SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swolfcg

Stopping Backsplash

Steph
4 years ago

I originally planned to use expensive terracotta tile, then it switched to expensive statuary marble, which had me end the field tile low, halfway below hood opening. I’ve since found cheaper marble I like better (in pic left of oven) and go further up. Problem is, I can’t go to the top because my ceiling is curved. Any suggestions? The pattered tile is the feature going above my oven. Thanks!

Comments (639)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

that bed is darling. and love the colors in the fabric.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

I happen to think the bathroom is cute. I love vintage. You seem to have some other things going on, so I'll just back out of this convo altogether. good luck w/everything.

• Related Discussions

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Sorry Beth, I was confused by your comments and suggestions about the room. I didn’t think it was so bad. It sort stripped me down because I literally worked on it for five months, from stripping all the trim, replastering and refinishing the floors twice by hand. It doesnt seem like a lot but I’m a perfectionist and this whole house has not been taken care of in close to 80 yrs. I’ve been dealing with flooding and crooked service workers lately. I’ll delete any mention of this room from this conversation.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

NP. like I said, I think the room is cute, and I said so. the tables are fine. and I also said that. I just always bring up other ideas and pics just in case someone wants something different or hadn't thought of something. that's the only reason I did that, it had nothing to do with what you did to your room.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Steph. One idea for the tables is to get a piece of glass cut about 2-3” wider than table top. It will protect table and give a bit more surface. Is bedding all white? If so, how about bold green.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Flo, I’m done with the room until I can see the drapes up. I have a hip designer that’s going to help me with wall paint, once I’m ready. I really need to see the drapes up to figure it out.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Not sure what happened here but while I was putting together a mock up for you, I couldn’t find the drapery photos. So sorry if you aren’t ready for any further steps. Just tuck this away.

• homeingreece
    3 years ago

Your original plan looks spot on to me.

• homeingreece
    3 years ago

Ignore me. Am struggling with my App today.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Flo I wasn’t seeking design advice on that room. I apologize for the confusion. I deleted every picture and discussion on that room because of this.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Ok. Just playing with ideas. No big deal.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Well, I’m completely at a loss. Fireclay is unable to get my order right. At this point, I do not have enough of the same tile to complete the job without forgoing trim. I posted the pics and issues working with Fireclay. It seems their QA took a nose dive. They are not even checking the product they send out.

At this point I’m not sure what to do. Forgo trim and miter top or sell what I can and start over again?

• lmp1959
    3 years ago

Hey Steph- just wondering how you resolved your backsplash?

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Still not done. Fireclay bent over backwards and remade the tile in another color, but it was again different than the sample. The tile I received was a tad too white for my kitchen, but I was resolved to use it. The problem is my tiler is so backed up, it gives me way too much time to think. I ended up buying marble 3x6, which I wanted all along, but everyone said no. Here’s the super white 4x8 with charcoal grout.

• lmp1959
    3 years ago

Too much time to think- I understand! Why no to the marble tile?

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Most stated it would be too busy & would compete with my Statuary marble island. They thought that my island should remain the only star. I have too much going on with the green cabinets. I picked a honed marble. I went to a big box tile store, and picked through every box to their horror, but I got every good piece. The tile was 49 cents each. Just need to find a good grout. Tried oyster grey (too dark) and Snow White (too white). I’ll take pics tomorrow.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Also no trim pieces for this so I’m doing a tray liner.

• lucky998877
    3 years ago

You just needed to go with your gut. Strangers can give you advice, and ideas to think about...but in the end only YOU know what you love, and only you will make morning coffee in that kitchen :)

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

True that. I have two realtors that want to sell my home, because I made it clear I’ll probably leave as soon as I’m done and I’m military so there is time limit. Both told me to do things that are completely wrong for my home like painting the exterior gray and every room white. I’m not doing any of that, even if that means my realtor thinks it won’t sell fast. I got offers on my last condo before listing and no staging was necessary. I rather do what I think is right and love where I live, than have a bland fast sale in a couple of years.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here’s the house before I started scraping it to hell and back. Can you imagine this home gray? A realtor told me to paint it grey yesterday.

• ljptwt7
    3 years ago

I'm with you Steph! Much prefer a little personality to bland. And I can't see why people need to stage a home to sell, can't people envision anything? No personal photos because people can't see themselves in the home.... Really???? I look forward to seeing your finished kitchen and I bet you have no problem selling!

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank You! Here is the honed marble next to the color of my sage green cabinets. 49cents, hopefully it doesn’t look cheap. there were lot of uglies among the boxes I picked through.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

@ljptwt7 More people CANNOT envision a home than those who can (who are on this website constantly, like you and me). Some realtors know how to properly stage and others just follow trends. Grey on the outside of a house can turn off A LOT of people. My former realtor made us paint our center hall colonial white (it was a pretty deep blue with ivory trim), and paint the kitchen white. She sold my house after 4 other realtors couldn’t. And she had a team of contractors that just worked for her. She absolutely believes most buyers need help “seeing” the house for themselves. I think she’s right. My mom can’t see anything decorative unless it’s already there. My dad was great at it.

