OT......writers who need to go back to English class !

yoyobon_gw

While reading a weekly column written by our county historian I stopped and groaned at this sentence where he is describing a couple married for 71 years who never left their hometown :

" Despite the fact that neither was a world-traveler, they were faithful to each other through the years."

Does that mean that only world-travelers (sic) are faithful marriage partners ?

SaveComment21Like
Comments (21)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msmeow

That's funny, Bon! The two things don't seem to have anything to do with each other.

Yesterday at work I was reading a letter from a charity asking for donations. It was so bad I wanted to mark it up with a red pen and send it back to the writer, pointing out that they would probably get more donations if they sent out a decent letter. Even a quick re-read should have caught a lot of the errors. Things like "Kids are afraid to go school because of bullying."

Donna

Save    
yoyobon_gw

There is a screaming need for copy editors for these people. At the very least they need to hand it to a trusted friend and ask what they think of it before publishing it.

When our grandson was in third grade his teacher would send out e-mails to parents with the worst spelling and grammar imaginable. *shudder*

Save    
carolyn_ky

I think part of the present-day mistakes is that people rely on spell check to catch errors. There is a grammar check also that maybe they are not aware of.

Save    
socks

Donna, I don’t understand what’s wrong with the sentence you shared. Should it be “kids are afraid of going to school?

1 Like Save    
cooper8828

I saw an article last week calling someone's death "unprecedented". Umm, I'm pretty sure all deaths are unprecedented.

Save    
colleenoz

Socks, or even “kids are afraid to go to school”.

Save    
msmeow

It’s missing the second “to.” “Kids are afraid to go school” rather than “afraid to go to school”.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

A headline in our newspaper this morning, announcing that our local Wegman's will discontinue plastic bags this month read :

"Wegman's to ditch plastic bag use"

Ditch ? In my world that is a slang word and one I wouldn't think would be a choice for a newspaper headline

Save    
msmeow

Bon, maybe they couldn't figure out how to spell "discontinue." LOL More likely they used "ditch" due to a limited number of characters allowed in the headline.

Donna

1 Like Save    
annpanagain

I might make myself unpopular here but I deplore the discontinuing of the useful plastic grocery bag and no substitute being offered.

When there is so much plastic used elsewhere (I recently bought some wafer-thin cheese slices triple wrapped in plastic and my butterscotch pieces are individually wrapped too) what was the point as I have to buy plastic rubbish bags to put my waste in the community bins here as newspaper wrapping tends to get wet from peelings etc and breeds flies.

I agree about the short headlines. I used to write a newspaper column and had to keep the heading snappy or it got changed. I got that task as my husband was appointed editor of a small local rural paper and I was told that the editor's wife normally wrote the page for women!

Save    
vee_new

Annpan, we run a local quarterly paper just circulated within the area and paid for by the Parish Council. We don't 'write' the articles but I have to do some heavy editing on the ones sent in from the various village organisation.

John does the clever stuff . . . the layout takes ages. One minuscule mistake and you can guarantee someone will pick it up and report back. ;-(

Type in Ducktown Echo for a fun-filled 10 minutes of reading.

1 Like Save    
colleenoz

Annpan, reusable cloth bags are available for about $1 in most supermarkets. I have a bunch of them which live in the boot of my car, ready for use when I shop. I also have three larger (and admittedly more expensive, but pretty and handy) nylon fabric bags which fold up into flat pouch and live in my handbag where they don’t take up much room but are always with me. The supermarkets generally have heavy plastic bags for a few cents if you need one and don’t have one. Personally I prefer the cloth bags as I’ve never had one get a hole poked in it from some sharp-edged item, causing it to essentially shred itself into oblivion and strew my groceries over a wide area; or to lose a handle and similarly dump my groceries everywhere.

It is a pain to have to buy bin bags when they used to be free, but a roll which lasts for months is about $3, so it’s not a major expense.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

You can buy or make any kind of tote you need.....or even knit/crochet them from "yarn" made with strips of those plastic bags !

I have used reusable totes for years and would never consider having anything put into a plastic bag. I have also purchased a great shopping basket from BasketsofAfrica which ship free. The oval two-handled shopper basket holds quite a bit. ( found in the Ghana Bolla baskets )

Save    
msmeow

Vee, I read your summer newsletter. It sounds like a lovely small town!

Donna

Save    
vee_new

Thank you Donna. It is really only a small village but surprising what goes on here; some of it better left unreported!

Save    
astrokath

South Australia has been a leader in getting rid of plastic bags. Like Colleen, I have a few nylon ones in my handbags and a bunch for the supermarket. I understand we need plastic bags for the rubbish, but most people brought home way more plastic bags from the supermarket than they used for rubbish. We only ever use one per week.

Our bookshop has also gone over to all paper bags.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

There are trash /rubbish bags sold which are biodegradable and compostable. Some cities provide huge paper bags for trash pickup as well as part of their trash collection service.

Save    
carolyn_ky

We are required to use purchased paper bags for leaf pickup in the fall, or you can just put the leaves directly into trash cans, which is what I do. There was a notice at my grocery store recently that they will quit using plastic bags in 2025. Wonder why the rush?

Save    
yoyobon_gw

Our leaf pickup is at the curbside and the leaves are left in piles which are sucked up by big trucks on certain days. It is forbidden to put any yard waste in the trash cans. Once a week there is also brush pickup , curbside....and especially after a storm. The recycling pickup is so particular they will sort through your can and leave any items not allowed by our country landfill.

The ban on plastic bags has come down from our state governor who tends to be very proactive about these issues. Many stores are stopping them ahead of the actual ban date.

Save    
astrokath

We have three rubbish bins, one for general rubbish, one for recyclables and one for green waste. Originally this third one was only for garden waste, but now can include food scraps, although we don't use it for that as we compost our vegetable waste.

The general one is collected once a week, the recyclables once a fortnight and the green bin once a month.

We don't need specific leaf pick up as so few of our trees are deciduous.

Save    
yoyobon_gw

I don't agree with leaf pickup because it is just as easy to simply put them in a pile at the far corner of your backyard and compost them. Most people are too lazy to do that so the town sucks them up and makes compost themselves.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Styles How to Plan a Quintessentially English Country Kitchen
If you love the laid-back nature of the English country kitchen, here’s how to get the look
Full Story
Simple Pleasures Simple Pleasures: Get a Book Club Going
Kick back with friends and a thought-provoking read for an event that’s entertaining and educational all at once
Full Story
Life Decluttering — Don't Let Fear Hold You Back
Sure, you might make a mistake when tackling a decluttering project, but that's OK. Here's why
Full Story
Residential construction specializing in kitchens & bathrooms. A complete service business covering everything... Read More
oe Morgado has over 30 years of well-rounded construction and masonry experience. He brings authentic artisan... Read More