SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sneus

Why is my ice cream banana plant turning pink?

Sandi N
4 years ago

I've never tried growing a banana plant before, but I thought I would add it to my plantings this year. I purchased 2 plants from a nursery online and they were beautiful when they arrived. Now the pseudostem and leaf edges are turning pink on both plants.

Prior to them turning pink, I repotted the plants from their tiny nursery pots, using Nature's Care Organic and Natural Potting Mix by Miracle Grow. I have them under (4) T5 grow lights with a couple of plain cool-white house bulbs (I thought they'd help out since I have a few other plants sharing the space until they can safely be planted outdoors). They do sit next to my south-facing window which is covered by a porch. They still get a little late afternoon sun through the window in addition to the growlights I have on most of the day. I water them about once every 4 days; the soil is just barely damp when I water them each time. I live in Queen Creek, Arizona (about an hour SE of Phoenix), so we lack humidity.

I only found one post online regarding a banana plant turning pink, and someone suggested it might be a nitrogen deficiency, so 2 days ago I gave it a dose of the banana plant fertilizer that came with it. What could I be doing wrong? Thanks in advance!

Comment (1)