Steph: I love the marble with the green. Good for you to go through all the boxes to get the best pieces. I think you need to do what makes you happy at this point and stop listening to everyone on Houzz. Obviously you will get opposing opinions. You’re the only one that needs to like it. And your yellow house is adorable. It’s a good color for its style.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks all. I’m currently working on the last two original cabinets and plan to paint them the same green and feel this marble ties it together, not the odd man out. I don’t know what my issue was with Fireclay. They definitely have a diverse selection of colors and shapes, but I couldn’t find a color that worked with the sage green cabinets that I already started. I have enough tile to do three kitchens, what waste.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

Put on FB Marketplace and Craig’s list. You will sell them.

• lmp1959
    3 years ago

Love the marble tile you picked- looking forward to seeing the finished space!

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! It’s getting there. Tile store was out of white jollys. I keeping people up the griege one. Seems work.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Quick update. Installed a 4x8 Frost subway from Fireclay. Frost grout. Painted tops same sage green as bottoms. Walls still need to painted.

• dsimber
    3 years ago

🤗 Perfect!!! It’s been a long road, and I’m thrilled for you! I love it!

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, it’s getting there. It will be better once everything is painted. I have lots of stripping and repair work.

• smh225
    3 years ago

Love your kitchen makeover. Your house is charming. Did you add a new range? If so, what range did you select?

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes I have a new double oven from LG. Got it because of the short doors. Frankly, I rarely use the bottom part, but comes in handy when making different items.

• dsimber
    3 years ago

That’s a gorgeous range!

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here’s what it looked like when I moved in.

• smh225
    3 years ago

Very nice change! Did you add under counter lighting?

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes I had lights installed under my two top cabinets, right before tiling. It was only on 50% when I took the picture. It was lot of work & $$ to go through the plaster and connect them both.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Also replaced the fluorescent bar light above sink with three pucks, and of course hood lights. I don’t care for the lighting from the chandy, but it looks cool there.

• dsimber
    3 years ago

Months of deliberation and effort have led to beautiful results! In your grand reveal today, is that a test square to the left of your doorway, directly above your new tile? It looks like a good match of whites! ♥️ Sorry you have so much prep work to do before you can paint? Any concern about lead? Please, if you haven’t already, have it tested. 🙏🏻

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

LOL, the house was built in 1943. I’m currently stripping the paint off the front and yes it’s all lead.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

No I’m not concerned, just have to be careful. Respirator, IR heat strip, wet sand. Most is coming up and off with heat. I already stripped the window trim.

• dsimber
    3 years ago

That scares me! I write this out of serious concern for your health. According to research I did for a previous home, those would not be adequate precautions. Maybe you are taking other measures? I’m not assuming that you haven’t researched this carefully, but I feel an obligation here. Below is just one of many articles with specific steps. It is the first that popped up in my search just now.

https://www.health.state.mn.us/communities/environment/lead/home/exterior.html

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

LOL, ok thanks. I’ve done plenty of research.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I do not have children in the house btw, and I use a lead paint rated respirator. Lead paint is everywhere in a old home. There is nothing you can do but minimize the risk and remove it. You can’t incapsulate peeling or alligator-paint. I’m actually making it safer for the next owners by removing it completely.

Don’t buy an old home if you are frighten of lead paint.

• dsimber
    3 years ago

i understand those issues. Still, exposure to lead is very serious. Please don’t misunderstand my intention. I want you--and any followers--to be safe. And when it comes to lead, you cannot be too safe.

Professional removal--and disposal--is highly recommended. (My son is an environmental engineer, but even years before that, I had to be informed because we did renovations in a couple of older homes. Though our budgets were smaller than most, we sacrificed some of our aesthetic goals to pay for professional lead removal and asbestos abatement. One measure taken by them: everything including windows was covered with heavy plastic, including double layers in all doorways. They also had access to proper disposal of materials which is critical.)

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Like I said, I’m taking all steps to mitigate exposure to myself, neighbors and the environment. There is no asbestos. I appreciate the concern, but I’m not sure what else I can say to assure you. We are beating a dead horse now.

• dsimber
    3 years ago

Thank you. I’ve been following your thread since the beginning and am delighting in your results. 😊

edited to add: I didn’t see your last sentence until now. I think my legitimate concerns were shared with care, so I find that comment inappropriate and offensive. I’m not one of those designers who make outrageously rude comments about an OP’s taste. I don’t see heavy mil plastic covering anything, so how could I know if you were doing that. You didn’t list it as one of the measures you were taking.

I’ve enjoyed your dilemma, but I will discontinue following. Best of luck. I know your kitchen will be beautiful when done.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I really appreciate that. It’s definitely been a journey. I’m renovating the whole house inside and out.

• Steph
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This isn’t a restoring old homes thread and I wasn’t providing any advice to people here, so I’m not sure what I did wrong. All I wanted to do was update on the progress of my backsplash. I wanted to get back on topic, after stating the 2nd time I was taking measures and appreciate the concern.

• ljptwt7
    3 years ago

Beautiful! Love the black, green and white color palette.