lake. And, I think it seems to go well with the Fantasy Brown Granite I was trying to match it to. Wish me well. I will upload the finished product as soon as it is done.
    ...See More

Anyone experience with Fantacy brown granite/ marble for kitchen

Q

Comments (2)
    Fantasy Brown is marble, and no, a sealer will not prevent etching unless you do a solid sheet of plastic coating like Stoneguard which adds about $25 USD per square foot to your cost. The white granites vary a lot in consistency and performance and would need to be run through the standard tests just like any natural stone that you picked would be. It is an expensive investment to put natural stone in your home, so please take your time and be careful. The Houzz archives have plenty of posts on individual types of stone, so you can research those as well.
    ...See More
  • tsjmjh
    4 years ago

Count me as one with no issues with leathered granite. I have a large kitchen table with an Absolute Black top and have had no problems with cleaning; there are no cracks or grooves. I've yet to see a scratch, even with young grandsons "building" things on it.

I've used granite in kitchens for close to 30 years and have yet to see a stain. There are so many possibilities in granite and I happen to like movement and color. Some day my likes will be back "on trend," lol.

• April Williams
    3 years ago

This is the counter tops I am considering. Anyone have any better pics with white cabinets ????

• maryssullivan
    3 years ago

Today, We looked at granite, marble and quartz. We fell in love with the Fantasy Brown. Found a small piece that had been leathered To bring home. The texture is minimal. I don’t see how anything can get hung in crevices. It may depend on who does the finish. Touch before you buy.

• abcdlatham
    3 years ago

How “rough” the leathered finish feels can depend on the stone. We looked at Jet Mist both honed and leathered and couldn’t feel much if any difference between the two. Other types of stone (especially ones with lots of variation) had significantly more texture when they were leathered vs honed.

• Kate Zink
    3 years ago

I've had leathered FB in my kitchen and both bathrooms for over a year and have not found a single spot that anything could gather in. It's just not that textured so I don't know how anyone could feel that anything including cleaning products, food, etc would get 'stuck in a crevice'. We felt no difference between leathered or honed either.

• HU-523720004
    3 years ago

Has anyone had FB in a kitchen with creme cupboards (kitchen crafts seashell colour)??
    I’d like to use antique copper or a Venetian bronze (brown with copper highlights) cupboard hardwood. Hoping to find a warm brown in the FBaa I have dark brown hardwood floors with grain colour almost black

• Steve OnaRiver
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@April Williams, That slab looks great! Did you end up getting it?

We ended up going with leathered FB in the kitchen and honed(?) in the baths and laundry room. (I think that was basically an effort to "share" the rest of the leathered with other people, and I guess just to change things up and I think my gf felt the honed was more formal, which is what she was going for in the master bath. Can't believe I haven't taken a good pic of it yet. Will do today and post asap.

As far as the texture, it took some work to find some with a decent texture. I can't imagine this texture really being able to "hold" anything like bits of food, but I guess we'll see (or not!)

• Steve OnaRiver
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Updated with pics.

• chicagoans
    3 years ago

It looks beautiful! What a great kitchen!

Will the perimeter counters be the same as the island? I'm asking because, although you didn't ask for opinions on your backsplash, it looks like the tile is going to compete with the counters. With the movement in the counters you might want to choose a very subtle, not busy, backsplash. (Maybe do a new post when your perimeters are in.)

• Steve OnaRiver
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Perimeters are the same as the island. Thanks for the comments though!

• teaforwendy
    3 years ago

Gorgeous, what color are your cabinets and walls?

• Steve OnaRiver
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sorry for the delay, trying to wrap this project up! Cabinets are Pure White and the walls and ceilings are First Star.

• Anne Weisbeck
    3 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I’m hoping to find a slab or two of fantasy brown that is mostly gray like yours. I love the movement in it, but I really want to avoid brown as much as possible

Steve OnaRiver thanked Anne Weisbeck
  • Steve OnaRiver
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Been in the house for a little over a month, and no issues with the leathered finish as of yet. We'll see how it goes. Very pleased so far. Someone asked for a more completed pic, so here it is. Pretty much done, still waiting on the backordered fridge trim kit.

