SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
share_oh

Bringing home a puppy mill survivor tomorrow...

share_oh
4 years ago

If all goes well at our meet and greet. We have to bring our 2 big dogs to the rescue to meet our potential new furbaby. She's an almost 7 year old toy poodle who was surrendered from an Amish puppy mill around Thanksgiving. She's been living in a foster home.

Her foster mom said she's extremely scared of everything but she is also curious about the world. She's taken her on walks to the park and she seems to love looking out the car window at everything, and she loves walking on a leash now.

She has only slept in a crate up until the other day when she had her on the couch next to her, not touching, and she felt comfortable enough to go to sleep, which was huge progress!

I've only seen a few pictures and 2 short videos but she touched my heart.

My 15 year old toy poodle passed away in October. We were going to wait a while and think about getting another dog but I really miss having a little one to hang out on the couch with.

I have a lot of experience with rescue dogs and abused dogs, but not puppy mill survivors. Back in the day when I fostered for about 10 years, the Amish were not giving up their used up dogs like some of them are finally doing now.

I've read up on what to do and expect and of course every survivor is different. With the progress she's made in a month, I am hopeful she can continue to progress. Our goal is to make the second half of her life so good she forgets about the first half.

I am nervous though! Wish me luck! If anyone has any experience you would like to share, I'm all ears!

Comments (32)