SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Uber assault allegations

lucillle
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I read a local news article about a legal action against Uber relating to an alleged sexual assault. In the article: Just ten days before the lawsuit was filed, Uber released its first-ever safety report divulging the number of reported sexual assaults by its drivers. According to the report, Uber received 5,981 allegations of serious sexual assault in the U.S. over the course of 2017 and 2018. More than 3,000 of those sexual assaults were reported during 2018 alone, according to the Associated Press.

When I was young (starting when I was around 10) and lived in Manhattan I would hail a taxi several times a month to take me home after an extended day of walking around or a trip to a museum, and I don't recall ever having any safety concerns at all. The worst thing that ever happened to me is when I was short of cash one day and could only tip ten cents and the cabbie got mad.

I no longer drive and have been using Uber for a few years now. The worst that has happened to me with Uber is that a new driver had a gps glitch and could not figure out how to pick me up so I got a different driver. But the allegations in the article concern me for myself and for my grand baby who will be using Uber in her future. Considering the billions of Uber trips even if all the allegations are true the assaults happen to a very small percent of riders, but it concerns me nevertheless. Uber is responding with various safety advice and assistance, detailed in the link above.

Comments (18)