• Suzanne Florio
    3 years ago

I have been reading these comments for weeks and finally decided on a leathered Fantasy Brown. The slab I picked actually has a very flat feel with only a little bit of texture on certain areas. Does anyone have experience with Granite Shield with their leathered product? Is it really worth the money?😳

• Sandy V
    3 years ago

@Suzanne Florio

If Granite Shield is the sealant that your fabricator charges extra $$ be aware that it may change the surface look of leathered Fantasy Brown. I read on this forum that these high dollar sealants can make leathered look like plastic.

We had the stone company use the standard sealer that came with the install price. We went with leathered Fantasy Brown and love it!

• Kate Zink
    3 years ago

Sandy V that's good to know. I had considered having mine sealed with that expensive sealant but couldn't find enough info on it that confirmed it was worth the $$. Now I'm so glad that I didn't spend the money. We also went with leathered and love ours!

• Sandy V
    3 years ago

@Steve OnaRiver

Your kichen looks amazing!
    We also went with Pure White cabinets and Fantasy Brown leathered counters.

• Suzanne Florio
    3 years ago

We ended up having it professionally sealed because I was so nervous. the finish still looks beautiful! it literally sparkles at sunset. Still waiting for the backsplash so I can really enjoy it.

• Deborah Guidry
    3 years ago

We are getting ready to change
    Our granite countertops to the leathered version of fantasy brown. Would love to see pics with your backsplash. Want to get some ideas. Was warned to pick something a little boring since there is so much movement in the fantasy brown. Hoping to see some pretty ideas - don’t want to do boring. Lol. Thanks in advance.

• staceymsp
    2 years ago

@Steve OnaRiver I know these are from forever ago, but my husband and I picked out leathered fantasy brown and I am trying to decide on flooring. Do you know what type of flooring you put in your kitchen? I think yours looks awesome! Thank you.

• HU-966231155
    2 years ago

I am also choosing our kitchen white cabinets charcoal island fantacy brown granite and arabesque backsplash champagne gold hardware

• HU-966231155
    2 years ago

• Kate Zink
    2 years ago

HU-966231155 gorgeous! Please post pics when finished

• clt3
    2 years ago

@Deborah Guidry, we definitely picked a backsplash tile that is not boring with our leathered Fantasy Brown.

• nhb22
    2 years ago

clt3 - Could you show a close-up of your backsplash and tell us what it is? What paint color did you use in the room, and is the kitchen open to your family room? Love the rounded cabinets!

• Arsala Ali
    2 years ago

any updates from @Steve OnaRiver for the maintenance on fantasy brown! We are leaning towards it too.

• clt3
    2 years ago

@nhb22, I’m sorry I just saw your question. my backsplash is a 3D cube tile by Quemere designs. The paint color is SW Sea Salt. My kitchen is not really open to my family room, there is a staircase in the way.

Staircase with built in bar between kitchen and family room.

• nhb22
    2 years ago

clt3

LOL You are a few days too late. My tile was just put in this week. 😀 I love your tile, but seeing a close-up, it would not have worked with my granite. My Fantasy Brown has one small area of that teal color in it. It's really odd. The small patch looks like a Peacock and sits on the small cabinet area next to my range. We call it our good luck emblem.

Thanks for getting back to me. Your home is gorgeous!

• Arsala Ali
    2 years ago

@nhb22 the slabs we are getting are FULL of teal but that's why we love it!

• Phil Furniss
    2 years ago

We are also considering Fantasy brown for a kitchen island and countertops in a new build. After looking at tons of slabs in the warehouse, we really like the non-reflective surface of the leather finish. Our kitchen will have a lot of natural light as well as over island lighting, and I think the reflection of those lights will take away from the beautiful natural pattern of the stone. I like the three dimensionality of the leather finish too. Does anyone out there agree (or disagree?)

