SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
jazminike

"Your living room is like a hotel room"

jazminike
2 years ago

We constantly get this feedback from guests. Any advice to improve the space?

Comments (20)

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

I would take that to mean there is no personalization, nothing that speaks to who you are--your travels your hobbies....I think a home should tell people WHO you are, what you are about.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

Is this a rental you own or your home?

• IdaClaire
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Well, that's a darned nice "hotel room"! I think it's lovely, but the floor to ceiling sheers DO bring to my mind a hotel. However, what it makes me think of is the Four Seasons, which is not a negative association. I do think there is something resort like about the window wall, the window treatments, and the balcony glimpsed beyond. But otherwise it's a very serene, uncluttered, sophisticated room.

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    2 years ago

Hi. I think your room looks fabulous and it is not necessarily an insult. I like many hotel rooms.

Your home should be how you want it to be.

I would say, If you were my client, I'd advise you of the following"

1) It is a little crowded with chairs. If possible, I'd remove the single chair by the sliders

2) I don't see any lamps. Are there any?

3) I'd place the sofa pillow on one end and add a second one.

4) The books on the coffee table are small. I'd place a couple of coffee table books there.

• IdaClaire
    2 years ago

^^^ Good advice.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

If those art art prints The first thing I would suggest is going to a gallery or 2 and finding art that you really love. A nice textured throw in a color you love and I agree one too many chairs. I personally don’t like a bunch of stuff all over so the room looks good to me . You do need some more lighting. When our kids were young my MIL always commented our place looked like no one lived there and I took that as a compliment since she was the clutter queen . I saw no reason to have kids toys everywhere or a bunch stuff on my kitchen counter,

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    2 years ago

I get the same comments about my home. Again, consider it a compliment. Fine to add some coffee table books in areas that interest you.AND your guests.

• PRO
    The Cook's Kitchen
    2 years ago

Less brown monochrome and more of your favorite color would give it more connection to you. All of the color is at the floor level. Bring some up onto the walls and drapes and pillows.

• homechef59
    2 years ago

I love the rug. Rug envy.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Consider it a compliment and say thank you. You try very hard to live a serene lifestyle that is uncluttered. If you like it, it's awesome. Don't ever give others the power over your happiness.

• katrina_ellen
    2 years ago

I think darker framed art would give it more depth and warm it up.

• Allison0704
    2 years ago

You have a pretty room. Great rug. The only suggestions I would make is an arched floor lamp (scroll to "Similar below"). Either metal or fabric shade, your preference. If not, at least a floor lamp or two (not matching). A few personalized accessories and books on the coffee table and console. Bring color from your art into the room with a mix of pillows (no matching). The chairs don't bother me if you need them all for guests. If not, move one of the matching chairs to another room. I don't think people mean it in a negative way, but I can understand how it might sting a little. I don't know anyone that wants their house to look like a hotel, but have heard/read the exception of those that want a hotel-like master bedroom.

• jazminike
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Such positive and really helpful feedback. I’m inspired to make some minor changes to the room and hope to share a photo with the progress in the comments ☺️

• njmomma
    2 years ago

Not a Pro.

Love @Allison0704 post.

What a great room!

To add to Allison's post, you need to leave a piece of you in the room.

A small beautiful photo album of some fun shots of you, friends and family on the coffee table. Possibly a book on your favorite hobby, or the town you live in. The books create conversation.

Also, a small dish of wrapped candy, maybe candy kisses, hard candy or mints. I know every time I have a butterscotch candy at someone's home, I think of my grandmother's home. Such fun memories come to mind :-)

jazminike thanked njmomma
  • jmm1837
    2 years ago

It's nice, but a bit impersonal. I'd probably take out the two armchairs (the space seems a bit crowded to me) and add a few more personal touches. My living room tells a story about where I've lived and places I've visited - art picked up along the way, copper trays from India and Turkey, a few pieces of glass from Italy, ceramics from Greece, etc etc. I think a little more of you and your story would add character to the space.

jazminike thanked jmm1837
  • tangerinedoor
    2 years ago

I will be unkind and say I agree with your guests!

The room looks dead to me.

Start with some new, more exhuberant, cushions: those ones look squashed and sad.

The only color, practically, is in the rug. I didn't even notice how great the color of the rug is, because my eye goes right to brown furniture. All the furniture has about the same weight, too. There's no lighter furniture and heavier furniture. It could look much more engaging if there was variety.

The room could do with more texture, too, and less matching of the whites.

The wall has those two framed art works, but it ends up looking bare. Consider putting some color from the rug in those pieces

Are those real plants? (Another motel feature.) If not, get real ones. Fuss over them. This will liven up the room.

Yep, color, texture, relative weight, living things, VARIETY.

jazminike thanked tangerinedoor
  • Olychick
    2 years ago

I think it's a great room and would take "hotel" as a compliment (but I can't imagine giving "feedback" to my hosts' home - unless this is an airbnb or something?)

I agree with what others say about personalizing it a bit. I can't tell if you have room, but I might take the throw and put it in a good sized basket on the floor to add some texture. It looks a little too "staged" as it is now, folded on the sofa.

Maybe, besides larger books and maybe some draperies with some weight to them, some pillows with a little more personality? Just some ideas, not together of course:

jazminike thanked Olychick
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago

Hmmmm. I think the issue is simply too much "slick" and a climate clash. Every piece of seating is leather. I don't see the dark brown leather in a tropical setting. The glare on prints is yet another hard shiny surface, as is the coffee table. Perhaps the rug came from "Up north" with the sofa?

Lose the sofa for a fabric covered. There are SO many wonderful indoor outdoor fabrics that will sustain through pool and beach combers. Lighten up the rug, add art needing no glass,

Lightening the palette to acknowledge the view and sheers........and clarify which climate : )?

jazminike thanked JAN MOYER
  • jazminike
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you, Jan. We live in Abu Dhabi, U.A.E.

• tangerinedoor
    2 years ago

In that case, it's definitely time for some changes!

Kilim cushion covers, a beautiful, local, metal piece of artwork (bronze? brass? silver?), handwoven throws, softer fabrics on the furniture... really show off that rug..e.g. glass more-to-scale coffee table, so you can see it and it goes with heft of the rest. Yep, I agree with Jan, eliminate some shine-ies.

jazminike thanked tangerinedoor