• Anne Weisbeck
    2 years ago

Phil Furniss-We got the polished and have overhead lighting, undercabinet lighting, and a lot of natural light, and do not get a reflection from them on the countertop. Personally, I felt a small piece of the leather finish, and did not like the way it felt under my hands. But we also couldn’t get any slabs of leather finish in our area, and would have had to order something site unseen. So that probably influenced our choice the most. But I love our polished fantasy brown and the way it sparkles in the light and I have no regrets about my choice. I don’t think you could go wrong with either finish though and should go with what your gut tells you

• Kate Zink
    2 years ago

Phil - my husband and I prefer the really natural look of our leathered FB. Ours has some sparkle that can be seen with overhead and natural light so for us, that's the most of a reflection that we would want. You see the beauty of movement in the stone without being stimulated by the shine of polished. It truly gives the room a natural look with a genuine 'feel' of stone which is why we fell in love with it over granite, quartz, etc or polished anything. The beauty of it leathered compliments our style and our lifestyle. If you fell in love with the slab at your builder then it speaks to you the same ours did.

• Arsala Ali
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Here's the final look we went with! Posted about 6 months ago when wr fell in love with this countertop.

• juliabennett222
    last year

We installed leather finish Fantasy Brown in our last house and we absolutely loved it. Paired really well with heirloom/rustic cabinetry and a green/grey island. It did scratch easily, for example there were small white scratches under the fruit bowl and coffee machine from them being slid over while cleaning. Had to tell our cleaning lady and others who worked in our kitchen to be careful! Also scratched from someone cutting something directly on counter. So I would be aware of that! I still would do it all over again though. It was one of most complimented features of our renovation.

• juliabennett222
    last year

These show the finish a little better.

• HU-589995719
    last year

We’re pre-demo for our kitchen remodel and chose Fantasy Brown (leathered) for our island and Black Pearl (leathered) for the perimeter countertops with all white caninets. Has anyone done this and if so what backsplash and floor tile did you choose?

• HU-226659057
    last year

Sounds yummy!

I am using black leathered havent decided on shade . looking at FB leathered. Also have white cabinets and a rustic stained island.

• Kathy Jerding
    last year
    last modified: last year

What did you all use for floors? i have FB countertops in a bathroom and can’t decide on flooring

• jkt107
    last year

I have FB in two bathrooms and my laundry room. I used Daltile Octagon and Dot in white with a light gray grout in the baths and Montauk blue slate in the laundry. Happy with both.

• Kathy Jerding
    last year

jkt107
    Thank you! The Montauk blue slate is very pretty!

• Serene D
    last year

I am deciding on Fantasy Brown for my kitchen countertop. Anyone have any problems with FB after all these years with etching and staining? I haven't seen a leathered version, but I really like the shiny slab with all the colors that I saw.

• Kate Zink
    last year

Still love my leathered FB countertops. No staining or etching. Just be sure to keep it sealed and wipe up any spills (although I'll admit my husband isn't as meticulous but still no stains). I agree it is a hard decision to make but now I really prefer the leathered look in my kitchen and bathrooms. You still will have all the colors and beauty in leathered so I suggest finding a slab and envisioning it in your home to decide. Good luck

• adamsfam2
    12 months ago

Installed FB in new build 18 months ago in kitchen, island & perimeters. Also master bath. Honed finish, did not pay for sealer to be done. I reseal myself, not very often. Our aesthetic is rather traditional with modern farmhouse twist. Pure white raised panel cabs with light light glazing, Plain white gloss subway tile, lots of window, lighter wood flooring. With 11 grandkids in & out, this counter has seen a lot already! Spilled Easter egg dyes, wine spills, also had turmeric sit for a couple of days. All cleans up with no problem. I will say, with lots of backsplash ideas here, it all depends on your preference. I prefer a minimal look & the fantasy brown with wood floors was all the interest I wanted. The plain backsplash lets the counters take center stage like they want to! They are the stars of my show. Love love love. Be sure you have a good fabricator & installer! Your finished look will depend on it!!!!

• Alissa Bloch
    5 months ago

We are picking fantasy brown with white cabinets and new white oaks floors. I would love to pull in the champagne bronze hardware. Has anyone done this color scheme and what backsplash did you use to tone down the busyness of the FB. Thanks in advance!

• nang44
    4 months ago

To Alissa Bloch, you just described my new build!! i ordered champagne bronze for mine too, so excited for the FB LEATHERED for countertop, but wondering the same about backsplash. im keeping my eyes peeled for any advice! here’s to us!

• acm
    4 months ago

maybe start a new thread rather than tagging onto a 3-year-old discussion? plus, then you'll get notifications of your responses, etc.

• nang44
    4 months ago

Gotcha, thanks a lot.